Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Throwback Thursday - Destroyers

19 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,304 posts
7,307 battles

DbuwUDaV4AAtNtn.jpg

Destroyers have been dubbed "the greyhounds of the sea". They have multiple roles and can be used in many tactics and strategies.

What's your DD play style and how do you use it to your team's advantage?

@BTed72 many thanks for the Tweet!

https://twitter.com/WorldofWarships/status/989579875013902336

#throwbackthursday

#destroyers

#anchorsaweigh

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Members
122 posts
5,394 battles

It depends on the nation, I play pretty aggressive with my Benson. With IJN start on the  fringes and try my best not to be detected. While I have both Russian & German as well, just don't enjoy them as much. 

[DRACS]
Members
4,417 posts

Contest caps hard right from the start and focus all my wrath on enemy destroyers. This is why I'll never play either IJN torpedo DDs or the Khab line of Russian DDs. If i and the rest of my team can take out all the enemy DDs in a Domination match, we should be able to win. Unless my team is high on potatoes. Which unfortunately, it often is.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,857 posts
5,325 battles

Think this about sums it up for me in IJN lol

Edited by vonKaiser

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

My Destroyer playstyle is called "keep playing DD and hope Wargaming decides to reward players for things that aren't pretty much just damage and kills."

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
10,353 posts
19,654 battles

Spotting, opportunistic ambusher, team smoker, and cap taker; (fighting over caps is for crazies with better twitch skills than I have.)

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,632 posts
11,692 battles

It depends heavily on the team composition. Step one of any game is to check the team list.

1. If there are carriers, your scouting role is going to be more secondary and you will have to operate closer to the main fleet, if you are DFAA equipped the role may change
  2. If there are high numbers of destroyers you may need to assess where you stand, are you a Benson in a game of Fubuki's, or an Ognevoi with 3 Gearing's per team?
  3. How much radar is the other team

In general -

• In carrier-free games prioritize scouting more than you normally would
  • In carrier-games prioritize teamwork more defensively around caps
  • In games with lots of DD, screen your fleet more
  • In games with fewer DD, go more aggressively for caps

In general I'll want to try and move up on the caps, coordinate and communicate with my team. I will NOT smoke for no reason on the edge of the cap, but will smoke team mates and  then provide spotting where possible. Presuming a successful cap I will then assess whether we're pushing through or falling back and determine between spotting, dealing damage, staying quiet and going for another cap or smoking.

Beta Testers
1,940 posts
10,762 battles
  1. Screen for BBs in Shima.
  2. Take lol-torps from Gearing aiming at said BBs.
  3. GG.
Edited by chewonit
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[FAP]
Members
45 posts
4,988 battles

As some have said it really depends on the nation.  When I play Ninjas (ie IJN) I try to take CAP but retreat in a hail of torps if it is contested.  Same if not supported by my teammates with other DDs.  Will fight to the death if I feel I am getting support and have a good knife fighter.  Beyond that I try to spot for my BBs and support with offense when I think I can get away with it.  I do try to play as a teammate when not running in to islands and doing other stupid things.  

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
1 hour ago, chewonit said:
  1. Screen for BBs in Shima.
  2. Take lol-torps from Gearing aiming at said BBs.
  3. GG.

Succinct. Me Gusta.

[IKEA]
Members
139 posts
3,208 battles

I've been grinding mostly Yugumo and Hatsuharu lately.  For the opening cap contest I'm usually outgunned so I take a passive stance of contesting at the border ready to run.  If I have a large concealment advantage and support then I will shadow the enemy DD while my team whittles them down.  If they smoke then I torp the smoke and that either kills them or drives them off the cap.

If I'm still alive the game shifts to lobbing torps at BBs rather unsuccessfully or down choke points (also rather unsuccessfully).  If enemy DDs are near I will try to shadow them if I have a concealment and support advantage.  Also continue capping when I think the opportunity presents itself.  Half of my deaths feel like they come from blind torps that I am poor at dodging, with the other half it's a surprise coming around an island.

[WORX]
Members
3,847 posts
14,947 battles

IJN DD well

• From Tier 1 to tier 6 its fun to play
  • from tiers 7 - 10 its depressing.

everything you learn from the bottom tiers, well throw that out the window in the high tiers. IJN DDs. Usually these are your priorities

1. Spot
  2. Spot
  3. Maybe contest a cap if your teammates cleared it
  4. Then at the very end DMG a BB or two
  5. Spot again

Then you have the American/German/Russian DD line which is totally different from the Nerd IJN DD Line. Everything you learn on these lines are still valid from tier 4 to tier X. Once you have learned the skills necessary to be productive on these lines then its easy to pass by the tiers no no problems.

If the AMerican/German/Russian DD lines are the mainstream lines with the IJN DDs being the nerd lines. Then comes the PA-DD line which is the outcast of out cast, my heart goes out to these PA-DD drivers they choose to be outcasts. I have nothing against the PA-DD line but compared to the mainstream line they are viewed as the freaks of the DD community. Both an oddity/rarity. That in of itself  is worthy of my respects. That is how I play my DDs. Cheers!

[TEARZ]
[TEARZ]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
417 posts
9,401 battles

Russian dds = be annoying, take focus of the concealment dds and make life easier for my cruisers. Assist other dds in taking caps by killing the other capping dds.

IJN dds = cap with stealth, spot other ships and fire torps at tactical targets. Prevent without being seen and create chaos in the back field.

German dds = cap aggressively by using your stregnths, your job is simple kill the opposing capping dds while providing sonar detection to the fleet behind you. Your torps are only limited by your imagination in game, finding the sweet spot takes patience and skill. This line in my opinion  takes the most skill to make use of all its traits. 

US dds = Gun boat friendly with little exception for the concealment expectations of the other lines. This dd line requires more guts to play and must learn to play as a support ship until you reach tier 8 and above. Ambush style tactics along with great smoke make them ideal for dps dds.

PA dds = Take IJN and US dds and make a baby and that is the line from tier 8-10. This line requires more thought in torp targets but basically revives the old IJN gold standard in torp detection. You have to use more gun play on limited gun platforms until tier 7 and learn to place your torps wisely. Even though you can not torp enemy dds you can use your better concealment to cap and also contest caps. This requires a more aggressive understanding of who your opponents are but also greater awareness of the map. The longer the game goes the greater of a threat you become. 

[NOBUL]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
3 hours ago, Canadatron said:

My Destroyer playstyle is called "keep playing DD and hope Wargaming decides to reward players for things that aren't pretty much just damage and kills."

Pretty much this.

Seriously WG, your lot figured out how to do this in Tanks bloody ages ago, why not get your aft in gear and apply the same (or at least similar) things to Warships?

[WOLF9]
Members
3,745 posts

I play in Co-op, so DD tactics are necessarily different there, but:

60+% of my DD games overall are in USN ships, with Russian being the second most favored.   Recently, that figure tops 90%   With Sims, Nicholas, Farragut, and Mahan being the favorites, currently.  Benson is likely to become another, but I only have a handful of games in it so far.   The rest of the recent games are in the tier 5 Pan Asian, as I'm grinding it right now.

I'm too aggressive for my own good usually- esp for fighting  the " We HATE DD's!" Co-op bots.  I like to play DD hunter, cap contester, and gunboat.   If I can get away with it- torp ze big dummies!, too.   They also make good ambush predators.  This is why I love the US line- it's so versatile.   It's a high adrenaline, high risk, and sometimes high reward playstyle.  (the rest of the time it's a get ded fast playstyle, lol)

My cruiser main roots show all too often, as I usually forget I even have smoke or speed boosts most of the time...   Now that I have the knack for the 5"/38's- shooting the doo doo out of things until they quit squirming is often too tempting to pass up.   I guess you could call that my favorite tactic- when I'm not trying to trash things with my death logs.:Smile_teethhappy:       SMASH THE DD!!!!   BLOW THE HELL OUT OF THE BB!!!

And is it just me, or is it totally satisfying to burn down CV's;  Torp CV's and/or citadel them with puny DD guns??   Serves em right!

[WOLF9]
Members
3,745 posts
4 hours ago, Hobobeast said:

As some have said it really depends on the nation.  When I play Ninjas (ie IJN) I try to take CAP but retreat in a hail of torps if it is contested.  Same if not supported by my teammates with other DDs.  Will fight to the death if I feel I am getting support and have a good knife fighter.  Beyond that I try to spot for my BBs and support with offense when I think I can get away with it.  I do try to play as a teammate when not running in to islands and doing other stupid things.  

Oh yeah- I forgot to add running into islands as part of my DD playstyle...    I'll sink those rotten stinkers one of these days!

[WOLF9]
Members
1,499 posts
6 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

DbuwUDaV4AAtNtn.jpg

Destroyers have been dubbed "the greyhounds of the sea". They have multiple roles and can be used in many tactics and strategies.

What's your DD play style and how do you use it to your team's advantage?

@BTed72 many thanks for the Tweet!

https://twitter.com/WorldofWarships/status/989579875013902336

#throwbackthursday

#destroyers

#anchorsaweigh

Santa Cruz wasn't ranked, if it was, Mahan would have gotten so sick of his own fleet's  abuse that the captain would have screamed banzai, raised the Rising Sun banner, and TK'd  the big E.

[INTEL]
Members
1,321 posts
11,194 battles

I play USN DD's almost exclusively. AA builds and fearless vs CVs. I scout, sometimes very close to the reds. I swat spotter and cat fighters with glee. I'll gladly intercept a strike wave on its way to a target if I can. I also tend to help our CV win the fighter war.

I'll push a cap but have no issue abandoning it if I dont have support or the reds brought more than I think we can handle. I also tend to stalk red DDs that are trying to be sneaky. I'll smoke a teammate anytime I can and stay outside the smoke to just maintain spotting as well.

I don't worry too much about special rewards, I finish near or at the top of the team a lot of the time anyway.

Sign in to follow this