You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awesomeartichokes

Reward desired behavior! Don't punish "AFK-er" or Disconnect

155 comments in this topic

Members
234 posts
9,981 battles
WG apparently has a problem with AFK-ers and people who leave the game before they are destroyed. 

Their “solution” is punishment.

This is a poor approach on so many levels.

Presumption of willfulness

WG is presuming that the player is willfulling abandoning the game. Client crashes are a more reasonable expense.

Presumption that WG can spot leavers

A player can “leave” the game by killing the client, or they can leave the game by just yoloing. 

Presumption that leaving the game is “bad”

it is a perfectly reasonable for a player to leave a game if the player gets reduced to 10% of their health in the first 5 minutes of the game; or if the player is burning or flooding to death.

WG should instead focus on rewarding players who stick it out. 

For example, if a player is at less than 10% health, any spotting XP is multiplied. A player gets a bonus for scoring damage.

Lastly, WG should seriously focus on fixing the client crashes, the failures to connect and join the battle.
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 27

[VW]
Members
1,811 posts
12,262 battles

Totally agree with the crashes and disconnects. Often i get dropped immediately after clicking “battle” and have to restart the game and end up returning well into the match. Sometimes i’m already sinking. I already lose karma for it, which until now had no consequence. But now i will be sent to coop because of bad programming or cheap servers? Completely ridiculous.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[POP]
Members
833 posts
9,436 battles
3 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

For example, if a player is at less than 10% health, any spotting XP is multiplied. A player gets a bonus for scoring damage.

Lastly, WG should seriously focus on fixing the client crashes, the failures to connect and join the battle.

Great suggestion!  There should be an incentive for really low health players to stay alive, a flag, a medal...anything!

Just today I lost a match because a low health BB started firing instead of running away and staying alive for points. (Standard Battle - lost by 6pts in the last 20 seconds)

There has to be a way to educate and reward players who stick it out to the end even if it means hiding under a rock...

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
1,811 posts
12,262 battles
5 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

Great suggestion!  There should be an incentive for really low health players to stay alive, a flag, a medal...anything!

Just today I lost a match because a low health BB started firing instead of running away and staying alive for points. (Standard Battle - lost by 6pts in the last 20 seconds)

There has to be a way to educate and reward players who stick it out to the end even if it means hiding under a rock...

As you say the current reward is often winning the match. Ranked play i think is the best means of learning this. In ranked cap control is essential, and if one cares to learn the scoring methods of the game one quickly realizes that in some cases its better to disappear rather than die fighting. Of course some players are either uninterested in learning or simply unaware.

Edited by monpetitloup

[NASTY]
[NASTY]
Members
140 posts
11,025 battles
45 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:
it is a perfectly reasonable for a player to leave a game if the player gets reduced to 10% of their health in the first 5 minutes of the game; or if the player is burning or flooding to death.

Really why is this reasonable for someone to leave I do my best work when low health makes you more aware of what's going on

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,274 posts
3,584 battles
47 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

WG is presuming that the player is willfulling abandoning the game. Client crashes are a more reasonable expense.

A player can “leave” the game by killing the client, or they can leave the game by just yoloing. 

1. It's more for bots and afk CV's I reckon. Things that can totally wreck a match.

2. Exiting the client and dying via damage are two different things. Exiting a match is denying a team damage, and points for being sunk.

3. Leaving the game before dying ******IS****** bad. I don't care when you get reduced to 10% of your health. Wait until 100% of it is gone.

4. No. This will reward stupidity based on said yolo-ing.

5. Players should assist WG is figuring out client crashes via bug reports with DETAILED information as to what/when/where and then /why can be figured out faster.

6. Get a better PC/non-laptop/non 32-bit windows and a better internet connection.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 2

Alpha Tester
4,429 posts
6,619 battles
52 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

I agree with much of what you say, but not this. Many of my best battles have been fought on 5% hp for 10 minutes of a match. For sure, being reduced to low health limits your potential, rules out brawling for example, but your guns and so dps can still contribute, whielas long as your ship is afloat, you are worth points to your own team. If you leave early because you are on low health, you 'steal' battle points from your own team, and help the opposition.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,317 battles

7 K battles under your belt. My god man..... People seriously have some major mental issue's in today's world.
Guess what, Shirley Temple, Wot punishes you for leaving battle before it is concluded. You can be banned
for bot like behavior and insta banned for team killing.

Killing a friendly vehicle will get you a 24 hour ban , instantly. 

You are getting your panties tied up in a knot over this........... 

• Angry 1

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,274 posts
3,584 battles
12 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

7 K battles under your belt. My god man..... People seriously have some major mental issue's in today's world.
Guess what, Shirley Temple, Wot punishes you for leaving battle before it is concluded. You can be banned

Tanks is a bit different in that the shell travel time is damn near instant compared to ships.

So team damage/teamkills are actually quite more noticable over there.

• Bad 1

Members
234 posts
9,981 battles
1 hour ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

1. It's more for bots and afk CV's I reckon. Things that can totally wreck a match.

2. Exiting the client and dying via damage are two different things. Exiting a match is denying a team damage, and points for being sunk.

3. Leaving the game before dying ******IS****** bad. I don't care when you get reduced to 10% of your health. Wait until 100% of it is gone.

4. No. This will reward stupidity based on said yolo-ing.

5. Players should assist WG is figuring out client crashes via bug reports with DETAILED information as to what/when/where and then /why can be figured out faster.

6. Get a better PC/non-laptop/non 32-bit windows and a better internet connection.

1. yawn .... WG should fix the client

2. I exit.. the enemy kills me.... I waste 10 more minutes of my life and the enemy kills me ... same result but I go do something else with my life.

3. I actually don't care that you don't care. 

4. Then you didn't understand the point.

5. Why? WG should have telemetry built in to the client ... but o.k.  see latest attached crash

5ad85a62d360b_ScreenShot2018-04-19at1_44_46AM.thumb.png.05b5f0aade6709cad27ad493debf1331.png

6. Lame answer... I am playing at work ping times at 3-4 ms and on latest model of Mac book... try again 
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 9

Members
234 posts
9,981 battles
47 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

yawn ad hominem attacks... I just set u to ignore...

• Boring 1
  • Bad 3
  • Angry 1

[PVE]
Members
5,300 posts
17,720 battles
52 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

yawn ad hominem attacks... I just set u to ignore...

Ehh and yet your comment was so informed... BTW it wasn't an "ad hominen" attack, just a general "bugger off troll" statement... Ignore reciprocated.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[CELTS]
Members
80 posts
7,799 battles

I disagree with OP. 

If you afk or quit before you're dead then you should be punished.  This isn't a solo game, there are up to 11 other players on your team and 12 players on enemy team which your actions affect.

[LEGIT]
Members
387 posts
6,129 battles

Rage quit and AFK need punishment. As for Rewards we already have a Karma system which in time gives you several FTW camos for behaving properly

[-AVA-]
Members
135 posts
7,153 battles
3 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

Yes, I understand people have connection issues and client crashes but do you seriously believe every instance of someone leaving the game is a result of either? So then don't you think it unfair to the other 7 or 11 players on the team that some person for whatever reason doesn't want to complete the match even though they initiated it by hitting the Battle button to begin with? I don't see too many complaints about people on the winning side angry because the losing team had a couple AFK'ers. . .and it actually cost them more in potential lost damage.

More importantly, there is absolutely no way that WG can determine a crash/stopped process or a lost connection being anything from a router hiccup in your trace route or you unplugging your Ethernet cable. So they are left with the next best thing. . ."punish" all equally, if you really want to go so far as being pink for one battle a substantial punishment. If it is a consistent thing then get with your ISP and WG Support to iron out a solution. Worked for me.

No, it is in no way reasonable or acceptable a player leaves before the match is complete even if they have only a single hit point left. Unless all your guns and torpedo tubes are destroyed you can still try to defend a cap, assist capturing one or even deal some damage. In the highly unlikely event they are destroyed, you can still spot or at least be a meat shield for a teammate. If you are capable of hitting the Battle button, you have a responsibility (albeit in a gaming environment) to your prospective teammates to do as best you can. . .leaving before you are taken out is cheating them and in a way, your own self. A couple of years ago the Patriots were getting their collective butts handed to them by the Falcons in the Super Bowl yet came back to win the game. An altogether different analogy given the nature of professional sports compared to a free to play game, but isn't it kind of in the same ballpark? In a competitive environment you play to win or you are wasting everyone's time and effort, including your own.

No, there should not be any additional award or bonus. Your reward for sticking it out is the win if that's what your collective team accomplishes.

And again, you can't pin all this on WG. It's also on you, particularly if it a consistent issue with crashes and disconnections. Either something on your system is jacked or your ISP is flaky and both are within your area of responsibility otherwise there would be a ton of people with issues and not just a few, relatively speaking. If it is WG, they have already given out three days of premium for their admitted fault. . .even if you didn't have a premium account. . .so it's not like they are totally ignorant of issues.

/soapbox

*I used "you" and "your" not really meaning YOU specifically so apologies up front.

• Cool 2

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,274 posts
3,584 battles
1 hour ago, awesomeartichokes said:

1. yawn .... WG should fix the client

2. I exit.. the enemy kills me.... I waste 10 more minutes of my life and the enemy kills me ... same result but I go do something else with my life.

3. I actually don't care that you don't care. 

4. Then you didn't understand the point.

5. Why? WG should have telemetry built in to the client ... but o.k.  see latest attached cras

6. Lame answer... I am playing at work ping times at 3-4 ms and on latest model of Mac book... try again 

1. AFK CV's aren't going to get fixed until they are literally filtered out.

2. No... you exit before you die in a corner, for example.. you are essentially AFK. You won't likely be found in a non-CV match. You are denying the enemy kills, points, and denying everyone a shorter match. Grow a pair and die.

3. I don't care that you get perma-banned for leaving games all the time then. Good riddance actually.

4. Giving bonus XP for spotting while less than 10% health will only result in people being stupid and attempting to get to 10% health in order to trigger the bonus.

5. File a bug report. Have you yourself tested your RAM sticks lately?

6. You said the word MAC with a straight face given the loop-holes and hurdles people have to go through in order to play and EXPECT to not have problems? LOL

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
321 posts
307 battles

I agree, it is different the angry leave than somebody who is AFK and reappears with a "Sorry  computer cras" or "Sorry baby emergency" (as is sometimes my case)

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,274 posts
3,584 battles
10 minutes ago, Patosentado said:

I agree, it is different the angry leave than somebody who is AFK and reappears with a "Sorry  computer cras" or "Sorry baby emergency" (as is sometimes my case)

No... it isn't. You're still leaving.

If your computer crashes, try to fix it. That's between you and WG, not between you and your team.

If you have baby issues that's between you and your baby mama, not between you and your team.

Next red herring plox.

• Bad 2

Members
2,274 posts
7,297 battles

WG is right in punish AFKs, they are starting to become a big problem in the game. Quite often we have two, even three AFKs in a single battle. 

[WOLF6]
Members
1,751 posts
4,786 battles
1 hour ago, Murbid said:

I disagree with OP. 

If you afk or quit before you're dead then you should be punished.  This isn't a solo game, there are up to 11 other players on your team and 12 players on enemy team which your actions affect.

Indeed. As a DD main I play large parts of many games at very low health. 

Members
17,658 posts
5,082 battles

1 hour ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

No... it isn't. You're still leaving.

If your computer crashes, try to fix it. That's between you and WG, not between you and your team.

If you have baby issues that's between you and your baby mama, not between you and your team.

Next red herring plox.

Meh. It's a game, featuring a bunch of random strangers.

I'm not going to sit down and play WoWS if I'm expecting to be interrupted, (I'll even put a cordless phone beside me) but if something happens that I need to attend to, I'll leave the game in a heartbeat, and feel not one iota of remorse.

If I get "punished" for it, then so be it. I'll care just as much about that as leaving in the first place.

Bring on the downvotes!

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 5
  • Bad 1

Members
11 posts
3,902 battles

Something like a bad connection and Clients crashing are not in your control and should not be punished at all! The response of get a better connection inst going to happen unless you can afford to pay for a fiber line directly to wargamings servers. I for instance have had an issue with the connection failing constantly in the time I can play and the Service provider cannot find the reason why it drops two hopes from my house for only 5 hours a day. So I'm sorry but if Wargaming doesn't want to loose players because they run the risk of being perma stuck in Co op battle they shouldn't punish for this issue or something else out of the players control such as client crashes.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
17,658 posts
5,082 battles
27 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Indeed. As a DD main I play large parts of many games at very low health. 

I hear you. I rarely suffer an actual deletion of my cruisers, but at some point during the game, it's highly likely I'll get smacked hard. I just disengage and avoid situations where I have to trade HP.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,300 posts
17,720 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Meh. It's a game, featuring a bunch of random strangers.

I'm not going to sit down and play WoWS if I'm expecting to be interrupted, (I'll even put a cordless phone beside me) but if something happens that I need to attend to, I'll leave the game in a heartbeat, and feel not one iota of remorse.

If I get "punished" for it, then so be it. I'll care just as much about that as leaving in the first place.

Bring on the downvotes!

I couldn't agree more Skpstr. It is a silly game, real life always takes precedence over entertainment. I don't care if it is something important like a medical emergency or something as minor as the dog barfing up a dead bird, going to see to me and mine first, the game be damned. I have to laugh at the pathetic individuals who must not have a life that want to see people punished either for something outside their control (i.e. internet interruptions) or real life issues because of a game. IMHO those people need to learn to "git gud" and carry for their afk player. Punishing a player who may be afk because the game crashed either because they are using a potato computer or Wargaming software developers introduced a bug with a patch, is a surefire way of inducing anger towards the company. You remember what players are, they are your freaking customers.. Guessing not a whole lot of money comes Wargaming's way from non-players of their games but good luck with that... Course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,677 posts
3,870 battles

Punishment is required for deliberate early leavers, but must explicitly be triggered by the player's conscious and deliberate leaving of the game (hitting the "Yes" button while still alive, when it asks if you're sure you want to leave). Anything else must be let go.

• Cool 2