You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

coop bots a bit too aggressive - TK punishment

18 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,284 posts

So today, working on the HSF Yamato ten-pack mission in coop, I got nailed by our friendly bot carrier. I was going head to head with a Gearing not more than 3.5km off my bow. Here come friendly torps, port-side, which was almost scraping an island, big as life, a very well placed drop on the Gearing... except all but two of the carriers torps hit me. 

Good old Midway bot player - and I am naming names - :Crutchley. 

I would have been sunk by his torps had not the reds carrier did another drop starboard, of which - you guessed it - only one hit me, finishing me off. 

So maybe, just maybe developers, you may want to dial back the aggressive behavior of friendly bot carriers when a friendly is CLEARLY going to get nuked? 

tiafyc

Edited by Herr_Reitz
  • Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,315 posts
9,621 battles

The bots not paying attention to where friendlies are goes back to alpha and is why there is no team damage in operations. If the bots are not aggressive they simply become even easier targets than they are now.

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles
19 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So today, working on the HSF Yamato ten-pack mission in coop, I got nailed by our friendly bot carrier. I was going head to head with a Gearing not more than 3.5km off my bow. Here come friendly torps, port-side, which was almost scraping an island, big as life, a very well placed drop on the Gearing... except all but two of the carriers torps hit me. 

Good old Midway bot player - and I am naming names - :Crutchley. 

I would have been sunk by his torps had not the reds carrier did another drop starboard, of which - you guessed it - only one hit me, finishing me off. 

So maybe, just maybe developers, you may want to dial back the aggressive behavior of friendly bot carriers when a friendly is CLEARLY going to get nuked? 

tiafyc

I suspect it may be a flaw in the auto drop attack coding since did not used to be at risk of hitting allies and recently hit some with auto drop attacks I was testing.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,594 posts
10,056 battles

I love how bot DDs sail right up to a friendly - then park the ship until torps become ready.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,284 posts
11 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The bots not paying attention to where friendlies are goes back to alpha and is why there is no team damage in operations. If the bots are not aggressive they simply become even easier targets than they are now.

Oh I understand that - however, I think it might be time to revisit the subject of bots dealing TK damage to the green team. I'm not particularly asking for easier bots, just don't want them TK'ing their team mates. This is what I mean by making them less aggressive... Don't know but they should be able to dial down aggressive drops in such a scenario. As in, if a friendly is within X meters of the target wait until they clear out or get sunk. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
Just now, Herr_Reitz said:

Oh I understand that - however, I think it might be time to revisit the subject of bots dealing TK damage to the green team. I'm not particularly asking for easier bots, just don't want them TK'ing their team mates. 

Yeah but co-op should be as much like randoms as possible. Just remember to never get in front of a torpedo armed bot.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,284 posts
Just now, BrushWolf said:

Yeah but co-op should be as much like randoms as possible. Just remember to never get in front of a torpedo armed bot.

I did not get in his way he came to me, came after a DD from across the map, dropped torp. Carrier, not a destroyer. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
7 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I did not get in his way he came to me, came after a DD from across the map, dropped torp. Carrier, not a destroyer. 

You got in front of the planes. :Smile-_tongue:

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You got in front of the planes. :Smile-_tongue:

I did not care if I will go pink... AA gunners you heard the orders correctly, OPEN FIRE on those green planes before they kill us all!!! 

:cap_rambo::cap_look:

• Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
14,624 posts
10,955 battles

still possible to lose in a 15 bot match, because green bots are stupider than red bots.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
58 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

still possible to lose in a 15 bot match, because green bots are stupider than red bots.

Yeah, that never ceases to amaze me how the green bots are so stupid.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,828 posts
4,095 battles

I once had a friendly bot deliberately launch torps at me for no apparent reason with no enemy nearby. I thought it was a real player trying to TK me intentionally.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,964 posts
18,842 battles
2 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

I once had a friendly bot deliberately launch torps at me for no apparent reason with no enemy nearby. I thought it was a real player trying to TK me intentionally.

I have seen this several times, bots firing torps even when NO enemy bots were spotted. It seems intentional, very odd behavior. In a match where there are bot ships on the human team, I make it a point to warn everyone to stay well behind the "friendly" bot ships and never ever sail alongside them. I always let the bots go to the front, following well behind, and let them be meat shields for the humans. Having our bots killed early in a match makes the map a much safer place....

One interesting thing about friendly bots is they actually start doing well later in the game assuming they survive. Their behavior becomes far less weird as they go for caps, pursue enemy ships, and flee when outgunned. Most of my 14k games are in co-op and most of those are in the wee hours when you get a lot of bots on the team and I have been surprised at late game bot behavior, almost impressed. In one match it was me (in a Tirptiz) and a half health bot cruiser against a surviving red BB. When I spotted the enemy bot I made towards him but our cruiser turned away and headed towards a cap instead. I fired to get spotted and drew fire from the enemy BB but he continued to pursue our cruiser. It was almost like our cruiser was "kiting" the BB as he fled to get the cap since he was a fairly easy kill. It amazed me that the enemy bot kept shooting at me while pursuing the cruiser and the friendly bot had the presence of mind to flee almost certain death.

Edited by Taylor3006

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,545 posts
3,645 battles
17 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Uh, maybe for the player team, but I JUST saw an enemy Nelson destroy an enemy Normandie by firing into melee (Normandie was ramming our Normandie, both bots).

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
5 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Uh, maybe for the player team, but I JUST saw an enemy Nelson destroy an enemy Normandie by firing into melee (Normandie was ramming our Normandie, both bots).

Ok, that makes sense.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,964 posts
18,842 battles
7 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Almost all of my TKs have been "friendly" bots doing exactly this. They get right up to the enemy bots and stop close by to fight, often backing up for reasons known only to the AI. I play at lower tiers as well with ships that have crappy dispersion so inevitably I get hits on the friendly ships causing fires that sink them. The controlling AI is pretty terrible. On the Solomon Islands map I was blasting away at the bots in the mid gap (Standard battle) with my Konig Albert when a human player working off his pink decided to rush in the middle of the fight. I fired my guns and of course one shell sailed off on its own and stuck him, didn't sink him, just damaged him. After the match he gave me a nice little berating in private chat about what a terrible player I was...  Was the first time I used the blacklist feature.

Edited by Taylor3006