Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hauptmanpanzer

Duca d'Aosta

26 comments in this topic

[DWIND]
Beta Testers
50 posts
7,366 battles

Does 32 hits for 5k damage seem low. It does to me. I shot mostly HE but did fire some AP until it seemed to yield no results. Most of the targets were cruisers but I did hit a BB also at about 12k away. I didn't fair that well, I was sunk rather quickly. I know the Duca doesn't have great staying power, but wow, only 5K damage. RNG ?

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,798 battles

Try use AP 100% of the time for a few matches. You'll feel the difference.

Also the ship over all is ... meh.

• Cool 2

[MIA-P]
Members
3 posts
6,001 battles

Her guns overall are really prone to shattering. She needs IFHE to really take off, though that's the case with 152mm guns in general in my opinion. Expect to shatter on almost everything that's not a DD. It also depends on where you're aiming. Superstructure? Should be getting pens. Armor belt? Don't expect it. Overall the d'Aosta can do work, she just needs the right spec for her to shine. 

Members
329 posts
5,478 battles

Yeah I get the same results. It's the only premium ship that I have regretted buying. She handles well enough although it feels like I'm firing marshmallows and with only 14km range you have to get so close to the enemy you take more fire which the armor just can't deal with.

It would probably do much better with IFHE but getting a captain to 10 points may be more pain than it's worth.

Members
3,978 posts
8,619 battles
1 minute ago, Terkoz said:

Yeah I get the same results. It's the only premium ship that I have regretted buying.

I don't but I'm a collector. That said I only use her in Coop.

[MIA-P]
Members
3 posts
6,001 battles

3 minutes ago, Terkoz said:

Yeah I get the same results. It's the only premium ship that I have regretted buying.

I love her, but that being said, I have a 19 point commander on her. She plays from the back but can use her speed to move to the frontlines quickly. Her guns firing bb pellets don't work, but through fire and the occasional torp hit you can make her do some serious damage. But she needs IFHE for her HE to actually be viable, and you need to position yourself where you can move freely, because her turning radius doesn't do her any favors. 

[DWIND]
Beta Testers
50 posts
7,366 battles

OK, I went back and play her again. I got 57 hits, mostly AP against a Cleveland, Aoba, Omaha and 2 BB's. 15K damage. This is with out a doubt the most worthless waste of money in the game. IFHE I doubt it. I wish I could get my money back. Really really a floating turd if ever there was one.

• Cool 1

[POD]
Members
23 posts
14,070 battles

The Duca is my favorite tier 6 ship. Since her release, I have 260 battle in her, with a win rate of 60%, average damage of 43.6k, and a k/d ratio of 3.2 (I don't know how to put a screen shot of the stats here).

My Cleveland does slightly more damage, but a 51% win rate. I think this is because the Duca's speed allows her to react and alter the course of the battle more. Also, the lower damage could be because I use her to actively hunt enemy dd's. It is the only ship I own that runs RDF, I also do not run IFHE. I do run Demolition Expert. (Complete 19 point captain: 1. PT, EL; 2. AR, LS, EM, 3. DE; 4 CE, RDF). I almost always fly a speed flag on her, and she can evade-tank alot of potential damage, with shells constantly falling just off her stern.

Her utility is considerable, and she's a joy to play. 

I'd recommend giving her another go, and keep experimenting with different styles till you find one that works.

[USCC2]
Members
4,773 posts

It seems strange that with some ships (Aki, Hare, Duca for example) you seem to have to use a load of captain skill points to even make them viable?

I always thought the captain skills were something that enhanced your ship and gave you options, not became a must just to get something out of a ship (well some ships). PM, LS, SE, CE seems to be a regular choice for DDs; now it seems IFHE is required for some too - 14 points. Granted with some bigger ships PT and EM are general choices (CE for some Cruisers).

Speccing a captain should be an enhancement choice; with some ships it seems there is no choice?

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles
6 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

It seems strange that with some ships (Aki, Hare, Duca for example) you seem to have to use a load of captain skill points to even make them viable?

I always thought the captain skills were something that enhanced your ship and gave you options, not became a must just to get something out of a ship (well some ships). PM, LS, SE, CE seems to be a regular choice for DDs; now it seems IFHE is required for some too - 14 points. Granted with some bigger ships PT and EM are general choices (CE for some Cruisers).

Speccing a captain should be an enhancement choice; with some ships it seems there is no choice?

Captain skills are most of the reason Krasny Krym is T5 instead of T4, is that helps give you some insight into the balancing decisions.  When released (she's had some buffs since) her gun stats were nearly identical with Svietlanas, if you gave the KK a zero point captain and the Svietlana both BFT and AFT on her captain.  She had a bit of bonus AA, but nothing to write home about.  Harder hitting torps, but only half the launchers and twice the reload on them.

Basically she was placed in T5 over T4 because you got free BFT/AFT on the ship stats, and then could get it again on the captain.

[USCC2]
Members
4,773 posts
9 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Captain skills are most of the reason Krasny Krym is T5 instead of T4, is that helps give you some insight into the balancing decisions.  When released (she's had some buffs since) her gun stats were nearly identical with Svietlanas, if you gave the KK a zero point captain and the Svietlana both BFT and AFT on her captain.  She had a bit of bonus AA, but nothing to write home about.  Harder hitting torps, but only half the launchers and twice the reload on them.

Basically she was placed in T5 over T4 because you got free BFT/AFT on the ship stats, and then could get it again on the captain.

So she was better to start off with and WG understood the additional potential that could be had through Captain skills; I appreciate that.

But what about those ships that are not on the same level to start off with (albeit they become good ships with the captain skills)?  It still seems strange (IMO) that you start off with a ship that is below par against its piers in tier in the first place, as using logic (and I know that is not absolute in all cases), when you use Captain points to make that below par ship good, you can also use the Captain points to make the average ships better still.

Many thanks for the comparison though, it's a valid point. :Smile_honoring:

[-K-]
Members
6,269 posts
10,480 battles
9 hours ago, TiberiusInferno said:

Her guns overall are really prone to shattering. She needs IFHE to really take off, though that's the case with 152mm guns in general in my opinion. Expect to shatter on almost everything that's not a DD. It also depends on where you're aiming. Superstructure? Should be getting pens. Armor belt? Don't expect it. Overall the d'Aosta can do work, she just needs the right spec for her to shine. 

Agreed.  She needs IFHE for her HE to be truly effective at any reliable damage.  Just don't expect to be setting many fires.

9 hours ago, Terkoz said:

Yeah I get the same results. It's the only premium ship that I have regretted buying. She handles well enough although it feels like I'm firing marshmallows and with only 14km range you have to get so close to the enemy you take more fire which the armor just can't deal with.

It would probably do much better with IFHE but getting a captain to 10 points may be more pain than it's worth.

Her shell velocity is very good, but the range is a definite handicap.  I negated that a bit by running the spotter plane option (versus fighter plane) and using the extended duration spotter plane module in conjuction.  Gives a nice period of being able to outrange most T6 ships while still having adequate shell velocity to hit stuff that far away.

With her stealth and speed, she is also very good at supporting DD's contest caps early, then bailing out before all the BB's focus her.

[DWIND]
Beta Testers
50 posts
7,366 battles

I went back and played a game with the Duca and sure enough we won. So what I found to be working or what made this game a success was :

1. Hide until most enemy ships were dead.

2. Run from the ones that weren't dead.

3. Shoot at all the life boats.

4. Scream "Fung gu" at the survivors floating in life preservers.

5. Make spaghetti then eat it.

6. Sing "That's Amore".

7. Drink wine.

8. Hide again.

That is what seemed to work. I'll follow that recipe like Chef boy r Dee.

• Funny 2

Members
116 posts
8,155 battles

I have found using AP over 10KM is iffy, IFHE helps get more damage out of your HE but since HE damage is low to begin with not huge difference. However her AP can [edited] another CA if you catch them in close and HE DDs because of ROF and velocity, but you have no armor so you must plan your positioning and moves.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,171 posts
4,934 battles

My assessment has been that she bears similarity to Atlanta. No, not in the "blazing dual-purpose machine-gun of freedom!" way, but in the way that she can easily be called a destroyer with a citadel. This is a ship you need to be sneaky with and plan engagements accordingly, and do NOT let that 38 knot speed get you into trouble if you can. I suspect that I made the wrong move putting off getting CE for her captain, something I plan to rectify as soon as possible.

Members
499 posts
1,119 battles

Despite i love this ship, for its speed, maneuverability and looks, it is a Black/White ship for me.

I can get some of its strange 12km torps, even do some fires or citadel other CL with it AP, but other times it gets spotted the first minute by everybody and his dog and erased from the map in seconds.

It is one of my favourite cruisers and made my ranked battles 2years ago with good results.

[4HIM]
Members
2,293 posts
6,863 battles

I only play it in Ops now.  Mostly to grind captain points for it.  Only at 7 points right now (started with 3).  But agree the HE is practically useless and the AP is on the weak side.  Careful with the torps though.  They run so long you could hit yourself in the next battle with them.  

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles

I find that this is a ship that really needs a high skill captain.  Sometimes, you just have to shoot HE.

• Cool 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts

IMHO, the Duca is one of the most beautiful ships in the game but alas, she is made of glass. As a result, I use her almost exclusively in operations to train captains in anticipation of Italian BBs and Cruisers coming..

To get her to work, I have had to stray from the norm in terms of the captain's specs.

This is my current set up which works better than the other arrangements I tried before.

duca-capo.JPG

Members
1,662 posts
14,253 battles

Beautiful port queen, but every other tier 6 cruiser I have is better, so she never gets played.  Don’t even have a Captain for her now...  every ship in the game has supporters that love it, but for me the Duca was the biggest mistake in purchasing I have made - paid cash, great disappointment 

[WOLF3]
Members
19,765 posts
18,135 battles

She's a real fun ship but there are a few big problems.

1.  Very poor gun range, and in a Tier VIII match, if your Spotter Plane is on CD, you got big problems.  14km gun range in a Tier VIII match is laughable a.f.

2.  Super Squishy, but then again, Cruisers are squishy to begin with.

3.  Demands a high points captain to make her even passable.

4.  You have to work extremely hard to stay alive, piling up tons of hits, only to look at the end result of paltry damage.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,623 posts
14,865 battles

Duca is sort of a jack of all trades cruiser.  Capable of all, but master of none.  I find the ship fun to play because it offers so many options depending on the map and match making.  You can't just use it with one style.  You get to adapt the style to the situation.

It can stealth fire torps (long range for tier), and has very good angles; can throw both tubes forward rather quickly with a wiggle right wiggle left.  Great for gap denial.  Recharge is relatively quick too.  My biggest problem is avoiding friendly DDs...the range is so great and the speed so slow...you gotta hold off on many shots you might otherwise take.  Divisioning and comms would help mitigate this issue, but most of my trips are solo.   

It has nice range with the spotter, and can play nuisance on enemy BBs in support of friendly BBs.  While the shells are floaty, they do connect at range.  And the float also make for shots over terrain (keeps you unspotted). They do dismal damage, so the main goal on the big targets is to set a fire. Enemy BBs might begin targeting you, in which case you maneuver and go silent...playing spoiler role in support of friendly BBs.

Although the AA isn't that good, it does have the AA consumable.  When playing the the mid range with BBs, you can run interference on attacking TBD/SBD and either turn them away or pop the consumable to make their attacks less profitable. 

If there is hiding terrain, it makes a good DD hunter.   As DDs like hiding terrain for the same reason the Duca likes it, it makes for good hunting grounds.  Good guns.  Fast ship.  Better armor and hit pool (relative to DDs).  Hydro.  Torps.

Edit:  Oh, because it really is "master of none", it is not a carry ship.  It just doesn't have the umph (the master skill set) to weigh in and make a difference at some point.  It's a support cruiser.  It helps win the game playing the support role.   

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[TMS]
Members
2,386 posts
24,598 battles

I play that ship now and then for fun because it's not much good for anything else.

[CRMSN]
Members
68 posts
12,827 battles

Duca has a very high skill ceiling.  IFHE is a must on this ship or you will just shatter everywhere.  She excels at killing dd's.  She can wreck broadside cruisers with her AP.  She's not very good at engaging BB's though.  Yes, you can get a nice 4k volley with the IFHE hitting BB superstructure and the AP does nice damage too, but you will usually draw the ire of the bb captain who will respond in kind with AP shells that are not so kind.  Priority target helps greatly here.  

The railguns also are poor for shooting over cover, and they seriously lack the range, and damage, of their competition.  It is absolutely an underdog. However I've always liked playing the underdog and trying to do well with it.  Most of the time I do.  If I can avoid getting one-shotted by a BB.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this