You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ScoldingCoder

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Prevention System (Update 0.7.4)

40 comments in this topic

[OBWS]
Members
2 posts
4,541 battles

The effort to discourage players from joining games then going afk is commendable but the system has some flaws. I was punished for being afk because I was disconnected for long periods of inactivity while waiting to join a Random Match.Even when I logged backed in, I was disconnected once again while waiting to join the same Random match for the same reason. Additionaly, there are momonets when I manage to join a match and get stuck on the pre match loading screen. This problem doesn't seem to be with my internet connection because I am often able to join  matches almost imediately after. I guess one would be punished for being afk as well if the game crashed too.I don't think players should be penalised whne there's literally nothing that we could do

TL;DR Punishment for being 'afk' are occuring even when It's beyond the control of the user

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,407 battles
41 minutes ago, ScoldingCoder said:

The effort to discourage players from joining games then going afk is commendable but the system has some flaws. I was punished for being afk because I was disconnected for long periods of inactivity while waiting to join a Random Match.Even when I logged backed in, I was disconnected once again while waiting to join the same Random match for the same reason. Additionaly, there are momonets when I manage to join a match and get stuck on the pre match loading screen. This problem doesn't seem to be with my internet connection because I am often able to join  matches almost imediately after. I guess one would be punished for being afk as well if the game crashed too.I don't think players should be penalised whne there's literally nothing that we could do

TL;DR Punishment for being 'afk' are occuring even when It's beyond the control of the user

Sadly this is a known fact. The server can't differentiate between  purposeful AFK and a lag based disconnect. All you can really do right now is grin and bear it until Wargaming decides t change it (or fix there game to stop crashes and make you unable to reconnect if you do crash).

[DFNT]
Members
176 posts
3,434 battles
1 hour ago, ScoldingCoder said:

If I got punished for being disconnected by the server, I would submit a ticket to support. Anyone who has this happen should. If customer service can't do anything about it, players should continue to submit tickets. It really is the best way to get the message to WG that this situation needs to be fixed.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

IpRp8jj.gif

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Members
10,787 posts
6 minutes ago, ScoldingCoder said:

Pink

Pink is just a warning to be careful not a punishment and doesn't affect your gameplay. Only if you do those things repeatedly will you get orange which restricts you to coop for a number of games.

[SIM]
Members
3,612 posts
5,746 battles

If WG can’t discern leavers and AFKs from disconnects then this system needs to be rolled back immediately.

• Cool 4

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,760 posts
15,957 battles
Just now, SkaerKrow said:

If WG can’t discern leavers and AFKs from disconnects then this system needs to be rolled back immediately.

Seriously! Like YESTERDAY!

[TBOW]
Members
16 posts
11,677 battles

This problem doesn't seem to be with my internet connection because I am often able to join  matches almost imediately after. I guess one would be punished for being afk as well if the game crashed too.I don't think players should be penalised whne there's literally nothing that we could do

I 100% disagree with you.  You are the reason why the punishment system was implemented.  You have an issue or issues with your PC and/or Internet connection.  It is very selfish and arrogant to believe that you should be able to play the game without consequence.  If you are having frequent enough crashes/connections drops/ETC, you are continually and negatively affecting 23 other players in the game.  

Bottom line is that this is 100% in your control.   The game is stable as there are thousands of people playing the game without issues.

1) Don't click the battle button in Random, PvE, Ranked, or Clan Buttons if you are having problems.

2) Fix your PC issue.

3) Fix your Internet connection issue.

Your PC/Internet problems don't give you the right to crapon everyone else's day.  

Get a friend to help if you do not have PC troubleshooting skills.  If you do not want to be responsible for your PC and Internet connection, go play on a console and absolve yourself of the hardware platform issues.  

At the end of the day learn from going pink.  Fix your problem(s) or go Orange.

No love lost and good riddance if you go orange

bdnorcal

• Cool 5
  • Angry 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,573 posts
32,713 battles
25 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

24 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Seriously! Like YESTERDAY!

Its quite funny how several players, before the update hit, were saying that the game could differentiate between purposeful disconnects and accidental disconnects and  therefore the new system wouldn't punish accidental disconnects.

• Funny 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,791 posts
9,443 battles
6 minutes ago, bdnorcal said:

I 100% disagree with you.  You are the reason why the punishment system was implemented.  You have an issue or issues with your PC and/or Internet connection.  It is very selfish and arrogant to believe that you should be able to play the game without consequence.  If you are having frequent enough crashes/connections drops/ETC, you are continually and negatively affecting 23 other players in the game.  

Bottom line is that this is 100% in your control.   The game is stable as there are thousands of people playing the game without issues.

1) Don't click the battle button in Random, PvE, Ranked, or Clan Buttons if you are having problems.

2) Fix your PC issue.

Your PC/Internet problems don't give you the right to crapon everyone else's day.  

Get a friend to help if you do not have PC troubleshooting skills.  If you do not want to be responsible for your PC and Internet connection, go play on a console and absolve yourself of the hardware platform issues.  

bdnorcal

Have to agree. AFK players are quite the annoyance and WG is finally doing something about it. However, only so much can be done if ISP in your area is lame and no competition.

• Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
16 posts
11,677 battles
4 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Have to agree. AFK players are quite the annoyance and WG is finally doing something about it. However, only so much can be done if ISP in your area is lame and no competition.

If your ISP is having an issue, then stop playing.  It sucks, but this is the bed the greater player base made.  We have to deal with it and move on with life.  I'd much rather have people "punished" for not fixing their issue than deal with AFK/Dropped connection players.  

I've had my own struggles with ISP issues and gaming in the past.  At the end of the day instead of playing and being disconnected, I worked with my ISP to resolve the issue.  You should too.

bdnorcal

PS  I find it hilarious how people are reacting to this new system.  Their words make you think that the sky is falling, their account is being permanently banned, and they would lose access to the account with "all the money they spent" on the game.  They simply have a jail sentence for poor behavior toward other players and they can still play co op.  It is simple, fix your crap, serve your time, and work your way back to random.  Problem solved.

[NLIST]
[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
12,648 battles

OP- are you by chance using the "Mac Wrapper" to play World of Warships on your Mac?

[FOG]
Members
459 posts
5,537 battles
1 hour ago, bdnorcal said:

2) Fix your PC issue.

bdnorcal

I concur with exercising caution as to playing when you are having connectivity issues. For example, yesterday I started having connectivity problems prior to logging on to WoWS. I corrected the problem and then tried a couple of training sessions to confirm that everything was working. I then successfully played several games without issue.

[RVNHQ]
Members
69 posts
24,922 battles
7 minutes ago, bdnorcal said:

If your ISP is having an issue, then stop playing.  It sucks, but this is the bed the greater player base made.  We have to deal with it and move on with life.  I'd much rather have people "punished" for not fixing their issue than deal with AFK/Dropped connection players.  

I've had my own struggles with ISP issues and gaming in the past.  At the end of the day instead of playing and being disconnected, I worked with my ISP to resolve the issue.  You should too.

bdnorcal

PS  I find it hilarious how people are reacting to this new system.  Their words make you think that the sky is falling, their account is being permanently banned, and they would lose access to the account with "all the money they spent" on the game.  They simply have a jail sentence for poor behavior toward other players and they can still play co op.  It is simple, fix your crap, serve your time, and work your way back to random.  Problem solved.

I think it will be quite funny when WoW's ends up with 2 players. because everyone else got bumped out of the game because of game crashes and isp troubles or just getting frustrated and doing as you wish and stop playing. All of which are a distinct possibility.

I am a computer tech by trade. I have built computers, including most of my own. I also had to learn network design, server spec and design, plus network infrastructure/fiber optic and ethernet network systems. I was also tasked with maintaining and troubleshooting all that network equipment. But wait there is more. I was also tasked with running the network wide internet connection and access. Needless to say I have a tiny bit of knowledge about keeping my stuff working correctly. My issues with my Internet connection where I currently live took 2 years from the day I moved in to my house until I think Comcast has my issues corrected as of today. at least I have not had the same issues I had. I am on my 4th internet router, all 4 tv cable boxes are new at least once. I have had the entire house re-cabled    Comcast even replaced the cable from the house to the stub out in the front yard. And they have had to run a new cable from the stub to the main cable feed for the subdivision.

And after all that, yesterday after i finished a battle my internet went out. It stayed out for 4 hours while Comcast service department had to repair a cut cable in the next state over. Some DIYer decided to dig a hole with his rented backhoe and found the Comcast fiber optic line running up the coast. If I had been in battle I would have gotten a penalty for that dimwits fubar. We went 1 week a few months back, where 3 times that happened from construction people digging up a cable. So other than yesterdays close call. I can not GUARANTEE 100% that my internet connection will stay up. And no one else can either. Not even Wargaming. So all this boohooing about afkers is a bit too overzelous. I agree we need to look at why they go afk and that it does happen to often.

I will say as a coop main, I have fought many a battle lately where I was the only human on either team. It may not quite be like missing a team member but it still not much better. I still fought my battles and did my best to win. I looked at it as a challenge for me to overcome and I did win a few.  So I say, grow a pair and play the game with what ever hand you are dealt. Even in real naval combat, ship happens.

• Cool 2

[-GPS-]
Members
2,753 posts
28,648 battles
5 minutes ago, swampwater77 said:

I think it will be quite funny when WoW's ends up with 2 players. because everyone else got bumped out of the game because of game crashes and isp troubles or just getting frustrated and doing as you wish and stop playing. All of which are a distinct possibility.

I am a computer tech by trade. I have built computers, including most of my own. I also had to learn network design, server spec and design, plus network infrastructure/fiber optic and ethernet network systems. I was also tasked with maintaining and troubleshooting all that network equipment. But wait there is more. I was also tasked with running the network wide internet connection and access. Needless to say I have a tiny bit of knowledge about keeping my stuff working correctly. My issues with my Internet connection where I currently live took 2 years from the day I moved in to my house until I think Comcast has my issues corrected as of today. at least I have not had the same issues I had. I am on my 4th internet router, all 4 tv cable boxes are new at least once. I have had the entire house re-cabled    Comcast even replaced the cable from the house to the stub out in the front yard. And they have had to run a new cable from the stub to the main cable feed for the subdivision.

And after all that, yesterday after i finished a battle my internet went out. It stayed out for 4 hours while Comcast service department had to repair a cut cable in the next state over. Some DIYer decided to dig a hole with his rented backhoe and found the Comcast fiber optic line running up the coast. If I had been in battle I would have gotten a penalty for that dimwits fubar. We went 1 week a few months back, where 3 times that happened from construction people digging up a cable. So other than yesterdays close call. I can not GUARANTEE 100% that my internet connection will stay up. And no one else can either. Not even Wargaming. So all this boohooing about afkers is a bit too overzelous. I agree we need to look at why they go afk and that it does happen to often.

I will say as a coop main, I have fought many a battle lately where I was the only human on either team. It may not quite be like missing a team member but it still not much better. I still fought my battles and did my best to win. I looked at it as a challenge for me to overcome and I did win a few.  So I say, grow a pair and play the game with what ever hand you are dealt. Even in real naval combat, ship happens.

I live in rural Maine. Sometimes the power goes out because 90%+ of the lines are above ground (we have a LOT of rock). It snows. We get ice storms. The wind blows. Some drunk hits the telephone pole down the street (that happened mid-battle last year). And sometimes my internet goes flakey for no apparent reason. 

While I agree that someone with a sub-standard PC or consistently horrible internet service probably shouldn’t play this game, the level of snobbery in this thread is surprising. Not everyone lives in a major metropolitan area with underground fiber optic cable. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,500 posts
1 hour ago, bdnorcal said:

bdnorcal

There is one small problem with your thinking, one large one as well, but I will get to that in a moment.

If you punish people for things beyond their control, or even just believed to be beyond their control, you anger and alienate those people. That is a truly bad idea for a business, and do remember that what you think of as a game is actually a business. WG makes money off this, or they would not do it. In case you had not noticed, the game is losing players, which makes driving more players away an even worse idea.

Now, on to your larger misconception: AFK has never been a major problem. You may not like it, but it is a symptom, not the underlying issue, which is the fact that people are getting tired of the game's real problems not being addressed. Radar and hydro still grant x-ray vision, and people are heartily sick of being uptiered all the time. Things like this are what cause people to go AFK, along with the game's propensity to crash when one enters a battle, or touches the wrong key, or any of the myriad of other causes for crashes and late log ins.

The issue is player dissatisfaction, and oh yeah, the mindset that a loss has to be blamed on somebody else. Let's be honest, what we are dealing with is players who have to find someone else to blame when they lose. Just watch the chat screen for ranked tomorrow and you will have all the proof you need of this. Punishing people is NOT how a company convinces customers to spend money, and a continuation of such policies will see the continuation of the current decline in player count until it reaches the point where corporate HQ looks at the numbers and says North American operations are not profitable, and ceases said operations.

• Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
16 posts
11,677 battles
26 minutes ago, swampwater77 said:

I'm an IT professional too.  I know what it takes to run networks and all of the pitfalls associated with that.  I'm not going to check tech cards or measures skills against each other.   

The type of case you are outlining are extreme cases and will certainly not be experienced by everyone.  Just because you have a connection problem doesn't mean you need to extend that problem out to everyone else. 

People spend real money on a per match basis.  If you add up camos/flags/premium time it can be as much as a buck or two per match!  I get that stuff happens and people crash or get disconnected.  Ship happens.  However if you are consistently doing this to other people you are wasting their time and money.  What makes your time and experience more important than the 23 others in the match?  

Go fly a kite in coop if you believe your time and experience is more important than 23 other people combined.

15 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

the level of snobbery in this thread is surprising. Not everyone lives in a major metropolitan area with underground fiber optic cable. 

This isn't snobbery, it is stating truth and holding people accountable to reality.

If the problem is not as bad as some people describe or people didn't mind AFKers, then why did WG bother to implement the system?  The answer is that it is a big problem and people do mind.

bdnorcal

• Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
16 posts
11,677 battles
5 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

If you punish people for things beyond their control, or even just believed to be beyond their control, you anger and alienate those people. That is a truly bad idea for a business, and do remember that what you think of as a game is actually a business. WG makes money off this, or they would not do it. In case you had not noticed, the game is losing players, which makes driving more players away an even worse idea.

You are wrong.  It is 100% within the end users control.  Don't press battle if you have problems.  The game client is stable.  If it was not stable, these very forums would be filled with posts about crashing ETC.

I can't speak for WG, but I would have a hard time believing they did not explore the punishment system thoroughly.   I would think that they would have a good idea on how this will affect their revenue prior to implementing the system. 

You are right that it would be incredibly bad for business to run everyone away, but at the end of the day this will more than likely only affect a very specific cross section of users.  They are possibly making a choice of cutting off "bad behavior" users versus other "well behaved" users.  Better to keep the larger pot of users.

6 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

Now, on to your larger misconception: AFK has never been a major problem. You may not like it, but it is a symptom, not the underlying issue, which is the fact that people are getting tired of the game's real problems not being addressed.

Again why would WG spend the money to implement this system if it wasn't a problem?

If people are tired of the game's "real problems", why are they still playing it?  Do they have Stockholm Syndrome with the game?  If people are that tired of the game then quit.  

bdnorcal

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,500 posts
30 minutes ago, bdnorcal said:

You are wrong.  It is 100% within the end users control.  Don't press battle if you have problems.  The game client is stable.  If it was not stable, these very forums would be filled with posts about crashing ETC.

I can't speak for WG, but I would have a hard time believing they did not explore the punishment system thoroughly.   I would think that they would have a good idea on how this will affect their revenue prior to implementing the system. 

You are right that it would be incredibly bad for business to run everyone away, but at the end of the day this will more than likely only affect a very specific cross section of users.  They are possibly making a choice of cutting off "bad behavior" users versus other "well behaved" users.  Better to keep the larger pot of users.

Again why would WG spend the money to implement this system if it wasn't a problem?

If people are tired of the game's "real problems", why are they still playing it?  Do they have Stockholm Syndrome with the game?  If people are that tired of the game then quit.  

bdnorcal

Umm, I see quite a few forum posts about exactly that issue, more with each patch, in fact.

You can't believe WG didn't research something thoroughly before introducing it. Obviously you have never seen radar, Hydro, Graf Zeppelin, cvs in general, need I continue?

Why would WG spend money if it wasn't a problem, simply put they are treating the symptom rather than the disease because doing otherwise is to admit they made a mistake, and we all know their track record on that. The age old strategy of distract and deflect is in full force.

"If people are that tired of the game, then quit," they are, in increasing numbers, just watch the player count, watch ranked numbers, all indicators show a declining player population.

[WUDPS]
Members
2 posts
6,504 battles

I live out in the country, and just recently got off of DSL ( with 4mbs link) ( yes 4 mbs)    SO happy to have 100 mbs  now.The service is more prone to interruptions than those who live in cities with fiber links.  I was playing today and had back to back interruptions, the first I got back into game, but the second, service did not return until after game.  I get back in to find I am pink and it is nothing I did or could control.  This really really ticks me off.  It is absurdly bad judgement to implement a system if they cannot discern bad behavior from link problems,  and will end up alienating a lot of players.  It bothers me enough to stop playing completely if it becomes an issue( I already stopped WOT because of the game changes they made.  There was poor system engineering done on this, because they have obviously not evaluated the unintended consequences of their actions, and I predict it will cost them money.  I used to manage a very large IT/ OM program and I  I can tell you this smacks of a poorly thought out change.  I hope they will think twice about this but I don't know  if it matters to them, if I have to vote with my feet( and take the hard currency I spend on the game with me) .  Once again, I have seen the comments about having control and in this case I have none over this issue, and cannot predict when it will happen. I find it amusing for the uneducated to say " fix your connection issue" , it only shows how little they know about modern IT systems. I say WOWS, fix your algorithm,  which should include player history.  The problem comes from players who are habitual offenders, not the ones who have an occasional problem

• Cool 1

[RVNHQ]
Members
69 posts
24,922 battles
18 minutes ago, bdnorcal said:

bdnorcal

I like playing this game as much as you or anyone else. I am not going to compare amounts of money spent playing this game except to say I have spent way more than I probably should have. And since the payouts are a lot less in those coop games I play in, I have to spend more to try to cut down on a year long grind just to climb a ship line. I do not and am not complaining about it though. And I just spend my money. I have not ever thrown a snit about the lower payouts I play with and then demand that WG needs to fix now. I just except it and play on.

I do wish all players no matter what mode they play to have a good experience playing this game. Our goals are the same on that point. I still believe this afk problem is not that bad. And yes my games are just as important to me and my team as yours are to you and your team. No difference at that point either. whether I have an afk person or not has had little to no bearing on the battles I have been in, and that is close to 18000 battles so far. We may point out that a certain ship or ships are afk and then adjust our game around the shorthanded team we have to fight with and move on.

So pardon me if I think that all this afk stuff is a lot overblown, and seems to me be fed by those of you who have way to high of an opinion of yourselves and the game mode you play in. I still say get over it and play the match. It is not like the world will end because you are short on teammates.

I do like the rest of the penalty system where tkers and serial tkers are penalized. That makes sense. Tkers do damage that really should be avoided and is easier to fix by the tker. It is a whole lot easier to see a tk as a tk than it would be to discover why some players go afk. Way more variables to computer, game client crashes, WG server issues and on and on. If WG was really interested they would imho try to help these afkers fix there problems. If that means monitoring for issues and sending the offender a message notifying them of what the afk problem is, and what needs to be done to fix the problem. And then giving a set time to try and fix that issue. If it were my business I would try my best to help my clients get better, not drive them off in a dragnet to get rid of a few bad apples. 

I do not worry about any penalty I may incur. I will handle it and move on. I do not for see a point where I will have to worry about losing my account. I have had no issues as of yet baring the very occasional tk. And I accepted those as my fault, learned from them and moved on. I for my part, if I do have a problem with the game or my system I DO fix my issues and will not play or do anything till I have it fixed. 

[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,881 battles

I think they were talking about if the client logged a crash report. And that should still be true. I get disconnected/crash out of battles a lot, so I guess we'll see what happens. Might get stuck playing with the awesome co-op scum.

[LHG]
Members
1,530 posts
6,109 battles

Telling players not to play the game because they suddenly have ISP issues in the middle of a match with no prior issues beforehand is like telling people not to drive to work because someone running a red light is going to t-bone them.