You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FantomF4

new afk rules

59 comments in this topic

[AFK]
Members
139 posts
12,293 battles

do they give a vote if we want a penalty if we lose connection of leave game early if someone comes to the door..this is a [edited] rule,real life should be put in the rule too,,not an acceptable rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members
411 posts

It's for repeat offenders. You won't get punished unless it's done multiple times (at least that his how I understand it).

Anyways if you're so concerned real life will get in the way, don't gamble and log into a battle and punish the rest of the team.

I am glad to see these people who's guns swivel at the beginning of battle and not move have a repercussion for leaving the game even though they were obviously able to make the connection.

Or the rage quitter who finds the situation hopeless and straight up leaves mid-battle. I think this was the target-audience of these kinds of punishments.

If you don't fall into those categories, I don't think you'll have to worry.

• Cool 4

Members
18 posts
6,385 battles

ok, I was just panelized for being afk because the electric going out in the first 30 seconds before game started.

so this new rule is pointless when they cannot account for random things in everyday life.

Edited by Darkraxigh
error
  • Cool 2

Members
3,992 posts
8,629 battles
52 minutes ago, KonigstigerVII said:

It's for repeat offenders. You won't get punished unless it's done multiple times (at least that his how I understand it).

Anyways if you're so concerned real life will get in the way, don't gamble and log into a battle and punish the rest of the team.

I am glad to see these people who's guns swivel at the beginning of battle and not move have a repercussion for leaving the game even though they were obviously able to make the connection.

Or the rage quitter who finds the situation hopeless and straight up leaves mid-battle. I think this was the target-audience of these kinds of punishments.

If you don't fall into those categories, I don't think you'll have to worry.

Yes, yes, yes yes and yes.... in theory. Let's see what happens in practice.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[WOLF7]
Members
11,626 posts
5 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Yes, yes, yes yes and yes.

Except that doesn't appear to be correct..people are already claiming being penalized for a single afk...:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles
17 minutes ago, Darkraxigh said:

ok, I was just panelized for being afk because the electric going out in the first 30 seconds before game started.

so this new rule is pointless when they cannot account for random things in everyday life.

unless your electricity goes out on a regular basis, you have nothing to worry about. it's not a penalty until you do it repeatedly.

if your electricity does go out on a regular basis, you should probably look into a better place of residence. or call an electrician. or do something other than complain about WG finally calling a duck a duck.

Members
3,992 posts
8,629 battles
4 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Except that doesn't appear to be correct..people are already claiming being penalized for a single afk...:Smile_teethhappy:

Ah ha. I changed my remark in that case. :cap_wander:

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles
23 minutes ago, awiggin said:

unless they're going orange, they're not being penalized. pink is what it always has been: a warning. a finger wag at best. like when a parent starts to count to 3.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,760 posts
15,957 battles
1 hour ago, KonigstigerVII said:

That's way out of line; not everyone can afford modern, up to date equipment, and no one has control over what their ISP does. Your comment is totally uncalled for.

• Cool 4

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,760 posts
15,957 battles
47 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

if your electricity does go out on a regular basis, you should probably look into a better place of residence. or call an electrician. or do something other than complain about WG finally calling a duck a duck.

and if your ISP crashes, the ISP which is the ONLY ONE ALLOWED to provide service in your area? another rude and uncalled for comment.

• Cool 3

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

and if your ISP crashes, the ISP which is the ONLY ONE ALLOWED to provide service in your area? another rude and uncalled for comment.

who is more rude, the person who ruins someone else's match by playing while knowing that their internet cuts out on the regular, or the person who calls them out on it? if you know it's bad, either do something about it or don't play an online game involving 23 other people at a time.

WG's stance on it is pretty clear, judging by the new rules.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,760 posts
15,957 battles
1 minute ago, MidnightShamalan said:

who is more rude, the person who ruins someone else's match by playing while knowing that their internet cuts out on the regular, or the person who calls them out on it? if you know it's bad, either do something about it or don't play an online game involving 23 other people at a time.

WG's stance on it is pretty clear, judging by the new rules.

The person who calls them out on it, as that person is the only one with control over the situation. You're a troll, deal with it.

• Cool 3

Members
18 posts
6,385 battles

This is about people cannot control that the power, the internet or something go's out then he gets penalized because of a random thing and gets penalized notification that he may get pinked or worse.

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles
13 minutes ago, Umikami said:

The person who calls them out on it, as that person is the only one with control over the situation. You're a troll, deal with it.

the person with the poor internet connection has complete control over whether or not they play an online game.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,760 posts
15,957 battles
22 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

the person with the poor internet connection has complete control over whether or not they play an online game.

So you're saying that only players with good equipment should be allowed to play the game? Gulag much?

Supertester
164 posts
4,348 battles
5 minutes ago, Umikami said:

So you're saying that only players with good equipment should be allowed to play the game? Gulag much?

People with unstable computers or poor internet connections (or those who play while on call, have people come to the door regularly, etc) know that there is a risk they will have to go AFK during a battle, voluntarily or not.  They choose to press the battle button in full knowledge of that risk.  Going AFK in a battle, regardless of reason, puts your team at an immediate disadvantage and should be discouraged.  The aforementioned people are (or should be) aware of that fact.  They still choose to press the battle button.

These people absolutely can and should still play the game, I won't discourage them from doing so.  But it's a risk for them and for their team.  Like most risks, this one comes with consequences.  

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,760 posts
15,957 battles
18 minutes ago, LadyUniPotato said:

Going AFK in a battle, regardless of reason, puts your team at an immediate disadvantage and should be discouraged.

Complete and utter tripe, as teams in battle lose ships for all types of reasons, including the ship itself being broken due to non combat issues. All you'all want to do is punish someone for things they have little or no control over, like actually having a life outside this game and occasionally having it interfere with a match. Put on your big boy pants, quit crying, and lighten up on other players.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,148 posts
4,981 battles
3 hours ago, BlazerSS said:

do they give a vote if we want a penalty if we lose connection of leave game early if someone comes to the door..this is a [edited] rule,real life should be put in the rule too,,not an acceptable rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To my knowledge, the in-game report/compliment system only affects your Karma points and does not tie into WG's new anti-abuse system with 0.7.4, which was released this morning.

The new system will work similar to the current auto anti-team damage/TK system currently in place, but it will not only track team damage and TKs. It will track AFK's, how long a player is in a battle and whether or not they leave the battle prematurely. Your first offense results in a warning. Pink is no longer the penalty phase but is the warning phase. After you receive a warning, you can be penalized for violating the anti-abuse system. You are then given the "orange badge of shame" and are not allowed to play in random, ranked, or operations battle modes but only co-op, training room, and clan battles until you work off your penalty.... which should be similar to what it is now from what I have read. After 3 to 5 games you will have paid your debt to WoWs and be allowed to participate in random, ranked, and operation battle modes again.

What we don't know is how many times you have to be AFK in "X" number of battles for that to happen, but WG did list three examples of how you go from standard, to pink, to orange in the news bulletin about the anti-abuse system: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/anti-abuse-system/. WG assures has assured players that unless you having multiple disconnects in a short period of time, the new system should not penalize players who occasionally have a disconnect, power outage, etc. Whether that will be in the case in practice , we will just have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Darkraxigh said:

Did you receive a warning for your status turning pink for being AFK one time or did you skip GO, not collect $200, and go straight to orange also with causing any team damage or team killing anyone? If that is the case, then you need to report it as a bug to WG because that is not how the system is supposed to work.

2 hours ago, awiggin said:

Unless something has changed and is different from what WG has implemented on the test server and released in the 0.7.4 notes and Dasha video, players are given a warning with their name turning pink for being AFK the first time during a 24-hour period. They are not supposed to be penalized and receive the orange badge of shame for going AFK until they do it more than once. 

Edited by daVinci761st

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
9 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

The new system will work similar to the current auto anti-team damage/TK system currently in place, but it will not only track team damage and TKs. It will track AFK's, how long a player is in a battle and whether or not they leave the battle prematurely. Your first offense results in a warning. Pink is no longer the penalty phase but is the warning phase. After you receive a warning, you can be penalized for violating the anti-abuse system. You are then given the "orange badge of shame" and are not allowed to play in random, ranked, or operations battle modes but only co-op, training room, and clan battles until you work off your penalty.... which should be similar to what it is now from what I have read. After 3 to 5 games you will have paid your debt to WoWs and be allowed to participate in random, ranked, and operation battle modes again.

I wish they would at least use a different color coding system for AFK'ers. As a PvE player it would make this a little better, knowing if they are a TK'er or AFK'er, at least for me.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,148 posts
4,981 battles
1 minute ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

I wish they would at least use a different color coding system for AFK'ers. As a PvE player it would make this a little better, knowing if they are a TK'er or AFK'er, at least for me.

That is a good idea.  Maybe blue for team damage/TK'ers and orange for the people that got a penalty for AFK/disconnects. 

Supertester
164 posts
4,348 battles
7 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Complete and utter tripe

Last I checked, a 12 person team generally has an advantage over an 11 person team.  Higher outright DPM, more people capable of shooting at the other team, more people capable of capping.... I don't quite understand how you see that as "tripe"

10 minutes ago, Umikami said:

All you'all want to do is punish someone for things they have little or no control over

I don't want to punish anyone that has something come up once.  If it starts becoming a recurring problem, then that's a different story.  

12 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Put on your big boy pants, quit crying

I'm the one that's perfectly willing to own up to my own mistakes and accept the punishment for them.  You're the one defending people that cause problems for their teams when they were in full knowledge of the risks they were taking.  

It's fine to take the risk of having to go AFK but you better be prepared to accept the punishment that comes with it.  As you said, put on your big boy pants, deal with the few games of penalty status, and move on.

• Cool 2

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
1 minute ago, daVinci761st said:

That is a good idea.  Maybe blue for team damage/TK'ers and orange for the people that got a penalty for AFK/disconnects. 

Yeah something, I would like to know. When they are behind my ship!

[WOLF9]
Members
1,500 posts

The new AFK rules are nothing more than a placebo because AFK players are a SYMPTOM, not the problem. The problem is that radar and hydro see through islands, tier 5 players are sick of being deleted by tier 7 players on sight, and seeing a cv in the roster means you have either just won the lottery, OR you might as well just scuttle your ship, and either way, it will be due to something completely beyond your control.

The people complaining about AFK players are simply blaming a visible manifestation of the frustration many players are feeling with random battles these days. WG, in their typically less than insightful customer relations efforts, have instituted punitive measures to placate the more vocal critics. Please note, they have not addressed the underlying problems, they are merely  punishing one group of people to silence another.

At some point, and that point is getting closer every day, WG will either see that you cannot punish customers into giving you their money, you can only drive them, and their money elsewhere, or they will look at their balance sheets and decide that North American operations are no longer economically viable, and this server will be shut down.

Before you scoff that it is a ridiculous notion, I have been playing this game for about two years. When I started playing, I recall seeing around 10,000 players during weekdays, but weekends shot up to 23,000 or more. Since that time, weekday figures have held fairly stable around 10,000 at peak, but weekend numbers have dropped considerably. From 23,000 it slid to 21,000, then to 19,000, then 17,000, and if you were watching this past weekend, it never got as high as 13,000.

In other words, new entries to the game have dropped by half in two years. The game is not attracting new players, and punishing the person who has a bad internet connection, or whose real life intrudes upon their leisure  time, is unlikely to reverse that trend.

Fix the in game problems that lead to AFK behavior, and it will cease to be an issue, ignore them, and players are just going to do what they are doing right now, leave.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,614 posts
9,583 battles
6 hours ago, daVinci761st said:

The big problem with using blue is that many players that play WOT would think that means they can shoot you.  In tanks, a TKer turns blue and teammates can shoot them without penalty.  Supposedly to protect the team if they try to do more team damage.