Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

Torpedo Acceleration Calculations and Asashio

9 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,551 posts
25,610 battles

So I could use some help with calculating the potential benefits of the Torpedo Acceleration skill for a given ship. Specifically Asashio but I’m also wondering about Gearing. 

Shortening “reaction time” for your targets with 900m detection seems silly. They won’t have time to turn or change speed unless another ship spots the torps first. However, reducing travel time to target might make a difference. 

Heres how I think I should calculate this assuming targets are 15 km away:

[15 / (67 * 1.85 * 5)] * 3,600 = 87 seconds to target 

[15 / (72 * 1.85 * 5)] * 3,600 = 81 seconds to target 

That’s an improvement of 6 seconds, or 7% if you prefer. How important would that 6 seconds be in terms of increasing the probability of hitting a target, intended or otherwise?  I honestly don’t know.

Here’s the problem for Asashio. It’s a Premium ship but I don’t want Torpedo Acceleration on any of my other IJN DDs. Adreneline Rush is just too big a benefit, and I’m going to need RPF for this little beastie to avoid enemy DDs.  Even for a dedicated captain, would I give up the 10% reduction in Torp Reload time for the faster Torpedo speed?  My standard IJN DD captain build is PM, LS, SE, CE, TAE, AR, and RL. http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011011000000000001119

Speaking of ship builds, I tried Torpedo Acceleration on Gearing partly because I didn’t want 16 km torps.  They can produce unintended consequences in terms of team damage.  Ultimately I kept the 16 km torps because i

BTW it took me forever to find out that speeds in this game are all accelerated by a factor of 5. I was calculating Reaction Time and kept getting answers that were WAY off until I found an old post.  CORRECTION: added conversion factor of 1.85 for knots to kilometers. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[SF-E]
Members
356 posts
10,075 battles

I am not sure if I am correct here as well.

First, we need to get our units right. The speed of the torpedoes is in knots while the distance is in km.

1 knot = 1.85 km/hr

I would formulate the following: 67 knots * 1.85 km/hr = 123.95 km/hr torpedo speed

15km / 123.95 km/hr * 60 min/hour = 7.26 minute travel time

Compensate for game compression factor of 5: 7.26 min/5 = 1.45m or 87.12 seconds to target

Using the same process for the 72kt torpedoes yields an 81 second travel time to target.

Summary:

87.12 seconds to a 15km target with 67kt torpedoes

81 seconds to a 15km target with 72kt torpedoes

Could anyone check my numbers and approach?

Edited by _Big_Lou_
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,861 posts
10,762 battles

The time compression factor in game is about 5.22. Torp speed are in knots which is 1.852 km/h. So it will take about 87 seconds for a 67kt fish to reach 15km and 78 seconds for a 72kt one.

Edited by chewonit

[-AA-]
Members
1,735 posts
6,657 battles

Dam, its IJN, I thought it was a PA destroyer. Well, I already use TA on my Shima (2nd set of torps) so I am good to go. 

I don’t understand your formula...

[-GPS-]
Members
2,551 posts
25,610 battles
1 hour ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

I am not sure if I am correct here as well.

First, we need to get our units right. The speed of the torpedoes is in knots while the distance is in km.

1 knot = 1.85 km/hr

I would formulate the following: 67 knots * 1.85 km/hr = 123.95 km/hr torpedo speed

15km / 123.95 km/hr * 60 min/hour = 7.26 minute travel time

Compensate for game compression factor of 5: 7.26 min/5 = 1.45m or 87.12 seconds to target

Using the same process for the 72kt torpedoes yields an 81 second travel time to target.

Summary:

87.12 seconds to a 15km target with 67kt torpedoes

81 seconds to a 15km target with 72kt torpedoes

Could anyone check my numbers and approach?

Thanks very much for the correction!  I’ve edited the OP to add the 1.85 knot to kilometer conversion.  I really appreciate the constructive approach  very much. 

The formula is Distance divided by (speed in knots times 1.85 times acceleration factor of 5) times 60 minutes per hour times 60 seconds per hour. 

Members
842 posts

You don't really even have to worry about the exact numbers.

All you need to know is relative improvement.

In this case, it's from 67 to 72 knots:  72/67 = 7.4% improvement.  And yeah, since the reaction time is already so low due to really good concealment, that improvment only applies to time-to-target.

That hardly seems any benefit over AR, which lets you put more torps in the water.

Beta Testers
1,439 posts

Since these torps have such low reaction time, TA is not going to make any practical difference in hit rate.

However it does make a difference when it comes to firing them at long range (with TA it would be 16km tops) as it allows the torps to reach the distant targets faster..which lowers the chance of the ship changing course.

Also, coupled with torp reload, this allows the ship to toss torps at known BB travel paths/choke points very early in the game (aka battle starts, hit torp reload a few seconds in and fire torps at said choke points.. by the time the torps reach max range (aka the choke point) you will have reloaded and you will be in a firing position to hit the same BBs that would come through that choke point from a different angle.

Its very effective.

[UEFN]
Members
472 posts
12,949 battles

when you're launching torps toward a BB sailing away from you, i found the extra range is more useful than +5 knots.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,462 posts
9,896 battles

On my Shima, I've found the 20km torps to be too long ranged in the late game for safety. I ended up using islands for backstops until I went to the 12km torps.

I haven't picked up the Asashio, but I can see the same thing happening.

Sign in to follow this