You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Scotch_Donkey

Not a fan of the Alabama

29 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts
4,805 battles

Ok.  Not my first post about this, but I cannot figure out the Alabama.  Can't aim, way below average damage - generally stink.  I flat out don't know how to play this ship.  Can't aim at distance - get in close and get nuked.  Aargh.

navy-cat.jpg

Edited by Unholy_Stench
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,187 posts
10,416 battles

Dunno, I kinda like mine though it does not get played much.

shot-18.04.24_22.21.18-0415.jpg

• Boring 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,762 posts
10,986 battles

I don't have it but it should play similar to the North Carolina.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,514 posts
6,171 battles
19 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I don't have it but it should play similar to the North Carolina.

Not at all.

Alpha Tester
1,328 posts
10,470 battles

It's shell travel time is really bad, if you think your leading enough then you probablely not. Use your above average rudder shift and superb turning circle to your advantage. Also remember that you have amazing torp protection and aa as an advantage  as well. You may have slow shells but this means they come in at good angles at closer ranges than most other BBs, this lets you put massive pen damage into the superstructures of bow on BBs. 

[DRACS]
Members
4,431 posts

I personally find like it plays like a slightly closer range and more agile NC. I find her a very comfortable ship to play as she's very responsive. But she can be quite squishy if you're not careful.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,514 posts
6,171 battles
40 minutes ago, Unholy_Stench said:

Ok.  Not my first post about this, but I cannot figure out the Alabama.  Can't aim, way below average damage - generally stink.  I flat out don't know how to play this ship.  Can't aim at distance - get in close and get nuked.  Aargh.

navy-cat.jpg

I love my Alabama.  Treat her as a midrange brawler, if that’s a thing.  10km - 14 km is your sweet spot.

You’ll also have occasional point blank passes with enemy ships in the late game that forget just how powerful those 16”/45s can be.

You’re extremely agile.  Use it!   If you’re bow camping, you’re doing it wrong.  Turn to unmask your rear turret, salvo, then turn back before they can land any hits on you.

Alabama is a fantastic ship.  She’ll flight time is wonky.  Gotta get used to it.

[1IF]
Members
101 posts
3,423 battles

I have a love/hate relationship with the 'Bama.  I love that she's a good boat with some great guns that can pen everything, but she's not a brawler and those shells are floaty.  She has reasonably good concealment for flanking.  My issue is, I can't seem to buy a win with her in randoms.  Before I stopped playing the last ranked season where I ended with a 50% win rate, I was doing rather well with her.  But I've had so few good games with her in Random that I rarely take her out. 

Members
3,038 posts
4,322 battles
33 minutes ago, BatMant1s said:

I have a love/hate relationship with the 'Bama.  I love that she's a good boat with some great guns that can pen everything, but she's not a brawler and those shells are floaty.  She has reasonably good concealment for flanking.  My issue is, I can't seem to buy a win with her in randoms.  Before I stopped playing the last ranked season where I ended with a 50% win rate, I was doing rather well with her.  But I've had so few good games with her in Random that I rarely take her out. 

Those floaty shells give her some of the best vertical dispersion in her tier. 

Those floaty shells are super heavy and retain a lot of punch at range.

Those floaty shells up close are not floaty and pack a huge punch.

[SYN]
Members
15,331 posts
12,175 battles

Keep practicing.

The guns pack punch, but they are slow shells with average accuracy, so they require very precise aim.

• Cool 1

[JASH]
Members
3,706 posts
10,183 battles
50 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Not at all.

Huh? AL is the closest analog to NC in the game bar none.  Their shell velocity--how much their shells float--which I'm sure is what Unholy is struggling with are precisely the same. The 0.1 difference in sigma values is so minuscule as to be insignificant.

[AAA]
Members
641 posts
7,395 battles

I play Bama like the French t8. Bow on her armour is really good. I start slow and let the game mature. Then use her speed and mobility. Never get caught broadside. Her torp protection is awesome and her AA is fantastic. 

She is a mid range ship but I have devastated anything that shows broadside inside 15km. I citidaled a NC at 12 km and took 3/4 hp. Don’t be afraid to use HE against angled ships

[SIM]
Members
3,594 posts
5,723 battles
27 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Keep practicing.

The guns pack punch, but they are slow shells with average accuracy, so they require very precise aim.

:Smile_great:

Exactly this. Go out and keep struggling with the ship. Eventually you'll turn a corner, then guns will start to make sense to you, and you'll discover why so many people like her. It might seem like a chore, but Alabama is worth it.

Members
59 posts
7,235 battles

Shells are slow, allow plenty of lead time.

Concealment expert - use it. You can get your detection range down to a point where u can ambush in certain situatioins and can go dark and reposition when needed. I didnt have concealment Expert on her for my first 50 battles or so and I wasnt all that impressed. I then put CE her plus the Concealment mod and she is a beast.

Do not show broadside while spotted.

practice with the guns. Once you get used to them they can nuke Cruisers at range and any BB that shows you broadside.

She is great once u learn her quirks.

[TDRB]
Members
2,673 posts
7,679 battles

Random battle wins depends on how well the team plays together. I use the word team very loosely. Most randoms are 12 individuals with a common cause, not a team. This does seem to be worse when I play my tier 8 ships. I do not have any t9's or T10's. I'm have no desire fro any at this time because I find more enjoyment in the mid tier randoms.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,514 posts
6,171 battles
8 hours ago, lemekillmister said:

Huh? AL is the closest analog to NC in the game bar none.  Their shell velocity--how much their shells float--which I'm sure is what Unholy is struggling with are precisely the same. The 0.1 difference in sigma values is so minuscule as to be insignificant.

The playstyle is completely different.  If you're going to play her like North Carolina. . . just play North Carolina. . . she will be better at it.

Alabama has to get in closer, and has the agility to use her rear turret.

[SIDE]
Members
2,221 posts

Nice cat. 

Alabama is a good boat. Win it in a container. Ran it in ranked. 

Pros

Turns well, great torp protection, decent AA, hits hard, good range and gets paid...

Cons

dispersion is workable but a little rough over 14km, secondaries are typically US mediocre, back turret can’t hit a broadside carrier at 3km. Costs almost $50 (well spent IMO) unless you win it. 

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

First, cats are bad luck; give it to your dearest crazy cat person and get a dog instead - better to have a friendly dunce than a smart [edited] as a pet.

Second, if you don’t use the dynamic crosshairs, start right now. I could write a paragraph explaining how to use it or you can watch this video:

Third, Alabama has really strong armor when you maintain a low bow or stern angle to the target. Don’t point right at the target; any return fire will land directly on your deck. Instead, point your bow about 15-20 degrees from the target - any low shot from your adversary will hit your belt and bounce off. Same thing goes when positioning enemies on your stern when retreating.

[JASH]
Members
3,706 posts
10,183 battles
3 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

The playstyle is completely different.  If you're going to play her like North Carolina. . . just play North Carolina. . . she will be better at it.

Alabama has to get in closer, and has the agility to use her rear turret.

Don't be silly. NC and AL don't play "completely different"; that's an exaggeration. Their optimal zone of range of engagement are the same, which has everything to do with the reason why the Mk8 module 2 gun control system on NC is the least necessary upgrade for that ship. 21.1 km range for NC, just like with AL, is quite adequate.

To say they're "not at all" similar, particularly in regards to guns and shell performance--the most pertinent comparison regarding the topic of the OP--is just plain and simply false. 

Edited by lemekillmister

[_-_]
Members
2,033 posts
13 hours ago, Unholy_Stench said:

Bama has unsurpassed maneuverability for a BB. Use it to maneuver for opportunity shots in the 10-12km range and let 'er rip.

I actually play mine with a survivability build because stock AA is quite adequate most of the time.

She's not real tanky, though, so watch those angles.

• Cool 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,268 posts
6,042 battles

I really like the Alabama. Yet there are still things that bother me about it that I will still complain about because that's what I do.

- Relatively low health pool makes high-tier HE spam really painful

- Lower main battery sigma than North Carolina is a shame

- Suffers from the same flaws as other high tier USN BBs primarily the gimped 5"/38 secondary battery (which deserves a buff)

• Cool 1