You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

IJN Destroyers - Banzai!

18 comments in this topic

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

万歳 - Banzai!

Spoiler

Banzai (万歳) has a traditional meaning of 10,000 years [of life], but nobody thinks of it in those terms. Outside of Japan, the term is most commonly linked to Imperial Japanese troops giving it as a cheer. If these troops had been speaking English, they would have been saying something like, "Hurrah!" or "Hip hip hooray!"

Year ago, I had an acquaintance who was a soldier. I asked him if he had ever been in a banzai charge? He got a very far away look in his eyes and softly said he had. Later in the conversation, I asked if the troops yelled banzai during the attack. He chuckled and said that banzai was too difficult to yell when running across open ground, while getting shot at. Sure they would yell to keep their courage up, but it not the three syllables of ban-za-i.

The banzai cheer is a common occurrence in today's Japan. Just the other day, at the end of a party, the party goers arranged themselves around the perimeter of the room and gave the banzai cheer three times; each time raising their hands above their head.

from https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-Japanese-word-banzai-mean

Bring those days back, they deserve it and historically earned it. Since IJN DDs got nerfed I have limited my play to the Shimakaze.

While you're at it, add night battles where the IJN has a slight advantage.

I hear changes are coming... good.

Banzai!

5ad7fe9f48f75_IJNdestroyersatsea.thumb.jpg.efcd7a03d5da117db28c0a308fc63209.jpg

Bonus points for anyone who can convincingly identify the ships or DD-class of ships above.

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,873 posts
8,689 battles

Those are Fubuki class by my reckoning. There are other similar images also with a "20" on the side of the bow, and those are of Fubuki class destroyers. Also, they share the stripes on the funnel. 

Image result for japanese ww2 destroyers with hull number 20Image result for japanese ww2 destroyers with hull number 20

Note the placement of the gunbarrels and the "bag" around the meeting point between the gun barrel and the turret

They also share the same mast and bridge arrangement, as well as the same range finder positions.

Edited by Kingfishercritic
  • Cool 1

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
3 minutes ago, Kingfishercritic said:

Those are Fubuki class by my reckoning. There are other similar images also with a "20" on the side of the bow, and those are of Fubuki class destroyers. Also, they share the stripes on the funnel. 

Well said and +1. Always liked playing Fubuki.

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,873 posts
8,689 battles
1 minute ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Well said and +1. Always liked playing Fubuki.

I actually liked her better as the tier 8- felt like it was a more capable gunboat.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
1 minute ago, Kingfishercritic said:

I actually liked her better as the tier 8- felt like it was a more capable gunboat.

Totally agree. She was the first DD (then) that I really felt - hey I can do well in a destroyer like this!

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,873 posts
8,689 battles
Just now, Stauffenberg44 said:

Totally agree. She was the first DD (then) that I really felt - hey I can do well in a destroyer like this!

I'm really looking to the top of the Akizuki line- that DPM is gonna be really good with 10 100mm guns firing at  20rpm (or higher if you take BFT)

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
1 minute ago, Kingfishercritic said:

I'm really looking to the top of the Akizuki line- that DPM is gonna be really good with 10 100mm guns firing at  20rpm (or higher if you take BFT)

Finally not just Russian killer DD gunboats.... how sweet it is.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,323 posts
14,695 battles
20 minutes ago, Kingfishercritic said:

Wouldn't it be great if she got a choice between DFAA and radar?  Course the T8 Akizuki would almost be OP at T10 with radar...

Members
901 posts
4,218 battles
59 minutes ago, Kingfishercritic said:

Image result for japanese ww2 destroyers with hull number 20Image result for japanese ww2 destroyers with hull number 20

Note the placement of the gunbarrels and the "bag" around the meeting point between the gun barrel and the turret

They also share the same mast and bridge arrangement, as well as the same range finder positions.

These photos show them still using old turrets like on Shinonome. OPs picture has later turret design.

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
1 hour ago, Kingfishercritic said:

Have done well with Apple, Blueberry, and Pumpkin... as well as Mutsuki; but Akizuki is the only higher tier IJN destroyer I like and feel I’ve done well with, (even if perhaps I actually suck with it...)

Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles
35 minutes ago, Vaitmana said:

These photos show them still using old turrets like on Shinonome. OPs picture has later turret design.

Which could mean that the OP's photo is of Akatsuki-class DDs. Virtually the same thing, as they share a hull(the Akatsuki's technically being a sub-class of Fubuki's), but have enough differences to generally warrant distinction between the two.

However, with that being said, as seen here in Doomlock's image thread, the picture in the OP is of three Fubuki-class special type destroyers. Type 2's to be exact.

• Cool 1

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
28 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Which could mean that the OP's photo is of Akatsuki-class DDs. Virtually the same thing, as they share a hull(the Akatsuki's technically being a sub-class of Fubuki's), but have enough differences to generally warrant distinction between the two.

However, with that being said, as seen here in Doomlock's image thread, the picture in the OP is of three Fubuki-class special type destroyers. Type 2's to be exact.

+1. Good eye

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,822 posts
10,755 battles
11 hours ago, Kingfishercritic said:

IJN ship bow numbers were the division number, not class identification. So those are all DesDiv 20 ships (at the time of picture. Ships could move between divs) but not necessarily the same class of ships.

Ship identification was done by the ship name painted on the side. They were written in katakanas and read from right to left.

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,873 posts
8,689 battles
18 minutes ago, chewonit said:

IJN ship bow numbers were the division number, not class identification. So those are all DesDiv 20 ships (at the time of picture. Ships could move between divs) but not necessarily the same class of ships.

Ship identification was done by the ship name painted on the side. They were written in katakanas and read from right to left.

I figured, considering many ships have the same number. I am familiar with the name placement on Japanese ships.

[CVA16]
Members
2,179 posts
9,665 battles
1 hour ago, chewonit said:

Didn't they remove the names during the war? Not sure how they ID'd their ships after that without stable hull numbers.

Members
603 posts
7,015 battles
On 2018/4/18 at 7:29 PM, Stauffenberg44 said:

5ad7fe9f48f75_IJNdestroyersatsea.thumb.jpg.efcd7a03d5da117db28c0a308fc63209.jpg

Bonus points for anyone who can convincingly identify the ships or DD-class of ships above.

3 ships with the print "20" on their bow, which means the 20th DesRon / 20 Kuchikutai

but they are not Fubuki, Shinonome, and Isonami judging from the newer gun turret.

so they must be Asagiri, Yugiri, Amagiri, or Sagiri.... can't tell which 3 of the pic tho.

some source says the pic is Asagiri, Amagiri, and Sagiri during 1941.

[CVA16]
Members
2,179 posts
9,665 battles

Just noticed the guns are all trained to starboard (all at slightly different angles-- probably a telephoto effect but it looks like the rear ship is going for a TK on the middle ship) but the gun directors all still face forward. Not a live fire exercise I guess.