You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ArnoldSchoenberg

Demolition Expert on UK BB?

15 comments in this topic

[F-N-S]
Members
524 posts

Its HE shell starts fire at a rate of 35%+ already.

But I am thinking about add DE to increase it. Another good thing about this is that I can then share the captain with Belfast, which do benefit from DE.

How do you think? I have 19 pt to reset. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,719 posts
7,007 battles

Which ship are you using?

What are the skills you have right now?

Which skill(s) would you be sacrificing in order to spend those three skill points?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,746 posts
10,984 battles

I feel that those points are better used elsewhere.

[ICOP]
Members
1,067 posts
3,878 battles

The potential gain is not worth the points, with a base chance at 35% and additional 2% for 37% chance is only ~5.7% overall increase.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,719 posts
7,007 battles
5 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

The potential gain is not worth the points, with a base chance at 35% and additional 2% for 37% chance is only ~5.7% overall increase.

Agree. It's only worth it for ships which have a relatively high rate of fire, and in which the number of shells you can deliver on target per unit time makes small increases in fire chance worthwhile. 

Optimise the captain for your battleship. The Belfast will have to cope.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-K-]
Members
6,253 posts
10,463 battles

For 3 skill points, those points are far more useful on your BB on something like Superintendent, BoS, or Vigilance.

Adding 2% fire chance to something like Lion or Conqueror makes about as much logical sense as adding Survivability Expert on Yamato or GK.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,584 posts
16,128 battles
39 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

For 3 skill points, those points are far more useful on your BB on something like Superintendent, BoS, or Vigilance.

Adding 2% fire chance to something like Lion or Conqueror makes about as much logical sense as adding Survivability Expert on Yamato or GK.

Ehh does it really matter all that much where you decide to waste those 3 points?  I mean I could set all my captain skill points on my Conqueror to match that of my Midway and still go out and have great games.

I run both Superintendent and Demolition Expert on my Conq.

I currently sit at the 4th best WR on the NA server for Solo WR for players who have a 100 or more battles in that category according to Ship Comrade.

So just put them wherever you want because in the end your ship is only as good as you are.

Conq.thumb.png.bd9671a26b52c04ee3b28ca04981a3e2.png

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[AXANR]
Members
3,384 posts
17,708 battles
2 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

I run both Superintendent and Demolition Expert on my Conq.

I currently sit at the 4th best WR on the NA server for Solo WR for players who have a 100 or more battles in that category according to Ship Comrade.

So just put them wherever you want because in the end your ship is only as good as you are.

Conq.thumb.png.bd9671a26b52c04ee3b28ca04981a3e2.png

Yes, but opportunity cost is a thing. Three points into a skill that gives you minimal benefit hurts your overall ship build. Who's to say you wouldn't be #2 or #3 on that list if you weren't wasting three points?

I mean,  captain skills may not be critical in many battles... I've had great games when retraining a captain. I've been using my Aigle captain in Richelieu to train him up and still been having monster games, but I'm sure I'd do even better if I respecced him for skills that benefited Richelieu (which I plan on before ranked starts.)

And when you're facing good players,  every edge helps. Maybe 95% of the time in random battles it doesn't matter,  but when you're dueling someone as good or better as you, or you're trying to help win against a team with a unicum div on other side or hard carry a godawful team, or especially in clan or ranked battles, a strong captain build absolutely makes a difference.

Demo Expert on a RN BB is, objectively, statistically, a waste of three points. The opportunity cost is too high. Too many other ways to use it more productively.

[5BS]
Members
7,014 posts

Don't waste the 3 points, diminishing returns and all that, and be aware of the actual fire% Equation:

[Fire Resistance Coefficient] x ( 1 - [Damage Control Modification 1] - [Fire Prevention] ) x ( [Projectile Base Fire Chance] + [Demolition Expert] + [Signals] - [Inertial Fuse for HE Shells]) = Fire Chance

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

DE is additive, not multiplicative and thus at higher %Fire chances, it adds 'less' actual fire% (if you catch the mathematical meaning) than say at a far lower %.

So, for example, a ship with 2% base fire chance, getting DE brings it up to 4%, effectively *doubling* (+100%) the fire chance, while a ship with say, 40% fire chance only goes up to 42%, or an additional +5% or so.

If it were multiplicative, which it is *not*, it would under the same constraints only add 0.04 to the 2% ship and 0.8 to the 40% ship; this is why it is Additive, is so that it actually makes a DIFFERENCE on those ships with poor fire% but conversely, it makes it more or less worthless for ships with higher fire%'s.

Edited by _RC1138

[DRACS]
Members
4,417 posts

DE on those ships would be 3 completely and utterly wasted points.

You want Superintendent + either Vigilance or the reduced fire and flood duration one.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,584 posts
16,128 battles

15 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

Yes, but opportunity cost is a thing. Three points into a skill that gives you minimal benefit hurts your overall ship build. Who's to say you wouldn't be #2 or #3 on that list if you weren't wasting three points?

I mean,  captain skills may not be critical in many battles... I've had great games when retraining a captain. I've been using my Aigle captain in Richelieu to train him up and still been having monster games, but I'm sure I'd do even better if I respecced him for skills that benefited Richelieu (which I plan on before ranked starts.)

And when you're facing good players,  every edge helps. Maybe 95% of the time in random battles it doesn't matter,  but when you're dueling someone as good or better as you, or you're trying to help win against a team with a unicum div on other side or hard carry a godawful team, or especially in clan or ranked battles, a strong captain build absolutely makes a difference.

Demo Expert on a RN BB is, objectively, statistically, a waste of three points. The opportunity cost is too high. Too many other ways to use it more productively.

Who is to say  that you poetic would not be 2 or 3 if you used it..... think about that for a minute

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[WOLF3]
Members
19,720 posts
18,080 battles

DE on RN BBs is a waste.  SI, BoS would be better choices for those ships.

In general, BBs have already high Fire Chance, so the gains from DE aren't really worth it, IMO.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
800 posts
5,368 battles

I agree, It's a waste of points, And I used it for a bit to try things out. I still would set just as many fires each round. I do however use to the two flags that increase fire chance by like 1% each. Again I don't notice any difference with or without them. However I keep getting them flags so may as well use them.

[AXANR]
Members
3,384 posts
17,708 battles
2 hours ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Who is to say  that you poetic would not be 2 or 3 if you used it..... think about that for a minute

Pretty sure a 2% increase in fire chance per shell when I already set 2-3 fires per HE salvo would not be enough to boost me there, but way to make a hilariously disingenuous argument. 

If you want to waste 3 capt skill points on a skill that doesn't really help you as much as other skills could with the same three points, go for it. I'm not here to argue, I'm just here to explain why you're wrong so a bunch of people don't say "oh, he's good at Conqueror, I should take that potato skill too" without seeing a dissenting voice. :)