Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aiser50

A piece of SERIOUS ADVICE to DD players.

40 comments in this topic

[AR]
[AR]
Members
356 posts
14,535 battles

Just lost a game where a Shima decided to launch all his 15 torps on a z-46 from around 2km away when it had 1k hp. A bb came around the cornered and finish it off.

This is a mistake I have seen over and over and over again so many times. If you are that close dd vs dd against one with such low hp, THERE IS NO NEED to launch torps in that situations what so ever. In fact, you risk of taking that DD down with you in the process.

The time it takes to to launch and lands those torps is worth about 2-4 gun barrages.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,804 posts
7,044 battles
2 minutes ago, Aiser50 said:

THERE IS NO NEED

Perhaps they were doing a mission/task of some sort that required torpedo hits.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,167 posts
9,560 battles

Low on Health? Was going to use guns after but that BB was loaded and took the shot?   Neat fact, you can launch torps and still use guns.  So much missing information on this fight to make an accurate assessment.

• Cool 2

[SIM]
Members
3,595 posts
5,723 battles

Some DDs have amazing torpedoes and crap for guns, so in that situation the player may simply have reached for their best weapon. Yes, the assistance of other ships may make that a moot point, but you can’t always count on support from your allies in this (or any) game. 

I’m not saying that you’re completely wrong, but the guy in the Shima wasn’t acting foolishly either. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
851 posts
7,995 battles
5 minutes ago, Aiser50 said:

A bb came around the cornered and finish it off.

Finished the Shima or the Z-46?

I can agree with the posters, there is no need. However, I have been in enough DD fights to know that no one can know everything about the decision to launch torps.  If the battle were progressing well, the torps may be the Shima players comfort. If the BB is a red, wasting the torps on a low-health dd is, usually, a tactical error.  

If the battle is well in hand, sometimes it pays to get experience doing something risky when there is not a lot on the line. I sometimes try different things when the game is in hand. 

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles

May have to do with the health of the Shima (or any torp DD).  Sometimes you may want to get your torps in the water before YOU sink. The torps are just the insurance policy that you WILL get him, one way or another. It could also be he was maneuvering like a maniac and he could get his torps locked-on but not the guns (IJN turrets after all). The firing of torps MIGHT cost one gun salvo. The best play may actually be to keep firing but I have had engagements where RNG/damage saturation keeps me from hitting/damaging a low health target which might allow the torps to arrive before I can gun him down.

I have done the "get-the-torps-launched-before-I-die" thing only to realize a bit later.. I'm still alive!!...wish I had some torps loaded.

Edited by Sabot_100

[AR]
[AR]
Members
356 posts
14,535 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Finished the Shima or the Z-46?

I can agree with the posters, there is no need. However, I have been in enough DD fights to know that no one can know everything about the decision to launch torps.  If the battle were progressing well, the torps may be the Shima players comfort. If the BB is a red, wasting the torps on a low-health dd is, usually, a tactical error.  

If the battle is well in hand, sometimes it pays to get experience doing something risky when there is not a lot on the line. I sometimes try different things when the game is in hand. 

A BB finished off the Shima. The Z46 expended its torp on a bb that was around the same distance and within the clear vision of the Shima. The enemy BB popped up from the opposite end of the corner.

[CRMSN]
5,910 posts
4,173 battles

Maybe the Shima's guns could not train fast enough on the 46? 

[ICOP]
Members
1,067 posts
3,878 battles
9 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Some DDs have amazing torpedoes and crap for guns, so in that situation the player may simply have reached for their best weapon. Yes, the assistance of other ships may make that a moot point, but you can’t always count on support from your allies in this (or any) game. 

I’m not saying that you’re completely wrong, but the guy in the Shima wasn’t acting foolishly either. 

Single volley from IJN DD gun's would have sunk the Z-46.  IJN DD maybe slow rotating and low ROF however they hit hard.

[SYN]
Members
851 posts
7,995 battles
1 minute ago, Aiser50 said:

A BB finished off the Shima. The Z46 expended its torp on a bb that was around the same distance and within the clear vision of the Shima. The enemy BB popped up from the opposite end of the corner.

Some sad singing and slow walking for the Shima capt.

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles

I will admit that at 2K, 15 torps is a bit of overkill on wounded DD. Should have saved a launcher.

[TNG]
Members
5,159 posts

You might as well not waste your time trying to communicate a simple concept to someone who's made it to tier 10.

• Funny 2

3,167 posts
9,560 battles

You would be amazed how many times Shim's guns will do jack squat on a German DD at point blank would have left 10 hps left .  We don't know the damage the Z46 took was from HE or AP.  So much information we don't know.   Maybe he thought the BB was coming around the other side of the island and was surprised he came from the other direction, Z46 just popped up.

[DRACS]
Members
4,431 posts

The problem with a lot of IJN DD players is they completely forget that their DDs actually have guns.

Fact of the matter is that while Shimi's guns have a slow reload, they actually hit like trucks. Absolutely no reason for a Shimi to ignore them when shooting low health targets.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
356 posts
14,535 battles

As far as Shima guns are concerned, they actually rotate and fire faster then most other IJN dds of it's time. You can finish an enemy  dd ar 2km away that has 900-1000 hp within 2 salvos. Those Shima guns hit hard and where ever your torp tubes are aiming is also where your main guns are also aiming. =x

[A_51]
Members
68 posts
19,089 battles

This is not a DD thing. I do not know how many times I see a ship about to lose all of it’s hit point due to fire or flooding and some ships, take your choice of classes, fire on it to get the kill. 

• Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,798 battles
50 minutes ago, Aiser50 said:

Just lost a game where a Shima decided to launch all his 15 torps on a z-46 from around 2km away when it had 1k hp. A bb came around the cornered and finish it off.

This is a mistake I have seen over and over and over again so many times. If you are that close dd vs dd against one with such low hp, THERE IS NO NEED to launch torps in that situations what so ever. In fact, you risk of taking that DD down with you in the process.

The time it takes to to launch and lands those torps is worth about 2-4 gun barrages.

Those DDs are the literal worst.

HOWEEEVVVVERRRR, a caveat in this case, Shimakaze being a "lawl IJN DD" has not the turret turn rate. That might also be the reason.

Members
1,127 posts
14,568 battles

The thought that crossed my mind was that even if a couple torps hit there'd be a lot more continuing past there and in those kind of DD knife fights not everyone looks all the way down range before launching. I know I've been guilty of that a few times... one of those bad habits I fight to keep under control..

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,976 posts
10,955 battles

A Shimakaze's Torpedo Launchers turn about 3 times faster than it's guns, and Shima's can't knife fight to save their lives. Dumping the fish and running while the Z-46 is changing underwear is a valid tactic.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,476 posts
10,575 battles

All I have to say is that 15 torps at close range is almost a sure kill.  The Shimi player in the heat of the battle may have not realized his opponent was so low on health...happens!

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
1 hour ago, Aiser50 said:

THERE IS NO NEED to launch torps in that situations what so ever.

I have done this when being surprised by another DD just to make sure I went dark again afterward rather than firing and staying lit.  I wouldn't have launched all three spreads though.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Lost games, because I let teammates finish someone off. Call me a kill stealer, but I will finish anything off that I can, with or without torps.

[WORX]
Members
3,861 posts
14,967 battles
1 hour ago, Aiser50 said:

ust lost a game where a Shima decided to launch all his 15 torps on a z-46 from around 2km away when it had 1k hp. A bb came around the cornered and finish it off

This is like Monday night quarterbacking syndrome, now we have no

• replay
  • print screens

just the condensed version of events from a witness. How many time before has eyewitness accounts been wrong or exaggerated in the heat of battle? LOTS. To get this right

• We have two DDs in a knife fight, one DD has better guns then the SHIMA
  • Red BB supporting the Z-46
  • Shima probably had no support since the "witness" did not mention any.
  • In the heat of battle you accuse the Shima of throwing the game.  I dont think so and here is why I am defending the shima cpt

The mistake I can blame on the shima cpt after the fact in the comfort of my admiral coach is,

• getting in a knife fight with a DD in the first place.

This is when you know he is a dedicated IJN DD driver because of his reliance on torps instead of guns, Even at 1k HP left IJN DD guns would not even do anything to lower that 1k HP down when the Z-46 has BB back up. in fact I would argue that if the Shima used his guns

• The red BB would have blow him out of the water as soon as the shoots were fire since the SHIMA is like a pinata getting shells hits of anger from everyone with a gun.

Now I can conclude the Shima Cpt has bad aim with torps heck yeah. but I also understand why he fired so many. With a less then 9% torp hit ratio for any torp DD, you can still dodge that many torps and live especially at high tiers. For these reason I can;t fault the Shima cpt's decision making in the heat of battle. Based on limited proved information from the "eyewitness", the Shima was good as dead when he entered the DD VS DD situation. Then other points regarding the BB is moot. Cheers!

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,551 posts
20,397 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

But the thing is that if you're facing an enemy DD with only 1k HP left, no DD's guns are that crappy, and certainly not a Shimmy.  Do you want to get into an extended gun fight in a Shimmy vs a healthy enemy gun boat DD?  Probably not.  However, if you see an enemy DD, ANY enemy DD, that's down to 1k health and at short range, there's not a single reason why you can't blow that enemy DD away in a Shimmy.  What makes the Shimmy's guns less than stellar isn't their ability to do damage.  They actually do hit pretty hard.  The Shimmy guns' problem is more about rate of fire and slow traversing turrets, and not an ability to do damage on hits.  So, blowing away any nearly dead enemy DD should never be a problem.

Thus, I do think that the Shimmy made a foolish mistake in that situation.  Now, if that enemy DD had had more like 4-5k or more health, that's a different story.  But at 1k or less health, that DD should have been gunned down in a heartbeat.

[SYN]
Members
851 posts
7,995 battles
18 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

We have two DDs in a knife fight, one DD has better guns then

Why the loss? Was maybe the Shima the last green left.  Kudos in that case. 

Don't ever leave a battle to an IJN to need to gunfight.  I've taken a few of them to battle 

Sign in to follow this