Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
zubalkabir

Salem oddity

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

63
[DOG]
Members
381 posts
5,599 battles

Was just browsing Wiki to see if they'd put in any new entries, and I noticed something odd about Salem's (and Des Moines') guns.  The 8" guns actually reload 1/2 second faster than the 5" guns.  I know having a fast firing main battery is the shtick for these ships, but faster than dual purpose 5"?  Seems a bit much.  I'm not suggesting WG make any changes or anything.  I just found it mildly amusing, and thought I'd share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,519
[HINON]
Supertester
18,954 posts
12,460 battles

Balance reasons. The 5" are secondaries and are nerfed compared to their historical performance in range, ROF and accuracy, in order to keep gameplay for destroyers more fair. Meanwhile the 203s are the ship's main weapons and have been buffed at least once in ROF since beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
62
[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
293 posts
4,947 battles

They are auto loading guns as opposed to everyone else’s man loaded guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,519
[HINON]
Supertester
18,954 posts
12,460 battles
4 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

They are auto loading guns as opposed to everyone else’s man loaded guns.

Were the 5" secondaries on DM manually loaded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,578
[TASH]
Members
4,995 posts
7,918 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

Were the 5" secondaries on DM manually loaded?

They aren't any different than the other 5"/38s on other USN ships, just with a really gimped RoF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
152
[DESU]
Members
180 posts
4,293 battles

5"/38's are hand-loaded guns, Des Moines on the other hand, the guns are automatically loaded and fired, only exception being loading the carriages.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
63
[DOG]
Members
381 posts
5,599 battles
1 hour ago, Arlios said:

5"/38's are hand-loaded guns, Des Moines on the other hand, the guns are automatically loaded and fired, only exception being loading the carriages.

I'm assuming the propellant is encased in brass and all one piece with the projectile on the 5".  So hand loading would only take, what? 3-5 seconds?  About the same as a 120mm shell in an M1 Abrams.  I've helped load 155mm howitzers (mounted on Paladins).  The projectile (which, IIRC, weighed about 100 lbs/50kg) was separate from the propellant, which was in bags.  I'm guessing the 8" guns on DM or Salem had a similar arrangement?  Except I guess the shells and bags were both auto-loaded, and not slammed into the breech by hand.  Which might actually make it faster?  Not sure.

I know it's just a game, and, as Lert mentioned, real life goes out the window for balance and playability.  And with modules and commander's skills, the secondaries could be made to fire faster than the main guns, if that was a priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
152
[DESU]
Members
180 posts
4,293 battles
1 hour ago, zubalkabir said:

I'm assuming the propellant is encased in brass and all one piece with the projectile on the 5".  So hand loading would only take, what? 3-5 seconds?  About the same as a 120mm shell in an M1 Abrams.  I've helped load 155mm howitzers (mounted on Paladins).  The projectile (which, IIRC, weighed about 100 lbs/50kg) was separate from the propellant, which was in bags.  I'm guessing the 8" guns on DM or Salem had a similar arrangement?  Except I guess the shells and bags were both auto-loaded, and not slammed into the breech by hand.  Which might actually make it faster?  Not sure.

I know it's just a game, and, as Lert mentioned, real life goes out the window for balance and playability.  And with modules and commander's skills, the secondaries could be made to fire faster than the main guns, if that was a priority.

Sorry, I wrote that poorly.

Des moines uses a shell and brass system, Loading, Firing and Ejecting are all

The only guns on the Des Moines class that are autoloading at the main guns. Everything else is handled by hand

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×