You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
geser98

To Nelson or not to Nelson?

24 comments in this topic

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles

I've earned almost 200k freeXP in the last 10 days by using my copious amount of Papa Papa signals and in a few days, if all goes well, should have enough to get myself a Nelson. Is she worth it? With that amount of freeXP available I can do so many interesting things, like skipping Iowa and getting Montana (since Mighty Money is my most played ship anyway), or finish Ibuki grind and get a Zao, or maybe I'll even have enough for both :) And especially since I'm just about to unlock Richelieu, I'm struggling whether I need another bow-tanker in my port. 

Is Nelson worth it?

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,026 posts
10,219 battles

YES! YES! YES!

A thousand time YES!

Is this helpful?

It's a fun ship, unique in it's own way but not the money maker that Missouri is ( but what ship is really? ).  It's a solid damage dealer at the tier that is "top" most consistently in game other than tier 10.  Iowa grind is easy, Montana just gives you more gun barrels, no need to rush it.  Zao is certainly a lot better across the board than the Ibuki, so that's a viable second choice based on how quickly you want to play it.

• Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

It catches a lot of citadels.  Lapse of attention for a couple seconds and you can pay dearly from an attentive BB.

However, its also got a great heal -- as in shocking how much HP you can grab back.  It's like Lazarus rising from the grave.

The guns are also -- at least in my opinion -- excellent.

But yeah -- you have to weigh the fragility aspect of its citadel with its excellent guns and heal capability.  

If I were you I'd take an hour -- get on youtube -- and check out some of the CC reviews of Nelson before plunking down your 300000 odd exp.  See if its your cup of tea.

Edited by Dr_Dirt
  • Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
718 posts
3,156 battles

Nelson is pretty much a Lion of the tier 5-9.  It has a super heal, it has giant guns with high HE (That can citadel cruisers with HE rounds). It's a unique monster. 

Also what's fun is that I swap my Dunkirk captain between the Conqueror and Nelson. You build them nearly identical to the point where it's amazing on either ship.

Unlike the Conqueror's AP rounds, the Nelson's AP rounds are monstrous vs low tier ships. 

Edited by Merlox
  • Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,850 posts
5,548 battles

Oh yes. One of the best ships in the game tier for tier. Great durability and godlike dispersion make it worth your FXP.

• Cool 1

Members
630 posts
707 battles

Bacon

I mean Nelson is great, the only ship that has citadeled is a Musashi from 5km away when I was mostly bow in.

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,888 battles

my favorite part is tank HE spam for 5 mins in the Nelson, be reduced to half health, then laugh at the enemy as you heal to 90& health with press of a button

[O_O]
Members
4,336 posts
9,309 battles
53 minutes ago, geser98 said:

I've earned almost 200k freeXP in the last 10 days by using my copious amount of Papa Papa signals and in a few days, if all goes well, should have enough to get myself a Nelson. Is she worth it? With that amount of freeXP available I can do so many interesting things, like skipping Iowa and getting Montana (since Mighty Money is my most played ship anyway), or finish Ibuki grind and get a Zao, or maybe I'll even have enough for both :) And especially since I'm just about to unlock Richelieu, I'm struggling whether I need another bow-tanker in my port. 

Is Nelson worth it?

1.  Is Nelson worth it?  IMO, yes.

2.  Skipping Iowa.  Again, IMO, skipping a ship completely is a terrible waste of Free XP.  Play the ship.  Maybe use Free XP to upgrade said ship to save yourself from playing a stock ship...but don't skip an entire ship.

3. Fully upgraded ships typically are not painful to grind.  For me, Ibuki was no exception.  She was fine fully upgraded.  My recommendation is not to waste the Free XP to finish the grind on a fine, and fully upgraded, ship.

4.  But, yes, Nelson is worth it.  A great T7 battleship.  I have plenty of British trainers (Warspite, Hood, Duke of York...plus Campbeltown, Gallant, and Belfast), and I still find Nelson to be worth it.  Do it.  Dooo eeeeeet.

[RKLES]
Members
7,112 posts
8,760 battles

Yeah I have already had to research whether or not to get Nelson, and Nelson looks like a really nice ship. I still need another 125k Free XP before I can get her, but I am excited already since developed great liking of British ships, well at least the ones that can make use of AP shells lol.

What really gets good is when you take a captain and pass him between premium ships to collect the daily XP bonuses off each ship. I currently do this with Queen Elizabeth with New Years perma camo, Warspite, and Duke of York. Currently pulling in about 10k Captain XP a day for the British Captain with just playing each of those ships once and not using premium time. And the more premium ships of a class / nation you can stack together the easier it is to rapidly level captains or once Captain is level can make great source of Elite Captain XP. The credit income is nice bonus of dong this as well lol.

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

2.  Skipping Iowa.  Again, IMO, skipping a ship completely is a terrible waste of Free XP.  Play the ship.  Maybe use Free XP to upgrade said ship to save yourself from playing a stock ship...but don't skip an entire ship.

My thinking is that I already have around a million XP on my Mighty Mo, so in a sense I'd done the Iowa grind, I don't think Iowa has anything to offer that I didn't experience in Missouri.

1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

3. Fully upgraded ships typically are not painful to grind.  For me, Ibuki was no exception.  She was fine fully upgraded.  My recommendation is not to waste the Free XP to finish the grind on a fine, and fully upgraded, ship.

Recently I've been struggling with CAs. I've been playing a lot of DD and BB and I can be very aggressive in both, and CAs need a very different mindset, being very careful. 

[VVV]
Beta Testers
799 posts
5,155 battles

I was pondering this question too last week. Needed a T7 BB that was a premium. But figured I could stick with the DOY. However if the Nelson does fires like the Lion and Conq, I may end up getting it.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

Utterly irresistible for a collector being so unique. If it wasn't for the Yamamoto campaign (which I just finished) I would have focused more on here. Will do soon!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,340 posts
9,433 battles
22 minutes ago, geser98 said:

My thinking is that I already have around a million XP on my Mighty Mo, so in a sense I'd done the Iowa grind, I don't think Iowa has anything to offer that I didn't experience in Missouri.

Recently I've been struggling with CAs. I've been playing a lot of DD and BB and I can be very aggressive in both, and CAs need a very different mindset, being very careful. 

I had both Iowa and Missouri at the same time.  This was before the armor buff.

Iowa armor used to be paper thin at the back, but they buffed it a bit.  Couldn't kite an Iowa at all without being deleted.  It was much better when I was nearly done with it.

Iowa has access to spotter -- extended range - and I could rain heavy shells much further than the Missouri.

Missouri has radar..  so you need to get into brawling range to use it..  but Missouri is not a brawler.  A bot Tirpitz will mercilessly chase you down and murder you.

Both T9 US BBs are unforgiving to citadel hits broadside.

[POP]
Members
173 posts
5,362 battles

My Nelson is my mission completer.  Need fires set?  It does that better than anything.  Need citadels?  Switch to AP.  Need raw damage?  Burn baby burn, then switch to AP.  

I love the single minded focus of the ship.  I never have to worry about turning to bring my back three guns into play.  Just a slight angle and all nine guns can be brought to bear.

One of my top three favorite ships in the game.

• Cool 2

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles

Well, I guess I'll keep on grinding freexp :) And credits... gotta buy a Shima now!

[SIDE]
Members
718 posts
3,156 battles
16 hours ago, geser98 said:

Well, I guess I'll keep on grinding freexp :) And credits... gotta buy a Shima now!

Watch out. the Nelson does cost 1 credit. Might break your bank!

[FGNE]
Members
315 posts
2,406 battles

A couple weeks ago I got enough FXP to get Nelson, but I'm holding myself until there is more data about how Kronshtadt will be distributed.

[SYN]
Members
14,379 posts
10,248 battles
19 hours ago, RealNewDeal said:

Bacon

I mean Nelson is great, the only ship that has citadeled is a Musashi from 5km away when I was mostly bow in.

???

Musashi can do that to most BBs

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles

Nelson is a cool Tier VII ship but you must be aware that her citadel protection is a very precarious thing.  Angles you do with other BBs to protect you from other BB AP shells can fail you.  Disastrously.  The inclusion of a Tier X ship into Tier IX, Musashi, makes this even more dangerous.

If you can preserve Nelson and keep the damage to niches, cuts here and there, her Mega Repair Party is AMAZING.  But once you start taking Citadels, that Repair Party is meaningless.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RKN]
Beta Testers
954 posts
8,771 battles

From what I’ve heard and seen, Nelson bashes other ships but gets bashed in return. However, people generally like her. I’m about 100k away myself but taking it slow...a little tired of grinding after getting Musashi a couple of months ago.

p.s. I will say this, the British Premium BBs are more interesting in my opinion than many of the tech tree ships so I say get her.

Edited by SavageTactical

Members
630 posts
707 battles
9 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

???

Musashi can do that to most BBs

I'm just pointing out it took lolpen for me to start getting citadels.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

Picked it up 2 weeks ago, played about 2 dozen games in coop, a couple in random. Only have a 3 pt capt in at the moment. So far i like it.

HE is killer, AP is not working so well for me yet. Actually an ideal coop ship, with the guns forward, it can damage all those front charging bots, and makes money even in an average game (without premium time).

Pretty unique and fun playstyle.