Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Starbuck

Ocean tactics? Strategy?

18 comments in this topic

[2347]
Members
307 posts
6,631 battles

I've been playing about a year or a bit longer and can count on my fingers how many times I've seen the Ocean map, but every single time it just confuses the crap out of me...and my team, apparently. I really want to improve and I know my biggest weakness right now is positioning, so I've been working hard on that. I watch a lot of CC videos and watch the forum for tips and tricks, etc. There are a thousand examples of how to use cover, but I've yet to find anything or anyone who has suggestions for team strategy and individual tactics on Ocean, but I know some players out there must have some experience they can share.

I'm bringing this up because I've seen that map like 4 times over the past week or so and every time it seems to be largely a matter of pure luck which team dominates. People get stressed, get salty, and any real semblance of team play breaks down after just 3 or 4 minutes - which some might say is just Random being Random, but you know what I mean. The only ships I've ever found real success with are Charles Martel and Donskoi, mostly because I can play them at long range, maneuver to avoid damage, and harass the enemy with accurate HE spam. In DD's and BB's, I tend to do very poorly. There's a lot of focus fire, very little support, and no place to hide. I mean, you can use the ship's concealment and smoke, but it's real frustrating.

I hate this map.

So maybe there's no real strategy except to struggle through and be glad when it's over, but if anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Just for reference, my last battle on the map was in a bottom tier Amagi, with 3 battleships, 3 cruisers, and 5 destroyers per side, and Midway vs Midway. There were Gearings and Shimas aplenty, and torpedoes everywhere. I did about 70K damage, no kills, 1 plane shot down, and I believe it was a Fletcher that put the last torp in me. Every time I fired a salvo I had 3-6 ships aiming at me and it was pretty much impossible to angle without running to the edge of the map, which is what our Montana did. I was silly enough to think supporting our destroyers might be a good idea and my initial thought was that if I could get close and brawl a bit I might at least do some good damage and tank for the team. Didn't really work out that way, so maybe I should have sniped? But I hate that.

Spilt milk, eh?

Edited by _Starbuck
f missing

[WOLFB]
Members
2,621 posts
10,640 battles

I didn't find a real strategy on this map. The only way to win is to force your team mate to support DD who caps and kill ennemi DD.  On a small map like Ocean, a Gearing can easily cover a lot of area with his torps hence the importance of killing DD.  Your team will most likely camp at the spawn, especially BB since they have a lot of range. They will not bother pushing, cruiser will either get deleted or snipe near BB and your DD will be all alone like they always are. 

Yeah you really need to force people to do what they are supposed to do, otherwise you lost. Also be carefull with CV on this map, they can quickly become annoying for everyone.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,170 posts
4,934 battles

Ocean is still a thing?:Smile_amazed:

Learn something new every day, I suppose.

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles

Ocean teaches you how to angle and position without the handicap of having a rock to hide behind, and the importance of target prioritization.

I suspect it's so universally hated because the difference between winning and losing is purely player skill; all the extra variables are gone and it all comes down to who can aim best and angle best and Dodge best and target prioritization.

Ocean is about mastery of fundamentals, and I think very few players have the fundamentals down.  That's why I think alot of players don't like it; it forces them to confront the fact that they're not as good at the fundamentals as they thought they were.

Edited by Shadeylark
  • Cool 6

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Ocean is a map that punches people in the face that can’t position themselves. Often why people hate it so much, because it is so unforgiving for the ignorant or starter.

To do well in you need a good situational awareness, because the only way you can hide is by stop firing. This doesn’t mean to stay in the back all the time, but only when you are under heavy fire. 

Those that wander off alone or feel the urge to keep shooting the entire battle while they are being focussed fired will be unsuccesful. Even an Atlanta can contribute on this map.

Edit: Shadeylark was quicker!

Edited by LemonadeWarrior
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
2,941 posts
21,599 battles

I hear it was (Edit: 1 of) the 1st map(s)...& being undetected wasn't a thing. (sorry...my source was confusing WoWs w/another game on the "undetected" aspect of that statement). Thanks for pointing that out so I could clarify & correct that Lert.

I guess after you have the strategy of that down it doesn't matter what kinds of changes they incorporate into the game you should be able to cope pretty well.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[HINON]
Supertester
20,705 posts
14,131 battles
2 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I hear it was the 1st map...& being undetected wasn't a thing.

You heard wrong.

51 minutes ago, Shadeylark said:

Ocean teaches you how to angle and position without the handicap of having a rock to hide behind, and the importance of target prioritization.

I suspect it's so universally hated because the difference between winning and losing is purely player skill; all the extra variables are gone and it all comes down to who can aim best and angle best and Dodge best and target prioritization.

Ocean is about mastery of fundamentals, and I think very few players have the fundamentals down.  That's why I think alot of players don't like it; it forces them to confront the fact that they're not as good at the fundamentals as they thought they were.

NdNGbXC.gif

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,606 battles

Step 1: Cut a hole in a box.

Step 2. Turn before you get shot at. Turn after you shoot. Turn some more.(that's generally my BB play on ocean as I slowly and in a haphazard way zig-zag to cap)

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
1 hour ago, Shadeylark said:

This ^^ 

Ocean is a high skill and unforgiven map, no islands to cover mistakes.

[MIA-P]
Members
665 posts
6,338 battles

In my experience Ocean is all about concentrating fire. You might not be able to disengage easily, but if you have more guns on-target you'll win the battle of attrition. As such you want to play kinda like in a cyclone; stick together, call out targets, sink ships quickly. Hugging the map border is also a pretty good idea, especially since Ocean is surprisingly small. It will make it a lot harder for the enemy team to concentrate their fire.

The few ships with good concealment or smoke are the only ones able to reliably disengage from a firefight, so it's often a good idea for them to be the first to take the brunt of enemy fire. If they can distract the enemy for a while before disappearing without being sunk, it can give your team a clear advantage. BBs can perform a similar role, but only if they stick together and share out the damage between them. A lone BB, or even a BB with friends who lets himeself be focused, will be sunk surprisingly quickly.

[SYN]
Members
15,330 posts
12,155 battles

help your team grab a corner (just not the corner where your team spawned)

If you can secure at least one flank, you can avoid being shot at from that direction.

If your team has failed to capture both flanks, then you are usually screwed

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,683 posts
12,344 battles

Whenever I've had ocean I always say this, (looking at the map and seeing where most ships are positioned determines the cap you head to)

1 DD to a, run if you need to , rest of the team to C don't split up

I have found virtually 100 percent wr when a team does this, as you move as a group, the DD scout ahead for torps and the battle starts and your team moves slowly across to b cap and then defends

Where it falls apart is when you get ca's go b and get spotted and deleted, bb not pushing with main body, and dd not watching their concealment range, 

Edited by CriMiNaL__

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
3 hours ago, _Starbuck said:

I've been playing about a year or a bit longer and can count on my fingers how many times I've seen the Ocean map, but every single time it just confuses the crap out of me...and my team, apparently. I really want to improve and I know my biggest weakness right now is positioning, so I've been working hard on that. I watch a lot of CC videos and watch the forum for tips and tricks, etc. There are a thousand examples of how to use cover, but I've yet to find anything or anyone who has suggestions for team strategy and individual tactics on Ocean, but I know some players out there must have some experience they can share.

I'm bringing this up because I've seen that map like 4 times over the past week or so and every time it seems to be largely a matter of pure luck which team dominates. People get stressed, get salty, and any real semblance of team play breaks down after just 3 or 4 minutes - which some might say is just Random being Random, but you know what I mean. The only ships I've ever found real success with are Charles Martel and Donskoi, mostly because I can play them at long range, maneuver to avoid damage, and harass the enemy with accurate HE spam. In DD's and BB's, I tend to do very poorly. There's a lot of focus fire, very little support, and no place to hide. I mean, you can use the ship's concealment and smoke, but it's real frustrating.

I hate this map.

So maybe there's no real strategy except to struggle through and be glad when it's over, but if anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Just for reference, my last battle on the map was in a bottom tier Amagi, with 3 battleships, 3 cruisers, and 5 destroyers per side, and Midway vs Midway. There were Gearings and Shimas aplenty, and torpedoes everywhere. I did about 70K damage, no kills, 1 plane shot down, and I believe it was a Fletcher that put the last torp in me. Every time I fired a salvo I had 3-6 ships aiming at me and it was pretty much impossible to angle without running to the edge of the map, which is what our Montana did. I was silly enough to think supporting our destroyers might be a good idea and my initial thought was that if I could get close and brawl a bit I might at least do some good damage and tank for the team. Didn't really work out that way, so maybe I should have sniped? But I hate that.

Spilt milk, eh?

I have the best strategy, go back to port, pick another ship and get back in the cue.

[RKLES]
Members
8,959 posts
10,828 battles

You can always use the strategy some kids seem to use. Sing “ How Far I’ll Go” from Moana why trying to cross the white lines of the map...

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,758 battles

Know your own camo, know your enemies camo, keep track of all spotted and unspotted ships. Lawl bow-on-reversing does not work on Ocean.

Help your DDs contest points, help your DDs against their DDs. If you are a BB, go forward, so your cruisers and thereby DDs can push forward. Retreat when getting focused and fade back into undetected, and repeat.

The ONLY map in game that requires you to play like a team to win.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
8 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

The truth to this makes me wish there were size appropriate versions of ocean for all tiers. That you have to make it to a tier 10 match, before your understanding of the fundamentals is all you have, is a travesty.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
2,941 posts
21,599 battles
12 hours ago, Lert said:

You heard wrong.

NdNGbXC.gif

Corrected...+1 for pointing it out so I could get it clarified.

Sign in to follow this