You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mrieder79

What is the "BB AP fix" that I hear about sometimes?

11 comments in this topic

Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

I have seen comments on posts and videos that seem to indicate that BB AP is somehow broken with regards to destroyers and will soon be changed. Is this a rumor or something that may actually happen? 

Thanks for any help. Apologies if there is a big thread on this somewhere, I looked and couldn't find it. 

Members
4,473 posts
7,234 battles

Basically it is to prevent a BB from removing 75% of a DDs health with a shell.  It is mentioned in the videos called Waterline by 2 of the Devs (well a Dev and his boss).  It is as if the BB hits a citadel when DDs done have them.  The AP causes too much damage in certain circumstances.

[LEGIO]
Members
3,268 posts
6,046 battles

DD mains are upset (DD mains upset about something? What a surprise...) that an AP shell traveling down the length of their destroyer has time to fuse and explode and thus deal 1/3 damage instead of just an overpen. But it's realistic.

If they don't like it they should keep their broadside to the enemy.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[H-W-C]
Members
1,271 posts
3,613 battles
5 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

DD mains are upset (DD mains upset about something? What a surprise...) that an AP shell traveling down the length of their destroyer has time to fuse and explode and thus deal 1/3 damage instead of just an overpen. But it's realistic.

If they don't like it they should keep their broadside to the enemy.

No no, regular pens are fine. What this is intended to end is the shell fusing and exploding and then also overpenning at the same time, dealing both overpen and regular pen damage with one shell. Regular pens will (should, anyway) still happen as they are now. It just won't add a thousand damage on top of that now.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,791 posts
9,443 battles

It's just DD mains upset they take overpen and reg pen damage. Almost a wonder WG is listening to them over the BaBBies that would insist 'No no, keep this bug, stealth DDs are cancer, we need extra damage."

Either way, the fix isn't going to break the game.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,791 posts
9,443 battles
2 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

This is scientific fact.

Radar and CV spotting seem adequate cures, can't always rely on your stealth DDs.

That said, stealth builds are the only viable base build for all but the Russian DD lines since thin armor save for the Khab.

I'd be delighted if stealth builds get changed to nerf the operating costs (triple them), but that's from disliking them--and I'm a bit of a hypocrite there since except for the 3 KMS BBs in port and Russian DDs, all my ships have stealth builds.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,631 posts
10,657 battles

I don't know if you noticed in game but sometime when a BB land a single shell, that shell will deal double damage. If you're lucky it will just count as a double overpen and if you're not, it will count as double pen. Sometime you see "overpen" ribbon but then you noticed you dealt 6k damage to a target. This bug isn't specific to DD, it also applies to cruiser but since DD has almost no HP, it's game breaking for DD. 

Since most BBies are too much spoiled  by WG, they now cry about every single thing that " treaten" them ( quotation marks are important here ) even when it comes to balance, you can see some example above. Everything that may scratch their paint are to be nerfed : HE ? nerf because fire are "OP". Torpedo ? Nerf because it deals too much damage. Aircraft ? Nerf because I'm not AA built and I don't want to sacrifice something.  Well they are BBies after all, we need to train them to discover the outside world, the world of DD, CA/CL and CV. They will never learn something in their little protected BB garden.

Anyway  WG planned to remove the ability for BB to pen DD no matter the angle, they tried something, it worked for DD but then they had trouble with some cruiser, I think RN CL since they have DD armor on some part. It increased some cruiser survivabilities (which is not an issue IMO considering how fast CA die)

For now they are working on fixing this issue.

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
6,292 posts
10,490 battles
9 hours ago, Reymu said:

Radar and CV spotting seem adequate cures, can't always rely on your stealth DDs.

Remember when radar wasn't even an option in this game?  Those were certainly the glory days for DD's, or "Happy Time" as German U-Boats used to call it.

[SYN]
Members
15,331 posts
12,175 battles

Yeah, the magical single AP shell dealing 43%~86% damage penetration hits on DDs get a bit ridiculous.

If you are a BB, It means that there's no reason to load HE to deal with DDs. Just wait for them to start turning and then unload your AP shells into them.