You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Massachusetts - The U.S. brawler I've been waiting for since Beta!

48 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,386 battles

I'm very excited about the new Massachusetts stats they are testing.  FINALLY a brawling focused USN ship!  Not only that, it's my favorite class of US battleship!  So much awesomeness.  If you guys want to offer an "Ultimate" package for this ship with some kind of fancy (but not ridiculous) camo scheme. . . sign me up!

I know there are a lot of haters out there.  But that's literally true for every new premium that comes out.  A vocal minority is hating it because its not like some other ship, or its Tier 8, or its a battleship, or its a U.S. ship and not some other nation, or because brawling in U.S. battleships is suicide, or because it's going to suck.  Ignore these people!  Give us, AT LAST, our close combat US battleship.  You couldn't have picked a better candidate than a South Dakota class.  Small, maneuverable, and tough, with big guns and good armor.

Just make sure it stays nice and maneuverable, as we'll need it for those Torpedobeats, and give us those delicious "brawling range" secondaries you're testing!

Thank you WG!!

. . . and to those of you hating on the ship for one reason or another.  Don't buy it, and pipe down.  It's nearly done anyway.  They're better off finishing it and releasing it since it's 99% there.  Might as well get their ROI for the work they've put in to this point.

• Cool 8
  • Bad 11

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,386 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

Yay another T8 premium . . .

6Yq3Er0.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't mark your comment boring, while simultaneously flag your meme as funny.  So congrats to you.

[HINON]
Members
9,317 posts
12 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Unfortunately, I can't mark your comment boring, while simultaneously flag your meme as funny.  So congrats to you.

Yeah I should have added a sarc tag haha. I don't mind more cool battleships and I look forward to her eventual addition. I am usually more excited by hulls that arent in the game though :cap_haloween:

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,495 posts
3,803 battles

It would be cool if they provided a passive increase to her secondaries dispersion. That would really make it a must buy for me.  Like a built in manual secondarie skill. 

[_USS_]
Members
335 posts
10,267 battles

better armor then Ala., 20 127mm guns,  basically an Atlanta on her sides. 7.5 km range base........take         my      money please    

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,032 posts
6,492 battles

It’s not even a brawler for [edited] sake, all they did was give the terrible secondaries a range buff in exchange for making your main guns worse. It doesn’t solve the fact that the secondaries are still utter trash, or the fact that the ships armor scheme is tied with the Japanese for being the least well suited for close range brawling.

There are ways you COULD make this a brawler, but in the current state it is not. Telling people to just shut up and trust WG is not a viable solution here.

• Cool 7
  • Bad 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,567 posts
13,172 battles

The 5" /38 doesn't have the ROF or fire chance to make them even competitive with German secondaries, the sigma nerf means frustrating gameplay and the armor doesn't compare to German armor either. I can see what WG is trying here, but they've missed the mark.

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,895 posts
15,672 battles
16 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

Telling people to just shut up and trust WG is not a viable solution here.

Trust? WG? Surely, Shirley; you jest!

[-K-]
Members
5,454 posts
9,396 battles
12 minutes ago, Lert said:

The 5" /38 doesn't have the ROF or fire chance to make them even competitive with German secondaries, the sigma nerf means frustrating gameplay and the armor doesn't compare to German armor either. I can see what WG is trying here, but they've missed the mark.

As you always say Lert, we'll have to wait and see what the final product becomes.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,567 posts
13,172 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

As you always say Lert, we'll have to wait and see what the final product becomes.

Very fair point.

• Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,766 posts
5,358 battles

Yeah I am in the wait and see camp. I think they need to do more before I would buy it. 

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,945 posts
4,837 battles

I can't wait to roll in my Tirpitz and see some Mass duder roll up on me thinking he can brawl with me.

"Lolz, this guy thinks he's German......ready the torps!"

[SALVO]
Members
17,652 posts
18,478 battles
35 minutes ago, Lert said:

I believe that all nations' BBs (except those already possessing good secondaries) should have their secondaries buffed in some way to make them competitive.  Regarding the USN's 5" secs, it seems to me that the way to make this happen would be to just improve their RoF.  Individually, they may not have the pop of BBs possessing 6" gun secondaries, but a higher rate of fire combined with a decent fire chance would seem to create an alternative way to create "good secondaries".

Also, I really wish that they'd remove the manual secondaries skill, because right now, the accuracy of secondaries without that skill is largely pretty poor.  What I'd like to see is a significant buff to general secondary accuracy across the board, so that ManSec wasn't nearly mandatory for anyone wanting to have reasonably effective secondaries.

Would such a change turn, say, high tier USN BBs into brawlers?  Not really, because as you point out, Lert, USN BB armor really isn't designed with short range combat in mind.  However, it would make those USN BBs less toothless if they feel the need to move into secondary range.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,538 posts
51 minutes ago, Lert said:

Food for the El-Slashio?

[PVE]
Members
445 posts
9,313 battles

premiums lately have been really hit and miss.

I really don't see how OP is getting so excited. Seems a bit odd.

Members
2,668 posts
7,977 battles

Its a bad brawler so far, give more range to the secundaries and a nice heal dont make the ship a good brawler. Massachusetts still has poor armor, the secundaries dont have the damage/pen or the RoF to be effective and the ship is kinda slow. And now the ship has poor guns too. 

I dont know what WG wants, they took a good ship (Alabama) and made it into a meh ship. 

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,411 posts
4,025 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

The placement of them could make it viable Imo. Because that's where German secondaries are not so great, because they can't fire straight ahead. If they can fire ahead so the ship remains bow on with the consumables it has, it could be interesting.

[PVE]
Members
6,414 posts
11,376 battles

Lots of people said the French BB'S wouldn't be good brawlers because "not German" and yet they are darn good at it.

A small ROF and fire chance buff and the secondarys could be decent.  The armor isn't impervious to all damage but it is better than some give credit for.

The thing that is a turn off to me is the 1.7 sigma. That is too much of a nerf. 1.8 would be more reasonable.

I will get the ship if it comes out.

[SVF]
Members
988 posts
1,341 battles
19 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

A small ROF

The odds of WG actually giving the USN 127mm/38 secondary mount a reload buff are small imo.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,041 posts
9,568 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

I guess they should just keep the sigma the same, but increase the 5”/38s to 3.3s reload like the DDs. It would make her an interesting brawler but not handicap anyone who uses her in a more traditional BB role.

Edited by SavageTactical

[HINON]
Supertester
19,567 posts
13,172 battles
1 minute ago, SavageTactical said:

I guess they should just keep the sigma the same, but increase the 5”/38s to 3.3s reload like the DDs. It would make her an interesting brawler but not handicap her for normal BB tactics.

Could do.