You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

PSA to all CV captains: Assumption Is Deadly

12 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
3,074 posts
7,269 battles

When it comes to CV gameplay, assuming things leads to bad things.

Cases range from everything like dogfight rng to torpedoing seemingly straight-lining ships that are actually turning in. I personally abuse this by making my fighters act afk or seemingly flee when I'm actually setting up a strafe on the advancing enemy fighters.

The one that most affects your team, I have found, is assuming that one flank is safe just because something like an Atlanta or a Des Moines is there.

Case in point, one game I had a few days ago in my Essex vs a Taiho, I decided to send both fighters to defend a group (with just 1 dd and 3 battleships) going to C because the A group had a Des Moines with them.

One unmolested Taiho strike on the A-flank later, I check the A flank and find the Des Moines lagging well behind the rest of the flank, out of gun range of all of the enemy ships. I ask him if he could assist with air defense, but received no response. 

By the middle of the match, a Montana and an Iowa had advanced into B, thus cutting off my fighters from moving to A. Yet still the Des Moines sat far away behind the island.

By the end of the match, the Taiho had gotten in around 4-5 strikes even though I had absolutely decimated his fighter reserves and attacked completely unmolested.

Final xp results after victory have me in the top 3, and the Des Moines second from last, with barely 800 xp on a tier 8-10 victory. I checked his WTR, and he has around 40% wr over 3k games.

Lesson learned, remember that AA ships can be piloted by potatoes as well.

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

Typically the CV is responsible for defending the fleet, providing AA, attacking and sinking all enemy ships, protecting itself, taking all the blame in a defeat and finally, none of the credit in a win. Oh, and spotting the entire map at once

Edited by Capt_h2o
Spelling
  • Funny 8

[TF03]
Members
741 posts
2,806 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_h2o said:

Typically the CV is responsible for defending the fleet, providing AA, attacking and sinking all enemy ships, protecting itself, taking all the blame in a defeat and finally, none of the credit in a win. Oh, and spotting the entire map at once

you left out getting reported every match

• Funny 2

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

I usually tell BBs to follow me when I play an AA ship. Some of those guys have the ability to get into such amazing crossfires that I am like; good luck on your own.

I also prefer giving AA to my DDs instead of BBs.

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

It's also great when it's the BB that has moved 2km from his starting point that wants all the fighter protection

• Funny 1

[-K-]
Members
6,253 posts
10,463 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

It's also great when it's the BB that has moved 2km from his starting point that wants all the fighter protection

^^ so much this.

If you choose to camp in spawn, you don't deserve any added protection.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,020 posts
9,421 battles
5 hours ago, ausanimal said:

you left out getting reported every match

carrier-do-everything.jpg

simple summary.

Hell, takeing out nerfed Midway downed 48 of the other ones planes, still not enough cause they die to the other ships and spread out.

Need a PSA for none CV players -

Members
2,082 posts
3,892 battles
13 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I usually tell BBs to follow me when I play an AA ship. Some of those guys have the ability to get into such amazing crossfires that I am like; good luck on your own.

This is a much smarter idea.  DD's have a much higher impact on most matches than DD's and smart CV's ((Or my potato self)) attempt to wipe out DD's before working on juicier targets.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles
2 minutes ago, Palladia said:

This is a much smarter idea.  DD's have a much higher impact on most matches than DD's and smart CV's ((Or my potato self)) attempt to wipe out DD's before working on juicier targets.

Not only that. You are also close enough to take a nice bite out of the enemy DDs. So you contribute to the game. When protecting a BB this is rarely the case.

• Cool 1

[TF03]
Members
741 posts
2,806 battles
1 hour ago, Palladia said:
14 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

if im playing CV any ship that has AA i try and work out with them the best ships to cover and to work as a team to shut down the other CV and the team and most times it is better to cover the DD with AA, BB can take a hit and heal unless there real bad and unlucky and if the other CV spends there time trying to go for BB i can give them AA cover knowing the DD are safe. The only problem is US CV have a harder time to hit DD then IJN because you can cross drop or force them into a drop.

Members
2,082 posts
3,892 battles
4 minutes ago, ausanimal said:

if im playing CV any ship that has AA i try and work out with them the best ships to cover and to work as a team to shut down the other CV and the team and most times it is better to cover the DD with AA, BB can take a hit and heal unless there real bad and unlucky and if the other CV spends there time trying to go for BB i can give them AA cover knowing the DD are safe. The only problem is US CV have a harder time to hit DD then IJN because you can cross drop or force them into a drop.

And the spread on our dive bombers is worse.  RNG hits them pretty hard and add that onto a super small target and you have to be on your A game with manual drops and hope the target doesn't know how WASD works.

[STW-M]
Members
3,074 posts
7,269 battles
20 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

^^ so much this.

If you choose to camp in spawn, you don't deserve any added protection.

There's also the fact that ships closer to the front have less AA protection as a default result of being closer to the CV.

As a CV player, who would you target? The Yamato hiding behind a bunch of Fletchers, Des Moines, and Montanas or the Z-52 who's trying to cap ahead of the rest of the enemy team and is completely unsupported by his team?

11 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Not only that. You are also close enough to take a nice bite out of the enemy DDs. So you contribute to the game. When protecting a BB this is rarely the case.

Aye, those Minotaurs and Des Moines hiding behind an island are among my greatest obstacles as a CV player. The island blocks one avenue of torpedo attack and the AA will do the rest (namely, shooting down all your planes). If enemy destroyers are capping, you can't stop or even spot them either.

In open water, however, a cruiser-battleship pair under fire will often split off, leading to the cruiser dying under focused fire or being forced out of position and thus leaving the battleship an easy target for my bombers.

As for destroyers that decide to try and snipe me when my team is still in the fight, let's just say we're very happy to accept their donation of damage, xp, and one less torpedo-spewing cap-taking nightmare on the enemy team (30s damage control says hi).

Edited by Avenge_December_7