You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Halonut24

Prinz Eugen now or Enterprise later?

31 comments in this topic

[WOSV]
Members
584 posts
2,988 battles

So I've got a bit of a dilemma. I seriously want to get Enterprise when she comes out again (which is who knows when, but still). But, Prinz Eugen is being sold now when she hasn't in awhile, and she is the one out of the 3 specials for sale I'll be likely to get. But would it be worth it to get Prinz at this point, or should I save my $40 for the Big E?

What are the pro's and con's of Eugen? Is she worth getting at all? I don't have many German Cruisers, so it wouldn't be redundant like getting another Hipper or anything.

[YETI]
Members
120 posts
6,214 battles

Prinz now has a heal, so now it’s definately something to consider.  The only other T8 (outside of RN ships) is the Atago.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,307 posts
7,346 battles
1 minute ago, temp1ar said:

Prinz now has a heal, so now it’s definately something to consider.  The only other T8 (outside of RN ships) is the Atago.

Don't forget about the Kidd, she's got damage repair party too!

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier." - Colin Powell, US Army

dark.png

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,657 posts
11,722 battles

I don't understand why anyone would buy a T8 cruiser when - to me - T8 matchmaking is so utterly miserable.

I don't understand why anyone would buy a premium carrier when some kind of rework may trash it/make your skills irrelevant/make you relearn it when (if) WG do actually roll out something in from SoonTM to ~1 year from now.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[DRACS]
Members
4,443 posts

Honestly, while Enterprise is performing very well now, we don't know how she will look like after the rework. I'd wait on purchasing CV premiums for now. Also, Enterprise is one of the more skill heavy carriers in the game and really only meant for very experienced carrier drivers? Do you consider yourself one?

[WOSV]
Members
584 posts
2,988 battles
1 minute ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Honestly, while Enterprise is performing very well now, we don't know how she will look like after the rework. I'd wait on purchasing CV premiums for now. Also, Enterprise is one of the more skill heavy carriers in the game and really only meant for very experienced carrier drivers? Do you consider yourself one?

No, I do not. I'd really be buying it for novelty and try out a couple of Co-op battles. I dunno. Maybe it will spark an interest in further pursuing Carriers? Who knows.

[SPTR]
Members
3,590 posts
6,518 battles

Prinz Eugen is a fun ship to play, but I wouldn't consider her competitive.

Her guns are her greatest weakness and her greatest strength. If you spam HE like other cruisers, you are gonna have bad games. If you spam AP like British and US cruisers, you are gonna get endless bounces and shatters. She shouldn't be firing all the time and be the centre of the attention, Prinz is an assassin with a poisoned arrow. True, it is difficult to crack the armor of heavily armored knights, but when they expose their board sides, you will most certainly make them pay dearly.

She can be pretty frustrating at times when you can't get into a good flanking position, but her HE do have good penetration and decent consistency. She isn't exactly tanky, but with the heal you can soak up quite a bit of HE and fire damage in a cruiser duel. But whenever stars align, and RNGesus smiles upon you, Prinz Eugen is irreplaceable in certain situations.

Just don't take her into ranked thou :fish_viking:

(another thing, marksmanship is also very important on the Prinz Eugen. Opportunities to use your devastating AP are very rare, it would be a great shame for you to miss shots after you went with all the trouble with positioning and concealment to flank the enemy. Prinz Eugen's shells flies pretty flat and comfortably fast, so it shouldn't be too difficult)

Edited by The_first_harbinger
  • Cool 3

[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,249 battles
14 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Her guns are her greatest weakness and her greatest strength. If you spam HE like other cruisers, you are gonna have bad games. If you spam AP like British and US cruisers, you are gonna get endless bounces and shatters. She shouldn't be firing all the time and be the centre of the attention, Prinz is an assassin with a poisoned arrow. True, it is difficult to crack the armor of heavily armored knights, but when they expose their board sides, you will most certainly make them pay dearly.

True that her shells are not the best, but at least she has flat gun arcs and pretty good main battery range as compared to other tier VIII cruisers...

[-VT3-]
Members
1,843 posts
3,584 battles
22 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

While my carrier experience is admittedly limited to low tier line ships and a few premiums, I have to say that I find Enterprise to be far more forgiving than some other carriers.  It has a cavernous fighter bay, and provided you don't absolutely throw your planes away, you can generally get away with a mistake here or there.  In comparison, something like the Saipan is extremely powerful, but also mercilessly unforgiving of mistakes.

[FGNE]
Members
614 posts
3,175 battles

I personally want Graf Zep, but with the CV rework (what we know so far at least), I’m not sure about investing in a CV (and an expensive one).

Perhaps PE is the safest bet.

Edited by CO_Valle

[PVE]
Members
709 posts
5,779 battles
3 hours ago, mofton said:

I don't understand why anyone would buy a T8 cruiser when - to me - T8 matchmaking is so utterly miserable.

I don't understand why anyone would buy a premium carrier when some kind of rework may trash it/make your skills irrelevant/make you relearn it when (if) WG do actually roll out something in from SoonTM to ~1 year from now.

There is this. CV playstyle will change drastically in the future so I would hold off until afterwards to see if you still enjoy them. I thought the Hipper was very underwhelming and PE simply adds a heal to it. I guess I would wait for Enterprise, until after the CV rework.

[NVRDY]
Members
142 posts
10,668 battles

I have the prinz and it' fun but it has a couple things that make it tough to uptier... Speed and stealth... Its not fast enough to escape and not stealthy enough to ninja vanish either. It has good AP and can bow tank upto 380 mm incoming shells with its 27 mm bow... If you like New Orleans or Hipper its good.... But so you know New Orleans, Hipper, and Prinz Eugen have the lowest win rates globally...they all depend on AP not DOT damage

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,441 posts
5,491 battles

WG said they were working on the CV overhaul in one of the recent videos. With that in mind I wouldn't consider Enterprise until we know what happens to carriers in future.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
1,703 posts
9,111 battles

1. No one knows when the Big CV Rework is going hit the streets. It probably won't be soon. You probably have plenty of time to enjoy any carriers you already own, in their current state. But, how long you can enjoy the Enterprise hinges on when they sell it again.

2. Ranked battles start in two days. T8 ranked  = no uptiering for the Prinz Eugen in ranked. Probably more uptiering in randoms than normal, while ranked battles are going on. Lots of folks are of the opinion that the PE won't do well in ranked. We'll know soon if they're right.

You have a 52% winrate in the Pensacola, so it would appear you can handle yourself well in a worse ship than the PE. After the beating you've been taking in the New Orleans, the PE will seem like a day that the beach for you.

[-GPF-]
Members
768 posts
4,121 battles

I have both the Enterprise and Eugen.

My recommendation is go with Eugen. She's a great ship, especially now with the heal.

I have the Enterprise simply because she's the Enterprise, and enjoy CURRENT CV gameplay. But with the re-work coming, you should definately wait. (I have a feeling she will come back after the re-work) 

If you like cruisers, Eugens a good one. 

-Orrin

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
6 hours ago, Halonut24 said:

So I've got a bit of a dilemma. I seriously want to get Enterprise when she comes out again (which is who knows when, but still). But, Prinz Eugen is being sold now when she hasn't in awhile, and she is the one out of the 3 specials for sale I'll be likely to get. But would it be worth it to get Prinz at this point, or should I save my $40 for the Big E?

What are the pro's and con's of Eugen? Is she worth getting at all? I don't have many German Cruisers, so it wouldn't be redundant like getting another Hipper or anything.

For me it would be Prinz Eugen, but I a cruiser main. 

• Cool 1

[SPFLT]
[SPFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
18 posts
2,408 battles

Just got the PE and have had fun with him, my tip is remember you're a battle cruiser not the tirpitz. I have found it excellent at hunting CEs and DDs, BUT AVOID plunging fire.  BB's are your bane but I torped two that charged me in the end of a game this past weekend.  A good trainer if you know what you are doing.  LWM says good bote and that was before the heal.  I like it...VO

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,515 posts
6,190 battles
16 hours ago, Halonut24 said:

Prinz Eugen!  Now that heal has been added, she's awesome!

• Cool 1

[F1RE]
[F1RE]
Beta Testers
679 posts
16,117 battles

Just ran a battle in my Prinz Eugen - so nice to have the heal.  It was a tier 10 battle and towards the end, fought a Moskva one on one.  Fortunately, I won the duel by putting three torps into her.  Not a great battle but without the heal, I would have been dead to the Moskva as I took 59k in damage.  The PE is now viable in high tier battles!  YEA - well done WG and thanks.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,800 posts
18,210 battles

Prinz Eugen with the upcoming Repair Party addition will certainly improve.  But let's not kid ourselves.  She'll still be a Tier VIII Cruiser and Tier VIII Cruisers don't exactly scale well to Tier IX-X matches.  Except for Kutuzov.

That upcoming Repair Party isn't going to save Prinz when she's eating accurate BB gunfire from Iowa, Missouri, Montana, Yamato, Musashi, etc.The 27mm bow doesn't hold up against the 406mm+ BB shells, which there are plenty of in VIII-X matches.  She definitely will not keep up with the Tier X Cruisers she will face.

Why am I judging her against Tier IX-X ships?  Unfair isn't it?  Because in reality that's what she really faces.  Sure, it's hilarious taking Prinz Eugen, Admiral Hipper and charge them straight into a New Mexico, Arizona, Warspite, and totally bounce all their shells and torp the sh*t out of them.  But it's a big reality she's looking at ships like Missouri, Montana, Yamato, Hindenburg, etc just as well.

Tier VIII Cruisers IMO are one of the worst possible places to be in this game.  The only VIII Cruiser that really excels in the VIII-X match is Kutuzov with her standoff range and smoke.  Even Charles Martel gets ganked by the superior, ACCURATE gunfire from IX-X ships.  The Battleships are accurate, powerful.  Even worse, the X Cruisers totally outstrip them.  The well loved Charles Martel gets whacked hard in a X match.  The things it tries to get away with from being in a VI-VIII match doesn't work because ships like Hindenburg will overpower her.  Prinz will still suffer the same problem, but she will last a tad bit longer with the Repair Party.  Meanwhile, Kutuzov smokes up and stays at range in a X match.  Doing as she's always done and excelling.

Enterprise, despite some early naysay when she came out, which included a lot of voices like mine, has held up amazingly well.  She leads all Tier VIII ships in WR%.  She has a very commanding presence among Tier VIII Carriers.  Her AP bombs farm salty tears from German BBs, her endless fighter reserves make her compete very well in the skies.  She was the best performing Tier VIII ship in her tier for Ranked.  She does have one weakness, and that's dealing with a bunch of Tier X matches.  I'll tell you know from my time with Lexington, dealing with Tier X AA isn't a pleasant thing, but it's a common problem for VIII CVs and not just Enterprise alone.  Outside that, if you do play CVs quite a bit, Enterprise is a solid buy.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,515 posts
6,190 battles

I've played about 10-12 games with Prinz Eugen over the last 2 days since the patch went in.  She is exactly the cruiser I've always been looking for and my stats are already starting to climb with her.

I find that she actually uptiers quite well.  The reason being that even though she's tough for a cruiser, even against upper tier cruisers.  She's still a cruiser.

It doesn't matter what tier you're at.  If you're getting targeted by a Tier VIII 16" gun or a Tier X 18" gun the result is the same.  If those shells land, you're screwed either way.  You need to play in a way that makes sure the enemy always has something better to shoot at.  If you're trying to bow-tank battleships, you're toast, regardless of tier.

Only in the endgame can you really start to shine for your tankiness.  But the rule remains. . . do NOT get hit by battleship shells.  No matter what tier you're at.  In that way, she uptiers well because nothing is any different really.  LOL

Meanwhile, I can usually count on her to win any stand-up fight against another cruiser.  I haven't gone 1-1 vs. a Hindenburg yet. . . I expect that would be very tough.  But otherwise, you can usually do ok, even against top tier cruisers. . . because they are normally either depleted already. . . or distracted by some battleship shooting at them, whereas you (should) still be near fresh by the time it comes for a heads-up brawl with other cruisers.

Between Hydro, your fighter plane, torps, and heal, you've got a lot of tools to face just about any threat.  The key seems to be learning how to use them all at the right time.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,800 posts
18,210 battles
16 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

It doesn't matter what tier you're at.  If you're getting targeted by a Tier VIII 16" gun or a Tier X 18" gun the result is the same.  If those shells land, you're screwed either way.  You need to play in a way that makes sure the enemy always has something better to shoot at.  If you're trying to bow-tank battleships, you're toast, regardless of tier.

Admiral Hipper and Prinz Eugen are the only Tier VIII Cruisers with a 27mm bow, until Baltimore comes down to Tier VIII.

That 27mm bow will let them face tank 380mm or smaller shells.  In the right scenario this advantage for the VIII German Cruisers can be leveraged to great success, as you can tank, charge, and drop those many torpedoes into some BB.  With French BBs being en vogue ATM, 380mm guns are pretty common.  If Hipper & Eugen are top tier and handling piddly 356mm armed BBs, it gets comedic.

Naturally, 406mm+ guns, which start showing up in some lines in Tier VII, are a big, "No bueno" for 27mm bow Cruisers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,919 battles

I bought it in the combo pack, because essentially the PE was almost free, and i wanted the other 2 ships, and the capts...

So far, she is worth the price i paid. ($10ish?)

The CVs are about to change, so i would very possibly wait to see what that looks like before dropping money on it.

Members
918 posts
9,455 battles

I got my Prinz in a crate, always wanted one and I love it.  It was always a bit lacking and I longed for the heal - so now I'm way happy with it.  T8 Cruisers are a challenge, but most cruisers are anyway.  Make it happen cap'n - the Prinz is real now.  I bought Atago and Kutuzov, really like all three almost equally now.  I use my GK Captain with a tank build, they overlap surprisingly well.