You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Today April 19th, 2018 Marks the 29th Anniversary of the USS Iowa explosion

111 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,191 posts
5,662 battles

For me the dread day is here, I talked about this in a thread earlier last week. On April 19th, 1989 while conducting gunnery exercises off Puerto Rico, Turret two exploded at 9:53 AM. Today if you have an Iowa or Missouri sail them in remembrance of the 47 who died that day.

1280px-USS_Iowa_BB61_Iowa_Explosion_1989.jpg

• Cool 17

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,472 posts
4,055 battles

I don't have the Iowa, but I will take the Missouri out for a match. Thank you for your service, and may those who lost their lives rest in peace.

• Cool 3

[VOP]
Members
329 posts
6,760 battles

I do not have either of those ships ..yet. But I will play all of my US BB's tonight in remembrance of the 47. Semper Fi! :Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
14 minutes ago, Panbun said:

I don't have the Iowa, but I will take the Missouri out for a match. Thank you for your service, and may those who lost their lives rest in peace.

4 minutes ago, USMCGal said:

I do not have either of those ships ..yet. But I will play all of my US BB's tonight in remembrance of the 47. Semper Fi! :Smile_honoring:

50 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

For me the dread day is here, I talked about this in a thread earlier last week. On April 19th, 1989 while conducting gunnery exercises off Puerto Rico, Turret two exploded at 9:53 AM. Today if you have an Iowa or Missouri sail them in remembrance of the 47 who died that day.

I also do not have the Iowa, but my Alabama will be used to remember these shipmates.:Smile_honoring:

[WOLF6]
Members
300 posts
4,331 battles

The Missouri and the North Carolina will sail in honor of Iowa's fallen today .

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,387 battles

As a major detail to the investigation, we were actually at war when this happened.

The ship needed to be kept combat-ready, so the damaged area was secured, cleaned up, painted over.

The cause was using incorrect powder bags with the selected projectiles.  They were trying to set a new record for the range of the main guns.  They were pushing the envelope.

The warnings were literally stamped on the sides of the bags and projectiles used.

--- and then it was blamed on one of the victims ---

The accused families wanted an investigation..  Hey..  ship at war..  all painted over.

Records were destroyed but depot inventory revealed what actually happened.  The Navy and FBI quietly took appropriate corrective action.

These are wonderful machines that can change the world...  but we don't always put the right people in charge.

My condolences to the victims.  As military men, we can be expected to give our lives for our country.  But this was different.

• Bad 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
283 posts
9,590 battles

My Missouri will be on the open sea as well. 

[-B-Z-]
Alpha Tester
712 posts
2,602 battles

I served in the RCN and had numerous exercises with the USN. I recall when the news of that reached us and we were all saddened by the loss of life. I'll be sure to sail my Missouri at some point today. :Smile_honoring:

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,191 posts
5,662 battles
15 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

As a major detail to the investigation, we were actually at war when this happened.

The ship needed to be kept combat-ready, so the damaged area was secured, cleaned up, painted over.

The cause was using incorrect powder bags with the selected projectiles.  They were trying to set a new record for the range of the main guns.  They were pushing the envelope.

The warnings were literally stamped on the sides of the bags and projectiles used.

--- and then it was blamed on one of the victims ---

The accused families wanted an investigation..  Hey..  ship at war..  all painted over.

Records were destroyed but depot inventory revealed what actually happened.  The Navy and FBI quietly took appropriate corrective action.

These are wonderful machines that can change the world...  but we don't always put the right people in charge.

My condolences to the victims.  As military men, we can be expected to give our lives for our country.  But this was different.

Pretty much everything you said is incorrect. First, we were not wat war. Second, we were not using incorrect powder bags, we were firing a reduced charge load. We were not trying to set a record, we did that a couple of months before. The accident was caused by an accidental over ram of the powder bags which caused them to explode with the breach still open. Please don't make up stuff about a subject you are not familiar with.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
776 posts
5,764 battles
2 hours ago, Belthorian said:

USS Missouri is on alert-status 5 and prepared to set sail today.

#anchorsaweigh

#semperfidelis

#ussiowa

#ussmissouri

dark.png

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,026 posts
3,845 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

Pretty much everything you said is incorrect. First, we were not wat war. Second, we were not using incorrect powder bags, we were firing a reduced charge load. We were not trying to set a record, we did that a couple of months before. The accident was caused by an accidental over ram of the powder bags which caused them to explode with the breach still open. Please don't make up stuff about a subject you are not familiar with.

Well said, sir. Iowa was always leading the way with developments in 16" gunnery, but not on the 19th. What happened that morning was simply a tragic accident that could have happened to any one of the four. I again send my condolences...it was a dark day on the Big J when we got word of our fallen shipmates aboard Iowa.

[WOSV]
Members
324 posts
2,063 battles

Though I may not have Iowa, my best buddy does. I will be sure to get him on today and take her out. I only have North Carolina, but it won't stop me from taking her out in remeberance of her bigger sister. 

God Bless those who served. For those who journeyed into the howling dark and did not return, your sacrifice enobled us all, and you shall not be forgotten. o7

My sincerest condolences to you Belthorian on this dark anniversary. We stand with you, Military and Civilian.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,387 battles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_turret_explosion

FACT:  The weapons tests were unauthorized.

Edited by AVR_Project

Members
168 posts
7,659 battles

Just a preemptive strike here. There are many conflicting narratives regarding the incident, and we all are free to make our own interpretation of the official reports and those alternatives offered by journalists and witnesses. Please don't let disagreement over the cause of the explosion turn into personal attacks on other forum posters.  

Edited by rapier_ape
Spelling
  • Cool 2

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles
4 hours ago, Belthorian said:

They really need to have a different emogi upvote than "cool" .  They need one that just is a sign of support. There was nothing cool about that training accident, but I do like your mention of the event anniversary.

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles

It continues to burn me up how the US Navy slandered Clayton Hartwig as doing this because of some (depressed gay lover suicide via a "hair cream bomb") cow dung, when in fact he had been just resigned to being an Embassy Guard in Moscow ( a coveted prestigious and gravy job) and a sure step to higher things, for being an excellent sailor with a good record of performance . His reassignment ,as I understand it, was why they  had  green sailor with no experience at all in operating the ammo ram instead of  Hartwig himself who had much experience doing so. 

Edited by Strachwitz666

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,026 posts
3,845 battles
22 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_turret_explosion

FACT:  The weapons tests were unauthorized.

I wouldnt exactly trust wikipedia when given the opportunity to actually converse with someone that not only served on Iowa, but was there when the event took place. Just sayin. lots of things have been said by those in the know, and those that simply like to speculate. Regardless, the important thing is we are short 47 shipmates... the why, or the what is relatively  unimportant.

• Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

I took Iowa out in Randoms just now; here's the results of my first voyage in her that wasn't a Co-op match:

shot-18_04.19_11_59.22-0032.thumb.jpg.0bc87304bba9c4ca9fd99eb9b927630c.jpg

• Cool 2

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
Just now, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

FACT: You're using wikipedia to argue this against a guy who was actually present and has first-hand knowledge.

The morbidly humorous irony surrounding the whole argument here is that Wikipedia will not, and indeed cannot, actually take into account the testimony of a guy who was there and personally knew a number of the men involved. Something to do with their policies surrounding their inability to verify whether or not anyone is any kind of expert in their field, or are in fact who they say they are.

In other words, everyone who is saying that Wikipedia should not be fully trusted in this matter is absolutely spot on.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,387 battles
20 minutes ago, BBsquid said:

I wouldnt exactly trust wikipedia when given the opportunity to actually converse with someone that not only served on Iowa, but was there when the event took place. Just sayin. lots of things have been said by those in the know, and those that simply like to speculate. Regardless, the important thing is we are short 47 shipmates... the why, or the what is relatively  unimportant.

Having served in the Air Force, my last assignment on a Navy base (still have my Comrats card), I know the framework and mentality of those days.

I am not demeaning their loss.  I am not unpatriotic.  However, it serves no justice to allow the waste of the lives of these men for meaningless purposes.

These tests would be best done on a shore-based platform, where safety could be managed.  In fact, nowadays, they would simply not be permitted.

Their deaths are not in vain.  Despite the Navy culture to silence the critics, the word got out. 

If any of you have children in the service, you can be thankful that this reckless disregard for safety has been corrected.

• Bad 2
  • Angry 1

[XBRTC]
Members
1,197 posts
7,146 battles
23 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Having served in the Air Force, my last assignment on a Navy base (still have my Comrats card), I know the framework and mentality of those days.

I am not demeaning their loss.  I am not unpatriotic.  However, it serves no justice to allow the waste of the lives of these men for meaningless purposes.

These tests would be best done on a shore-based platform, where safety could be managed.  In fact, nowadays, they would simply not be permitted.

Their deaths are not in vain.  Despite the Navy culture to silence the critics, the word got out. 

If any of you have children in the service, you can be thankful that this reckless disregard for safety has been corrected.

Dude. They weren't conducting tests at the time.

The extended range stuff was extensively worked up in a shore facility and had conducted a fully authorized and instrumented test at sea several days before. They were not doing anything wrong or out of the ordinary that day.

This was going to happen to one of the battleships eventually, it just happened to IOWA first.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
5,570 battles

Gentlemen and ladies,

The whys and hows of the incident are long past the point of argument. An accident happened on the Iowa that cost forty-seven sailors their lives. Whether you agree with what Wikipedia has allowed to be posted or not, that doesn't change the point that the loss happened, and those men died doing their duty.

Honor the loss of shipmates and of their families, and remember them. That is all anyone here can do.

• Cool 3