You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KaptainKaybe

Do you have a cursed ... tier?

24 comments in this topic

[DRACS]
Members
4,439 posts

I know we've discussed cursed ships. But I'm curious if any of you have a cursed *tier*. Where for some reason you do well in most tiers, but when you hit this one, nothing ever works.

For me, it's definitely tier 9.

Curiously, the only tier 9 ship I did well in was the Baltimore pre-buff. But I did poorly in FdG after a fantastic career in Bismarck. Lost most matches in the Fletcher of all ships after being an unholy terror in the Benson. Roon for me was so so at best. And now after doing fantastically well in the Z-23, I am crashing and burning hard on Z-46. Decision making is about the same, but I'm finding myself playing a lot with passive teams against much more aggressive ones and dying early far too often for my taste ... sorta what happened with Fletcher.

What about yourselves? Is there one tier when you play that for some reason everything always goes wrong and you desperately long to leave?

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,477 battles

sorry cant say any tiers just ships Hindenburg god I love it but I have an atrocious record in it worst tier 10 for WR but one I love to play

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,770 posts
10,986 battles

No cursed tiers but I do have a few cursed ships, the De Grasse is the poster ship at 6 wins in 20 random matches for a chart topping 30% W/R.

[DRACS]
Members
4,439 posts
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

No cursed tiers but I do have a few cursed ships, the De Grasse is the poster ship at 6 wins in 20 random matches for a chart topping 30% W/R.

Yeah, I too have issues with winning in DeGrasse despite my average damage, K/D and XP in this ship being quite a bit better than server average. Which is too bad as she's reeeeally fun to play.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,770 posts
10,986 battles
2 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Yeah, I too have issues with winning in DeGrasse despite my average damage, K/D and XP in this ship being quite a bit better than server average. Which is too bad as she's reeeeally fun to play.

Yeah and it is supposedly a really good ship. I still need to find my supposedly terrible ship that I excel in. In WoT that tank is the M3 Lee.

Members
3,988 posts
8,628 battles
32 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

sorry cant say any tiers just ships Hindenburg god I love it but I have an atrocious record in it worst tier 10 for WR but one I love to play

I am not so good tier IX & X but so what? There are ships I love to play there. So the short answer is--enjoy thyself and damn the torpedoes.

[RLGN]
Members
10,384 posts
19,666 battles

Tier 8. (Except for Akizuki.)

Was going to say tier ten; but I only have three ships, and that involves more hate than being cursed.

2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah and it is supposedly a really good ship. I still need to find my supposedly terrible ship that I excel in. In WoT that tank is the M3 Lee.

After Halloween last year; wonder if the Lee, Char Bis, and those Russian things will ever get their extra turrets...

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,705 posts
17,319 battles
2 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

ummmm tier X?

Agreed, T10 meta is foreign to me and I really have to change gears to do well there.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,770 posts
10,986 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Tier 8. (Except for Akizuki.)

Was going to say tier ten; but I only have three ships, and that involves more hate than being cursed.

After Halloween last year; wonder if the Lee, Char Bis, and those Russian things will ever get their extra turrets...

At least with the Lee I would like the 37mm to become active outside of the 75's arc and the 47mm for the Char B but realistically as far as WoT is concerned the fChar's 75 doesn't exist because they didn't carry AP for it unlike the Lee which used it's 75 as an anti-tank weapon.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,171 posts
4,944 battles

Seven, I can safely say that tier seven is my hell even in other Wargaming titles. Seven is that awkward tier where you start regularly seeing stuff that has to compete against monsters like the Grosser Kurfurst, Montana, Maus, and Conqueror (both of them); yet you can't be too good so that the little fives and sixes still stand a chance against you. Tier seven brings us awkwardness like the Pensacola, the KV-13, the Colorado, the AMX M4 1945, the horrible matchup that is Ranger vs. Saipan, the T20 medium, the Myoko, etc. and so on. Yet at the same time tier seven also has stuff like the Tiger I, the King George V, the T29, the Scharnhorst, the Hiryu, the Panther, and the Lyon; ships and tanks that are important either in terms of gameplay or history, or even both! Tier seven has by far the largest gap between "wonderful" and "crap" of any tier, and that is why I don't like playing it.

So naturally I'm working on getting two tier seven battleships and two tier seven cruisers, grinding the Gneisenau, and all but one of the Japanese ships I'm currently grinding are tier sevens. Hooray for masochism!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,851 posts
10,417 battles

Oh yes.

Yes I do.

rWC1N3W.jpg

[WORX]
Members
3,873 posts
14,967 battles

Tier 5 and 6 are usually the tiers of death for must people including me. There is just so many combinations of ships in these tiers, so many offensive and defensive combinations that you really have to pay attention too. These tiers are the mind cracker IMO.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,023 posts
9,448 battles

10 - I only have Midway - But I have so many teams that either A: scatter all over so I can't cover them all, B: stay as far from objectives as possible, or C: both it's maddening. You can even see in my stats I'm well over the plane kill average albeit only 25 battles just because of how much time I'm having to dedicate to that end, granted the red team is usually so tightly grouped I can't attack anyway.

9 - Same deal with CV's at this tier with a side of same crap of "everyone hide and don't play the objective" when playing my other ships. Only exception is Iowa, apparently in that ship I cause enough distraction to win over half my matches. Still get sunk early cause focus fired though. 

5-8 depends on the ship - even among the clone ships I can have one at like 60% yet it's exact twin is at 30%. Literally o difference but paint and name, hell, some share captains, yet radically different performance. 

[WOLFB]
Members
2,627 posts
10,651 battles

T7. With WG throwing broken premium at T7, it became unfun to play. Other than that, I'm fine with other tier. 

[HMSC]
Members
400 posts
6,978 battles
7 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I know we've discussed cursed ships. But I'm curious if any of you have a cursed *tier*. Where for some reason you do well in most tiers, but when you hit this one, nothing ever works.

For me, it's definitely tier 9.

Curiously, the only tier 9 ship I did well in was the Baltimore pre-buff. But I did poorly in FdG after a fantastic career in Bismarck. Lost most matches in the Fletcher of all ships after being an unholy terror in the Benson. Roon for me was so so at best. And now after doing fantastically well in the Z-23, I am crashing and burning hard on Z-46. Decision making is about the same, but I'm finding myself playing a lot with passive teams against much more aggressive ones and dying early far too often for my taste ... sorta what happened with Fletcher.

What about yourselves? Is there one tier when you play that for some reason everything always goes wrong and you desperately long to leave?

Mine is T9 also. IJN BB, USN BB, German BB and now struggling with the Fletcher. Play it fine, just have not been lucky. Losing lots of close games. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
134 posts
11,762 battles

Any tier can be cursed for me if the MM is bad or the teams a fail or my play is less then stellar....lol

Members
1,235 posts
5,446 battles

I can't make the Missouri work for some reason, even though I am fine with the NC and the Monty.  I only play it to make credits because I am objectively meh in it.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,478 posts
12,810 battles

I struggle with my T9 ships very badly

[DRACS]
Members
4,439 posts

So my Z-46 'saga' continues.

Lost two in a row just now. The first where I capped and then killed two ships defending said cap. Everyone else border humped and let the enemy team cap everything after I died and win by points despite only having one ship remaining.

Second where we were on Epicenter where the enemy team, led by a Fletcher and two BBs tried to flank us. I had the Fletcher RPFed, told the team. Then had him Hydroed for over a minute and kept pinging him ... while my entire team, several nearby and with line of sight, ignored him, and that DD and the two BBs focused me till I had a sliver of health and I had to run. Could not torp the flanking BBs because the Fletcher was still alive and pushing too. And then my team just lost all ships one by one due to the crossfire.

I don't hate this ship at all. She's a good ship. It's just the the moment I get into tier 9 ships, matchmaking assigns me the "special" class.

Alright ... enough complaining. Time to lose some more until I have enough XP to get into the Z-52. Shouldn't take more than 100 games ... /cry

EDIT: Won 2, Lost 5. Below is pretty typical of the games I've been getting. Died trying to cap A.

z46grindingpains.jpg

Edited by KaptainKaybe