You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

CE or AFT first for US Cruisers?

33 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
199 posts
4,697 battles

Finally finished grinding the NO and bought the Baltimore.  I noticed I have enough exp to get a fourth Captain skill.  Which one do you prefer first  for the US Cruiser line, CE or AFT?  I understand the not being seen thing but, it would be awful nice to reach out and touch someone from a little farther away.  Thought and opinions are appreciated.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,624 posts
10,649 battles

CE. The longer you survive the better your reward will be (that is IF you do something while you're alive). You can sneak and use radar / disengage easily

AFT is kinda situational. You will shoot down some floaty planes / CV planes but that's it.

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,804 posts
7,044 battles

The only time I'd go AFT first in US cruisers is on an Atlanta, whose main armament gains a significant boost from the skill.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The only time I'd go AFT first in US cruisers is on an Atlanta, whose main armament gains a significant boost from the skill.

This! Read the description of AFT. It only applies below a certain caliber. CE is what you are looking for.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,171 posts
4,934 battles

Concealment is always needed, improved AA less so in the current CV drought.

Members
484 posts
2,928 battles

Unless you frequently div with a CV, CE is the better skill, my first 4 point skill was CE, and for the CLs, I would recommend IFHE, by for CAs, CE.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles
1 hour ago, Usedcarjock said:

Always always always CE. 

This.  AFT only helps your 5"/25 secondary/AA guns.  It doesn't do much for you really.  CE will.

[4TAC]
Members
947 posts
4,328 battles

CE , and by Tier 8 anywhere , you really ought to be at or nearing 14 point captain , to go to a second 4pt skill. CE is first for almost everything  below BB's and CV's, And I about 50/50 default to CE in BB's as well.

[BNKR]
Members
471 posts
2,983 battles

I went AFT first for the AA. 

Waiting for the clan wars respec so I can switch to CE. :Smile_teethhappy:

AA only helps when there are CVs in a match, so it is hit and miss. Not being detected is vital in every match.

• Cool 1

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
856 posts
14,267 battles

CE  in T7+  in a cruiser you are in the world where you can be one shotted.  More stealth in charging and ofter in retreat mode is your key to survive:D

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

How on earth did you get that far up the line without a 10 point captain? By tier 9 my captains have 14-15 points. Did you free XP through stuff?

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,332 battles
2 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Finally finished grinding the NO and bought the Baltimore.  I noticed I have enough exp to get a fourth Captain skill.  Which one do you prefer first  for the US Cruiser line, CE or AFT?  I understand the not being seen thing but, it would be awful nice to reach out and touch someone from a little farther away.  Thought and opinions are appreciated.

AFT does nothing for your main battery BTW your inference that it may is a bit disturbing for someone about to jump into tier 9.

[-GPF-]
Members
45 posts
4,188 battles
2 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

CE all the way first. My Des Moines captain build with 15pts currently is as follows:

Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksmen, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Demolition Expert, and finally Concealment Expert.

This captain with his build I have had going since the tier 7 because my Cleveland has a separate 12pt captain of its own spec'd for anti-aircraft. The New Orleans, Baltimore, and Des Moines 200% rely on CE to be effective.

The Des Moines has a 90 AA rating already so it is good to go there.

shot-18.04.23_22.03.55-0032.jpg

Edited by frontflip2cool

[WOLF9]
Members
199 posts
4,697 battles
1 hour ago, Jiggiwatt said:

How on earth did you get that far up the line without a 10 point captain? By tier 9 my captains have 14-15 points. Did you free XP through stuff?

I've been starting new commanders with each ship.

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles
13 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

I've been starting new commanders with each ship.

Any particular reason? Are you keeping the older ships?

[AXANR]
Members
3,385 posts
17,735 battles
4 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

USN cruisers only get AFT benefits to their AA and secondaries,  and cruiser secondaries are very weak. CE'S benefits to your survivability are far greater than the admittedly substantial boost to AA power (especially since games over t7 rarely see a CV) and minor boost to secondaries that are weak and rarely used anyway. 

[DRACS]
Members
4,431 posts

CE for damn sure. While other cruisers with long range high velocity guns can get away with not having concealment for a bit, USN cruisers are short ranged and ultra squishy. Being spotted = death.