You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pigeon_of_War

Pigeon's Weekly Thought April 18th, 2018

63 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Developers, Administrator, Moderator, F&F, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,089 posts
3,712 battles

Hello Captains!

I was talking the other day with @SeaRaptor00 about German Cruisers and frankly I found I'm just not good a the line (I wish I was, but I don't feel like forcing the skillset). That said, I found that United States cruisers favored me a lot more. This brings me to my question this week:

What is your favorite tech tree ship line? Why is it as such? Of course I can simply see what tree gets more play on the server, but I'm curious "why". Was it a Premium Ship that complementing the line to get you playing it? Maybe some emotional connection? National Pride? Let me hear from you!

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[NDA]
Supertester
4,768 posts
13,551 battles

There can only be One Fletcher to rule them All. 

:Smile_izmena:

Members
168 posts
7,651 battles

USN Battleships, as I'm a volunteer aboard the USS North Carolina and I probably would still have only Flight Sims and First Person Shooters installed on my PC if not for her being in game.

• Cool 2

Members
4,730 posts
5,459 battles

Despite the general opinion of the line being bad, or in a bad state(mind you, there are a good handful of improvements that could be made to some ships in it to make the line more comfortable/play better), I think my favorite line(s) are the IJN DD line(s).

It probably has to do with the high skill floor/ceiling. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to get them to work, and work well, but I seem to be able to produce results fairly consistently in them. The challenge required in making them work well brings an immense amount of satisfaction and enjoyment after a game. And to me, I feel that they're pretty versatile when it comes to their armament and how they can engage enemies. Veterans of the line will have learned how and when to use the guns, which are almost universally discarded by the masses as useless. But learning how and when to use them opens up more opportunities to engage and influence a match. It makes the ships feel more multi-purposed than they look on the surface. With them generally being the last ones to get spotted, having hard hitting, relatively fast torpedoes with good range, and guns that can be made to work if utilized in the proper situations, I think they're stronger than most will admit, granted there are some ships that could use some adjustments to make them play better or more comfortably.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,910 battles

Russian DD's...

just love spraying and praying like a **bleep**

other than that german cruisers. HE is great and just excellent at kiting

[TBW]
Members
6,291 posts
11,844 battles

Is it wrong to not have a favorite, my favorite lines are the ones I don't have to tier 10 yet I guess.

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
681 posts
10,314 battles

With the exception of Izumo IJN BB's I love the long range accuracy 

• Cool 1

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

there are only 2 ships in this game (so far) that i don't enjoy. T-22 and the Karl. T-22 because i just don't get along with it. Karl because i still get flashbacks.

everything else i've enjoyed playing for the most part. i like testing my flexibility and figuring out what makes each ship tick. i don't know if there is a single line that i've enjoyed more than others. there are probably ships i played a long time ago that i would enjoy a lot more than when i originally played them if i picked them up now.

Edited by MidnightShamalan

[WOLF5]
Members
1,475 posts
2,041 battles

USN BBs are the reason I play the game. Mostly their historical value, but I like the way they play in game too.

Russian cruisers are my next goal. Tearing around at top speed burning everything is a lot of fun when I try them on the PTS.

• Funny 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Favorite line? I'm going to say German cruisers for absolute favorite, but there are a LOT of lines that I like. The French and American cruisers have been good to me, and IJN cruisers are also fun (what? I like cruisers) though Myoko is a bit of pain. Despite me liking light cruisers a lot the British are surprisingly souring on me a bit. iDunno, Leander was fun at first but I think I just had good luck when I first got her, hopefully the Fiji fixes that. I'm enjoying the French and German BBs, I want to go further down the US line too but... Gods New Mexico and Colorado are sooooo sloooooow. British BBs have been good though, can't wait for KGV though I'm taking a break from my Queen Elizabeth to train up her captain in the Nelson (which I LOVE). That's pretty much it. I wouldn't call either of the CV lines or any of the DDs a "favorite", though if I had to pick a favorite DD line it would be German.

Members
40 posts
4,243 battles

I personally have had a fascination with DKM battleships going all the way back to second grade, so that was the first line I ever played. But, I have to say, it may have been supplanted by the new French battleships. They fit my play style to a T, and are just straight up fun to play because of fact that they fit.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I really grew to love playing the IJN cruisers. Zaō was my first T10, and the line is what helped me, git gud with cruisers.

[NEP]
[NEP]
Members
30 posts
9,440 battles

I love the RN CL line. I think it is absolutely one of the best lines WG has done in recent years. Yes, I think it's more balanced than RN BB, French CAs and French BBs. :V

[CAN1A]
Beta Testers
40 posts
5,286 battles

ok I started with most of the IJN lines and some of the USN (DD and CA) only. My fav though has been IJN CA's it started as IJN DD's as i liked the play style of both but with the IJN line split (read major nerf) I continued to like the CA's but not so much the DD's. I hoping the split of the USN CA's do not disappoint me like IJN DD split or the russian DD split. as I'm tantaliszing close to the t10 Demoine but not gunna make it before the split (about 40 k into the Baltimore after upgrades...) .  I guess its the consistance play style of the IJN CA's which help you built toward T10 not a confusing jumble of different style ships like other lines. Just my 2 cents ...just say'in :0

[POP]
Members
1,223 posts
7,991 battles

IJN DDs. Sneaky little rascals... even today after 3 nerfs. 

• Cool 2

[EOD]
Members
39 posts
3,491 battles

Since I started playing the game since its Open Beta, I have to say the IJN Cruiser line has always been my favorite. For some reason I just enjoy having 8" gun cruisers. Bigger guns, bigger damage, rewarded by making shots count rather than just chucking volley after volley downrange. Also helped that the Atago was my first premium ship, so learning the playstyle was something I had to learn fast to get a decent credit income. Also, even I'll admit the grind for Zao feels totally worth it when I see the majority of my shots clustering right on target all the time.

German Cruisers come in a close second, just because going into higher tiers the big guns giving me heavy damage was a nice thing for me to have.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
12 hours ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Hello Captains!

I was talking the other day with @SeaRaptor00 about German Cruisers and frankly I found I'm just not good a the line (I wish I was, but I don't feel like forcing the skillset). That said, I found that United States cruisers favored me a lot more. This brings me to my question this week:

What is your favorite tech tree ship line? Why is it as such? Of course I can simply see what tree gets more play on the server, but I'm curious "why". Was it a Premium Ship that complementing the line to get you playing it? Maybe some emotional connection? National Pride? Let me hear from you!

As a former USN sailor when I started this game, I tried the USN Line - BB, CV, CA, and DDs well my former branch of the service ships and just did not work for me. So I tried the German Line - BB and CAs - I could just not get into them.

So it was the RN CL, and at first I thought I found my line until I hit Tier 7, nope not for me. Tried the Russian then the IJN, the Russians just did not fit, but I did like the IJN and used them for awhile.

It was not until the French Line Cruisers came out did I really start enjoying a line, now it is also the French Battleships both line just seemed to click with me, and thanks to @AdmiralThunder Co-op Carnage Contest, I have a BB that I wanted the Dunkerque.

And thanks to two friends I also have the De Grasse and the mighty Alabama, so who knows I may try my old service branch again, but only after I have Tiers 3 to 10 of the Marine Nationale's Battleships and Cruisers.

But I have Jack Dunkirk, Moeka China and Isoroku waiting to get ships, so who knows which line next?

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
833 posts
9,436 battles
10 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

IJN DDs. Sneaky little rascals... even today after 3 nerfs. 

I started the IJN DD line just like everyone else and it was a great ride!

I somehow got a Leander last year and decided to try it and the RN CL line became my favorite.

[POP]
Members
1,223 posts
7,991 battles
6 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

I started the IJN DD line just like everyone else and it was a great ride!

I somehow got a Leander last year and decided to try it and the RN CL line became my favorite.

Yeah, the RN CL are hecka fun too. I'm grinding the Neptune and in the right situation, it's brutal. 

[ECCHI]
[ECCHI]
Members
94 posts
5,602 battles

IJN cruisers - good speed, good guns, good torpedoes.

Now also enjoying FR cruisers and battleships - 8, 9 and 10 of both are good fun.

[PVE]
Members
8,767 posts
7,225 battles

US cruisers. They and the US battleships are the most played ships by me. It is also national pride and the history of the USN in WWII. People kept telling me when I started to not play US cruisers as they stink. I think the US cruisers are good and I am eagerly awaiting for the US cruiser split. Des Moines is my first T10 and has my first 19pt captain.

[PVE]
Members
491 posts
4,060 battles

Nagato and the IJN BB line. Accurate guns and good range give them a lot of flexibility.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,020 posts
7,599 battles

Royal Navy Battleships are my favourite.  There's no small amount of Commonwealth pride feeding into that, but there's also my kinship with HMS Warspite during the early days of World of Warships which fuels it too.  I have enjoyed my time with the British dreadnoughts and I would love to see more premiums (four British premium battleships isn't enough)!  When can I expect to see my Conqueror design get greenlit, @Pigeon_of_War?

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
282 posts
9,059 battles

I absolutely suck at all ships, all lines. I absolutely love the Russian cruiser/DD lines

[WOLF2]
Members
262 posts
4,283 battles

I'm pretty much US all the way (National pride). I started the game playing and loving the US CVs but ever since the load out changes for carriers it's been a horrible grind. I'm on the Essex now but I hardly play it because of all the hate that comes my way if I'm being beat in the air. I've noticed that early in game if the other CV driver is better than you (or any friendly CV) you are gonna have a bad day.  For now I've put the CV line on the shelf. 

I do, however, LOVE the US cruiser line and have done so from the beginning. I now have the Des Moines. Cruisers are soft targets but I love the rapid fire of ALL cruisers.  In the right position you can really put the hurt on the enemy team and make BBs run away with their tails between their legs.

I have been dabbling with other lines and some honorable mentions so far would be German cruisers and IJN Battleships.