You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wulfgarn

Ranked T10 DD: Your pick?

Which DD do you intend to play for Ranked season 9?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which DD are you planning on using for Ranked season 9?

• Shimakaze
    • Gearing
    • Z-52
    • Khabarovsk
    • Grozovoi
    • Yueyang
    • Bacon

54 comments in this topic

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

If you plan on running a DD for Ranked this season, which will you use?

• Cool 2

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

Shima: nope.
Gearing: best 'middle' choise
z-52: good for people how really kow how-to-use-it
khaba: i'm a cruiser not a dd!
Grozovoi: Only if be a lot cvs.
Yueyang: good alternative to gearing but not kill dds with torps so not the best choice.

[-K-]
Supertester
5,146 posts
8,942 battles

Z-52 and YY, although it really depends on how the meta develops. Solo-carrying is easier sub-R5. Once you get past it, I've found that playing a DD as a support yields best results. Granted, that was my experience in T8 last season. T10 might be a completely different animal. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT
  • Cool 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,073 battles

Can’t see running the Yue with radar, so going for cap fighting with the Z-52 (and faster torp reload times). 

[T8ERS]
Members
40 posts
8,717 battles

I usually go with the lowest concealment DD and play the outspotting game. If shima gets the concealment buff that will be my choice. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,820 posts
10,747 battles
6 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Z-52 and YY, although it really depends on how the meta develops. Solo-carrying is easier sub-R5. Once you get past it, I've found that playing a DD as a support yields best results

That requires teammates that know what to do with the support. Never gone beyond R12 so I don't know if higher rank players coordinate enough for that.

Edited by chewonit

[SYN]
Members
4,530 posts
11,433 battles

Gearing, of course.  Especially since I have a 19 point captain aboard.

Great stealth, great torpedoes, great guns.  Nice, flexible package.

[-K-]
Supertester
5,146 posts
8,942 battles
2 minutes ago, chewonit said:

That requires teammates that know what to do with the support. Never gone beyond R12 so I don't know if higher rank players coordinate enough for that.

I felt like there was more teamplay past R5. Playing the LY last season prior to R5, I usually just rushed the caps, killed the DDs and then ran around killing stuff. Past R5, I played it more cautiously, smoked allied cruisers, spotted incoming torps, and provided vision. Several games I did no damage whatsoever, but it was extremely successful because people were generally good enough to take advantage of my support. Granted, while playing that way may result in more wins, it almost never saves a star. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles

Only the ones that I have. So Bacon.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,820 posts
10,747 battles
2 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

I felt like there was more teamplay past R5. Playing the LY last season prior to R5, I usually just rushed the caps, killed the DDs and then ran around killing stuff. Past R5, I played it more cautiously, smoked allied cruisers, spotted incoming torps, and provided vision. Several games I did no damage whatsoever, but it was extremely successful because people were generally good enough to take advantage of my support. Granted, while playing that way may result in more wins, it almost never saves a star. 

In that case, I wonder maybe radar YueYang will have the same success as in CB.

Members
606 posts
5,427 battles

Not sure if DDs are the right choice, i am expecting lot of cruisers, Hindenburg, Moskva, DM. Which means a lot of Hydro's and radar's

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

Guess I'm the first to vote Shimakaze...which is what I'll be using for Ranked, probably even if I am able to unlock Gearing before the season is over (I'm not actually that far away, having a Fletcher with about 150k XP on the grind).

Shimakaze walls of skill FTW! :Smile_trollface:

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles
23 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Only if you get the R5 fast. Because after 2 weeks its become terrible part because some rare teans totaly play in teans and other teans have 2-3players how totaly give up the match.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
779 posts
6,640 battles

Gearing, since it's the only T10 DD I own. Although, the Z-52 and Yueyang are probably slightly better DD picks. It'll be interesting to see if the Shimakaze with her buffed concealment (if it comes out in time for Ranked) will be a strong alternative to the aforementioned three ships.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

Gearing for me since I don't have a YueYang, but I could also see a radar YueYang being really useful (don't have one yet tho, only at the Hsienyang).  I can see the Z52 and Shima being situationally solid depending on the player.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,562 battles

In terms of what I think is strongest, def YY and then Gearing / Z-52

In terms of what  i will play? Gearing cause thats all i have. 

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

Look at the new Russian DD, Grozovoi got no love.  Let’s petition WG to put Moskva radar on the poor thing, it will change things around :cap_haloween:

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
25 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Guess I'm the first to vote Shimakaze...which is what I'll be using for Ranked, probably even if I am able to unlock Gearing before the season is over (I'm not actually that far away, having a Fletcher with about 150k XP on the grind).

Shimakaze walls of skill FTW! :Smile_trollface:

You know, with the concealment buff a Shimakaze can actually be a viable choice in the hands of a very skilled player. That concealment advantage is no joke when it comes to the ability to scout, especially in mid to late-game, and the Shimakaze can use its speed to really leverage that concealment advantage.

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

Grozovoi is the one and only DD i do not have, I'll bring whichever i'm in the mood for, they all have different play style but my bread and butter DD is the Gearing.  :)

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
2 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

You know, with the concealment buff a Shimakaze can actually be a viable choice in the hands of a very skilled player. That concealment advantage is no joke when it comes to the ability to scout, especially in mid to late-game, and the Shimakaze can use its speed to really leverage that concealment advantage.

I've also had a fair bit of practice with the Shima in competitive environments, thanks to Clan Wars. So I'm fairly confident that I at least won't make a total [edited] out of myself upon reaching Rank 10.

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,243 battles
1 hour ago, sbcptnitro said:

What is Bacon's concealment?

Bacon's concealment is one of the worst.  Any time my wife makes it, I smell it anywhere in the house, my dog smells it, my neighbors, etc.  But bacon does have the ability to be a distraction.  Sail Bacon off to a corner of the map and the enemy will come running to get some.  Just hope your teammates don't do the same.

• Funny 2

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles
3 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

Tested the Shima with new concealment buff last week, not impressed and made practically zero difference in random battles. Still got lit up by Yueyang and all other radar ships all day every day. Any other DD would chew up the Shima like KFC fried chicken.

• Cool 1