You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

Mermaid's Wrath and Beyond - Future Developments?

Do the thing? (Please read the OP first before voting)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Oui?

• Oui!
    • Non!

10 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,325 posts

message_1_by_chobittsu_studios-dc9ti0g.p

Bonjour~! Most of you know me by now. The few that don't, here's the brief; I'm Chobittsu, I make a mod, and soup, but mostly mod.

I've pulled you aside cause I wanna talk about something that's been on my mind and doesn't really fit on another section of the forums, and that is where to go from here. Now that Mermaid's Wrath v2.0 is out the only real updates I can make to it are general housekeeping and keeping it up to date with new features (like new PvE Ops, or that time they added voiced warnings about the weather). I feel like this could lead to stagnation and a lack of shiny things to draw people in. So I've been pondering with other mod dev @Aessaya about ways we could keep our momentum going. The biggest possibility; Multiple Languages. All of them, every faction you see ingame, every linguistic option you see available

As much as I'd love for us to do something like the "National" setting for ingame voices, that may be beyond our abilities at this time. But we could still do individual language packs. However, this would be a huge undertaking and would need to have a few requirements met. Firstly, funding. Mermaid's Wrath as it exists now was made entirely on cash out of my own pocket. And I won't lie, I'm a low-income person, and while moving from versions 1.6 to 2.0 I was down to rationing ramen and tap water. So, for the sake of such an ambitious goal (and my own dietary and financial safety), this would have to all be done on crowd funding and donations, likely through a Patreon

I didn't actually keep track of how much I spent making the mod, I really should have... but I can ballpark it above $1000 USD over the whole development (since last summer). I hate asking for help, and technically I'm not yet at this time, right now I only want to hear your opinions on whether this would be a successful route to go. I don't want people waiting a whole year for a new nation, as that would take years for us to reach our goal.

There's also another level of complexity that would be needed; Translators. Aessaya may be fluent in Russian, but we'd still need German, French, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, etc. etc. In addition to the new VAs that are fluent in each language...  yeah, we'd need enough VAs to rival the character-count of an MMO... Ballparking it again, we have 10 VAs currently, with over a dozen planned languages, that would put us in triple digits...
BUT! Given the overall popularity of the existing mod, and the level of professional polish we've managed to put on it, we might be able to attract enough attention from our target communities in the EU, RU and SEA servers to get this funded to the point where we can actually deliver. But, again, this is a MASSIVE undertaking, and I'll only be taking a crack at it if the community thinks it's worth a shot... At minimum, we'd need to reach $250-300 a month in order to produce this at a reasonable rate (and that's still not nearly as much progress per month as I would like), anything under that and we run the risk of taking too much time and ending up like Star Citizen with a big "Soon™" plastered on the title, and I refuse to do that. This is something that will either get done, or not at all. And I'm not even going to start without the full support of the community that I'm serving.

So, in summation; I wanna do a thing, it's a big thing, a thing that all the other WoWS communities might be in on, but it would cost big to the point that I alone can't support it and have to make it crowd-funded.
Do we dare dream big and reach for the stars? Or burn our fingers on an over-cooked hotpocket and just maintain the mod as is, serving only English-speaking customers?

If by the 1st of the month I get enough upvotes here, then May will be spent setting everything up. But if by the end of May we don't meet a reasonable goal, this project will be scrapped to prevent anyone losing funds on a dead-end.
If by some miracle we do get everything set up with enough funding to start on hiring actresses and branching into Russian first, followed by perhaps Chinese (this would cover the two biggest playerbases), then continue on with each faction ingame and other misc languages that WoWS supports. Here's a rough draft of such a business-plan, just multiply this by however many languages there are in the game
businessplan_by_chobittsu_studios-dc9ubm

If we manage to really gain enough following, we might look to stretch-goals, maybe merch or something. Depends on how much freedom the WG devs let us have with this. But the main goal is more languages

• Cool 2

[IXM]
Members
216 posts
5,034 battles

I have been summoned!

Well, whatever will be decided I'll be there to help with things.

• Cool 1

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
571 posts
3,384 battles

I use your voice mod and love it. Unfortunately, I'm a post pubescent male and have no hope of making my voice high enough. De plus, mon français est mauvais.
Looks like all I have left is money....
Who needs the Harekaze anyway?

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,325 posts
1 minute ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

You need to add a third choice for those that care not either way... a forth if you'd care to appease the bacon crowd.

This is a straight yes or no question that I need a concise answer on

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles
10 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

You need to add a third choice for those that care not either way... a forth if you'd care to appease the bacon crowd.

Its a yes or no question, how hard is it just to select no?

If people dont care just select no.

Edited by Submarine_Albacore

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
17 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Bonjour~! Most of you know me by now. The few that don't, here's the brief; I'm Chobittsu, I make a mod, and soup, but mostly mod.

16 hours ago, Aessaya said:

I have been summoned!

Well, whatever will be decided I'll be there to help with things.

Well my answer was yes, I love this Mod and use it all the time. It has actually made my game more enjoyable.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,171 posts
4,934 battles

I love this idea and would be more than happy to contribute, even if I can't give a whole lot because [edited] corporate America in the back of a Volkswagen. But I'm a big fan of Mermaid's Wrath and it would be amazing to see national voice packs for it. Put me down for "Oui"!

Beta Testers
3 posts
3,800 battles

I also love your work and would be happy to contribute! I don't, however, see any way for a non-rich-person to contribute (Can't afford to be a patron, sorry), but I would like to kick some bucks your way to say thanks for the excellent work, and to keep you all going! DO you all have a PayPal link or something thats not a patron thing?

[WOLF9]
Members
8,936 posts
4,184 battles

For the sake of marketing, what would you say is the biggest benefit from / reason to use MW? 

What can you offer Patreon subscribers that they can't get elsewhere for free?

Answers to these should help your endeavor (for which I vote Oui) considerably.