You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Damned filthy sealclubbing advice wanted (ETA: Resolved.)

18 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
3,984 battles

Currently at Tier IV, Karlsruhe.

Decision: stop here, put a 10-pointer in her and benefit from kinder matchmaking? Or advance to the more potent Konigsberg, but have to cope with uptiering?

It matters because the Captain is as yet un-specced - would the same skill set serve for both ships, or would I need to optimise him in different ways? PT, AR, DE, CE is my intended build, but I could drop DE and put in Superintendent if you think an extra hydro charge per game would be of more benefit.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,730 posts
11,353 battles

There are some t4 ships I would recommend keeping as they are fun/good botes... Karlsruhe isn't one of them...

The t5/6 are great fun, a vast improvement over the t4 even with sacrificing the protected MM.

Your build of PT, AR, DE, CE is a good start, I forget if the t5/6 suffer from an easily breakable ruder/engine or not, is so LS might be a good call. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,632 posts
25,386 battles

Karl is not one I'd keep. I second Kapitan_Wulf.

Königsberg is way better and more fun. Sure, T5 is tougher and you see T7 often, but consider most weekly loot missions start at T5. T4 doesn't play except for fun or clubbing. Karl is not a keeper.

Instead I kept Kuma and I kow people that kept Phoenix (not me, as I dislike Phoenix).

Another decent cruiser at T4 that may be a keeper is Doogie Trousers.

[HEROS]
Members
1,410 posts
11,837 battles

well if you want to club seals you'll need to stay in tier IV or below, but once you reach service rank 15 the kid gloves come off anyway

(might even be a lower rank!)

JUst be aware, sometime them seals, they club back!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,509 posts
7,393 battles

I kept the Dooogie for T4 seal-club  play.. The Karl should be free-xp'ed around as soon as you can.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,340 posts
3,669 battles

As it has already been said, Karlsruhe isn't the keeper type of ship at tier 4 if you are keen on clubbing. At the moment the strong sealclubber ships are Clemson, Orion -at least until the nerf-, Shenyang, and of course Nikolai. Regarding cruisers, I think Kuma and Phoenix are good enough, though also a Svietlana with Commander skills to abuse the 130mm guns is pretty strong.

Members
4,463 posts
6,199 battles
26 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

As it has already been said, Karlsruhe isn't the keeper type of ship at tier 4 if you are keen on clubbing. At the moment the strong sealclubber ships are Clemson, Orion -at least until the nerf-, Shenyang, and of course Nikolai. Regarding cruisers, I think Kuma and Phoenix are good enough, though also a Svietlana with Commander skills to abuse the 130mm guns is pretty strong.

Svetlana IMO is underestimated. She can pump out shells like crazy AND she can torp from damn near any angle.  Almost directly behind her. Good ship IMO.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
3,984 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

As luck may have it, I have one of those - 10 point captain with PT, LS, BFT, AFT. I have considered a respec, but range and rate of fire seemed to be the things to go for, and I've had my rudder crippled so many times I felt it worth protecting. Later down the road I will be thinking about demolition expert, adrenaline rush or both, but for now this seemed the best way to go.

43 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Svetlana IMO is underestimated. She can pump out shells like crazy AND she can torp from damn near any angle.  Almost directly behind her. Good ship IMO.

See above.

1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

Sure, T5 is tougher and you see T7 often, but consider most weekly loot missions start at T5. T4 doesn't play except for fun or clubbing. Karl is not a keeper.

Instead I kept Kuma and I kow people that kept Phoenix (not me, as I dislike Phoenix).

Another decent cruiser at T4 that may be a keeper is Doogie Trousers.

Noted. I also do have the Kuma and am on my way to the Furutaka.

As for the French cruisers, Port slots are at a premium right now; I will not be climbing any further lines until after the US cruiser split, or unless British destroyers appear in the meantime.

Members
288 posts
4,331 battles

I like the Karl, still play her and do well in her.  I had a much harder time with the Konigsberg, so no problem selling her when I unlocked the Tier VI.  Though the two are very similar, I am doing much better with Nurnberg.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
3,984 battles

Since both the Karlsruhe and the Konigsberg have 5.9" guns, I've decided I'm going to put my 10 point captain in, fit him out as PT, AR, DE, CE, and see how much this helps with the Tier IV grind. The skill set will still be useful when he gets to Tier V.

[NGA-A]
[NGA-A]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,264 posts
3,365 battles

I like to club in the death pickle and the Arkansas. Both have 19 pointers in them. German t4 DD is great as well as the Pan Asian one.

Other than that I would say to keep some t5 as well for missions and such since t4 won't see those.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
3,984 battles
On 4/20/2018 at 12:41 PM, JollyRoger6969 said:

I like to club in the death pickle

What on earth is the Death Pickle?

[NGA-A]
[NGA-A]
1,264 posts
3,365 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What on earth is the Death Pickle?

Iwaki alpha

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
3,984 battles
2 hours ago, JollyRoger6969 said:

Iwaki alpha

How did it get that name? Shape and camo colour?

[KNMSU]
Members
1,521 posts
818 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How did it get that name? Shape and camo colour?

Probably

[NGA-A]
[NGA-A]
1,264 posts
3,365 battles

Green camo and torps are the pickles of doom

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
3,984 battles

The issue resolved itself when the Graf Spee became dirt cheap, so the purse-strings loosened at last and I picked her up and her 500 doubloons too. Now I have a home for my 10 point captain, and as I already have other seal-clubbing ships the point is moot.

I may revisit the cruiser line in future, but for now the Graf is keeping my captain occupied and me happy (sort of; I'm still trying to find a playing style that suits both me and the ship, but I like exploring these things).