Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Which Cruiser line currently best fits my preferences?

11 comments in this topic

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

I'm currently clocking in at somewhat over 3,200 battles, my first 1,500 battles or so were all in cruisers. My favorite cruisers at that time were Furutaka and Aoba, because they played like CLs with CA guns and torpedoes. I have 1300+ WTR in Furutaka and 1200+ WTR in Aoba, averaging 30.3k and 34.8k damage respectively. Overall, not too bad I guess? At the time I played those ships, MM changes had yet to be implemented, and I was a newbie, but I regularly saw matches as top tier. It was a really good feeling facing Tier 3s in Furutaka and Tier 4s in Aoba, but now we don't get that anymore. For my last 1,500 battles or so I've played almost exclusively battleships, and I feel that some CA gameplay has helped me to a degree with playing BBs. I feel that it's hard for me to find a ship I click with and I only really do above average in a couple of them, though my overall stat signature is currently at a light blue with 1155+ WTR.

I haven't played cruisers for quite a while, and the reason why I quit was the start of the BB heavy meta. Cruisers used to be the easiest class to play, but now I'd have to say BBs. However, I would really like to return to my beloved cruisers again, but I'm not sure what fits my preferences best in the current meta.

A little about my play style:

-Usually mid-range, but often find myself going too close. Hyper-aggression.

-Preference for HE / fire damage in a cruiser.

-Prefer something with decent durability (eh, I know cruisers aren't exactly known for that) and not utterly unforgiving

-Torpedoes are a bonus, but I know how hard it is to do torpedo strikes using cruisers past Tier 5/6

-I don't like the excessive camping / hiding play style

-Not too bothered by rate of fire, IMO all CAs / CLs aren't that different in this category

-Something with decent alpha damage on cruisers with AP starting from 10-12km

IJN cruisers feel a lot more sluggish starting from Myoko, though Tier 7 is the sweet spot. Aoba's torpedo arcs are already frustrating enough (please change it to Furutaka's). I just feel that the higher the tier, the more difficult it is to play a cruiser with Tier 6 being the 'cut-off.' However, considering some of the characteristics of my play style listed above, which line do you think would fit me best? I am looking into the USN line split and getting my hands on Helena / New Orleans at Tier 7. 

[VW]
Members
1,852 posts
12,293 battles

I really like the km cas. I think they fit your criteria in all but the he spamming cas. They can do damge with he, but you can give serious pain with your ap. Set up a traning room ans see where to shoot ships with that ap. And remember the german ca can bounce bb shells when facing the bb bow on.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

In what ways would other cruiser lines such as the US, KM, and French not be compatible with me?

Now, considering Tier 7 is currently the sweet spot for matchmaking, I am interested in trying out the USN cruiser line split, both Helena and New Orleans. I am interested in Helena because of the 15 rapid-firing 152mm guns (it feels really satisfying burning down a BB), and the Tier 7 New orleans because I actually have more experience with CAs than CLs, 203mm guns have higher fire chance per shell and obviously better AP alpha along with less arc. Tier 6 Pensacola I'm also curious to see whether it actually lives up to its reputation as 'Pepsicola' and all-round crap, but what worries me are the 'fantasy guns' that are a downgrade from the guns she currently has when fully upgraded.

Edited by Zionas

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,719 posts
9,504 battles

The Krismarine ™ ooppss i mean go with German cruiser line

well all round cruiser and nasty AP

Members
368 posts
5,770 battles

I have fallen in love with the Russian cruisers.  There are other individual cruisers in the other lines that I like but top to bottom, other than the Kirov which I never developed an affinity for, I like the Russians the best.  Decent speed, maneuverability and concealment and great guns if you like spamming HE.  AP is decent in most of them but at long ranges against angled targets you can hurl a lot of he quite accurately with the Russians.  Armor is somewhat to very squishy so you have to be careful or getting deleted will become a frequent occurrence.

I have no real complaint about the other cruiser lines, just that I feel the most comfortable with the Russians. 

I don't know how things were before, but the way the game is today, overly aggressive cruisers are prime candidates for an early exit from the game.  Trust me on this, I am an overly aggressive cruiser player about half the time.  I used to be overly aggressive all the time but priority target has gone a fair way toward showing me the error of my ways. 

Anyway, take everything I said with a grain of salt, I am at best an average player.  Unless you count this past weekend were I just stank up the place and redefined  the  term "potato".

Good luck out there.

[NASTY]
[NASTY]
Members
140 posts
11,029 battles
2 hours ago, Zionas said:

In what ways would other cruiser lines such as the US, KM, and French not be compatible with me?

You said you like to get close these are squishy, you said torps a bonus USN has none after tier 5 make an account on the test server and try some of them out before you make the choice good place to decide which line you would like and see new things coming to the game I personally love the IJN CA's but have all lines to tier 10 Hindy is probably the best tier 10 CA but I always find myself taking out the Zoa.

[TSAR]
Members
149 posts
4,754 battles

8 hours ago, CaptKornNutz said:

You said you like to get close these are squishy, you said torps a bonus USN has none after tier 5 make an account on the test server and try some of them out before you make the choice good place to decide which line you would like and see new things coming to the game I personally love the IJN CA's but have all lines to tier 10 Hindy is probably the best tier 10 CA but I always find myself taking out the Zoa.

The issue is that the Germans don't get durable until tier 7 at the earliest and that is dusitble at best. Besides that though the Germans are pretty good. Even their HE is not half bad from tiers 5-7, and 9-10 when used on angled targets.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
416 posts
12,662 battles

You can try out all of tier 7 and 8 tech tree cruisers on the Public Test Server.  But do it soon, the test server will close down on Monday morning.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

IJN and eventually German Cruisers are right up the alley, OP.

French Cruisers want to stay back more, especially at Tier IX-X.

USN Cruisers are short ranged cap contesters.

RN CLs are not what you're looking for, especially high tier.  Very campy.

RU Cruisers eventually evolve into more static gameplay with X Moskva, because her sides are so vulnerable.

IJN & German Cruisers?

IJN are more intermediate ranged fighters.  Their concealment is among the best, only RN CLs are stealthier than them.  You can use the range to disengage, reposition, and re-engage whereas other Cruiser Lines have worse concealment to do that job.  The shells are very HE oriented but the AP is typically very good for the job.  Furutaka at V has great AP capability.  VII Myoko and on, the AP is very solid.  HE is your "go to" shell choice but the AP is still punishing  Zao at Tier X?  Most people talk about her HE, which is amazing, but her AP is underrated and very powerful.  Her great stealth lets her control her engagements easily.  Torpedoes are more ideal for kiting / fighting retreats, but for many of the tiers, you have 10km ranged torps.  Couple that with stealth, a retreating IJN CA can stealth torp is it runs, dropping torps from both sides into the faces of expected pursuers.  Zao at X changes that with having F3 torps, they're fast, powerful, but 8km.

German Cruisers?  A buff a while ago gave them an HE Pen Buff, basically a free IFHE with no Fire Chance Penalty.  It helped give them some form of consistent damage because prior, they relied on AP.  Their HE damage is still the lowest of Non-RN CL AP, their Fire Chances are still low per shell.  But some of them make up for this with fast firing guns.  Concealment is mediocre, AA quality bad until Tier VIII.  However, you tend to have 6km torpedoes with useful launch angles as a standard for most of the tiers.  Hindenburg at Tier X is very tough in a knife fight, even against BBs.  They also access German Hydro, which is the best Hydro in the game, and Hindenburg has the best of the type.  Hindenburg is great because it can play the Ranged Shell Spam role as well as be deadly in a short ranged fight.

[SSU]
Members
43 posts
4,373 battles

Scharnhorst? Sorry couldn't resist lol.

For a cruiser tech tree recommendation, I echo agreement with the German line. I'll reiterate the misery that will be tiers 5/6, and the frustration that will be 7, and the stress and wracked nerves that will be tier 8...but the Roon and Hindenburg are absolutely worth it.

Honorable mention would be the VMF line. They're squishy, but to play them right you won't be doing much hiding...at all. Moskva is tough when used right, and has a massive battlefield presence that needs to be dealt with. If you like to be the center of attention, look no further than this ship.

Sign in to follow this