You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Tirpitz? Low win rate?

16 comments in this topic

Members
4,438 posts
6,121 battles

I thought about getting her.  I took a look at her numbers and she is second to last in win rate in her tier at 49.87%....according to Warships Today. She is also waaay down the list of all BBs in the game. Why?  This ship, on paper, appears very potent and was IRL. One would think, maybe, she would at least be over 50%. Why is is she so low in win rate? Players getting her that don't know what they are doing?  Something else?  I bought Scharnhorst awhile back and she has lived up to her reputation. Tirpitz? Comments? 

Edited by dmckay

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

I would guess that a LOT of inexperienced players bought her as one of their first premiums and got way in over their heads.  Thus, one of her nicknames, the Derpitz...

Edited by delp5117
  • Cool 1

[-THOR]
Members
547 posts
3,108 battles

Yeah. Many new people purchased the Tirpitz without having any idea on how to play at tier 8, and as a result, have poor win-rates.

If you are good then you should have absolutely no problem.

Members
4,438 posts
6,121 battles
3 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

I would guess that a LOT of inexperienced players bought her as one of their first premiums and got way in over their heads.  Thus, one of her nicknames, the Derpitz...

I thought that might be the case. "Ok I got 20 matches played in tier 2....I now ready for tier 8 BB"   O ya.  heh

[WOLF5]
Members
1,480 posts
2,041 battles

It ain't named the Derpitz for nothing.

Lot noobs buy one and then get into T10, well, T10 is rough if you've never played higher than T3.

Members
4,438 posts
6,121 battles
4 minutes ago, TitanicMan2 said:

Yeah. Many new people purchased the Tirpitz without having any idea on how to play at tier 8, and as a result, have poor win-rates.

If you are good then you should have absolutely no problem.

Tks.  I got 53% win rate in Scharn which, for me, is not bad. Maybe I could handle Tirpitz. Got a lotta experience now. Getting Scharnhorst was best move I ever made.  Numbers moving UP and I like winning.  Not a stat freak.  Average overall, but I know the history of Tirpitz and I think she is cool. 

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,651 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Tks.  I got 53% win rate in Scharn which, for me, is not bad. Maybe I could handle Tirpitz. Got a lotta experience now. Getting Scharnhorst was best move I ever made.  Numbers moving UP and I like winning.  Not a stat freak.  Average overall, but I know the history of Tirpitz and I think she is cool. 

I have both, and I do better in Tirpitz than in Scharnhorst.  I do have a better commander in Tirpitz (13-point vs 8-point).

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

I'm at 54% in mine.  If you like the Bismarck, you should be able to do well in the Tirpitz, too.  Just be prepared to play a lot of Tier X matches.

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles
1 minute ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I have both, and I do better in Tirpitz than in Scharnhorst.  I do have a better commander in Tirpitz (13-point vs 8-point).

You could put both of those captains in tech tree BB's (I actually use my 19 pt Hindy captain in Scharn, too) and start playing them for their first win bonuses in multiple ships.  Get you to elite level much faster...

Members
4,438 posts
6,121 battles
22 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Interesting.  Not sure I am tier 10 material plus I am not real keen on facing tier 10 ships which I would in Tirpitz. Tempting however. I play a lot of mid-tier cruisers. Scharn is highest tier ship I have. Tks.

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,651 battles
26 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

You could put both of those captains in tech tree BB's (I actually use my 19 pt Hindy captain in Scharn, too) and start playing them for their first win bonuses in multiple ships.  Get you to elite level much faster...

True.

The captain in Tirpitz is my lead German BB captain who is currently spec'd for Gneisenau.  The only reason they are not further along is that I am focusing on the USN BB line.  I just acquired Montana, so I will develop a new focus soon.

I am buffing captains for Ranked right now.  I expect to have the 14th point on this lead German BB captain by the start of the season.

Edited by YeOldeTraveller

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,651 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Interesting.  Not sure I am tier 10 material plus I am not real keen on facing tier 10 ships which I would in Tirpitz. Tempting however. I play a lot of mid-tier cruisers. Scharn is highest tier ship I have. Tks.

I do okay in Tier 10 battles, I just have to be careful.

I'm still mid-tier for many lines, but I'm getting more into, and a bit better at, high-tier play.  I may have run up the lines faster that I should have.

[RKLES]
Members
7,075 posts
8,720 battles
50 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

This is exactly the reason why Tirpitz would have low average WR since new players often love barely playing low tier before grabbing tier 8 ships or tanks if they are able to. And German BBs Tier VII+ get cranky if misused and low point captain thrown in them. I would say Bismarck’s Sever average WR  would be better estimate of what Tirpitz can do.

Experienced players like me that have a 19 point Bismarck Captain can just move that Captain between Tirpitz ( if we have one) and Bismarck and do well in Tirpitz. Especially since while back Wargaming buffed Tirpitz Secondaries to better match Bismarck if I remember correctly.

Lol if you want to know what happens to a German BB that lacks proper Captain just take a look at my Gneisenau WR compared to my Bismarck WR. Lol my poor Gneisenau was abused as one of my earlier BBs and had to put up with helping train captains, she finally is getting treated better by getting her own dedicated captain finally.

• Cool 1

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,651 battles

@Admiral_Thrawn_1

The disparity between my Bismarck and my Tirpitz would provide additional support for this.  I've been training up the captain I got with the ship from the campaign.  (Currently, I am running that captain on Scharnhorst.)

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,538 posts
13,977 battles

Tirpitz is fine.

XBitx85.jpg

Use more recent stats and discard those from when the game was a lot more different.