You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

Questions from an PvE Player (WARNING Long Post)

41 comments in this topic

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles

To the Staff of Wargaming - I am addressing this to you but I know I will hear from my fellow player/forum members, all I ask is this discussion not devolve in to the normal PvP vs. PvE hate filled debates that many fall into (even I). Also I have been UP since midnight EST due to one of my officers quitting so please forgive me for spelling and grammar errors. And this meant is not a threat, or an attack or Wargaming, so I hope it is not taken this way.

I am a long time gamer, I started pen and paper RPG with the White Box of D&D during the late 70s, and I have been a computer gamer the 80s with Bard's Tale and Ultima Online, I even scripted (self taught) and ran a RunUO free server called Legends of Hope. This experience does not give me any special, insight to gaming, I am just letting you know my background.

When I first started computer online games, I quickly learned to have a strong dislike for PvP environment, mainly from the bully like attitude of some players, this may stem from my own strong dislike of bullies from days as a child who was bullied for being a stutter. So this along with my work schedule, my home life issues has always made PvP distasteful for me. This will not change, just like I would not expect any of the Hard core PvP players to change to PvE. For me PvP and PvE are both needed components for most modern gaming. But at the same time a game (any game) that is PvP only has no interest for me. 

Now with the my own AFK/TK to Co-Op soapbox stand, I may not have the right to make this statement, but after my time in the US Navy I found my voice a long time ago and the little stuttering child has grown a backbone. Also I know Wargaming did not plan on Warships' Co-Op to have a following of Co-Op players, but you do have us and for every two of us here on the forums I willing to bet there are more who are not members of the forum (just like PvP).

I also know you have your "standing orders" on how to answer this type of comments, complaints, player input but can you give this old PvE player and maybe some of the rest of us more of a firm answer? See the only reason I am doing this is I really, really like this game, I have never been a forum follower for any game before this one, oh I would join so I could find out information but I would never care that much about their games, if I did not like or got bored with it I would move on. This is the only game I have ever "fought" for - Luck you, Huh?

So now for the questions, I hope someone from Wargaming (Dev Team would be perfect) will answer them, and post the answers here on the forum.

1) For Wargaming/WoWs is there any preference towards PvP vs. PvE players? Or are we all the same to you as far as game-play? I know some of us are royal pains in the stern (holds up his hand), but there are times I feel we (PvE players) are the unwanted step-children of WoWs.

2) It there any plans to really expand PvE play in WoWs? You have done some things which I am very grateful for, but is there more coming?

3) Can there be a Sub-Forum made where PvE only issues can be discussed? Or at least a member of the Forum Staff appointed to be the PvE Moderator?

4) With the AFK new rule-set, is there going to be anyway we can plead our case, after we have been made pink? While I do not go AFK often and only for things out of my control, this is a concern for many of us who have be voicing our opinions at least from what I understand/been told.

5) Now this next question is based on from some of the more hostile PvP player/forum members' comments towards PvE postings; Does Wargaming want to/plan to force out PvE Players?

6) Can you be more open with your plans for WoWs as a whole, PvP and PvE? And listen a little more to us on both sides of this issue?

Okay that is all the questions I know I may take some heat, but I have worked next to 650Lb boilers I can take heat, I just hope you Wargaming will answer and not close this soon as I post it.

To my fellow Forum members lets us please keep this civil, and thank you putting up me with for the last few days, I know I have been a complete pain in the stern. Do my Friends and Clan Mates, I sorry if I got any of you upset but I an old stubborn sailor and when I feel I am being walked on I fire off a broadside without thinking.

• Cool 12

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,952 posts

1) WG favors PvP but recognizes that PvE folks are a source of income and throw them a bone occasionally.

2) WG is actively working on PvE scenarios which is a rather large bone to throw PvE folks, and it's a tasty one.

4) You won't go anywhere if you turn pink or orange since you play PvE already.  The new system only limits folks who take pink one step further and turn orange will be forced into any kind of game mode.  I just find them being allowed in clan battles interesting.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,719 posts
7,007 battles
21 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

It there any plans to really expand PvE play in WoWs? You have done some things which I am very grateful for, but is there more coming?

They have made the upcoming permanent Halsey campaign at least partially PvE-accessible, which is not the case for Yamamoto (though I can see it as being a foot in the door to changes in that regard). I would call that a HUGE concession to the PvE brigade. I don't often take my Tier 8 ship into PvE, but it would be nice to know that the efforts I make in that mode will be going somewhere if I do.

As a not-very-strong player I was pleased to see some recent tasks were achievable in co-op as well as Randoms. This seems to be becoming more common.

We also have a new scenario coming (Solomons, night battle). Gimme, please. I love these battles.

It's a pity that the TK trolls and griefers are being dumped in co-op - I feel your pain on that one - but too much of that :etc_swear: and the rules for account-banning will eventually kick in. I seriously think they need to make persistent TK players open to vengeance from both sides (as in World of Tanks), but obviously WG has its reasons for not doing that right now. Let's see how it works out in the upcoming patch - it may not be the end of the world.

• Cool 2

[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,308 posts
12,579 battles

A lot of players who primarily play PvP use the PvE mode to complete missions that allow it and to work on skills that they are lacking in ( for me, CV play - I like it, but my skill is relatively low and I don't want to handicap a team in PvP  ).  PvE only players are completely normal to me, and in a way I am grateful for them realizing that playing PvP would be too hard and stressful.  I play a bunch of PC games that have on-line multiplayer elements, but always play them against the AI due to time or scheduling restraints.  The only thing that has ever bothered me about the PvE posse on the forum, is the demand to have equal rights to complete all missions in PvE instead of Random PvP (not you Chaos_EN2, but quite a few others).  The game was constructed for competitive players, and it should cater to them, I think WG got lucky with it's PvE mode attracting a small but committed base of players that represent an alternative stream of income for them.  Slowly they have been adding in missions that can be completed in both modes, so they are being respectful of the PvE players, but as an add on stream, it's never going to get the same priority that the Ranked, Randoms and Clan Battles get.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
3 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

The only thing that has ever bothered me about the PvE posse on the forum, is the demand to have equal rights to complete all missions in PvE instead of Random PvP (not you Chaos_EN2, but quite a few others).

Well I would like to see some missions that are more PvE bent:Smile_hiding:. Just I would like to see the mission have a longer time table for completion for us working stiffs. I will try to get my done but sometimes the job gets in the way, like today, got woke up and midnight and trying to re-figure my site schedule all because of someone quitting.

So I will try to play today when I get off, but I will not be to go at it:Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,417 posts
14,831 battles
3 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

A lot of players who primarily play PvP use the PvE mode to complete missions that allow it and to work on skills that they are lacking in ( for me, CV play - I like it, but my skill is relatively low and I don't want to handicap a team in PvP  ).  PvE only players are completely normal to me, and in a way I am grateful for them realizing that playing PvP would be too hard and stressful.  I play a bunch of PC games that have on-line multiplayer elements, but always play them against the AI due to time or scheduling restraints.  The only thing that has ever bothered me about the PvE posse on the forum, is the demand to have equal rights to complete all missions in PvE instead of Random PvP (not you Chaos_EN2, but quite a few others).  The game was constructed for competitive players, and it should cater to them, I think WG got lucky with it's PvE mode attracting a small but committed base of players that represent an alternative stream of income for them.  Slowly they have been adding in missions that can be completed in both modes, so they are being respectful of the PvE players, but as an add on stream, it's never going to get the same priority that the Ranked, Randoms and Clan Battles get.

This is a fair and civil post and thank you for that 1st and foremost.

I know you consider me part of the PVE Posse LOL so let me be clear on one thing. The reasonable Posse members and I LOL have asked for the ability to participate in all missions and events in Co-op that is true BUT with scaled difficulty to make it just as hard as it would be to do it in PVP, OR, with the ability to at least do repeatable parts of it (ie; earn stars) in Co-op so that we can participate too. That isn't asking for an easier road to the prize or special treatment. It is only asking for inclusion in the game we enjoy, play, and support financially. We just wanted a a road to the prize available to us as well.

The new Halsey campaign is a perfect compromise. Parts of it can be done in Co-op so PVE players can earn Halsey as well by repeating the parts available to us to earn enough stars. It will take a boat load of games and effort for Co-op players to earn him the same as it will for a PVP player. Everyone wins here. A Co-op player who earns Halsey truly has earned him so there should be no concerns from PVP players that it was too easy for us.

That is what reasonable PVE mains asked for. 

Again, thank you for a civil post.

• Cool 5

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,055 battles

[PvP main to identify point of view]

Several good points.  I am happy to see the options to complete some of these tasks in Co-Op.

I would wonder if it would not be possible to put the Sanctioned Players (Orange status as this is the one with the restriction) into a protected queue like new players get.  I figure they should have the same wait time rules, but only other Sanctioned Players are placed into the same battles with them.  Fill out the team with bots as normal.

• Cool 2

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,456 battles
1 hour ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

To the Staff of Wargaming - I am addressing this to you but I know I will hear from my fellow player/forum members, all I ask is this discussion not devolve in to the normal PvP vs. PvE hate filled debates that many fall into (even I). Also I have been UP since midnight EST due to one of my officers quitting so please forgive me for spelling and grammar errors. And this meant is not a threat, or an attack or Wargaming, so I hope it is not taken this way.

I am a long time gamer, I started pen and paper RPG with the White Box of D&D during the late 70s, and I have been a computer gamer the 80s with Bard's Tale and Ultima Online, I even scripted (self taught) and ran a RunUO free server called Legends of Hope. This experience does not give me any special, insight to gaming, I am just letting you know my background.

When I first started computer online games, I quickly learned to have a strong dislike for PvP environment, mainly from the bully like attitude of some players, this may stem from my own strong dislike of bullies from days as a child who was bullied for being a stutter. So this along with my work schedule, my home life issues has always made PvP distasteful for me. This will not change, just like I would not expect any of the Hard core PvP players to change to PvE. For me PvP and PvE are both needed components for most modern gaming. But at the same time a game (any game) that is PvP only has no interest for me. 

Now with the my own AFK/TK to Co-Op soapbox stand, I may not have the right to make this statement, but after my time in the US Navy I found my voice a long time ago and the little stuttering child has grown a backbone. Also I know Wargaming did not plan on Warships' Co-Op to have a following of Co-Op players, but you do have us and for every two of us here on the forums I willing to bet there are more who are not members of the forum (just like PvP).

I also know you have your "standing orders" on how to answer this type of comments, complaints, player input but can you give this old PvE player and maybe some of the rest of us more of a firm answer? See the only reason I am doing this is I really, really like this game, I have never been a forum follower for any game before this one, oh I would join so I could find out information but I would never care that much about their games, if I did not like or got bored with it I would move on. This is the only game I have ever "fought" for - Luck you, Huh?

So now for the questions, I hope someone from Wargaming (Dev Team would be perfect) will answer them, and post the answers here on the forum.

1) For Wargaming/WoWs is there any preference towards PvP vs. PvE players? Or are we all the same to you as far as game-play? I know some of us are royal pains in the stern (holds up his hand), but there are times I feel we (PvE players) are the unwanted step-children of WoWs.

2) It there any plans to really expand PvE play in WoWs? You have done some things which I am very grateful for, but is there more coming?

3) Can there be a Sub-Forum made where PvE only issues can be discussed? Or at least a member of the Forum Staff appointed to be the PvE Moderator?

4) With the AFK new rule-set, is there going to be anyway we can plead our case, after we have been made pink? While I do not go AFK often and only for things out of my control, this is a concern for many of us who have be voicing our opinions at least from what I understand/been told.

5) Now this next question is based on from some of the more hostile PvP player/forum members' comments towards PvE postings; Does Wargaming want to/plan to force out PvE Players?

6) Can you be more open with your plans for WoWs as a whole, PvP and PvE? And listen a little more to us on both sides of this issue?

Okay that is all the questions I know I may take some heat, but I have worked next to 650Lb boilers I can take heat, I just hope you Wargaming will answer and not close this soon as I post it.

To my fellow Forum members lets us please keep this civil, and thank you putting up me with for the last few days, I know I have been a complete pain in the stern. Do my Friends and Clan Mates, I sorry if I got any of you upset but I an old stubborn sailor and when I feel I am being walked on I fire off a broadside without thinking.

Kudos to both the OP for a truly superb, well thought-out  post and Admiral Thunder's clear, reasonable and rational response. 

I too would like to hear a definitive statement on WG's goals and feelings for PVE players.  I too have felt like a red headed stepchild at times from WG (inability to do some mission tasks etc)  but also sincerely applaud the new Halsey campaign as a step in the right direction, and the ability for us PVE guys to eventually grind it out; and secondly,  more often from fellow forum guys who often diminish the players in the PVE game mode.

I'm not sure if creating a separate PVE forum is a good idea (it could truly exacerbate the Us vs Them mentality) but I do understand why the OP feels like it might be necessary.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
2 minutes ago, nagasakee said:

I'm not sure if creating a separate PVE forum is a good idea (it could truly exacerbate the Us vs Them mentality) but I do understand why the OP feels like it might be necessary.

I know but there are some many times when you post something dealing with PvE, the attackers come out of the wood-work, from BOTH sides. That is why I added the idea of a PvE Moderator to keep both sides in check.

• Cool 1

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,456 battles

you are absolutely correct on your facts here, I do understand why.   I just don't know, that if implemented...would things get better or worse?

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
18 minutes ago, nagasakee said:

you are absolutely correct on your facts here, I do understand why.   I just don't know, that if implemented...would things get better or worse?

It is hard to tell, I want this game to grow so much. I post my invite code where ever I can - Vero, Instagram, Facebook, etc., but some of the attacks just make me wonder if this game is worth doing this for?

As a gamer and USN Vet, this was a dream game when I found it. But now????

[WOLF9]
Members
835 posts
6,104 battles
1 hour ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

It is hard to tell, I want this game to grow so much. I post my invite code where ever I can - Vero, Instagram, Facebook, etc., but some of the attacks just make me wonder if this game is worth doing this for?

As a gamer and USN Vet, this was a dream game when I found it. But now????

Was looking for:

UNICORN_s.jpg

Found:

RHINO_2).jpg

:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Curly__san
syntax edit
  • Cool 1

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
3 minutes ago, Curly__san said:

Was looking for:

UNICORN_s.jpg

Found:

RHINO_2).jpg

:Smile_teethhappy:

I really do not get your point? But thanks for your input.:Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,417 posts
14,831 battles
1 hour ago, nagasakee said:

Kudos to both the OP for a truly superb, well thought-out  post and Admiral Thunder's clear, reasonable and rational response. 

I too would like to hear a definitive statement on WG's goals and feelings for PVE players.  I too have felt like a red headed stepchild at times from WG (inability to do some mission tasks etc)  but also sincerely applaud the new Halsey campaign as a step in the right direction, and the ability for us PVE guys to eventually grind it out; and secondly,  more often from fellow forum guys who often diminish the players in the PVE game mode.

I have suggested a separate sub forum for PVE posts as well in the past on a few occasions. Just a place where PVE topics can be discussed without any conflict with PVP players who feel the need to stir the pot. Sadly there are some of these players on the forums. A dedicated mod who would not allow trolling and "mode hate" there ( from EITHER SIDE!!!) would help keep the peace. 

I don't look at it as any kind of "them vs us" setup but more a specialized forum for a specific type of topic. The way we have CV, BB, Cruiser, and DD subforums and those broken down by nation into even more sub forums. Just a small sub forum where the topics posted are PVE/Co-op related.

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
2,020 posts
3 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

You win the interwebs today.

I'm a PvE guy myself, for many of the same reasons as yours.

No. I don't think WG hates PvE or wants to herd us into a game mode we don't like. They make money off of PvE, maybe not as much as they'd like, but a buck's a buck.

One thing to keep in mind is that designing any AI environment is difficult and consumes valuable developer resources. Think of it this way: if WG hated PvE they wouldn't bother working on the AI engine at all.

I really don't see the new AFK/TK system as a huge deal. Heck, more humans on Co-op teams, even griefers and trolls, is better than a top slot with a bot CV ( don't get me started on that...).

Altogether a great post. BZ.

Edited by TF77
Grammar
  • Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
835 posts
6,104 battles
10 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

I really do not get your point? But thanks for your input.:Smile_honoring:

Just me being a smart aleck. We all want that 'perfect' game, but we know it's rare to impossible. That is all.

[_-_]
Members
2,020 posts
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have suggested a separate sub forum for PVE posts as well in the past on a few occasions. Just a place where PVE topics can be discussed without any conflict with PVP players who feel the need to stir the pot. Sadly there are some of these players on the forums. A dedicated mod who would not allow trolling and "mode hate" there ( from EITHER SIDE!!!) would help keep the peace. 

I don't look at it as any kind of "them vs us" setup but more a specialized forum for a specific type of topic. The way we have CV, BB, Cruiser, and DD subforums and those broken down by nation into even more sub forums. Just a small sub forum where the topics posted are PVE/Co-op related.

Good idea. Seconded.

[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,249 battles

I think the balance between PvE and PvP is an interesting consideration for game developers.  How do you build out each mode and cater to each customer preference, without doing it at the expense of the other - and keep as many customers happy as possible?

I have some experience playing a competing tank game for a while that offered a pretty robust PvE mode at the beginning of its launch.  As it turns out, due to some game balance issues in PvP and the surprising popularity of PvE (which also had a decent economy and nearly instantaneous loading), the PvE mode wound up being the more popular mode.  In a pretty short period of time, the PvP queues dried up to the point that it could take 10-15 minutes to load into a PvP game and the mode essentially died - taking out a big chunk of the customer base with it.

Therefore, it should be easy to understand why the economies differ in the two modes (and favor PvP), as you need more "live" players in the PvP population to keep it viable.  If they were equal (or even nearly so), a lot of folks who don't appreciate some of the "live player" team dynamics would just abandon a good chunk of their PvP play and wait times would get longer and it would be harder to implement MM improvements.  That being said, I don't know why WG can't offer all of the missions and extras in a form of PvE (PvE or Operations), but with the caveat that they are going to take longer to achieve.  I know that will cause some extra complexity with regard to how mission steps and tasks are defined (and some folks will never be understanding about why things take longer in PvE), but I think it will help sustain a larger player base and more revenue in the long term.

From a PvE content perspective, I think Operations has been a great addition - and shows that WG is trying to add more variety for PvE players.  It's actually a fun change of pace from PvP for everyone and the unique rewards like 10 pt Commanders are great.  Maybe introducing "chained" Operations missions, like WG is doing in WoT Console, could be an option?

In any case, I can't see any reason why WG would want to force out PvE folks.  However, they do have to be thoughtful about how to balance the modes.

• Cool 2

Members
376 posts
5 battles

I'm still of the opinion that if someone must turn orange it'd be more effective to just slap them with a temporary account ban rather than either intentionally or unintentionally punishing a part of the playerbase witht hem. 

• Cool 3

[WOLF9]
Members
3,745 posts
9 hours ago, nagasakee said:

It might be valuable from the sense that the meta in the 2 main modes is so radically different.   What works well in one often does not translate to the other- some ships, for example, need to be played very differently.

Advice and ship reviews can be confusing, contradictory, or just plain wrong- depending on who's giving it and who's reading it.   Unless it specifically says that it's written from the perspective of a Co-op main, etc.  

It'd be nice if it cut down on the signal to noise ratio with regards to the cross mode sniping- but I doubt it.   The threads that get hijacked and/or trolled the worst by the haters usually already have Co-op or PVE clearly written in the title.   I doubt that a dedicated section would pose any barrier to the sort of member who needs to constantly trash or talk down to pve players.   That's what the ignore function is for.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I respect the Players in PVE/Co-Op They are a great bunch. I am not a supporter of segregation. Therefore I would say no to any split of the forums. We are a community of All Players PVE/PVP. All Problems arise in both modes at one time or another. I see no reason to segregate and place "Special Mods in a Special Forum Section."

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
5 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

It might be valuable from the sense that the meta in the 2 main modes is so radically different.   What works well in one often does not translate to the other- some ships, for example, need to be played very differently.

Advice and ship reviews can be confusing, contradictory, or just plain wrong- depending on who's giving it and who's reading it.   Unless it specifically says that it's written from the perspective of a Co-op main, etc.  

It'd be nice if it cut down on the signal to noise ratio with regards to the cross mode sniping- but I doubt it.   The threads that get hijacked and/or trolled the worst by the haters usually already have Co-op or PVE clearly written in the title.   I doubt that a dedicated section would pose any barrier to the sort of member who needs to constantly trash or talk down to pve players.   That's what the ignore function is for.

4 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I respect the Players in PVE/Co-Op They are a great bunch. I am not a supporter of segregation. Therefore I would say no to any split of the forums. We are a community of All Players PVE/PVP. All Problems arise in both modes at one time or another. I see no reason to segregate and place "Special Mods in a Special Forum Section."

Thank you both for your input, one of the reason I even dared to suggest this is because of the Rage Posters on both side of the Fence PvP/PvE. And Mod would not even have to have the title "PvE Moderator" all Wargaming would have to do is speak up a little more towards the Rage Posters.

The other thing wish would happen to deal with this "Advice and ship reviews can be confusing, contradictory, or just plain wrong- depending on who's giving it and who's reading it. Unless it specifically says that it's written from the perspective of a Co-op main, etc." is someone be appointed/become the CC for Co-Op/PvE. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,439 posts
20,366 battles

The WG moderators are quick to clamp down on criticism of the company or it's employees and fairly quick to go after people who break the forum rules. Making fun of or belittling PvE players does not seem to draw their attention nor does making fun or belittling PvP players like I tend to do in retaliation towards those posters. Not sure that segregating the forums would help honestly, those people who are going to troll any co-op related post will not be deterred. Maybe having a moderator enforce the "stay on topic" rule could work, dunno but a troll is going to find a way to insinuate itself into a discussion and stay within the rules. Just my opinion but I think a co-op only area is just going to draw more attention to the posts and attract the people who dislike that mode and the people who play it. I could be wrong.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,683 posts
12,344 battles

I always thought WG had stated that PVE was a basic training ground for players and that the PVP side was their main source of concern.

WG has given PVE players the opportunity to expand on the normal type of games, eg operations.

They allow you to complete certain operations in co op

I would like them to expend the number of ships for co op tho to the same as randoms 12 v12

I understand there are those who prefer co op only, rather than have to play randoms and put up some of the trash that goes on in there.

Now with the bans sending people to co op to work off their penalty, your player base will expand rapidly

As someone stated in another post about what they have seen already in co op as there are now so many pinkies, if your not pink maybe an xp modifier for not being pink in co op