You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rocketmandb

Pro Tip: How to Shoot Torps

27 comments in this topic

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
179 posts
6,693 battles

I've put together what I believe to be the best advice for firing torp spreads that have the best chance at helping the team. I took great pains to put together a detailed diagram with language and graphics that people who need this advice the most will understand. Enjoy, and happy torping.

Spoiler

torps.jpg.3adb474ed929abd240985dce3c05146b.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 21
  • Boring 1

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,441 battles

That looks normal allies in the way of a perfect torp shot while they oblivious cause brawling and stuff ( cause using secondaries is such high skillset)

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,758 battles

No!

Because I believe in my teammates who believe in me who can land torps only on enemy botes even in a brawl. Case in point, last night, situation almost your drawing's exact:

image.png.a4547a0b17aec25ba32f812e824e38d7.png

Edited by NeutralState

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles
1 hour ago, Rocketmandb said:

I've put together what I believe to be the best advice for firing torp spreads that have the best chance at helping the team. I took great pains to put together a detailed diagram with language and graphics that people who need this advice the most will understand. Enjoy, and happy torping.

Hide contents

You can ignore this advice if the friends are friendly DDs and your a Pan-Asian Destroyer!

[XBRTC]
Members
2,744 posts
8,754 battles
53 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Instructions unclear, I just torped my entire team and my neighbor's dog. Send halp plz!

Is the torpedo stuck in your neighbor's dog? This makes a difference.

19 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

No!

Because I believe in my teammates who believe in me who can land torps only on enemy botes even in a brawl. Case in point, last night, situation almost your drawing's exact:

Yeah, no. IDGAF what you did yesterday, because I've been torped entirely too many times by people who think they're good enough to magically levitate their torpedoes straight to the enemy.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,758 battles
11 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Is the torpedo stuck in your neighbor's dog? This makes a difference.

Yeah, no. IDGAF what you did yesterday, because I've been torped entirely too many times by people who think they're good enough to magically levitate their torpedoes straight to the enemy.

The entire human civilization is built on the fundamental concept of "reciprocal altruism". If you are getting friendly torped all the time, consider the possibility that you may be the [edited] and blocks your friendlies' firing solution. Instead of your friendlies have a thing for you. What is more likely?

[XBRTC]
Members
2,744 posts
8,754 battles
1 hour ago, NeutralState said:

The entire human civilization is built on the fundamental concept of "reciprocal altruism". If you are getting friendly torped all the time, consider the possibility that you may be the [edited] and blocks your friendlies' firing solution. Instead of your friendlies have a thing for you. What is more likely?

heh.

Most recently, it was an Edinburgh who was already pink, and torped into me and another DD who were trying to cap. No enemies were visible, though there was smoke. Missed the other friendly DD but hit me.

Time before that, it was a Tirpitz operated by a guy with about 20 battles, period, at any tier, who was shooting 6.5k torps at an enemy about 15-16k away from him. What possible reason would I have had to be concerned about blocking his firing solution?

Time before that, a pink friendly BB was in the enemy cap with me, and being a good teammate. Friendly cruiser starts shooting him. I suggest--politely at first, then much less politely after--that the cruiser knock off shooting teammates. I got torped for it, and then the guy torped a second friendly as well.

Should I keep going back further? I have plenty of these. Most of them I've even got youtube videos for. I'd post them up here so you could judge for yourself, but hey- name-n-shame, so can't do that.

Every time I've gotten torped, it was either someone doing it intentionally or because they were an idiot who thought that they could get away with torping toward friendlies. Just like you do. 

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO

[XBRTC]
Members
2,744 posts
8,754 battles
1 hour ago, NeutralState said:

Ah, hell. Why not. I can at least screenshot some of this for you and block out the names. These are taken from the replays, and when I make these, I generally do two recordings: one showing the direction that I'm looking during the battle, and a second where I just track the guy who pulled the stupid. These are from the second recording.

This is a good one. Look at the minimap. Who is this Myoko trying to torp? I mean, seriously.

tk1-myoko.thumb.PNG.e520bd01d723a079c81c9e32662abf9d.PNG

What about this Shimakaze? I mean, FFS, I'm less than 4k away, and this one was made before we could zoom all the way in on torpedo launches so there's not even a tunnel vision excuse.

tk2-shimakaze.thumb.PNG.4be4d07c0eb89a9b22159835bd4a1d49.PNG

What about this one? You can see on the minimap that the nearest enemy is at about the 9.1k ring on my minimap. This is a long-range torpedo shot for that East German Disco, not some random OMG IT WAS AN ACCIDENT thing. At least the ship is already pink, though, right from the beginning.

5ae0176b8b212_tk3-eastgermandisco.thumb.PNG.08ea812f8bcb4d79b7b2f2719c8555dc.PNG

This one's while we're still in spawn.

5ae0187437353_tk4-oldfubuki.thumb.PNG.f80b674adaf1a188f786db8f29de27ef.PNG

Then his next act:

5ae0191b2ae6b_tk5-bob2.thumb.PNG.0a174237f23c8304ae260991ee044caf.PNG

Why? Good question. We asked too. Apparently he was bitter that there were T10 ships in his T8 game. Of course, that doesn't explain why he torped the NoCar, but w/e.

Oh, here's the Derpitz I was talking about earlier. You see the Republique and the Kurfurst? You see me capping? You see the Derpitz outside the cap, torping? Who's he shooting at? What's he think he's going to hit?

5ae01c76df1a6_tk6-derpitz1.thumb.PNG.1b951ef3e6fa1fd9b384612dbbc2827c.PNG

Since you can't see the minimap on that one, here's a nice clear view of it, just so you can be sure.

5ae01c81e17ff_tk6-derpitz2.thumb.PNG.87448d13ec3c78e1e27fa88380716dd2.PNG

What I'm getting at here is that I don't give a flying [edited] how good you think you are with your torpedoes. 

I do not trust you torping near me, just because your intentions are pure. I do not trust anyone torping near me. Take your "reciprocal altruism" and store it somewhere uncomfortable. 

And I don't mean the back seat of a Volkswagen.

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,683 posts
12,344 battles

Its not hard to fire torps at all, press LMB, simple

• Funny 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,170 posts
4,934 battles

I'd say I've seen about... Eh, 33/33/34 results from firing into melee. That being 33% enemies hit, 33% allies hit, 34% no hits. It's just not something that ends well from where I'm sitting, and I'll freely admit to turning pink once or twice because of torps, I'm no saint. I do find that Normandies make good torp shields though.

And seriously, if a DUCA 5km behind you whose fish are visible for that ENTIRE 5km is what gets you, you have no-one to blame but yourself for being TKed.

[FML]
Members
2,530 posts
12,050 battles
8 hours ago, Rocketmandb said:

Hide contents

Everyone knows that friendly cannot be hit by torps, they go right under them every time.  Fire when ready. 

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,719 posts
7,007 battles

I've only been deliberately teamkilled once, but I've come close accidentally quite a few times. I will always forgive accidental TK's, never report them, because when you've had it done deliberately, you KNOW. (The guy fired on me several times on the way to the battle zone, then put four torps into my smoke when I was badly damaged by his shenanigans and trying to hide from the enemy as well).

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,758 battles
10 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Ah, hell. Why not. I can at least screenshot some of this for you and block out the names. These are taken from the replays, and when I make these, I generally do two recordings: one showing the direction that I'm looking during the battle, and a second where I just track the guy who pulled the stupid. These are from the second recording.

This is a good one. Look at the minimap. Who is this Myoko trying to torp? I mean, seriously.

tk1-myoko.thumb.PNG.e520bd01d723a079c81c9e32662abf9d.PNG

What about this Shimakaze? I mean, FFS, I'm less than 4k away, and this one was made before we could zoom all the way in on torpedo launches so there's not even a tunnel vision excuse.

tk2-shimakaze.thumb.PNG.4be4d07c0eb89a9b22159835bd4a1d49.PNG

What about this one? You can see on the minimap that the nearest enemy is at about the 9.1k ring on my minimap. This is a long-range torpedo shot for that East German Disco, not some random OMG IT WAS AN ACCIDENT thing. At least the ship is already pink, though, right from the beginning.

5ae0176b8b212_tk3-eastgermandisco.thumb.PNG.08ea812f8bcb4d79b7b2f2719c8555dc.PNG

This one's while we're still in spawn.

5ae0187437353_tk4-oldfubuki.thumb.PNG.f80b674adaf1a188f786db8f29de27ef.PNG

Then his next act:

5ae0191b2ae6b_tk5-bob2.thumb.PNG.0a174237f23c8304ae260991ee044caf.PNG

Why? Good question. We asked too. Apparently he was bitter that there were T10 ships in his T8 game. Of course, that doesn't explain why he torped the NoCar, but w/e.

Oh, here's the Derpitz I was talking about earlier. You see the Republique and the Kurfurst? You see me capping? You see the Derpitz outside the cap, torping? Who's he shooting at? What's he think he's going to hit?

5ae01c76df1a6_tk6-derpitz1.thumb.PNG.1b951ef3e6fa1fd9b384612dbbc2827c.PNG

Since you can't see the minimap on that one, here's a nice clear view of it, just so you can be sure.

5ae01c81e17ff_tk6-derpitz2.thumb.PNG.87448d13ec3c78e1e27fa88380716dd2.PNG

What I'm getting at here is that I don't give a flying [edited] how good you think you are with your torpedoes. 

I do not trust you torping near me, just because your intentions are pure. I do not trust anyone torping near me. Take your "reciprocal altruism" and store it somewhere uncomfortable. 

And I don't mean the back seat of a Volkswagen.

Top kek.

You think your screenshots proved your point, but they did not. You were clearly SAILING INTO INNNNTOOO their torpedo solutions. The ships fired the torps needs a lesson on "effective salvos", but you, in all those pictures, are sailing right into their torp solutions.

Your own fault.

if you looked at the video i've posted in the above reply. You'd noticed the two BBs on my team, not only left my torpedo solutions clear, but maintained a predictable course (does not mean straight line, but predictable) to give me a clear shot. You clearly were not doing any of that in your screenshots. 

If you are so sure that all of them were your teammate's fault. Post the actual replays.

Edited by NeutralState

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,170 posts
4,934 battles
4 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Top kek.

You think your screenshots proved your point, but they did not. You were clearly SAILING INTO INNNNTOOO their torpedo solutions. The ships fired the torps needs a lesson on "effective salvos", but you, in all those pictures, are sailing right into their torp solutions.

Your own fault.

It's his fault that his allies tried to get hail-Mary shots and forgot to account for the fact that there was a friendly ship in the way? Seriously, look at that last one, there's literally NO WAY that Tirpitz could hit anything except a friendly. His torp range is 6km and the nearest enemy is at least TWICE that distance away.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,270 battles
  • Be in range
  • Be in arming range
  • Know what is around you
  • Enemy must not be the opposite direction
  • Hold your fire

[SUPEN]
Members
230 posts
14,553 battles
15 hours ago, Rocketmandb said:

Hide contents

I shot the S out of your ilands

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,758 battles
27 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

It's his fault that his allies tried to get hail-Mary shots and forgot to account for the fact that there was a friendly ship in the way? Seriously, look at that last one, there's literally NO WAY that Tirpitz could hit anything except a friendly. His torp range is 6km and the nearest enemy is at least TWICE that distance away.

Once a blue moon, maybe not his fault. But he clearly runs into the situation on a regular basis. Then yes, it is his fault for have zero consideration for his teammates. 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,758 battles
20 minutes ago, Ariokk said:

I shot the S out of your ilands

Isn't Ariokk that bird people from world of warcraft?

[WOLF3]
Members
19,720 posts
18,080 battles
15 hours ago, LordGomes said:

I'm not sure I understand. I should shoot at the green ships? Oh, okay then.

Green means they're good to go to fire at.  It's like a Green Light after all!

• Cool 1