Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
shotgun2010

Montana deck armor

5 comments in this topic

[ARRGG]
Members
22 posts
1,490 battles

I looked through some montana posts recently regarding her armor, and apparently she has "excellent" deck armor, which is intereting considering it only has 38mm of deck armor. 

is there another layer underneath? or is 38mm all there is...

[TASH]
Members
5,089 posts
9,533 battles

"Deck armor" referring to the vertical protection.  The 38mm deck you see is a weather deck, below that are many layers of armor.  I don't know the values off of the top of my head, but it's thick.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,737 posts
15,946 battles
2 hours ago, shotgun2010 said:

is there another layer underneath? or is 38mm all there is...

You can always use the armor viewer available in game to view her complete armor breakdown. That might answer your question ... hopefully.

• Cool 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,262 posts
6,036 battles

That 38mm (1.5") should be 57mm (2.25") but WG has made numerous mistakes with the Montana's armor scheme. She is missing 114mm (4.5") of STS from the front of her main battery turrets. That is a lot of armor to make disappear.

Members
217 posts
8,577 battles

I think the OP might not understand the layer cake approach to bomb proofing used by the USN fast BBs. You have a thin deck at the top that should arm an AP bomb fuse, then a thick one to absorb the blast, and another thin one at the bottom to mitigate "splinter damage" originating from a partially penetrated section of armor. Montana has a lot more than 38mm of steel between her main deck and the magazines. 

Sign in to follow this