Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EJ_TANK

DD smoke

9 comments in this topic

[-_W_-]
Members
32 posts
4,167 battles

I just had a quick question about the 20% smoke increase skill. Does the smoke increase perk affect the detectability of firing ships? It seems to me that it should, otherwise it seems like kind of a waste of skill points.

[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts
15 minutes ago, EJ_TANK said:

I just had a quick question about the 20% smoke increase skill. Does the smoke increase perk affect the detectability of firing ships? It seems to me that it should, otherwise it seems like kind of a waste of skill points.

Just makes your smoke circles larger. This is helpful if you need more room to move around while firing from smoke or need to cover a wider area to conceal other ships.

• Cool 2

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
8 hours ago, EJ_TANK said:

otherwise it seems like kind of a waste of skill points.

I'd tried it a few times, but since the changes to smoke detection mechanics, it's not really worth it. Previously you could use it to make space for BBs in your smoke cloud, but now it doesn't work. For RN CLs it might be useful, but if a person knows how to shoot into smoke, they will hit you regardless of the size of smoke cloud.

Members
1,654 posts
9,730 battles
19 minutes ago, geser98 said:

I'd tried it a few times, but since the changes to smoke detection mechanics, it's not really worth it. Previously you could use it to make space for BBs in your smoke cloud, but now it doesn't work. For RN CLs it might be useful, but if a person knows how to shoot into smoke, they will hit you regardless of the size of smoke cloud.

There are tactics to mitigate that.

The real advantage of SSE in RN CLs is the extra room allows you to smoke up a div mate easier, and the additional room allows you to move more aggressively in the smoke to dodge blind fire.

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
2 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

The real advantage of SSE in RN CLs is the extra room allows you to smoke up a div mate easier, and the additional room allows you to move more aggressively in the smoke to dodge blind fire.

I've tried it, but found it to be too situational to spend 2 points on. And as for "dodging" - if it's actual blind fire, the dispersion is so large that you can't really dodge, shells fall all over the place. On the other hand if an enemy is using potter plane to pinpoint your position in smoke, it's not hard to see what direction you're moving in and still hit you.

Members
1,654 posts
9,730 battles
1 hour ago, geser98 said:

I've tried it, but found it to be too situational to spend 2 points on. And as for "dodging" - if it's actual blind fire, the dispersion is so large that you can't really dodge, shells fall all over the place. On the other hand if an enemy is using potter plane to pinpoint your position in smoke, it's not hard to see what direction you're moving in and still hit you.

Nothing is perfect but IMO only a few players can reliably land such shots esp when you stay angled and moving in smoke.  Combine that with firing just over the top of island cover and you are really hard to hit.

Members
842 posts
10 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Nothing is perfect but IMO only a few players can reliably land such shots esp when you stay angled and moving in smoke.  Combine that with firing just over the top of island cover and you are really hard to hit.

At long range (12km+) that's certainly true: moving around slightly in smoke means that anyone hitting you is doing so pretty much out of pure luck or just saturation fire.

But inside 10km, even while undetected, it's not that hard to hit a RN CL firing out of smoke.  All you have to do is zoom in via Binoculars mode, and watch for their salvos coming out. Seeing where their front and rear turret salvos come from are a massive giveaway as to the position.  In that scenario, I have zero problems reliably landing shots.  Not as many as if I could see, obviously, but I tend to score maybe half what I'd do with full vision.  And the lower range means I'm hitting more anyway.

Moreover, the really crappy acceleration/decelleration of the RN CLs means that they don't move well inside their smoke, so it's actually easier to hit a RN CL in smoke than most other CA/CLs. 

TL;DR: Hitting an RN CL in a smoke screen at under 10km really isn't hard, and you can pretty reliably do so at about a 15-20% hit rate, even in a BB. Above 10km, it's more of a crap shoot, and I'd estimate no more than 10% hit rate, at best. 

Edited by EAnybody

Sign in to follow this