You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Ranked season, an Encouragement!

31 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,594 posts
13,758 battles

JUST DO IT!  Ignore the negative nancy's that never ever have anything good to say.    Just do it because your doing it for you.  Not them.

Ranked season is to be upon us.  It's tier VIII to rank 10, then tier X's to rank 1.. Hit rank 1 and you get to go play with tier VII's.  It's gonna be messy!  Messy is good, messy creates opportunity!

If you've a tier VIII, play it.  It doesn't matter if your good, or bad, or it's a great ship... or a not so great ship...  Do it anyway.   The CC's have their shows and posts and sites, and video's and talk, and show  "What best for..?" at rank VIII  Same same for rank X play.   I haven't heard them dive in to the fun to be had in post rank 1 play with all the amazing huge variety of tier VII ships available.  Or any information on the types of goodies to be earned there  *shakes finder pointedly*. 

Go with what you got.

On a side note to shimmy players.  The nerfing of torpedo detectabilty from the air will help, as will the reduction in the shimmy's surface detection range but it's still an itty bitty tiny weenie help.  It is noticeable, but don't go revising your play style because of it or you will get spanked.  Painfully, and often.  There's still radar, hydro, and sometimes air as it's ranked not clan wars and murphy's law will rule!

The  CC's, the expert players are often right what ship have the best potential utility and performance, but if you don't have that ship, or those ships it's a moot point come match time.  Don't be discouraged by it.  And always be aware there will always be the kid making sure YOU know they have cooler toys then you do!   Make a point of proving to them that your toys can still kick the stuffing out of their toys if their not as good as they think they are!   When the season starts your going to have to go with what you got, not what you wish you had, or someone else says you should have.   So roll with it, and go as far as you can,  And don't give up.. Keep plugging all the way to the season end.   Bring a fresh water rinse.. the salt spray can be fierce!.  What ever rank your at by season end you will have learned.   If you make it to rank 1 in the first week or make it on the very last day last fight of the season is immaterial.  

When you play World of Warships your playing YOUR game.. the dev team created it, but you made it yours, just as I made it mine..  My "GoTo" my game of choice.. the one I play before I play anything else because there's just something about it.  The care and love in its crafting.  The attitudes, communication, honesty, and love of a GOOD game the devs, and wargaming intermediaries between the studio team, and us constantly show.  They all bring something to it, and constantly show they care.   Oh and, did I mention it's really pretty, and getting more so?  So let us show the appreciation and PLAY.

If your good or your bad PLAY ranked.  Because by the end of the ranked season you'll have a good measure of who you are, and how good you can be.  There will be games where you are a god of battle and nothing can stand before you (we all love those).  And there will be battles when your just going to get slapped hard for no gain. (even the very best have this happen... very democratic game!)   In ranked play there are less ships and the format is less forgiving of errors in play.  Take advantage of this!   It easier to pick those errors out and see them clearly in the smaller team format and learn from them.  You'll know what you need to work on by the end of the season too.   

Oh and just as a little additional encouragement, something the Community Contributors keep NOT mentioning....  Yes there are  bucket loads and then some of signal's, consumables, cammo's, premium time, aven doubloons you can win along the way.    I in my somewhat greedy small voice self kind of wished I had to battle from the bottom and make all those rank all over again if only for some of the spiff things you can win yourself along the way.   The possibility for swag along the way for those of you that have never done ranked, or done poorly previously is not to be ignored!

And remember to mount your ranked battle flags that you unlock as you progress.  They get progressively better and reduce I recall 10%, 15% and either 20 or 25% for the last one off your ship fixed maintenance per match.. which at tier X with the 3 star flag is putting 20 to 30 thousand silver back in your pocket!  Those flags work in random battle too so there is another reason to do ranked.

Go DO Ranked.  In spite of what some "people" may say the more people that do ranked, the better that ranked play is.   If you make rank 1 the first week or the last day it's still rank 1.  Staying power counts! 

TL_Warlord_Roff sends

• Cool 9

Members
1,195 posts

no point in playing ranked or clan battles until they make the playing field level and force vanilla mode only.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[WAG]
Beta Testers
733 posts
6,117 battles
15 minutes ago, b101uk said:

no point in playing ranked or clan battles until they make the playing field level and force vanilla mode only.

what?

[WOLF7]
Members
11,571 posts

Ranked appeals to less than 1% of the player base...that isn't likely to change.....

And only about 1/10th of a percent of the players actually grind to rank 1....:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin

[ARRGG]
Members
145 posts
4,780 battles

I think of it this way- at the worst it is a good way to level up your tier 8 ships without having to worry about matchmaking putting you into a tier 9 or 10 match.  Plus the rank 15 and 10 flags are a nice bonus...  plus improved game play...

If the chat is toxic, you might want to run Aslain's modpack, they have a mod that will hide in-game chat.  Solved.  Of course, once you get up in ranks you may want to actually strategize with your teammates, but I rarely see anything important except what caps are going to be focused.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,270 posts
16,865 battles

Yep don't run your ships based off what any CC recommends - build them the way YOU play and play the ships YOU enjoy the most.  Otherwise Ranked will drive you bonkers (it still might but at least you're playing it YOUR way).

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

I've finished a few, but never could stomach" going the distance" again.

Not even a free ship has swayed me.

This will be my first season (other than at the beginning of ranked) starting from highest.

I'm gonna give it a shot, but I'll prolly get burnt out around 8/10.

• Cool 1

[TNG]
Members
5,159 posts

Maybe I'm the only one again, but this is insane and embarrassing. Who are you even talking to? Next to nobody is not playing ranked because someone else told them not to. It's much more of people not enjoying the grind, format or tier, they aren't competitive, or they don't want to deal with the trash talking that comes with it. Some would even feel bad playing because they don't think their skill is up to par.

You want to know why you tubers don't mention the broad rewards available? ITS BECAUSE WARGAMING ALREADY DOES. And it's also displayed in the game client. Know what isn't displayed? What ships are good to choose, and how the meta plays out. Shock, that's what they discuss. 

Make a YouTube channel and simply talk about the info you think is so important, you wouldn't want to give away such a high energy content video idea away after all. 

• Cool 2

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

WG could look into a ranked format where players don't have to beg and plead for others to participate.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,166 posts
9,555 battles

I'm going to love it in my shim and now the shorties are a more viable option now too.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,699 posts

I don't think my skills are up to par but I have my Z23 and Harekaze and Akizuki ready. I'm game to spot for the team, how bad can I be?

Members
2,150 posts
5,855 battles

Well, if your not in a clan that can participate in Clan Wars or not in a clan at all, Ranked is really the only "competitive" option available to you.  Sure, you can grind all you want but if you're not competent, you're not getting to Rank 15, if you're not good, you're not getting to 10, if you're not really good then 5 and above are probably out of your reach.  

You can complain about it all you want, but when compared to Random, almost everything is better.  You are actually likely to end up with a bunch of players who are willing to work as a team, the intensity ratchets up and the level of play improves as you move forward.  

Sure, you can say that Clan Wars and Supremacy League or better and you may be right.  That doesn't mean that Ranked isn't competitive and a lot of fun.  :Smile_izmena:

[HEROS]
Members
1,594 posts
13,758 battles
18 hours ago, Pulicat said:

Maybe I'm the only one again, but this is insane and embarrassing. Who are you even talking to? Next to nobody is not playing ranked because someone else told them not to. It's much more of people not enjoying the grind, format or tier, they aren't competitive, or they don't want to deal with the trash talking that comes with it. Some would even feel bad playing because they don't think their skill is up to par.

You want to know why you tubers don't mention the broad rewards available? ITS BECAUSE WARGAMING ALREADY DOES. And it's also displayed in the game client. Know what isn't displayed? What ships are good to choose, and how the meta plays out. Shock, that's what they discuss. 

Make a YouTube channel and simply talk about the info you think is so important, you wouldn't want to give away such a high energy content video idea away after all. 

Them negative vibes Moriarty, Them negative vibes.  Your just gonna bum me out. Ya gonna jinx it with them negative vibes you just watch and see.  Bad things happen to folk that do that.  Now it's a nice day. I am going to work on my tan. You, you should check the vibes at the door.

(a little artisic licence... Oddball from Kelly's Hero's)

• Funny 1

Members
2,440 posts
9,111 battles

Why?  Why would I do ranked, ever?  Okay - I will play a few games to rank 10 for flags, it’s worth the trouble in rewards.  I already have my Jolly Roger.  WG said they plan to sell reward ships for some resource earned in game, but even then - Flint is outclassed by Belfast, and Black is no longer the only radar DD.  Why invest the time for no additional reward?

[ARGSY]
Members
10,722 posts
7,023 battles

I'm going in for it because playing in Ranked means never having to be bottom tier in my Edinburgh. And because I've never done it before, and there's useful stuff to be won along the way.

I'll have to quit at Rank 10, of course, but I can live with that.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,364 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm going in for it because playing in Ranked means never having to be bottom tier in my Edinburgh. And because I've never done it before, and there's useful stuff to be won along the way.

I'll have to quit at Rank 10, of course, but I can live with that.

It' is good fun and many flags and other goodies, too be had. Tier 10 has been my cut off point for 2 ranked season's.It does get mentally tiring 
and rage inducing at times. You get both the good and the bad,  in even dose's :cap_haloween: Best of luck to ya. 

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
18 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

I don't think my skills are up to par but I have my Z23 and Harekaze and Akizuki ready. I'm game to spot for the team, how bad can I be?

Whats the worst that can happen? You die lol

But you might be better than you think. Suddenly you have advanced a couple of ranks and there are flags and stuff.

All I am going to do it take a Tier 8 I like to drive and see what happens.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,364 battles
3 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Whats the worst that can happen? You die lol

But you might be better than you think. Suddenly you have advanced a couple of ranks and there are flags and stuff.

All I am going to do it take a Tier 8 I like to drive and see what happens.

As long as you all work as a team, Skill set is not a game breaker. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,722 posts
7,023 battles
4 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

As long as you all work as a team,

The important thing to remember is that while cap control is still vital, killing enemy ships takes on a new importance. A 12-ship team that loses one can make up the deficit, but it's harder with seven.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,364 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The important thing to remember is that while cap control is still vital, killing enemy ships takes on a new importance. A 12-ship team that loses one can make up the deficit, but it's harder with seven.

Teamwork make the dream work :Smile_honoring:

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,364 battles
2 minutes ago, SweetRollThief said:

No concealment expert harekaze captain has spoken. Again.

:cap_fainting:

Go forth and conquer :Smile_smile: 

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
20 hours ago, Pulicat said:

No, I agree with you mate. The CC supplement the information supplied by WG. I can easily find the basic ranked info on WG website. What I really want to know, from the experts, is what ships are good and why. A lot of times good points are made that I hadn't thought of and it helps me choose better ships and play better.

As for the rest of the OPs statements, sure, bring what you got, but understand this, ranked is meant to be won. If you dont come into ranked wanting to win then shove off. You will get hate / trash talk if you come into ranked and derp around, bring stock ships, etc... If you dont like it, then play randoms or co-op.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
21 hours ago, awiggin said:

Ranked appeals to less than 1% of the player base...that isn't likely to change.....

And only about 1/10th of a percent of the players actually grind to rank 1....:Smile_teethhappy:

Where did you get these Stats? or are you

xwjJDCa.gif

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO