Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MajorHavoc

"R"NG

28 comments in this topic

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,545 battles

Today I fired a torp spread, from a single launcher, where 2 torps went way left, and 2 torps went way right, so that in order for them to hit the bb they were aimed at, he would have had to stop on a dime, or accelerate rapidly to about 80 knots.  We've all seen it, but after the day I've had, I'm wondering how much rng is actually random.  Other examples would be multiple broadside salvos doing no damage to a still broadside, firing 200 shells and lighting 0 fires, or on the other end of the stick, being set on fire 2x, using dc, to then have 4 fires rapidly lit on your deck.   The most extreme example I know of is recently I was hit for 18000 dmg in a dd from a bb firing ap from about 20km away, and I was directly facing him.  Conversely, I have failed to sink dd's with a bb firing he within 4 or 5 salvos at medium range.  Am I alone in smelling a rotten fish in the bilge, or have others noticed sometimes you seem to be on some kind of "no fly" list?

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,689 posts
11,061 battles
3 minutes ago, MajorHavoc said:

Today I fired a torp spread, from a single launcher, where 2 torps went way left, and 2 torps went way right, so that in order for them to hit the bb they were aimed at, he would have had to stop on a dime, or accelerate rapidly to about 80 knots.  We've all seen it, but after the day I've had, I'm wondering how much rng is actually random.  Other examples would be multiple broadside salvos doing no damage to a still broadside, firing 200 shells and lighting 0 fires, or on the other end of the stick, being set on fire 2x, using dc, to then have 4 fires rapidly lit on your deck.   The most extreme example I know of is recently I was hit for 18000 dmg in a dd from a bb firing ap from about 20km away, and I was directly facing him.  Conversely, I have failed to sink dd's with a bb firing he within 4 or 5 salvos at medium range.  Am I alone in smelling a rotten fish in the bilge, or have others noticed sometimes you seem to be on some kind of "no fly" list?

You may have been on wide spread, you never said, you never mentioned which DD you were using as some do fire torps slightly different. 

there is no RNG with torps as its on the player

Firing 200 shells for no fires, where are you aiming, the water line or the superstructure.

It only takes one shell to do damage to a DD and if your directly facing him when it hit, it means it passed through your entire ship and being in that particular direction is the worst way to get hit, no RNG he was just a good shot.

Failing to sink a DD with He at medium range is one of those things, he could be WASD hacking, or your not that good of a shot, or the spread is enough to not hit him enough, what BB are you using to do this in.

There is no list

There is no smelly fish

There is no conspiracy

• Bad 2

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,545 battles

Trust me ive fired enough torps to know sometimes you get a wonky spread with a giant gap that couldn't possibly hit anything

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,689 posts
11,061 battles

Maybe your crew knew you weren't going to hit anything anyway and didn't maintain the torps the way they should, or that guy who polishes your torp doesn't do both sides so it doesn't go straight

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,689 posts
11,061 battles

My next answer answers everything in this game that could possibly happen.

LAG

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts
33 minutes ago, MajorHavoc said:

The most extreme example I know of is recently I was hit for 18000 dmg in a dd from a bb firing ap from about 20km away, and I was directly facing him.  Conversely, I have failed to sink dd's with a bb firing he within 4 or 5 salvos at medium range. 

Yesterday, a DD leapt from its island nest about 3-4km in front of my Musashi. I was waiting for it, and fired 6 shots, 5 of them connecting. 5 hits, for a total of zero damage and 1 module broken, from the biggest guns in the game into a full health DD (so no, no damage saturation mechanics in effect).

sometimes the RNG just hates you.

[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,312 battles

RNG means that really unlikely stuff can happen and really likely stuff doesn't happen.

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, MajorHavoc said:

Other examples would be multiple broadside salvos doing no damage to a still broadside

This happens way too often. I don't think it's RNG, I think you just need to aim differently at a stationary target.

1 hour ago, MajorHavoc said:

Am I alone in smelling a rotten fish in the bilge, or have others noticed sometimes you seem to be on some kind of "no fly" list?

Well, randomness means that highly unlikely events still do happen and they still might randomly show up in a small enough sample, in which case it would appear that they happen way too often. People tend to have short memories and tend to remember negative experiences more than positive. For example, occasionally you get a couple detonations in one day and go to forums to scream that detonation mechanics is broken, but simple calculation of your number of det awards/ divided by the number of battles will still show that in general they happen in about 2-3% of battles and it's quite consistent between different players.

Edited by geser98

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

I feel you, OP. Torpedo spread makes me cringe... 

Making a beautiful (narrow spread) torpedo wall, with a giant hole in it. Just perfect. Guess where the sleepy enemy fits through... 

EDIT: So that is why I mostly play cruisers. Pretty reliable spread that makes me think I am gut when I hit something. The other classes just make me cry..., except Monty.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Members
567 posts
75 battles

I'm sitting at a 5/10 NL game a few years ago at the Venetian with pocket Js and I flop top set.  Guy with pocket 8s goes runner runner 8s.  Lost 3 grand.  Got up, left, went to the Bellagio.  Bought in for 2k at another 5/10NL table and my very first hand I get pocket Ks.  Flop top set.  No straight or flush possibility on the board so I slow play them trying to get my money back.  Guy with pocket 8s goes runner runner 8s.  Lost 5 grand in two consecutive hands where I flop top set and lose to runner runner quad 8s.  Buddy of mine and I worked out the math on that and the odds were 1 in over 7 million.

RNG does not guarantee "fairness" or "evenness."  Given a large sample size of events (I've played enough hands of poker online and live in my life to get 7 royal flushes where 80+ year old players have gone their entire life never getting one), you're going to see some pretty wild outliers.  Hell, I cashed in a Omaha Hi/Lo bracelet event at the WSOP only ever playing Omaha the three days leading up to the tournament which I just bought into for sh*ts and giggles.  I was completely out of my element, especially having David Benyamine and Phil Hellmuth at my starting table.  I should never have made it past the first day.

RNG can work in your favor just as easily, but we often discount it when it does because psychologically our egos expect us to perform well and produce outcomes we preset for ourselves based often on less than realistic expectations.  Not always by skill, but expecting a level of consistency that can equally be unrealistic.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,287 battles

Biggest "tell" with RNG shows with T5 carrier fighters. When your top of the line fighters get wiped by lesser enemy fighters your team WILL lose the game. The RNG was set against your team at the start. Sometimes it's set for you, sometimes against, sometimes even. We tend to underestimate it's effect on the game but it's there. When your fighters get wiped your bombers will also miss and your team sets less fires, lands less hits etc. 

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,545 battles
11 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

I'm sitting at a 5/10 NL game a few years ago at the Venetian with pocket Js and I flop top set.  Guy with pocket 8s goes runner runner 8s.  Lost 3 grand.  Got up, left, went to the Bellagio.  Bought in for 2k at another 5/10NL table and my very first hand I get pocket Ks.  Flop top set.  No straight or flush possibility on the board so I slow play them trying to get my money back.  Guy with pocket 8s goes runner runner 8s.  Lost 5 grand in two consecutive hands where I flop top set and lose to runner runner quad 8s.  Buddy of mine and I worked out the math on that and the odds were 1 in over 7 million.

RNG does not guarantee "fairness" or "evenness."  Given a large sample size of events (I've played enough hands of poker online and live in my life to get 7 royal flushes where 80+ year old players have gone their entire life never getting one), you're going to see some pretty wild outliers.  Hell, I cashed in a Omaha Hi/Lo bracelet event at the WSOP only ever playing Omaha the three days leading up to the tournament which I just bought into for sh*ts and giggles.  I was completely out of my element, especially having David Benyamine and Phil Hellmuth at my starting table.  I should never have made it past the first day.

RNG can work in your favor just as easily, but we often discount it when it does because psychologically our egos expect us to perform well and produce outcomes we preset for ourselves based often on less than realistic expectations.  Not always by skill, but expecting a level of consistency that can equally be unrealistic.

This is possibly the best explanation and anecdotes I have seen to remind me that that Jester lives and can be very cruel.  

Members
333 posts
5 battles

Guys, remember this is the guy that is sure that he's always right and that RANDOM somehow means it'd be average to good instead of literally everything. Ignore the stupid people and move on, it'd make society better. 

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,545 battles
2 minutes ago, TheNargacuga said:

Guys, remember this is the guy that is sure that he's always right and that RANDOM somehow means it'd be average to good instead of literally everything. Ignore the stupid people and move on, it'd make society better. 

Wow seems I have a friend who played 5 battles to post on an alt

http://prntscr.com/j7kcc7

Edited by MajorHavoc

[POP]
Members
838 posts
9,459 battles
18 minutes ago, MajorHavoc said:

losses2.png.f10d75a733997c49a75570175eee61bb.png

OMG what is this unholy mess, please stop!!   [sobs]

[PVE]
Members
376 posts
8,175 battles

If I were to make a multiplayer team based game, I would limit the "RNG" to where it is truly random.  

It seems like however many games you win, you will lose the same amount. 

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,026 posts
3,845 battles
On 4/18/2018 at 5:55 PM, CriMiNaL__ said:

...or that guy who polishes your torp doesn't do both sides so it doesn't go straight

This...this just doesnt sound right. I know the intent but it went waaaaay off base when I read it .

• Funny 1

[SANK]
Members
118 posts
4,557 battles

The biggest thing RNG has been handing me lately are PENS that do no damage. Yes even on ships with no damage saturation.

Then there are the always present dispersion RNG rolls that put your shells all around the target.

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,545 battles
2 hours ago, TheNargacuga said:

Another thread by the major showing how english is his 4th or 5th language at best. 

Please, explain.  Note: this is the second time you've come here to bash the thread, both times making zero sense.  

"Only a petty child with no understanding of social interaction would be so stupid as to spend time berating others on the internet" - TheNargacuga

Edited by MajorHavoc

[VIP-2]
Members
803 posts
2,827 battles
On 4/18/2018 at 8:48 PM, CriMiNaL__ said:

Firing 200 shells for no fires, where are you aiming, the water line or the superstructure.

I have been able to catch stuff on fire in way less than 200 even when aimed at waterline....

I know what your saying, but still...

Sign in to follow this