You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Radical_20

Measuring the quality of a sinking... objectively.

14 comments in this topic

Members
122 posts
8,283 battles

One reason people drive BBs is the kill shot. The shot that wipes an enemy off the map. Not the plink, dink and doink kill where you wear a guy down slowly over many shots (though those are rewarding too). But the big shot.

I have been recording my game play before upgrading to the new version. Collecting both Citadel kills and/or Devastating strike kills. 

I've been thinking of somehow measuring the quality of the kill shot.  So I could assign a score to that sinking.

So I ask y'all what qualities, what measurable should I use to come up with a score?

What I've come up with so far: (everything measured on a scale from 0 thru 10, 10 being the best)

Range: At max range this would be given a 10. Min range 0.

Speed of target: At full speed 10, stopped 0.

Angle of target: perfect broadside 0, bow or stern on 10.

Number of guns firing: Full broadside 0. 1 turret, the percentage of guns on the ships. (4 turret Colorado 7.5, 2 turret Dunkerque 5.0, 1 turret Alabama 6.6)

Anything else?

Take the average of all the numbers, and that's that score for the sinking.

Thoughts?

[WOLF5]
Members
2,135 posts
2,812 battles

Aiming time. Did you happen to have a turret that you snap-shotted off as the target went behind an island. Then 2 shells hit, cause an detonation. That's worth more than tracking for 30 sec and lining it up perfectly.

Related, definite bonus points for deva-strike on ship in smoke that you hit only using his muzzle flashes.

Target HP. Full HP way cooler than nearly dead.

The citadeling difficulty should be taken into account. Conqueror, German BBs, DDs should all be higher than a RN CL for example.

Finally, accusations of hacks or other chat salt from victim also improve the score.

[TNG]
Members
5,159 posts

The only thing I care about is the opponent I'm killing. The higher rated or more well known the better. 

[TOG]
Members
3,448 posts
18,218 battles
10 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

The only thing I care about is the opponent I'm killing. The higher rated or more well known the better. 

So do the happy dance of anyone whose clan name is [WG-CC] you obliterated?

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Nuked a Hindenburg with my Yamato. All fun while the next Hindenburg that game kept sailing broadside through my spread.

So pretty boring, depending on a game mechanic so much. Thats why I love ships like the Des Moines. You can still dev strike some ships with that fantastic spread. So OP, get yourself a US cruiser and watch those big numbers pop up. :)

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Members
122 posts
8,283 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Aiming time. Did you happen to have a turret that you snap-shotted off as the target went behind an island. Then 2 shells hit, cause an detonation. That's worth more than tracking for 30 sec and lining it up perfectly.

Related, definite bonus points for deva-strike on ship in smoke that you hit only using his muzzle flashes.

Target HP. Full HP way cooler than nearly dead.

The citadeling difficulty should be taken into account. Conqueror, German BBs, DDs should all be higher than a RN CL for example.

Finally, accusations of hacks or other chat salt from victim also improve the score.

Good suggestions, but how do you objectively measure some of these?

Aiming time, is tough, maybe shooter is waiting for reload or turret rotation.

Environment is good idea: 10 pts for ship in smoke at time of firing. 5 points for in clear weather.

Obstacles: 10 pts for ship behind island at time of firing, 5 points for clear.

Target HP at time of contact could be added.

Citadel difficulty is hard to be objective. Everyone has their opinion on what ship is hardest to citadel.

Members
321 posts
2,719 battles

I only play BB's for the 0 damage penetrating hits before another half minute reload to get more 0 damage penetrating hits.

• Funny 2

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
7,892 battles

None of that is relevant.

I can one-shot kill a Yamato with a 128mm DD shell from the front. It's called a Detonation.

And I can snipe someone from 20km away with quad citadels - that's called pure RNG.  

But if half of my team died because I sit in the back lobbing crap at stuff, never doing damage until my perfect kill shot comes up, well, that's pretty [bleeping] worthless.

The extremely high level of RNG combined with the fact that the "value" of a kill has much more to do with what you and the opponent were doing at the time means trying to create some metric like the OP is completely worthless, or possibly even harmful.

Members
3,965 posts
8,607 battles

I've argued this on another thread (that was closed) and not to be captious, but my feeling is that a ship that gets 80-90% HP reduction on a ship should get the *kill* regardless of who sinks it. The Kraken award is rendered farcical otherwise.

[DOG]
Members
588 posts
7,375 battles
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:52 PM, Stauffenberg44 said:

I've argued this on another thread (that was closed) and not to be captious, but my feeling is that a ship that gets 80-90% HP reduction on a ship should get the *kill* regardless of who sinks it. The Kraken award is rendered farcical otherwise.

Yeah, I had a game last night wherein I contributed to the win, but it didn't feel I really did much.  It was on a map that had one green and one red cap.  I was driving Lyon, and went left with one cruiser and one DD, while the rest of the team went right.  Most of the red team also went right, and we were only facing two cruisers and a DD on my side of the map.  The reds on our side of the map were running, and at 27 knots, I was having trouble getting within range.  Part of that was my fault, since I slowed down to take a pot-shot at a red BB at long range.  Anyway, it eventually got down to me and one red Russian cruiser that kept running and staying out of range.  But at this point I entered the unguarded red cap, and they had to come to me.  I popped a Kagero with one salvo (It only had 33 HP left).  Then I popped the cruiser I'd been chasing, again with one salvo, for 2000+ HP.  Then a Cleveland inexplicably got within 8 km, and I one-salvoed him for 7000+ HP, which ended the game.  Three kills in under two minutes.  I don't think I took any damage at all, and the game ended before I could finish capping.  A win's a win, I guess.  And I suppose it was smart team play.  But it felt like I spent all but the last 2-3 minutes not contributing much.

Edited by zubalkabir

Members
3,965 posts
8,607 battles
27 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

Yeah, I had a game last night wherein I contributed to the win, but it didn't feel I really did much.  It was on a map that had one green and one red cap.  I was driving Lyon, and went left with one cruiser and one DD, while the rest of the team went right.  Most of the red team also went right, and we were only facing two cruisers and a DD on my side of the map.  The reds on our side of the map were running, and at 27 knots, I was having trouble getting within range.  Part of that was my fault, since I slowed down to take a pot-shot at a red BB at long range.  Anyway, it eventually got down to me and one red Russian cruiser that kept running and staying out of range.  But at this point I entered the unguarded red cap, and they had to come to me.  I popped a Kagero with one salvo that (It only had 33 HP left).  Then I popped the cruiser I'd been chasing, again with one salvo, for 2000+ HP.  Then a Cleveland inexplicably got within 8 km, and I one-salvoed him for 7000+ HP, which ended the game.  Three kills in under two minutes.  I don't think I took any damage at all, and the game ended before I could finish capping.  A win's a win, I guess.  And I suppose it was smart team play.  But it felt like I spent all but the last 2-3 minutes not contributing much.

Well you did the right thing and I'll gladly accept krakens by knocking off low-hp ships as it stands now. I just felt credit should go where credit is due--a team-mate who did excessive damage on a particular ship. If I kill a ship that one other team mate did enormous damage on I'll gladly forfeit it for fairness' sake.

Members
122 posts
8,283 battles

This thread has been dormant for some time.. My own fault for not following up.

I've edited my first video, and uploaded to Youtube. I have been collecting cit-kills for quite a while, so I can make several more videos in the future.

Comments welcome.

Edited by Radical_20

Members
122 posts
8,283 battles

Another compilation video. This time, the North Carolina.

Truth be told. The hard drive on my computer was nearly full from all the replay videos. So I got busy today and did some editing.

I hope you enjoy it.

Comments welcome.