You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
axyarthur

Nation vs. Nation mode

9 comments in this topic

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,879 battles

So I've wonder what if we have nation vs. nation mode in WoWS, who would win? Here are my thoughts, feel free to comment

Currently there are only 2 nations with complete tech trees in all 4 classes(US, IJN), and 3 nations have tech trees in 3 out of 4(US, IJN, KM), so I will only comment on these match ups. 

T10 match, with CV, +3 BBs, 4 CAs, 4 DDs:

US side have major advantage here. All of their ships have excellent AA, which would neutralize IJN CV advantage, plus Des Moines radar, and Gearing for cap contesting. It would be hard for IJN to mount effective cap or map control in general.

T10 match, no CVs, 4 BBs, 4 CAs, 4 DDs:

Again, US side would have advantage against IJN, but here I think German ships have a good chance against the US. Without any CVs, the German hydro would be major advantage. Plus, Hindenburg is more versatile cruiser than Des Moines, and Z-52 is better cap contester. It will be close call between US and KM, coming down to player skill and team work.

T8 match, with CV

At T8, IJN have a better chance. They still have CV advantage, while the AA disparity is not as large as in T10. Plus, IJN gets gunboat DD in Akizuki, so better cap contester, and Kagero can have stealth advantage over Benson. Mogami and Atago also better cruisers than New Orleans, though US retains radar advantage.

There is Graf Zepplin at T8, so with that, the Germans again have pretty good chance. They again have hydro advantage to neutralize torpedo attacks by DDs, though their CA Hipper / Eugen is lacking compare to US and IJN counterparts. Overall, I think T8 is pretty balanced. I'm not CV player, so I don't know how the GZ will fare in competitive case. Though with the lack of number of squadrons, GZ will be inferior to Shokaku in terms of scouting, which is important in competitive play.

T8 match, no CV

Similar analysis as previous, T8 is pretty balanced, so all sides have their advantages, it comes down to player performance and team work. US have Radar, better BB gun platform, and DD smoke, IJN with better concealment on DDs and torpedo threat, and Germany with hydro on all their ships.

So the next nation to have complete line will likely be UK with RN DDs. It will be interesting to see how they fare. Looking at the current nation vs. nation matchups, I feel US, even though individually their ships might not be best, but they are best suited as a team. If we take into account the coming cruiser rework, the advantages will be even greater. (Gearing smokes Worcester into cap, Worcester will have hydro, radar and DFAA available, inside an almost 2 min smoke, hard to contest that, unless you have radar as well)

What do people think of my analysis? have any clans  done training room scenarios with nation vs. nation matchups? would love to see an actual game of how this works out 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,496 posts
2,061 battles

We've done nation on nation in historical battles before in training rooms. The few WWII pacific battles I've been in the USN beat the hell out of the IJN.

Would be interesting to have a game mode where it was nation vs nation.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

We've done nation on nation in historical battles before in training rooms. The few WWII pacific battles I've been in the USN beat the hell out of the IJN.

Yes.  In the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands scenario in the TR, USN beat the crap out of IJN, but that was because 1) we weren't able to re-create the carrier balance, 2) one of the USN ships was an Atlanta, and no comparable AA beast on the IJN side.  IMO a true recreation would have been closer, and probably dire for the USN.

IMO, the big problem with a nation on nation mode would be MM.

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,758 battles
6 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Lol that is partially thanks to IJN DDs in game do not have full spec Type 93 long lance Torps. :Smile_Default:

[WOLF5]
Members
1,496 posts
2,061 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

IMO, the big problem with a nation on nation mode would be MM.

That's for sure, probably why it isn't a thing yet.

Still, if it was opened up to say, Allies vs Axis over a normal MM spread, it probably wouldn't be that bad. Wouldn't want it to be the usual wait though.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,496 posts
2,061 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol that is partially thanks to IJN DDs in game do not have full spec Type 93 long lance Torps. :Smile_Default:

Well, and torps in game are a lot easier to spot and dodge than IRL. The Japanese torpedo advantage is nearly non-existent in game.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

what? i read people complain about USN sucks compared to other nations

i am for nation vs nation, but without CVs since it's too OP will tip the balance too much

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,879 battles

the problem is the game is not designed for nation vs. nation play. Balance is done with individual ships across tier and class, but not between nations. So if you do say Axis vs. Allies, well, the Allies have all the radar cruisers, which make game play a bit unfair. Plus, "cap control" as in game play objective have no real world equivalent in naval battles. Most battles were decided by destruction of enemy fleets, or control of sea zones in support of convoy / amphibious operations. controlling random circular areas seems pointless in real life. So "winning" in a game sense often doesn't match winning in real historical sense. So ship design that would win in historical battles may not contribute to "winning" in the game sense.

[WOLF7]
Members
125 posts
3,144 battles

There is a CC that is doing something similar, Flambass. Axis vs Allies, using training Room. He is streaming It on YouTube. WG could do something similar easily. If they wanted.