Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
slider37

How to increase Situational Awareness? More reports from "lookouts?"

12 comments in this topic

Members
88 posts
4,838 battles

This morning I ate 3 torpedos from a friendly DD, who then yelled at me in chat: "Watch where you're going, Aoba!"

I started thinking.  The game already announces over the air: enemy sighted on the horizon, enemy battleship sighted, etc.

Why can't the game also add announcements like: friendly torpedos fired at 7 o'clcok; terrain ahead; friendly ship near collision at 4 o'clock, etc.

I don't think these types of announcements would rob the game of realism.  On the bridge of a real warship, you will have lookouts all around to provide such info to the captain.  

Just a thought...

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
1,976 battles

That one's really not on you anyway.  If the DD launched torps while you were between him and the enemy, he broke a cardinal rule of torping.

• Cool 1

Members
88 posts
4,838 battles
3 minutes ago, Das_Schlippo said:

That one's really not on you anyway.  If the DD launched torps while you were between him and the enemy, he broke a cardinal rule of torping.

Of course it wasn't on me.  I was engaging a cruiser and a battleship with my main guns within 10 km range when I heard the torps slamming into my ship.  I actually thought they were from the carrier plane, and didn't understand what that chat msg was about.  Not until the end of the battle when I looked at the summary did I realize they came from the friendly DD.  

[NWNG]
Members
2,818 posts
4,676 battles
1 hour ago, slider37 said:

Why can't the game also add announcements like: friendly torpedos fired at 7 o'clcok; terrain ahead; friendly ship near collision at 4 o'clock, etc.

Voice Overs like "torpedoes to port" most certainly should activate even for friendly torpedoes. As it stands, only enemy torpedoes activates the voice over... HOWEVER: The beeping, and visual indicators, DO activate for friendly torpedoes, as well as enemy torpedoes. So we still have something for friendly torpedoes, I just want there to be more.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,734 posts
15,946 battles
1 hour ago, Das_Schlippo said:

This guy gets it ...

8 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

The beeping, and visual indicators, DO activate for friendly torpedoes, as well as enemy torpedoes. So we still have something for friendly torpedoes, I just want there to be more.

Because I've pretty much given up on the player base learning from their previous mistakes ...

[TNG]
Members
5,159 posts

Because then you get to the point of voice overload. There are already warnings for any kind of torps, different icons and symbols for other things as well. Changing these warnings to a voice warning doesn't improve them, and will actively deter the existing voice warnings.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
1 hour ago, slider37 said:

This morning I ate 3 torpedos from a friendly DD, who then yelled at me in chat: "Watch where you're going, Aoba!"

I started thinking.  The game already announces over the air: enemy sighted on the horizon, enemy battleship sighted, etc.

I don't think these types of announcements would rob the game of realism.  On the bridge of a real warship, you will have lookouts all around to provide such info to the captain.  

Just a thought...

Probably more than what's required for this game, honestly.  Besides, the game already spoon feeds an almost excessive amount of aural and visual information to players.  Some room has to be left for the user to exercise their own SA and initiative.

I'm a fan of more realism but frankly WoWS isn't the right platform for that sort of thing.

[SBS]
Members
3,981 posts
2,408 battles

I like the idea.  I'd suggest a "friendly torps inbound" warning the very moment the torps are inline to hit you.  

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
1,976 battles

I would advise against getting really mad when you get green-torped.  I mean, I try to avoid the inbound fish, but if there is no escape I will just eat as many as possible and hope he enjoys 14 games of pink.

Members
376 posts
5 battles

That's on the DD for being drunk enough he thinks he's allowed to dump torps wherever. Wouldn't be a problem if torps either didn't hit friendlies or did no damage to friendlies but *shrugs* too many people with mental issues thinking that FF is a good thing. 

Sign in to follow this