Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HyperFish

Is there any point to running an alt account.

23 comments in this topic

Members
614 posts
5,528 battles

A guy I work with who plays on SEA confessed that during a quiet period in events last year he set up an alt account.

By using his own invite and grinding the alt to a tier VI cruiser he got his main profile "the Big Treasure Chest". Looking that up, it's a free port slot, some flags, damage control 2, camouflages, 3 mil credits and a flag.

His Alt got a Prem Diana, Prem Texas, 80,000 xp, a few mil credits, and flags.

So now he has a main profile and an alt, but is there any point? He can't take the free xp from his alt and give it to his main. He could grind dubloons through missions and rewards and eventually buy a ship and gift it to his main, but then he could have spent that time on his main grinding the dubloons himself. He can't gift anything from a supercontainer, only sell it for credits. Grinding a line to tier VI to get the rewards seems like a waste.

I can't see the point. Am I missing something?

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,925 posts
8,282 battles

Some like to reroll their account to get a perfectly purple record. Others because they are shy about using their main account while posting on the forums. These are the two most common reasons.

[VW]
Members
2,526 posts
14,518 battles

He can do it four more times and get the same rewards.

he can post purple numbers on forum, thus adding weight to his clams.

he can gift his account to a friend and have them at least be at tier 6.

only a few off he top of me head.

Edited by monpetitloup

[VW]
Members
2,526 posts
14,518 battles

Dont you hate it when you start typing and no one is before you only to post and see that someone beat you and answered essentially the same thing?

:cap_wander:

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Members
1,410 posts
6,018 battles
Just now, monpetitloup said:

He can do it four more times and get the same rewards.

he can post purple numbers on forum, this adding weight to his clams.

he can gift his account to a friend and have them at least be at tier 6.

only a few off he top of me head.

You can't gift the account.  Someone recently posted on these forums about a ban, I think, for doing that very thing.

[VW]
Members
2,526 posts
14,518 battles
Just now, Amenhir said:

You can't gift the account.  Someone recently posted on these forums about a ban, I think, for doing that very thing.

Whats to stop said person from giving someone the password to the account? 

[DPG]
Members
1,410 posts
6,018 battles

Nothing, but if they find out and that person put time and money into the account it's going to raise a stink.  Sharing account info violates the ToS or EULA or something.  

[ARGSY]
Members
10,922 posts
7,074 battles
13 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

thus adding weight to his clams.

I think you meant claims, but thanks for the laugh. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

Members
381 posts
3,998 battles

Maybe too cheep to buy port slots?

The problem with having more than one account would be finding time to play in both.  Unless you have nothing else to do.

Another possible reason is to allow a young child in your household to have access to an account other than your main account.  I can see this being a main reason for people with kids.

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
2,526 posts
14,518 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

LOL! Missed it, but will leave it. Thanks for catching it! :cap_like:

[HINON]
Members
10,787 posts

You also can't use ingame doubloons to buy stuff for another account. You have to buy stuff through the premium shop to gift it to another. 

[NGAGE]
Members
1,392 posts
7,948 battles

I used to be complete garbage in CV. Like 400 wtr horrid.

I made an alt account and releveled Japanese CVs. I had no free xp. I had no doubloons. When I got to t7, and had to face Saipans over and over again... and I couldn’t just skip the tier... that’s when it all started clicking.

I still play it some, though it’s rare now. I only need 7k more xp and I’ll have my 2nd Hak. I also have a 2nd Hindenburg on that account so that I can play Clan Battles with another 5D clan. Going from Typhoon/Hurricane constant matches to Storm/Gale... is very refreshing and fun. Plus it’s a chance to play with other clan members that aren’t in my specific sub clan.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons for having an alt account.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
17 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Nothing, but if they find out and that person put time and money into the account it's going to raise a stink.  Sharing account info violates the ToS or EULA or something.  

Yeah you are right, a least what I was told, I set up an account for a family member so when he was visiting he could play but stay off my account. When he stopped playing I asked if I could use the account. And since it was a free account and only used on my computer and IP I thought support would yes.

But the answer was NO!

[WOLF6]
Members
767 posts
4,880 battles

I play on the road all the time using hotel WiFi.   So my Account is being used on different IPs all over the US and several other countries.  So far my account hasn’t been banned for having different IPs every time I log-in.

i do have an second account set up for my son (I guess that’s an alt account but it’s primarily for him not me) , it so that I can division with him and play together with him via FaceTime when I’m traveling and also talk about other things while we’re loading in waiting for the match to begin or while we’re messing around in port to decide what we are going to do next.

Members
708 posts
12,974 battles

A new account would get you preferred match making for your first battles. A person could keep making new accounts and face absolute beginners for his first 50 matches or so.

[JASH]
Members
3,706 posts
10,210 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Well, if you're going to play clam battles you better bring the heavies. 

Members
22,823 posts
5,796 battles
2 hours ago, Amenhir said:

TBH, that's probably just there to avoid any issues where WG would have to deal with say, someone gifting an account, and then wanting it back.

Another reason to have an alt account is because of a lack of port slots. Newer players may not realise that freebies come along on a somewhat regular basis. (or are too impatient to collect them)

Edited by Skpstr

[DPG]
Members
1,410 posts
6,018 battles
8 hours ago, Skpstr said:

TBH, that's probably just there to avoid any issues where WG would have to deal with say, someone gifting an account, and then wanting it back.

Another reason to have an alt account is because of a lack of port slots. Newer players may not realise that freebies come along on a somewhat regular basis. (or are too impatient to collect them)

It's not just the "wanting it back" aspect.  It's that some people store their payment info on an account.  If you have their log in info for that account and they've used a credit card or other payment method to buy some premium time, and stored it, well then, you've got a huge mess.  I could see someone buying a day of premium time if they're gaming the referral system.  I'm sure they'd like to avoid having to deal with any possible fraud situations.  Obviously if you give your account info to someone and they use your money to buy some stuff, having it be a "no-no" relieves them of all liability.

[YORHA]
Members
4,149 posts
7,159 battles
8 hours ago, lemekillmister said:

Well, if you're going to play clam battles you better bring the heavies. 

196x196.png

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
10 hours ago, wtfovr said:

I play on the road all the time using hotel WiFi.   So my Account is being used on different IPs all over the US and several other countries.  So far my account hasn’t been banned for having different IPs every time I log-in.

i do have an second account set up for my son (I guess that’s an alt account but it’s primarily for him not me) , it so that I can division with him and play together with him via FaceTime when I’m traveling and also talk about other things while we’re loading in waiting for the match to begin or while we’re messing around in port to decide what we are going to do next.

Well, my son has an account, but, I didn't set it up.  He just has to convince me if he wants something other than F2P play in it.  But it's not my account.

Members
567 posts
80 battles

Did it three times for three port slots and 3x rest were icing on the cake. Takes no time at all to get to T6 going the Japanese DD line if you're doing 6-15 torp hits every battle. 

Sign in to follow this