Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

A change to the Radar mechanic

9 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,260 posts
5,679 battles

I think the overabundance of radar has upset the balance in the game. What I suggest is that only the Ship with the equipped radar can see the targets it illuminates with Radar. That way a Destroyer getting spotted by Radar would not be an automatic death sentence. To compensate I would give the Cruisers a slightly longer radar time and range of detection. I would also make it standard equipment on cruisers and put them back in the business of hunting destroyers.

• Bad 1

[WORX]
Members
1,652 posts
12,714 battles

how about radar is only used by a cruiser and only seen by cruisers?BBs using radar can only be seen by BBs. Instead of the whole fleet... I think that would be a light nurff instead of a complete nurff..

• Bad 1

[TYR]
Beta Testers
19 posts
6,315 battles

no and no. radar mechanic just need to be changed so it can only detect the target that are in his line of sight. same goes for sonar

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,169 posts
1,656 battles
10 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I think the overabundance of radar has upset the balance in the game. What I suggest is that only the Ship with the equipped radar can see the targets it illuminates with Radar. That way a Destroyer getting spotted by Radar would not be an automatic death sentence. To compensate I would give the Cruisers a slightly longer radar time and range of detection. I would also make it standard equipment on cruisers and put them back in the business of hunting destroyers.

May as well remove radar for the most part then.

The reason radar is a threat to DDs is because it allows the enemy fleet to open up on the DD.  Limit that to a single cruiser, and heaven forbid it is a heavy cruiser not named Des Moines, then it not only ceases to be significantly dangerous to DDs, it is barely more than an annoyance that makes the DD have to dance for a little bit.

In addition it requires that single cruiser to expose itself to the concentrated fire of the enemy fleet in order to fire on the DD.  The balance of fire moves drastically in the DD's favor.

Edited by Helstrem

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles

Simple and easy fix for radar: (not that WG wants to fix it and not that DD numbers justify the need for a fix)

Enemy ships within radar range:

- Are no longer effected by visibility-effecting conditions (smoke, monsoon)

- Have their detectability increased to gun bloom range.

Bam. Line of sight radar without any additional coding, just modification of existing parameters. That'll be $175 in design consultation fees, thx.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,199 battles
30 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Simple and easy fix for radar: (not that WG wants to fix it and not that DD numbers justify the need for a fix)

Bam. Line of sight radar without any additional coding, just modification of existing parameters. That'll be $175 in design consultation fees, thx.

You know. ...this isn't a bad idea, wonder if it could be implemented keeping balance in mind. cruisers always having active radar within their bloom range would seem more realistic as well. 

Or what about radar cruisers always having LOS active radar at all times but not revealing them to team mates. 

Edited by Megrim3
  • Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,169 posts
1,656 battles
33 minutes ago, Lensar said:

I don't see how that solves the problem of LOS radar.  Sure, the radared ship now only shows up to ships that have LOS, but the revealing radar still isn't required to have LOS.

[90THC]
Beta Testers
49 posts
4,673 battles

get rid of radar then get rid of smoke problem solved no more complaints about both of them

[SS238]
[SS238]
Members
125 posts
22,584 battles

Limiting the visibility of a target ship should apply to all forms of enhanced spotting. Hydo,  radar, and spotter planes should only allow the spotting ship to see the revealed target. The location of the ship could be shown on the mini map to all team players, but that's it.

This game is supposed to be using WW1 & 2 hardware. NTDS (Naval Tactical Data System), which shares information in real time is 30 years in the future. No way should a radar plot on one ship reveal the target for the entire fleet as if it was a clear day.

Sign in to follow this