You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gatorken

Continue or Quit

54 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
Members
109 posts
9,638 battles

2000 plus game into this and stats stink, it's making me frustrated.  The most frustrating ship is the Alabama almost every game I have shots on target yet the fall on the side front back anywhere but a hit.  Yesterday shot at some cruiser 7 times and never hit even after they were even penned up against the boundary line. Why would I ever spend $50+ for another premium.  It makes me think there is a bias, whether it's due to ships with 19 point commander's vs. my 12 point commanders, regardless of the situation or some other unknown variable. I'll shoot HE over and over and no fire then the first shot from some low life DD I am on fire, regardless of flags, etc. Also, frustrated at the slow sloooooow speed that this game is played, pick a target and shoot it already. 

Any pointers or help would be appreciated, I have watched Noster, etc. I guess I could just play Co-Op........

• Cool 1

[NNC]
Members
2,088 posts
9,746 battles
1 minute ago, gatorken said:

2000 plus game into this and stats stink, it's making me frustrated.  The most frustrating ship is the Alabama almost every game I have shots on target yet the fall on the side front back anywhere but a hit.  Yesterday shot at some cruiser 7 times and never hit even after they were even penned up against the boundary line. Why would I ever spend $50+ for another premium.  It makes me think there is a bias, whether it's due to ships with 19 point commander's vs. my 12 point commanders, regardless of the situation or some other unknown variable. I'll shoot HE over and over and no fire then the first shot from some low life DD I am on fire, regardless of flags, etc. Also, frustrated at the slow sloooooow speed that this game is played, pick a target and shoot it already. 

Any pointers or help would be appreciated, I have watched Noster, etc. I guess I could just play Co-Op........

Well if your not hitting anything, first instead of playing tier 8 go down a play lower tiers where you can work your problems out without getting blapped. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,009 posts
11,309 battles

Slow down, stop looking at your stats try to play for fun. 

Once you calm down and start enjoying yourself then after each battle think about how you could have done better or what you could have done differently win or lose.

Do watch good players on youtube.

Most of all make sure you think about what you are doing in the game and not what you think the game is doing to you. This will make a huge difference.

Cheers.

• Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
11,576 posts
3 minutes ago, gatorken said:

WG loves it when people buy into the grind to top tiers, but it rarely works out well for the players themselves.

As said above, consider down tiering and getting a better feel for the game, worry about playing high tier when you feel you start seeing your accuracy improve.

• Cool 1

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
4 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Well if your not hitting anything, first instead of playing tier 8 go down a play lower tiers where you can work your problems out without getting blapped. 

3 minutes ago, paradat said:

Slow down, stop looking at your stats try to play for fun. 

Once you calm down and start enjoying yourself then after each battle think about how you could have done better or what you could have done differently win or lose.

Do watch good players on youtube.

Most of all make sure you think about what you are doing in the game and not what you think the game is doing to you. This will make a huge difference.

Cheers.

Petty much the same from me, I starting having fun in Random games (when I play them) when I stopped worrying about WTS and just do the best as I can.

Just use them as a tool to see how to improve your game, and when the game gets you upset walk away from it a bit

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,270 posts
16,866 battles

Send me replays.  I'll watch YOUR game and give YOU direct feedback on YOUR gameplay.  It takes a lot of practice/experience to "git gud" so don't feel upset.  

• Cool 8

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,762 posts
10,986 battles
4 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

This, go back to the low tiers and treat the game like it is new and before going up in tiers make sure you are doing well in those ships.

[NAB]
Members
416 posts
9,183 battles

So I believe there is a point where you play enough games and things begin to start to "click" and that, for me was probably around 2500 games.  Prior to this, I played a game called Hawken, a very fast paced mech shooter.  Being 50 years old, I really like the slow pace of this game.  You need that pace to maintain situational awareness and follow through on your plan as the situations change.  It took me countless games to learn the little lessons about how I should hold my fire on ships like the Alabama until the cruiser committed to a turn...  It sounds to me like you are doing everything right.  You're watching videos from good channels that will teach you the gameplay theory, now you just need to grind more games until the theory makes sense in practice.  Good luck!

P.S.  I like Notser a lot, I would like to recommend Flamu.  Despite his edginess, he has some of the better advice out there IMHO.

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
4,424 posts

If you use the non-dynamic cross hairs, the times on the screen are to hit a mid sized battleship going at 20 knots and showing a flat broadside to you. So if you are firing at a New Mexico going at full speed and it takes 10 seconds for shells to land, then put the bow of your target at the 10 second mark. Or more if you're dealing with faster battleships. Or less if its an especially big battleship.

Cruisers are smaller and faster, so for them, it's around double that if they are going full speed.

DDs are even smaller and faster, so for them, its around three to four times.

Now obviously, these are general guidelines and don't take into account them going slower speeds or angling. But at that point, just practice practice practice! I'm a decent player and even I have troubles with some angled targets after 2300 games. Experience matters.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Zath said:

Send me replays.  I'll watch YOUR game and give YOU direct feedback on YOUR gameplay.  It takes a lot of practice/experience to "git gud" so don't feel upset.  

There I can swear to that, Lord_Zath is real good and he is very honest.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,698 posts
7,394 battles

Ignore the 'stats', they mean nothing in the real world of things, if you enjoy the game itself, keep enjoying it, keep playing.

[NNC]
Members
2,088 posts
9,746 battles
13 minutes ago, gatorken said:

Also hry if you want the game

to realistic we could have naval battle last a week.... then lets see if 20min is slow then

[NERO]
Members
3,625 posts

Going to be repeating some stuff above, but here we go.

Play for fun, not for stats. It's like weighing yourself every day on a diet. Bad plan. You'll just end up frustrated.

Don't buy a premium for a tier higher than you've reached on the tech tree. Higher tiers assume higher skill and the amount of damage going around is higher, and so punishment for mistakes are more severe the further up you go. Dock your premium for a while and play up the tech tree. Maybe in a few different classes. Sometimes you can improve your game in one class by better understanding what it's like to be the class you're shooting at. 

It's probably time to just take a breather too. Step away for a few days. Maybe a week. Play other games. Come back, pick a tech tree line to work on, and settle in. The only thing you should care about is being in the top half of your team, win or lose. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,160 battles
10 minutes ago, gatorken said:

The Reality is this .. no matter how good you are your win loose stats are dictated more by MM than anything else , damage done and were you place on the team is more of a indication on you as a player.. I just play for fun when the game ends there’s always another one .. it was way frustrating for me when I first started and cared about my stats ... now not so much

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[STW]
Members
696 posts
4,983 battles

Stop worrying so much about how your stats look and pay attention to what they're telling you.  When I look at yours, you have low winrate, low damage, low survival rate, and low main battery accuracy.  This tells me a few things, 1) that your target selection probably isn't optimal, 2) your map and positioning awareness is not great, and you are either playing too far back until it's too late in the match for your presence to make a difference, or you're rushing in too close too early in the game (my guess is the former more than the latter) which has a direct correlation with the below average winrate since you're actively removing yourself from the battle without really contributing and 3) you probably haven't grasped *where* you need to shoot particular ships and the leads/angles that you have to take on your shots.  These things can all be fixed for you to become a more consistent player, but you have to make the effort to fix them.

Send Zath a replay for personal advice as he's offered, and I would recommend watching Flamu over Notser.  Not that Notser isn't a good player, but Flamu has a very tactical approach and he explains *why* he's doing what he's doing.  It takes time to put all the tools together, and once you do then you'll start seeing a steady increase in those stats.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Members
508 posts
12,911 battles
8 minutes ago, gatorken said:

Not trying to sound snarky, but you left out some key bits of information.

First, it would help to know the range you were engaging the cruiser at or in general what range you try to engage targets at, in my experience American  bb dispersion is pretty crappy at long range.

Secondly what modules are you running on your ships...not sure if there is an accuracy mod for the Bama, if there is one try equipping it.

Just some other quick points:

1. BB superstructure will burn, one to two fires can be left burning especially if there aren't that much ships shooting at you. Try captain skills to reduce the duration of fires.
  2. Want a faster paced game? try playing dds instead of bbs...that's where the real action is.

[SIM]
Members
3,590 posts
5,723 battles

Just relax, it’s a game, and your stats don’t determine your worth. Try to have fun. If you really care about winning then just keep battling, and bring effort into every game. A motivated player that struggles can be worth more than an apathetic unicum. 

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

Compromise: take a break. Switch to Cruisers or Destroyers for a while, play lower tiers. 

A well skippered Cruiser can be really difficult to hit in a battleship at extended ranges when they maneuver. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,759 posts
7,031 battles

Ignore your stats (they will only break your spirit) and work on your shooting. Improve your performance relative to what you can do now, not what others can do.

Don't buy any more premiums unless you have advanced to at least that level in the tech tree.

Send replays to Zath.

I also find Flamu much more informative than Notser and iChase for combat; Notser and iChase possibly know the technical details of their ships better, but Flamu is more of a fighting captain. Jingles is also useful - more of an entertainer, but it makes his videos an easy and fun watch and he points out important things not to do.

I'm watching this at the moment: 

Pure gunplay with T1 ships and no torps, smokescreens etc., but there are some absolute gems in here about the proper use of terrain IMO. Might be worth a look to see what you can get out of it.

Members
31 posts
4,292 battles

Just to throw it out there, definitely don't let frustrations over boundary line misses get to you.  A ship that runs into (sometimes intentionally because of this) can be difficult to hit because of the decrease in speed and difficulty in determining which way it is turning and how fast. As Dried Jello said it took me a long time to learn to conserve my shots for just the right moment especially with ships that have slower reload speeds.

I have seen someone in another topic also recommend pick a ship/ships with Ballistic similarities and stick with it till you get that one down rather than picking different ones every couple battles.  At times it can be hard to jump from ships with a flatter arc to say the US lines that lob shells because the timing for landing rounds changes.

Stats are just a thing stick with it, they do go up.  As long as you yourself are enjoying playing they don't matter.

• Cool 1

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
25 minutes ago, gatorken said:

2000 plus game into this and stats stink, it's making me frustrated. 

One more thing do not Rage quit, I have done it and sold off my ships and said :etc_swear:this game. Then in the morning realize how dumb that was, as others have said - back you chair out, go for a walk, try playing a different game.

Then come back and sink Ships:Smile_izmena:

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Get yourself some relaxing music, invite some friends in your division and have some fun. The higher tiers are more fast paced than the lower tiers. Also tier 8 is just awful to be in right now, even for the better players it is awful.
As some others above recommended I also recommend a lower tier. Go back to tier 4 and 5 for example and get more confident in the shell types you have and a feeling for the behaviour of humans in WoWS :) 

I've went back and forth in tiers many times before I managed to hit things reliable in the higher tiers. Just remember to take a moment to think about why you got sunken; like "Oh, I was out of position", or "I chased a cruiser who burned me down" for example. From that you will slowly learn.
I also want to advise a different channel than the ones above, namely Yuro (Eurobeat). I don't learn well from people saying things in videos, I need to try it out myself and Yuro helps me with that. He has some great and fun videos from which I learn to play specific ships :)

But most important, get yourself into a division :)

Beta Testers
458 posts
8,730 battles

Ya i wouldn't worry too much about your stats..you cant redeem for alcohol or anything useful.

:)

That said...i really dislike these types of statements:

28 minutes ago, gatorken said:

It makes me think there is a bias, whether it's due to ships with 19 point commander's vs. my 12 point commanders, regardless of the situation or some other unknown variable.

Why is your first thought that there is some bias that prevents your from improving?

My first thought is usually..what am i doing wrong? Not this game must be biased against me.

There are a ton of resources out there..be they vids or articles..but the absolute best would be to get a mentor of some kind. You're in a clan so maybe someone who does well in your clan can help you...and if not there are actually lots of really good people who are good at boats that are willing to help...just need to ask.

One thing ill say though...you need to have a good attitude with a mentor...and the first and most important thing to that is accepting that you are the consistent factor in all your games. Don't look to external factors for blame..but work on making yourself the best you can be.

We ALL have bad games, bad RNG rolls or get dev-striked from time to time...its just part of the game...accept that and work on the things you can control.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,052 posts

Nothing wrong with Co-Op.

Alabama should still make credits in T10 battles.

If you grind up a ship you feel real confident in...   Give Random a try with it.

Most folks only click with certain ships.  Some are downright deadly with a Pensacola.

For all it's hype and glamour, the Gremyaschy never worked for me..  not even in Co-Op. 

The Fujin, however, is an entirely different story.  I'll take that into Random, Co-Op, Ranked (if they let me), and to hell and back.

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles
47 minutes ago, gatorken said:

I looked at your stats and the big area is your hit rate which is 20% in the Alabama and most other ships you have played a lot. So you are watched Notsers video, does that mean you switched to the dynamic crosshair? When I first switched from the static to dynamic crosshair I had issues looking at the time a shell would be in flight, matching it up to the corresponding tic mark on the crosshair and placing that tic mark on the appropriate place on the target. My stats actually took a dip until I got used to it and could complete the process without really thinking about it. I would recommend Coop games as a good way to perfect this technique. Once you have your hit rate up into the 30% range you will be ready to jump back into PVP. IChasegaming has a video on the same topic, watch his as well, maybe you will get something out of it that you didn't get from Notsers. Don't give up, you can do it.