You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

After 7.4 Will Signal Flags Return to the Premium Shop?

27 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts

I used to buy Zulu Hotel and Papa flags in bundles of 100.

Will the 100X bundles return to the shop?

(Yes, I know you will be able to buy them as singles through the client.)

:Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[USCC]
[USCC]
Members
1,878 posts
9,654 battles
3 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I just looked and signals are in the Premium Shop right now.  

I think he means just certain flags like we used to be able to buy, not the mass bundle of everything like what's offered now.

[WAG]
Members
695 posts
9,651 battles
35 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

(Yes, I know you will be able to buy them as singles through the client.)

:Smile-_tongue:

I was hoping as well. I just looked at the NA store website, and only see the 50x, 100x, and 300x bundles of flags. I need some Papa Papa flags myself (have hundreds of the others).

[USCC]
[USCC]
Members
1,878 posts
9,654 battles

Pretty sure we won't see it like it was before. WG has said only bulk lots like it is now, or as a re-supply feature in the game itself for doubloons.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
706 posts
9,270 battles
4 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I just looked and signals are in the Premium Shop right now.  

Not what he's really referring to.  Looks like marketing has decided to only sell the flags in bundles.  I used to buy the PaPa flags myself.  Helped get me the Mo.  Won't be buying any flags now...

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
37 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

I think he means just certain flags like we used to be able to buy, not the mass bundle of everything like what's offered now.

The cable TV industry made the same mistake.

"You just want HBO and AMC? Well you will have to buy the bundle which includes 50 crap channels you will never ever watch for $95/month!"

\

:Smile_great:

I used to be a regular spender on flags until they pulled them from the shop.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,725 posts
15,931 battles
3 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I used to be a regular spender on flags until they pulled them from the shop.

BLASTO! You Mad, Maniacal, Monkey you! How have you been buddy?

I agree with your statement about bundles being expensive for the amount of flags you'll actually use, and all I can say is that greed is what got us the game in the first place, so since we're getting what we want, don't begrudge WoW getting what they want.

Glad to see you're still here! 07 amigo!

[NAB]
Members
416 posts
9,173 battles
50 minutes ago, Viper069 said:

Not what he's really referring to.  Looks like marketing has decided to only sell the flags in bundles.  I used to buy the PaPa flags myself.  Helped get me the Mo.  Won't be buying any flags now...

That's the impact it will have on me too.  I would buy equal speed charley flags and always equip them.  I'll be darned if I buy them all, so the net result, in my case, will be less sales.  

Edited by driedjello

[TDG]
Members
1,649 posts
8,055 battles
26 minutes ago, driedjello said:

That's the impact it will have on me too.  I would buy equal speed charley flags and always equip them.  I'll be darned if I buy them all, so the net result, in my case, will be less sales.  

Sales from you, and those that agree.  For the record, I also would buy bulk sets of individual flags and I miss this option.

However, there will be many players that will just set for resupply and let it ride.

Since I know I will eventually use them, I get the larger bundle which is cheaper than what I was paying for flag supply.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,928 posts
4,184 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Blasto!  Long time no hear.

I think it was in a Dev Blog, but I recall that WG said that the flags were supposed to be removed from the Shop by now, but the planned client change to buy them in-game was fubar, so they put them back in the shop temporarily.  I expect them to go away entirely at some point.

[TDG]
Members
1,649 posts
8,055 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I think it was in a Dev Blog, but I recall that WG said that the flags were supposed to be removed from the Shop by now, but the planned client change to buy them in-game was fubar, so they put them back in the shop temporarily.  I expect them to go away entirely at some point.

The 100x of a single signal have been gone and replaced with a 50x, 100x, and 300x bundle of all 5 economic flags.  With the announcements for this patch, I now understand why they made that change.  Since that change came first (and that we have been able to purchase the flags in the shop for as long as I have been playing), I expect one will continue to be able to buy bundles.

If things change to a situation where the only way is through doubloon resupply in the client, I will likely just stop buying them entirely.  I do not want a steady, automatic, doubloon drain.

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Blasto!  Long time no hear.

Well then, that's the end of my spending on WG.  I may renew my Premium account when it expires in a few months but the flags are out.  

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts

So what's the math?

Before you could get 100X Zulu Hotel for $2.99 US and 100X PapaPapa for $3.99 US.   That's $6.98 for 100X of each flag.

Now you're being forced to pay 6 doubloons for ZH and 8 for PP.

How does it compare to before?

If you choose the Buy Any Amount of Doubloons option in the store for that same $6.98 you'd get 1292 doubloons.

Let's break that 1292 up:

2.99/6.98 = 42.8%  of total cost

3.99/6.98 = 57.2%   of total cost 

42.8% x 1292 = 553 doubloons

57.2 X 1292 = 738 doubloons

So do we still get 100 of each for the same price?

ZH price = 6 doubloons.

PP = 8 doubloons

553/6 = 92 ZH flags

738/8 = 92.25 Pflags

So we are getting 8% less flags.

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts

The new bundles are even worse deals if you just want Zulu Hotel and PapaPapa.  For $16.11 you only get 100 of each plus some flags I'd never pay for.

In contrast, for 2 X $6.98, you'd have 200 of each. Tragically those options have been stripped from us.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,928 posts
4,184 battles

Figure the value of a Doubloon is 0.5¢ each.  (If you buy in quantity you can get that down below 0.42¢ each.

Really?  I've never run out so I haven't see the previous costs, but that seems like a lot.  Anyone see the cost for EqualSpeedCharlieLondon?

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Figure the value of a Doubloon is 0.5¢ each.  (If you buy in quantity you can get that down below 0.42¢ each.

Really?  I've never run out so I haven't see the previous costs, but that seems like a lot.  Anyone see the cost for EqualSpeedCharlieLondon?

How do you manage to never run out of PapaPapa and Zulu Hotel???

Beta Testers
1,704 posts
3,833 battles

I am disappointed as well this was an option since the beginning of the game and it seems silly to remove it now. It seems like a way to get you to spend more money on the things you don't need. 

[TDG]
Members
1,649 posts
8,055 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

It near the bottom of the Update announcement:

Signal Cost
Zulu 8 doubloons
Papa Papa 8 doubloons
Equal Speed Charlie London 16 doubloons
India Bravo Terrathree 4 doubloons
Zulu Hotel 6 doubloons

If you don't fly all of them, there will be a point where it is actually cheaper to just buy them on replacement for doubloons.

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts

I used to buy ZH and PP three times per month on average. That's $6.98 X 3 = $20.94 per month.

I stopped a few months ago after these options were pulled.

I can't see myself buying flags anymore.

Sorry, WG.

Edited by TheGreatBlasto

[BUOY]
Members
320 posts
9,433 battles
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So what's the math?

Before you could get 100X Zulu Hotel for $2.99 US and 100X PapaPapa for $3.99 US.   That's $6.98 for 100X of each flag.

Now you're being forced to pay 6 doubloons for ZH and 8 for PP....

To be fair, they are selling a 1250 doubloons package right now for a 5% discount so at that price per doubloon 100x ZH = $3.0528 and 100x PP = 4.0704. Still 2% more than the old bundles, but 6 and 8 cents over 100 games is probably not gonna break anyone's bank and of course if you buy doubloons in bigger batches the in game doubloon cost easily goes below the old 100x store price.

For example if you bought a batch of 25k doubloons at the normal price your cost of refilling 100x PP and 100x ZH would be $5.60 and you'd be getting 1,785 games in if you flew both flags the whole time. With the current sale it would be $4.76 and 2,100 games. And yes to be fair in this case it's a much bigger chunk of change initially, but I'm also assuming the doubloons are spent solely on PP and ZH flags and nothing else.

Edited by lloyd1701

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
411 posts
6,440 battles

On the bright side any doubloons you get for free can be used to buy signals flags, so generally it does open up the possibility to get more 'free' signals provided you get rewarded with doubloons in game.

I don't mind spending doubloons on signals so much, but as @YeOldeTraveller mentioned above I'm concerned about that slow drain of doubloons that could runaway if you don't manage it carefully. If they allowed you to buy signals in-bulk in-game then it would be much easier to manage.

[ICOP]
Members
1,067 posts
3,878 battles
12 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So what's the math?

How does it compare to before?

If you choose the Buy Any Amount of Doubloons option in the store for that same $6.98 you'd get 1292 doubloons.

Let's break that 1292 up:

2.99/6.98 = 42.8%  of total cost

3.99/6.98 = 57.2%   of total cost 

42.8% x 1292 = 553 doubloons

57.2 X 1292 = 738 doubloons

So do we still get 100 of each for the same price?

ZH price = 6 doubloons.

PP = 8 doubloons

553/6 = 92 ZH flags

738/8 = 92.25 Pflags

As I recall those 100x Flag came with a discount, did you factor that in?