You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Best build for the Richelieu

34 comments in this topic

Members
341 posts
7,093 battles

I have a 10 point capt and am trying to find the best build for her. Is a full AA build worth the cost as I've heard she has decent AA for tier VIII? TIA

[INTEL]
Members
7,125 posts
29,381 battles

I'd say: PT-AR-SI-AFT

for an AA build at 10 points. AA is decent.

Edited by alexf24

[SYN]
Members
15,331 posts
12,175 battles

CE and AFT or FP and AFT

The secondaries and AA guns croak and die relatively easily on the FRBBs, for some reason.

Edited by MrDeaf

[WOLFB]
Members
2,631 posts
10,657 battles

If you plan to go for Republique I would recommend something like this :

PT

EM

SI

AFT

FP

BFT--> This one can be replace by something else but I just don't know what 

AR

[MIA-P]
Members
665 posts
6,351 battles

Don't make an AA build. The Richelieu's AA isn't good enough to justify it, and there aren't enough CVs at tier 8 to  make it worth while.

If your captain is just for the Richelieu, then something like Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush (The Rich doesn't really need Expert Marksman since all the turrets face forward), Basics of Survivability/Superintendent, Concealment Expert/Fire Prevention would be a reasonable build. Basically, fire prevention/concealment focused.

If your captain is also going to be serving on the Alsace and Republique, the above build will serve you fine, but you could also try a secondary focused captain. This might include Basic and Advanced Firing Training, as well as Manual Secondary Guns. The Richelieu has ok secondaries and some may recommend to you that it too can work with a secondary build, but in my personal experience the secondaries just aren't strong enough to make investing in them worth while, plus you lose out on many fire prevention and concealment skills which can seriously impact your survivability. So in my opinion I would only go for secondaries if you plan on having a secondary build on those higher tier ships.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,310 posts
14,457 battles
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

PT

EM

SI

AFT

FP

AR

I would switch PT for PM. 

The only thing PT will give you is if a DD is targeting you and your unspotted by other ships.

PM will keep those secondaries and AA alive a little longer.

I would keep BFT because the Republique secondaries are brutal and it helps your AA.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I have a 10 point capt and am trying to find the best build for her. Is a full AA build worth the cost as I've heard she has decent AA for tier VIII? TIA

For a 10 point capt i would go for PT (PM is also good), AR, SI and CE.

If you want a AA build (which i dont think its worth it, IMO) you could trade SI for BFT and CE for AFT.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,271 battles

My plan for my Richelieu/Dunkerque

• 1 - Priority Target
  • 1 - Preventative Maintenance
  • 2 - Expert Marksman
  • 3 - Basics of Survivalbility
  • 4 - Advanced Firing Training
  • 4 - Manual Secondaries
  • 4 - Concealment Expert or Manual Anti-Air (have not been able to decide)

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
4 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

You need endurance much more than AA. 90% of your deaths are likely due to enemy fires and AP, not aircraft. 

Therefore Basics of Survivability and Fire Prevention are much more useful than BFT and AFT. Concealment is also extremely important. If you are having massive problems with CVs, you should be reexamining your positioning - because thats typically the real problem (not your lack of AA). BFT/AFT/Concealment spec is serviceable, but not recommended. 

The best build in my opinion is Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline, Basics of Survivability, Superintendent, Fire Prevention and Concealment.

Edited by Ulthwey

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
4 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

My plan for my Richelieu/Dunkerque

• 1 - Priority Target
  • 1 - Preventative Maintenance
  • 2 - Expert Marksman
  • 3 - Basics of Survivalbility
  • 4 - Advanced Firing Training
  • 4 - Manual Secondaries
  • 4 - Concealment Expert or Manual Anti-Air (have not been able to decide)

This is a horrible build dude.

• Boring 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,271 battles
1 minute ago, Ulthwey said:

• I like to know who is targeting me
  • I can't have my main guns taken out
  • Making fast turrets turn faster
  • Need to not use Repair for as long as possible
  • Dangerous secondary range
  • More dangerous secondary range
  • I make use of Richelieu's maneuverability by making "U-turns" a lot and running from the enemy / Richelieu's secondaries are all DP so they become more dangerous

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
2 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

PT

EM

SI

AFT

FP

AR

Why are you taking PT? You are in a battleship - you should be expecting to be fired upon when you are spotted which is why you should ALWAYS be angled. Do you REALLY need a captain skill to tell you the obvious?

Both Preventative Maintenance AND Expert Loader are much better choices. One prevents your guns from being knocked out at close range (which happens often) while the other helps you switch ammo better since you are a static ship that cant relly on maneuverability to get an angle on the enemy.

Edited by Ulthwey

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:
  • I like to know who is targeting me
  • I can't have my main guns taken out
  • Making fast turrets turn faster
  • Need to not use Repair for as long as possible
  • Dangerous secondary range
  • More dangerous secondary range
  • I make use of Richelieu's maneuverability by making "U-turns" a lot and running from the enemy / Richelieu's secondaries are all DP so they become more dangerous

Your secondaries are only dangerous if you are running away. The ones facing forward are 100mm and they cant pen anything. A smart DD player will see past the hypothetical "danger" of your secondaries while a master DD player will never reveal himself to you in the first place.

Edited by Ulthwey

[WOLF7]
Members
11,627 posts
5 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

Everyone has an opinion and everyone plays differently....

So unless you somehow think that you know everything about the game and the other players....:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,271 battles
1 minute ago, Ulthwey said:

Your secondaries are only dangerous if you are running away. The ones facing forward are 100mm and they cant pen anything. A smart DD player will see past the hypothetical "danger" of your secondaries while a master DD player will never reveal himself to you in the first place.

You forget that I said "U-Turn" Tactics. I will consistently charge a relatively safe position then I do a U-Turn after I shoot after the enemy shoots while having my Secondaries rip them up while my guns reload and change position. If I am gonna get chased by a DD that I can see, I rather turn away and let my Secondaries deal with him while I point at a different target.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
8 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Everyone has an opinion and everyone plays differently....

So unless you somehow think that you know everything about the game and the other players....:cap_hmm:

Its about effectiveness. The better you are as a player the better you can make ships work despite their limitations. New players and scrubs die to CVs all the time - so they always spec AA to compensate for their lack of skill. Its harsh, but true.

Me? I cant remember the last time a CV actually killed me - I have taken damage from them but I cant recall the last time I was killed to the point that it compelled me to change my captain build to AA. Even my Montana is specced for Endurance.

Edited by Ulthwey

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

You forget that I said "U-Turn" Tactics. I will consistently charge a relatively safe position then I do a U-Turn after I shoot after the enemy shoots while having my Secondaries rip them up while my guns reload and change position. If I am gonna get chased by a DD that I can see, I rather turn away and let my Secondaries deal with him while I point at a different target.

4 capt point is a very high price to pay for the ability to do very minimal damage upon making a U-turn. You are giving up Concealment (extremely important) and Fire Prevention (frenchies buuuurn hard).

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,271 battles
Just now, Ulthwey said:

4 capt point is a very high price to pay for the ability to do very minimal damage upon making a U-turn. You are giving up Concealment (extremely important) and Fire Prevention (frenchies buuuurn hard).

I can take the fire's and I am deciding on CE or Manual AA. Those are the last skill I need and I do plenty of damage when making U-Turn's because players tend to stop shooting me.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,628 posts

for BB it's always the 4 points that are weak:

fire prevention? almost never get 4 fires, also the middle 2 section merged into 1 you say? yeah you won't get 2 fires there, but it also increases the chance you will get middle fire, no?

concealment? i will always keep firing at anything in range

secondaries? brawling is not the current meta and you die too fast

???

• Angry 1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
18 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I can take the fire's and I am deciding on CE or Manual AA. Those are the last skill I need and I do plenty of damage when making U-Turn's because players tend to stop shooting me.

I don't remember Richleu having a strong long range aura to warrant taking manual AA, BFT/AFT alone are probably more effective. Im pretty sure only the 100mms contribute to long range AA and Im pretty sure they dont do much in the dps department - this isn't even close to Gneisnau or Bismarck long range aura.

Edited by Ulthwey

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,515 posts
6,189 battles
5 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

A full AA build is never worth the cost, because there are not enough carriers in the game to make it worthwhile.

That said, some skills that buff your AA, while helping other things can be good.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
4,486 posts
11,046 battles
1 hour ago, Ulthwey said:

Why are you taking PT? You are in a battleship - you should be expecting to be fired upon when you are spotted which is why you should ALWAYS be angled. Do you REALLY need a captain skill to tell you the obvious?

Both Preventative Maintenance AND Expert Loader are much better choices. One prevents your guns from being knocked out at close range (which happens often) while the other helps you switch ammo better since you are a static ship that cant relly on maneuverability to get an angle on the enemy.

That's what I thought as well. But knowing how many people are shooting at you, etc. can lead you to use DCP more efficiently.

[-TAB-]
Beta Testers
131 posts
7,066 battles
48 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

A full AA build is never worth the cost, because there are not enough carriers in the game to make it worthwhile.

That said, some skills that buff your AA, while helping other things can be good.

When a CV one shots you I don' want to hear they are overpowered or anything.

The rich is one of the few boats I have a weird capt combo. For it's tier  she has very good AA  and long-range 7.2 km. I know it sounds crazy  but I run Manuel secondaries and Manual  AA  with aft and bft 19 point captain.

Why it's so balanced on this ship it' makes it awsome. 2 biggest weakness to BB are DD and CV, on avrg a regular Rich  secondaries are ok but when fully spec aa and manual secondaries  it turns rich into great at everything not the best but number 2 in every category.  

Edited by OppressorUnion

[SFOR]
Members
973 posts
6,958 battles

About the choices i see here.

I would exchange EM for AR. 36 seconds is good enough.

I would still use PT as my first 1 point captain skill.  It gives you important info in different situations.

Manual secondaries on the Richelieu is really a bad choice. Since the Richelieu playstyle is a lot about stay bow in in a corner you will probaly be the priority target for HE spammers. So FP and CE would be much better,

Expert loader for me is great only in the British BBs. To exchange to AP when you see a cruiser or BBs showing the broadside.