Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Will we see Italian cruisers this year? How will they play like?

38 comments in this topic

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

As I'm sure the USN cruiser split won't be the only new (and not new) line this year, I think there's a good possibility that we might see Italian cruisers this year, because a cruiser like hasn't been released for quite some time. What are the chances of us seeing an Italian cruiser line this year? What would their play style be? 

I am especially looking forward to the Italian CAs Zara, Trento, and Bolzano, all of which I think could be Tier 6 (Trento, Bolzano) and Tier 7 (Zara) material. What would their guns be like? Durability? I really like the USN 8" guns because of their super heavy shells and semi-lolpen on enemy cruisers. How would Italian guns perform?

The Ducas (both) seem to have flat arcs but really weak HE, I hope the Italian CAs won't be like that.

Edited by Zionas
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,860 posts
8,916 battles
3 minutes ago, Zionas said:

As I'm sure the USN cruiser split won't be the only new (and not new) line this year, I think there's a good possibility that we might see Italian cruisers this year, because a cruiser like hasn't been released for quite some time. What are the chances of us seeing an Italian cruiser line this year? What would their play style be? 

I am especially looking forward to the Italian CAs Zara, Trento, and Bolzano, all of which I think could be Tier 6 (Trento, Bolzano) and Tier 7 (Zara) material. What would their guns be like? Durability? I really like the USN 8" guns because of their super heavy shells and semi-lolpen on enemy cruisers. How would Italian guns perform?

The Ducas (both) seem to have flat arcs but really weak HE, I hope the Italian CAs won't be like that.

as for them coming this year, rumor is their queued for the last quarter of the year, as for how they'll play, no clue 

Edited by tcbaker777

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,764 posts
2,958 battles

My guess from seeing Duca, they are fast, maneuverable, and have decently okay guns. Don't expect armor to save you though. You won't have overpens to save you now.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles
10 minutes ago, Zionas said:

Fast Pensacolas with torps

Banned
292 posts
44 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I want to see them also but...

The Duza and Aburuzzi seem to be GARBAGE and those are the premiums... so... idk how they aren't going to suck which is unfortunate.

Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,021 posts
274 battles
55 minutes ago, Zionas said:

Last I heard was Sub_Octavian (Or was it Pigeon? I don't remember.) saying in a Q&A was Italian cruisers was planned for Q4 of 2018.

As for Italian guns, I'd say expect Russian guns with even higher Muzzle velocity. Durability? Well, I'd say to expect armor like Konigsberg and Nurnberg, though the Italians will have some pretty good speed in comparison. Once you get to Zara you then have some pretty strong armor for a cruiser.

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

I hope Zara is Tier 7 instead of Tier 8, because I don't adapt (as of now) to high-tier game play very well. If the Italian CAs have hard-hitting, high-velocity guns like the US treaty cruisers then I am satisfied. How will their armor be compared to Pepsicola, NOLA etc? Compared to IJN and Soviet and French cruisers? 

Edited by Zionas

[-VT3-]
Members
1,842 posts
3,584 battles

If the Duca and Abruzzi are anything to go by, they're going to be fast, but with no armor to speak of, short range, unreliable AP, low-damage, low-fire HE, and low gun counts, leading to abysmal DPM.

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,438 posts
6,616 battles

They'll probably all have garbage HE...

Beta Testers
1,713 posts
3,833 battles

I hope to see them as well kinda surprised that we didn't see those Russian battleships yet since Kronsadt is becoming a tier 9 cruiser and not a tier 8 battleship something must have been worked out.The most insteresfing part is that October Revoltion was the last class to have combat service. Then they're the paper designs we will have to see what happens. Go Zara

1,021 posts
274 battles
2 hours ago, Zionas said:

I hope Zara is Tier 7 instead of Tier 8, because I don't adapt (as of now) to high-tier game play very well. If the Italian CAs have hard-hitting, high-velocity guns like the US treaty cruisers then I am satisfied. How will their armor be compared to Pepsicola, NOLA etc? Compared to IJN and Soviet and French cruisers? 

HE may not be their strength, but perhaps they could get the 1/4 rule for HE pen. AP will likely be the strong point, may not hit as hard as US SHS, but the shells will be far easier to lead due to the high Muzzle velocity and perhaps could get better normalization to represent the greater focus on AP. As for armor, like I said earlier, up to Trento you'll have around Konigsberg and Nurnberg level of armor, once you get to Zara though you have much stronger armor, 150mm belt for Zara vs 70mm belt for Trento for example.

As it is with the current cruiser branches, I imagine Zara could possibly end up at tier VII, which could likely lead to tier VIII to X being:

Tier VIII: What-if Zara successor with 3x3 203mm

tier IX: 16,000 tons Ansaldo CA project for Spain3x3 203mm version

tier X: 22,000 tons Ansaldo CA project for USSR, 3x3 250mm

[WOLFB]
Members
2,622 posts
10,641 battles

I don't really know about Italian cruiser but I think we might see them coming this year. US split will probably come first, then I suppose T9-10 alternative IJN DD and finally a cruiser line so my guess is Italian line. 

Oh yeah I forgot to mention something. Remember when RN CA only had AP and Warspite was a thing , some of use were making suposition like it could be a heavy AP focus and so on. Well WG decided something else, they decided really strong HE. 

I don't think  making guess based on premium is a viable option, especially since RN BB addition 

Edited by AlcatrazNC

1,021 posts
274 battles
17 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I don't really know about Italian cruiser but I think we might see them coming this year. US split will probably come first, then I suppose T9-10 alternative IJN DD and finally a cruiser line so my guess is Italian line. 

Right now based on stuff said in announcements, Q&A's, and things people have snooped and found in the client I'd say this is what I'm expecting:

USN Cruiser split, this is obvious, perhaps the second tier IX and X IJN DD's some time after

USSR BB line in the summer for gamescom, someone recently found stats for Russian 356mm, 406mm from WWI and WWII, and 457mm guns, and seeing how the line had been confirmed pushed back twice, first in 2016 then in 2017, I'm willing to bet they are the next big line

Fall....er, maybe a DD line? Really don't think much has been said for what'll come in fall

Winter is Italian CA, was said in a Q&A that that was when they intend to release them

[WOLFB]
Members
2,622 posts
10,641 battles
1 minute ago, Panzer20000 said:

Right now based on stuff said in Q&A's and things people have snooped and found in the client I'd say this is what we'll expect:

USN Cruiser split, this is obvious, perhaps the second tier IX and X IJN DD's some time after

USSR BB line in the summer for gamescom, someone recently found stats for Russian 356mm, 406mm from WWI and WWII, and 457mm guns, and seeing how the line had been confirmed pushed back twice, first in 2016 then in 2017, I'm willing to bet they are the next big line

Fall....er, maybe a DD line? Really don't think much has been said for what'll come in fall

Winter is Italian CA, was said in a Q&A that that was when they intend to release them

Personally I think Italian CA line might come "soon" since we had French BB introduction, Pan Asia DD, soon US split and more DD. It would just make sense to add a new cruiser line to "balance" their release. 

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,021 posts
4,848 battles
2 hours ago, yashma said:

They'll probably all have garbage HE...

I think I've started less than 20 fires in my Duca over a hundred of so games. 

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

Though the Italian heavy cruisers might get 1/4 instead of 1/6 HE pen, I feel that a weak fire chance would still hamper the HE's effectiveness because HE is all about setting those fires. As for the AP, if the performance is anything like the SHS shells of the USN CAs then I'd be satisfied. The Pensacola, as trash as it is in terms of durability, has really good guns.

Members
835 posts
10,704 battles

Good question.  At first I thought they might be the opposite of the French Cruisers, speed wise.  Where as the French need a Speed Booster to get up there, the Italians base speed is just very fast.  But then they had weak armor and were kind of long so I thought, "Oh alright, just play it like a Russian Cruiser".  But then they had weak HE which I think is historical believe it or not, but great AP.  So I was conflicted as to what this line is gonna be.  Seeing as most of their Cruisers where Dual Turrets my next thought was OK so how about just very fast German ships?  Heavy hitting AP like the Germans, sacrificing armor for speed, yet keeps their distance like the Russian Cruisers.  Their extremely long range torpedo however is a real head scratcher for me really.  I need an expert here to tell me if their torpedoes historically were great or not.  Then again, we need another line with different range:

USN: 0km

VMF: 4km

KM: 6km

MN: 9.2km

IJN: 10km

RM: 12 km?

Over on Reddit yesterday I suggested a consumable gimmick for the Italian Cruisers, dealing with planes: 

I have heard from someone on this forum mention the Italian Cruisers were much stronger than suggested in this game.

Members
498 posts
1,119 battles

I hope that too.

As Russian cruisers where really derivatives from actual italian ships (specially Kirov/Budyonny) and seeing the D`Aosta I understand they should ve like a Russian CA line with better manouverability and speed, long range torps but less damaging ammo in the same flat, fast guns.

[ICOP]
Members
1,067 posts
3,878 battles

They will have the look and speed of a Ferrari and with everything else remaining coming from Fiat.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

With se use d'Aosta and Abruzzi as a reference, italian cruisers will have high speed and agility, poor armor (at least the CLs), poor HE but great AP, with good velocity, long range "water mines", good concealment and maybe double consumables (hydro and DF). 

They are great ships for small and fast skirmishes/ambushes, hit and run tactics. Mainly agaisnt DDs and other cruisers.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles
On 4/25/2018 at 10:54 PM, Zionas said:

Armor is Pensacola class, read not good except for Zara.  Ultra high-velocity guns though.  If they can dance as well as Pensacola and Duca d'Aosta can, the heavies will be a lot of fun.  You can't look at the d'Aosta and Abruzzi and think that the Italian ships will suck.  The CAs will be packing 203mm guns, and that changes things a lot.  Her HE pen will be much better out of the box due to 203mm guns.  AP is going to be very flat and fast; she'll be dropping hammers on any cruiser who gets sideways on her.

I am very much looking forward to those ships.

Sign in to follow this