You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bigbearbeear

British cruiser guns, do they get better?

30 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,589 battles

I've been progressing up the British cruiser line and learning its many quirks, including the frequent sinking by bot ships (I play only co op games) when I make a mistake.  I am at Tier 5, the Emerald now and one thing I've noticed is that even destroyers are bouncing my shells!

What the heck?!?!?  

Do their guns get better eventually or am I doomed to be always hosing off tons and tons of shells and watching many of them shatter and bounce, all the way to tier 10?

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

i feel as though this video may answer your question.

short answer; they get much better starting with the second half of the line. you're almost there.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
1,127 posts
4,956 battles

Yes. The British cruiser line get's better.

Leander is a blast to play at tier 6, and the Fiji is the Leander fun times 10 at tier 7 in my opinion.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,347 posts
19,654 battles
52 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

As Midnight said; one more tier up and its a smooth ride from there ;)

42 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

Yes. The British cruiser line get's better.

Leander is a blast to play at tier 6, and the Fiji is the Leander fun times 10 at tier 7 in my opinion.

People keep saying this; but my experience has never matched what they say...

Hated Leander so much I sold it, Fiji, and Eddy all at once. No plans to buy them back, nor to go any higher in the tree.

Btw; Emerald I kept; at least it can torp things to death.

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles
16 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hated Leander so much I sold it, Fiji, and Eddy all at once. No plans to buy them back, nor to go any higher in the tree.

She plays like Atlanta. Hug islands near or in caps and be the wall.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,127 posts
4,956 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yeah. I think each of  us has a ship or ships that we just don't have as much fun playing and/or can be "grind."

But I have really enjoyed the Leander and the Fiji but understand that not everyone may like how they play. I liked the Emerald too, but I didn't have room in my port to keep her.

Now, the French tier V BB, the Bretagne, I just cannot wait to get out of. 

[RLGN]
Members
10,347 posts
19,654 battles
41 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

Now, the French tier V BB, the Bretagne, I just cannot wait to get out of. 

In that case, going to T6 was great.

Normandie has been a blast. One of my first runs with it was the last time Killer Whale came up, and I wound up with over 300 secondary hits using it.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,417 posts
14,831 battles
5 hours ago, bigbearbeear said:

I've been progressing up the British cruiser line and learning its many quirks, including the frequent sinking by bot ships (I play only co op games) when I make a mistake.  I am at Tier 5, the Emerald now and one thing I've noticed is that even destroyers are bouncing my shells!

What the heck?!?!?  

Do their guns get better eventually or am I doomed to be always hosing off tons and tons of shells and watching many of them shatter and bounce, all the way to tier 10?

Bots are super accurate so no shame in being sunk by one. I play Co-op exclusively (now) as well so been there and done that. But you know that already as we have seen each other in high tier games. LOL

Biggest thing with the T5 and lower BRN CL's firepower is the single guns and their placement. You only have AP (good AP though) so ships with good armor and/or angled targets are near impossible to damage. You have limited guns overall and the number you can safely bring to bear on a target are few many times which makes it worse.

At T6 with Leander though you get a normal gun layout and improved performance from your AP. The gun range is actually shorter than Emerald but they are better guns and easier to bring to bear. And while fragile like all BRN CL's starting with Leander you are a tad tougher than the T5 and earlier ones that can blow up if you sneeze while playing.

I actually think Fiji at T7 is the jewel in the crown of the BRN CL line. The ship is just a flat out beast. Minotaur is amazing as well but Fiji seems more OP vs the ships it faces than Minotaur does.

Keep going OP it gets better by a lot. You are almost to the best part of the line = T6+.

Might go rebuy Emerald just to play in support of you and suffer with you LOL. Maybe beat my best game (111K 4 kill) from my original time with it. Oh lord the Emerald again???  Will need to practice my :Smile_hiding:  

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[HINON]
Supertester
20,705 posts
14,131 battles

The guns do get better, yes. However: because of the way the game's physics and armor-model work and the fact that they're all still 152mm guns, you'll still bounce off of well angled destroyers.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,719 posts
7,007 battles

The guns get better, their disposition is outstandingly improved (bow-on and stern-on you can bring four guns to bear), their rate of fire goes up and I think they are also more lethal shell for shell.

The range drops, but everything else makes the Leander a joy to play compared to her predecessor.

You also have a half-decent secondary armament that will shoot down aircraft through something other than RNG, and if you should get close enough to an opponent it will occasionally set fires.

You will, however, miss the extra torpedoes.

The Fiji is, in main armament terms, the Leander x 1.5 (but with one torpedo fewer per side).

The Edinburgh, torpedoes excepted, is LITERALLY the Leander x 1.5 because it has an extra secondary turret on each side.

[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,589 battles

Thanks guys, and yes, managed to get the Leander today and it is a much easier ship to play.  Stock configuration was difficult but once the 8km torps and increased range radar has been researched it gets easier.  I do miss having the 2 x 3 torpedo configuration though, while the torps have longer range, it is also easier for the bots to dodge them now.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,417 posts
14,831 battles
5 hours ago, bigbearbeear said:

Thanks guys, and yes, managed to get the Leander today and it is a much easier ship to play.  Stock configuration was difficult but once the 8km torps and increased range radar has been researched it gets easier.  I do miss having the 2 x 3 torpedo configuration though, while the torps have longer range, it is also easier for the bots to dodge them now.

Unfortunately, Leander, Fiji, and Edinburgh only get 1  torp launcher p/ side. You have to get to Neptune at T9 to go back to the 2 launchers p/ side. And those throw 4 torps p/ launcher so you get an 8 torp spread which is nice vs just 3 with T6-T8.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[AAA]
Members
637 posts
7,364 battles

Leander was ok. Fiji is were it starts to rock at least for me. But I liked Emerald more than Leander and that’s odd. 

FYI Belfast is the best of the line but no longer for sale

[ARGSY]
Members
10,719 posts
7,007 battles

I'm beginning to think that my big problem with Emerald is that I never put Priority Target on the captain, and I wasn't very experienced either.

I suspect a combination of these might improve my Emerald gameplay. But which ship to ditch? Now that I have the Varyag for low-tier Russian fun, do I really need the Svietlana?

[WOLFG]
Members
252 posts

Just got the  Fiji.  Boy is  it fun.  I liked the Leander,  but her damage against BBs really put me off keeping her.   The Emerald, I didn't even  buy the mods for her and got out of her as fast as I could.  Just too many other ships that play better than her and I hate tier five anyway.  I played the Norma (Minotaur) in Space Battles and that is what kinda pushed me to the RN line.  Yes, it does get better.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

Members
1,890 posts
9,820 battles

Hey

I am at Fiji and enjoy playing it; but, is the Edinburgh really any better?  Or is it going to be another Meh, bump in the RN cruiser road?

Pete

[BS]
Members
1,431 posts
7,785 battles

i think they keep the exact same guns all the way to the minotaur, except each ship fires faster/has more guns as you go up the tree.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,417 posts
14,831 battles
15 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I am at Fiji and enjoy playing it; but, is the Edinburgh really any better?  Or is it going to be another Meh, bump in the RN cruiser road?

Pete

Well, for me Edinburgh was not as good as Fiji. It is a good ship but I just struggled to do damage with it like I did with Fiji big time? FWIW I struggle in Belfast too and even though it is a T7 in game like Fiji it is actually an Edinburgh class ship so...? I did fine in Neptune though so go figure.

That seems to happen a lot. Some don't care for Ed but like Neptune and then it can work the other way too. Both are good ships but they are both different than Fiji. Fiji is a shining jewel there at T7 and might be the best ship in the line overall with Minotaur either edging it out or just falling short depending on personal preference. 

Minotaur is worth the grind though for sure.

Members
1,890 posts
9,820 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Well, for me Edinburgh was not as good as Fiji. It is a good ship but I just struggled to do damage with it like I did with Fiji big time? FWIW I struggle in Belfast too and even though it is a T7 in game like Fiji it is actually an Edinburgh class ship so...? I did fine in Neptune though so go figure.

That seems to happen a lot. Some don't care for Ed but like Neptune and then it can work the other way too. Both are good ships but they are both different than Fiji. Fiji is a shining jewel there at T7 and might be the best ship in the line overall with Minotaur either edging it out or just falling short depending on personal preference. 

Minotaur is worth the grind though for sure.

Hey

That's kind of what I have been wondering and why I haven't made a push for the Ed.  I really don't like the RN BB's either but that's a different matter.  Fiji is flat out a good cruiser.

Pete

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,417 posts
14,831 battles
9 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

That's kind of what I have been wondering and why I haven't made a push for the Ed.  I really don't like the RN BB's either but that's a different matter.  Fiji is flat out a good cruiser.

Pete

Minotaur is worth the grind no question. It is flat out crazy fun. Edinburgh is not bad. For me it is just not as good as Fiji. I liked Neptune better too. YMMV however.

I am not a big fan of the BRN BB's either. Least favorite of all the lines. KGV is really good and I enjoy that one and Conqueror is ok but the rest of the regular line doesn't do much for me. Guess Iron Duke wasn't too bad. QE and Monarch were some of the most god awful ships I have played in the game period. They rival ships like Myogi, Kawachi, and Kirov for just plain YUCK!

I like Hood and Warspite in the Premiums.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,218 posts
11,734 battles

The Minito is extremely fun with the fastest reload, its like machine gun on steroid and if players whom grind from low tier to high tier, they should know where to make the most out of AP shells and how to play is the bb worst nightmare.

There are 2 builds that funs - hydro + radar + WASD hack

and

smoke + hydro + find me an island with little WASD hack

It is well worth the grind

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles
1 hour ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Pete

I felt like Edinburgh was a step down.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,720 posts
18,080 battles

Tier V and below RN CLs are one of the worst spots to be in this game.  Emerald is terrible in every possible way.

I hate seeing Emeralds on my team as they all die early before doing anything.

I love seeing Emeralds on the enemy team as they die real easy without doing anything.

That said, Tier VI Leander's guns start getting more reliable.  She is a much better CL all around.  Then when you get to Fiji at Tier VII, she's amazing.

Shot placement and proper target selection is key with RN CL AP shells.

DDs are your prime targets, your special RN CL AP shells are devastating to DDs past Tier V.  In Tier IX-X, they are absolutely murderous to them.

Cruisers and Battleships are trickier.  If they are well angled, bow on, your shells will do nothing.  If you're seeing a lot of sides of a Cruiser or Battleship:

Cruisers - If the range is short, i.e. 10km or less, go for citadel hits.  Of course, if you are in Fiji fighting Emerald, then hit Emerald anywhere and you'll citadel it :Smile_teethhappy:

Battleships - Their armor belts are very thick and you'll pretty much not citadel a BB.  However, go for upper hull and lower superstructure hits.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway