You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
needlenoses4

Upper tier Battleship play

11 comments in this topic

[LHG]
Members
94 posts
7,700 battles

I will try not to whine;  Recently picked up the Tier 9 Saint Louis BB and the Tire 8 N. Carolina BB.  I am not really getting a chance to practice with ships Artillery as I am continuously being beaten up by ships I either can't see at all or are out of my range.  I am doing continuous S turns and speed changes but these changes occur so slowly that I am thinking just turn into the enemy zone and commit suicide; just kidding about that but I am frustrated not knowing what to do.  Sure, I can buy the enhancements like better hull etc..   but will these actually help.  The ships that are out there committing the slaughter are other T 9 and T 10 ships.  I am, like others, getting slaughtered by torps from ships I don't see even after they hit and of course from Aircraft.  These ships just are not good at avoidance .The other issue with a BB is the Bayern; I send out so many broadsides following with a turn where the shells land equally on both sides od the enemy hull.  On head to head shooting the forward shells once again fall on both sides on the approaching hull .

Do, whining over, I am just asking for some input.  Going back to the Fiji and the Pensacola for the time being.:Smile-angry:

[SALVO]
Members
20,508 posts
20,327 battles

You either mean the T9 cruiser St Louis, or the T9 BB Alsace, if you're talking about a French ship.

As for the Bayern, if you get a lot of "splitting" in your volleys, try aiming for the left or right edge of the ship as you're looking at her bow, and maybe you'll get at least half of those shells in the volley to be a bit closer.  Regardless, the Bayern is a very inaccurate BB that demands you close on the enemy to increase your hit rate.

[AXANR]
Members
3,384 posts
17,708 battles
23 minutes ago, needlenoses4 said:

I will try not to whine;  Recently picked up the Tier 9 Saint Louis BB and the Tire 8 N. Carolina BB.  I am not really getting a chance to practice with ships Artillery as I am continuously being beaten up by ships I either can't see at all or are out of my range.  I am doing continuous S turns and speed changes but these changes occur so slowly that I am thinking just turn into the enemy zone and commit suicide; just kidding about that but I am frustrated not knowing what to do.  Sure, I can buy the enhancements like better hull etc..   but will these actually help.  The ships that are out there committing the slaughter are other T 9 and T 10 ships.  I am, like others, getting slaughtered by torps from ships I don't see even after they hit and of course from Aircraft.  These ships just are not good at avoidance .The other issue with a BB is the Bayern; I send out so many broadsides following with a turn where the shells land equally on both sides od the enemy hull.  On head to head shooting the forward shells once again fall on both sides on the approaching hull .

Do, whining over, I am just asking for some input.  Going back to the Fiji and the Pensacola for the time being.:Smile-angry:

Not sure what you mean by Tier 9 St Louis BB, the tier 9 Saint Louis is a CA. But to answer a few of your questions: 

You've got the right idea for torp avoidance by constantly turning and doing speed changes; that honestly avoids one of the bigger mistakes BB drivers make, which is derping into torps because they maintain predictable courses. S-curves are a bit overkill, but constant zig-zagging is a good thing. 

Stay angled to your biggest threats, esp in North Carolina as she has weak side armor but is strong bow-on. Try to keep bow-on or no more than about a 20-degree angle to other BBs, especially until you're more confident with your ship. 

Buying the upgraded hull and other enhancements absolutely helps. On North Carolina for example, upgrading to B hull gives you 15,000 more HP, a much faster rudder shift, and close to doubles your anti-aircraft firepower. This is true for most hull upgrades; you almost always get those benefits when you transition from the A hull to the B hull. The speed upgrade helps you get positioned correctly and get out of trouble when you need to. And the upgraded Gun Fire Control System can come last as most BBs including NorCar are least accurate at the edge of their range; NorCar really only gets accurate enough to influence the battle at mid-range. In my NorCar, I try to maintain a 10-14km engagement range depending on what I'm facing and the overall game situation. The extra couple km of range from the GFCS upgrade is nice but less important than the B hull or the upgraded engines. 

Try using the concealment systems upgrade and get concealment expert as a captain skill; this helps you not be the first ship spotted by the enemy and so you're not focused on by opponents as much. It also helps you get away when you're taking too much fire so you can heal and get back in the fight. 

I'd have to see you play to be able to diagnose much more than that, but that answers a few of your questions and hopefully will help some. The good news is you actually are coming to the forum to ask questions and get help, which puts you way ahead of many players in this game. There's a lot of knowledge here on the forums, so hopefully you'll get the tools you need to improve. :)

Edited by poeticmotion

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
25 minutes ago, needlenoses4 said:

Go to the Training Room for Practice WG activated the bots and the difficulty at which they play.

Set up a few games with them and have at it.

[LHG]
Members
94 posts
7,700 battles

Never have done the Practice WG using BOTS.  Gotta find it first.  As for the Saint-Louis, thought it was a BB for some reason.  Will take it out in a while but need to do some upgrades.  Very low on Exchange XP so need to do some earning.  Trouble also is that it costs me more to repair and replace the ship than I can earn as I learn my way in these ships.. Upper level ships are way more costly for sure..   Getting totally smoked by ships out of my range or not visible at all  ( reading about that ).  Torp kills have been by multiple spreads.  Well done by the CV or DD.

Will look into the upgrades as Credits become available.  ( can I buy more credits?? 

[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,872 battles

The Saint Louis is not a BB. BB's can't dodge shells, they are too fat. The best you can do is go slow, you can trick some players into shooting in front of you. People recommend concealment upgrades, which might help, but you have to play differently to cheese concealment, and dd's will still see you long before you see them. If you're shooting at cruisers or dd's, get used to a lot of shells falling in the water. The dispersion upgrade helps a tiny bit. You have to be closer to get more hits. Lucky the NC is at least relatively fast. Use islands to your advantage; they usually prevent being spotted except by aircraft, turn off AA to keep planes from spotting you. To keep from being torpedo bombed, go full AA and/or stay with a good AA cruiser. Following a cruiser might get you rekt by other things, but that is the counterplay to CV. A lot of things are possible in this game that really shouldn't be, if you keep playing you will figure them out.

[LHG]
Members
94 posts
7,700 battles

thanks for the input;  Saint Louis is a favorite target for early takedown.  had a few 50K battles but rare for me.  Thinking about spending some time with DDs and learning how to aim torps safely and accurately.  have the Farragut and picked up a Japanese tier II DD plus the izyaslay.  Most of my damage has been with guns as I really don't understand the aiming technique while under pressure.  Will work on it.  Oh  ands, does anyone know the correct IP address for use on Pingplotter.   I am dying quite regularly do to serious lag issues.  going on for last few weeks.

Thanks people.  Won't give up;.  When I get frustrated I just float away and think about the game for a while.  Getting pinked for leaving a game when it is caused by network issues is a [edited].  I would never run from a game without telling the team.  Like an emergency.

Ranting; sorry.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,624 posts

forget german BBs, they suck

i think you can try japanese or french BBs, and keep the distance and snipe, their guns are much more acurate

until you get a hang of it, don't get too close and get deleted too fast

[YETI]
Members
120 posts
6,199 battles

OP, I would recommend you play more battles in the mid tiers.   T9 and T10 can be very hard if you don't have a good handle on gameplay and as you've experienced hard to make a profit.

Chances are you will be alive longer in the mid tiers so you will learn the gameplay better and get more practice shooting.

Yes, you can purchase credits in the premium shop with real currency.

Beta Testers
1,581 posts
8,025 battles

Just a question OP, but did you use free exp to unlock these BBs?  From the way you refer to things it sounds like you haven’t played BBs much past tier 6.

Many is the things you mentioned first become common in tier 7 and 8, and as such practicing BB play there will help you deal with them better at tier 9-10.