You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Will I go Pink or Orange over shooting down my planes?

22 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
8,959 posts
10,828 battles

Ok I am sure most players that use CV and know how to use Straffing attack have shot down 1 or 2 of their own planes occasionally. You know when 1 of your squadrons are locked up with 2-3 enemy fighter squadrons there is nothing better than sending in another of your fighter squadrons on strafing run right through all of them. Sure you might lose 1 or 2 of your planes that are likely dead anyways in next few seconds, but you gain large numbers of enemy planes shot down in such an attack.

I did it this morning and looked at battke report and said enemy planes shot down 1, and that continued actions of such behavior would result in my being pink and disciplinary actions taken. Is this a bug? Something I actually am at risk for?

Would hate to stop this practice entirely since it really can help the team by removing the bulk of enemy fighters and allowing my Bombers and sometimes the bombers of second CV on my team to break through as well. 

Members
252 posts
975 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ok I am sure most players that use CV and know how to use Straffing attack have shot down 1 or 2 of their own planes occasionally. You know when 1 of your squadrons are locked up with 2-3 enemy fighter squadrons there is nothing better than sending in another of your fighter squadrons on strafing run right through all of them. Sure you might lose 1 or 2 of your planes that are likely dead anyways in next few seconds, but you gain large numbers of enemy planes shot down in such an attack.

I did it this morning and looked at battke report and said enemy planes shot down 1, and that continued actions of such behavior would result in my being pink and disciplinary actions taken. Is this a bug? Something I actually am at risk for?

Would hate to stop this practice entirely since it really can help the team by removing the bulk of enemy fighters and allowing my Bombers and sometimes the bombers of second CV on my team to break through as well. 

Maybe playing CV is an offence now. It's the year of the carrier('s extermination). Play CVs too much and you get banned to Co-Op lol.

[TBOW]
Members
1,794 posts
12,228 battles

Yeah, I figured this was going to be a problem for CV's.  I have done it too.  Particularly with the Enterprise and her large fighter complement.  Worst part is your going to lose your planes likely anyway, so you try to take the enemy's extra with a couple of yours and you are going to get penalized for it.  

Edited by gcangel82

[5BS]
Members
7,001 posts

Hmm, I wonder if scuttling is now also a no-no? I am tempted to give it a try tonight. Used to be a non-issue; you didn't go pink over it, but I wonder if that's changed.

Members
3,965 posts
8,609 battles

I get that effect with long range secondaries on BBs as well (République 12.1 km!), not enough to be bothered by it.

My ADD keeps reading your name as Admiral Prawn.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have said many time in many threads" be careful what you ask for, the fix may not be what your expecting" This is just one minor example of such.

[TBOW]
Members
1,794 posts
12,228 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Hmm, I wonder if scuttling is now also a no-no? I am tempted to give it a try tonight. Used to be a non-issue; you didn't go pink over it, but I wonder if that's changed.

I am think we are going to be hearing a lot from the CV community over this.  Especially if a few go pink over the weekend for it.  I say that as that is a valid tactic, I think I even saw it in a few CV vids.

Edited by gcangel82

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ok I am sure most players that use CV and know how to use Straffing attack have shot down 1 or 2 of their own planes occasionally.

I am not sure, but on a funny note I got TK by a Bot CV while I was in my Dunkerque. My 1st thought in my head was "I wonder if the bot gets sent to Random for TK'ing?"

Seeing post reminded of it, sorry to take it off track.

• Funny 4

Members
3,965 posts
8,609 battles

Never argue with a gun, it may argue back...

"Ultima Ratio Regum," Latin for "the last resort of kings."  Louis XIV had this inscribed on all his cannons:

[5BS]
Members
7,001 posts
1 minute ago, gcangel82 said:

I am think we are going to be hearing a lot from the CV community over this.  Especially if a few go pink over the weekend for it.  I say that as that is a valid tactic, I think I even saw it in a few CV vids.

Valid or not, it was a nice spiteful spike to the enemy team at the end of a match (a kind of, You can't fire me, I quit, sort of moment) but I think I'm going to test this in CoOp tonight, to see if it results in Pink. I genuinely don't want to screw over a team in testing it, so I figure CoOp is 'safe."

1 minute ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

"Ultima Ratio Regum," Latin for "the last resort of kings."  Louis XIV had this inscribed on all his cannons:

Actually my signature is an old Family Motto; I come from a long line of Artillery/Gunnery Officers.

Members
3,965 posts
8,609 battles

Actually my signature is an old Family Motto; I come from a long line of Artillery/Gunnery Officers.

I assumed you knew, it's the perfect motto for that.

[REVY]
Members
6,148 posts
5,158 battles
15 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Like sacrificing your own soldiers eh?

• Funny 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,270 battles
7 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I have said many time in many threads" be careful what you ask for, the fix may not be what your expecting" This is just one minor example of such.

[5BS]
Members
7,001 posts
3 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

I assumed you knew, it's the perfect motto for that.

Well the family crest reads, explicitly and exactly:

Оружие может возразить

Since ~1912 we've Anglicized it to the current version.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Fairly certain I've shot a few of my own planes down in the CV games I played since the patch, and no warning was issued.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,049 posts

Just strafe one target with all 3 Saipan fighter groups stacked at the same time.

You'll be lucky to end up with 2-3 fighters left.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,774 posts
9,443 battles

I'd just ignore it. Maybe WG will tweak it so destroying allied planes doesn't count.

[5BS]
Members
7,001 posts

To anyone curious, I tested this just now in CoOp (made sure to participate and died literally about 1 second before the last enemy was killed so I *did not* screw over my teammates one bit) and can confirm that scuttling is alive and well:

0REZtv2.jpgrBrwhz2.jpgPCbsmAf.jpg

[WOLF2]
Members
1,279 posts
8,625 battles

Be sure to give thanks to those that complained of AFKs and TKers on the forums.   I guess WG does read our posts from time to time.

And we end up with unintended consequences.

Be careful what you ask for.   We may just get it...

[NG-NL]
Members
5,774 posts
9,443 battles
19 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

To anyone curious, I tested this just now in CoOp (made sure to participate and died literally about 1 second before the last enemy was killed so I *did not* screw over my teammates one bit) and can confirm that scuttling is alive and well:

0REZtv2.jpgrBrwhz2.jpgPCbsmAf.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me if WG patches "exit match" early to include CVs dropping on themselves.

Members
22,745 posts
5,794 battles
20 hours ago, DiddleDum said:

Be sure to give thanks to those that complained of AFKs and TKers on the forums.   I guess WG does read our posts from time to time.

And we end up with unintended consequences.

Be careful what you ask for.   We may just get it...

We never learn.......