You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HorrorRoach

Port Queen = Defective product

57 comments in this topic

[EREKT]
Members
752 posts
5,758 battles

Q: Why did you buy a crappy ship?

A: Because I'm a ship collector!

In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort (psychological stress) experienced by a person who simultaneously holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values. The occurrence of cognitive dissonance is a consequence of a person performing an action that contradicts personal beliefs, ideals, and values; and also occurs when confronted with new information that contradicts said beliefs, ideals, and values.[1][2]

Stockholm syndrome consists of "strong emotional ties that develop between two persons where one person intermittently harasses, beats, threatens, abuses, or intimidates the other."[2] 

Edited by HorrorRoach
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles
6 minutes ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

Tirpitz? 

Lol tirpitz is in no way a port queen. 

• Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
19 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

What ship?

Post like these makes glad I am not a Forum Moderator.

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,392 battles
15 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Because within the confines of my innate and latex covered subconscious, i just received a nice pay increase. Since I have some
surplus funds, I decided to  splash out on a worthless boat, so psychologist's around the world, can beat my head in with some relatively
benign, but not too insignificant mumbo jumbo.

:Smile-_tongue::Smile_popcorn:

[EQRN]
Members
300 posts
8,632 battles

The title and the question don’t necessarily jive.  I have port queens because I’m grinding tech trees at the moment and don’t need retraining or a ship can’t retrain (Perth).  I have port queens because WG gave me free stuff.  I have bought what some have called crappy ships (Dunk and Gascogne) because I like having premiums to assist with grinding the Fr BBs, they are not port queens and I’ve not done too bad with them, they are not port queens.  There is dissonance with the OP.

[SSBN]
Members
291 posts
4,911 battles

I have had love hate relationships with most of my premiums at one point or another, but I still play them all.  Most notable lemon I have? The Indianapolis.  Yes yes it has citadels for days. 

[TGG]
Members
35 posts
4,057 battles

I'm not getting the point.   Are people not allowed to enjoy the game how they want?     

I have the Alabama.  I've been ON the Alabama.  I'm lucky it's a good ship, despite the fact everytime I play it, it seems like I end up on a Potato team (along with the Gascogne) and they have (respectively) 30% and 32% win-rates over a combined 72 battles.  

I have the Enterprise, I truly regret that they didn't turn her into a Museum ship.   I've only played it a few times and only in PvE and have a whopping total of 4681XP on it...   She's a port-queen, and I'm happy to have her as a port queen.  Worth every penny because I'm a WWII history buff and The Grey Ghost is my favorite ship of all time.  (Add in I'm a trekkie and it was a must purchase....)

I bought the Tirpitz when I was Tier V (at best) in most lines.  I bought it, and played it quite a bit, to go up against higher-level players in order improve my skills.   And despite the fact that its global win-rate is about 48%, I've managed a good 54% in it.  

And I have others.  Some I bought for the collecting (like the Enterprise).   Some I bought for the training (like the Tirpitz).  Some I bought to make money (like the Belfast).  

• Cool 4

[TGG]
Members
35 posts
4,057 battles
13 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

I have had love hate relationships with most of my premiums at one point or another, but I still play them all.  Most notable lemon I have? The Indianapolis.  Yes yes it has citadels for days. 

That's another famous ship I bought just to have.  I play it every now and then, but it is a citadel waiting to happen.   However, it's fun to play when' you're high tier and those DDs who think they're so clever by hiding in smoke suddenly find out that 203mm guns and radar are a deadly combination and their smoke is worthless.   OTOH, it's pretty miserable in a Tier IX match.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,514 battles

Q: Why did you make this post?

A: Other people buy things I wouldn't, ergo they must be stupid.

In the field of psychology, egocentrism is the inability to differentiate between self and other. More specifically, it is the inability to untangle subjective schemas from objective reality; an inability to understand or assume any perspective other than their own.

• Cool 10
  • Funny 5

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
18,965 battles
44 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

I'm all for hyperbole however I wouldn't say there are any defective ships in the game (I suppose GZ and the first iteration of Mikasa could qualify).

Some may not perform as you want in PvP based on team composition, MM, maps, tiers, etc. but that is far from defective. Might I remind you that there is always Co-op where all ships and a player with a pulse can find success. I have a number of ships I know aren't the best choices for me so I play them in co-op and enjoy them there.

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,368 battles

This should be about all the tier 5 Premiums that no one plays anymore BC of +2 MM they always see. I have all the tier 5 Premiums except the Kami Clones post purchased before the MM change they are all Port Queens.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort (psychological stress) experienced by a person who simultaneously holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values. The occurrence of cognitive dissonance is a consequence of a person performing an action that contradicts personal beliefs, ideals, and values; and also occurs when confronted with new information that contradicts said beliefs, ideals, and values.[1][2]

Stockholm syndrome consists of "strong emotional ties that develop between two persons where one person intermittently harasses, beats, threatens, abuses, or intimidates the other."[2] 

Is there a point to any of this?

• Funny 2

[NUWES]
Members
1,635 posts
5,477 battles
20 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

The title and the question don’t necessarily jive.  I have port queens because I’m grinding tech trees at the moment and don’t need retraining or a ship can’t retrain (Perth).  I have port queens because WG gave me free stuff.  I have bought what some have called crappy ships (Dunk and Gascogne) because I like having premiums to assist with grinding the Fr BBs, they are not port queens and I’ve not done too bad with them, they are not port queens.  There is dissonance with the OP.

This is my feeling as well. The OP seems to be implying that a ship becoming a "port queen" is somehow related to faulty logic (cognitive dissonance) or Stockholm syndrome. That's completely ridiculous. Without a degree in psychology or psychology I have no idea how he (or she) is making that assumption. Port Queens happen for a number of reasons. One of the biggest one the ship just doesn't fit your playstyle. YOu don't get a chance to test-drive ships before you buy them. Sometimes there isn't anything wrong with the ship you just don't like how it plays. I have a couple that became Port Queens that way. I thought I would love Warspite's playstyle but it turns out that I really hate it. Lots of people love it, but for me the turrets turn too slowly and the ship is really thin-skinned. I'm normally at least decent with BBs, but I just can't make it work and I refuse to try anymore. Scharnhorst is another one. I can make that ship work better, but it feels like a budget-Tirpitz, and I already had Tirpitz when I got it.  I got Ishizuchi dirt-cheap in a sale because back then it was the only Japanese BB I could use as a trainer. It turns out that I hate the ship. Don't get me wrong, it's leagues better than Myogi, but that really just says how bad Myogi is. Ishi's gun range (back then) was awful and it had (and still has) about as much armor as a stick of butter. I go after Ishis preferentially when I see them even now. That ship joined my Port Queen fleet and it has stayed there for years now. 

The OP's assumption also ignores that a lot of people's Port Queens are gift ships which weren't really intended to be that competitive - Mikasa, and Katori for example. It also looks like Varyag is headed that way.  Some Port Queens are freebies out of supercontainers which you didn't want and will never use. For me I have Perth, which I HATE. I bought the ship could be used as a British trainer not realizing that commonwealth ships can't take British captains (I didn't read @LittleWhiteMouse's review as clearly as I thought I did.) I then sold the turd pile back when they were giving doubloons. I then got it right back in Christmas supercontainers last year. I also got Molotov, and Krasny Krym from regular spercontainers. over the last couple of months. I didn't want them, I dislike them, but I'm stuck with them as port queens unless and until Wargaming lets me sell them for doubloons. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
8 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

This should be about all the tier 5 Premiums that no one plays anymore BC of +2 MM they always see. I have all the tier 5 Premiums except the Kami Clones post purchased before the MM change they are all Port Queens.

IronMike, of all the tier 5 premiums, about the only one that I'd call crappy is the Krazny Krym.  All of the others are more than  capable of performing well in tier 7 battles.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles
40 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

I love this ship though, it farms other cruiser citadels for days too.

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
7 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

I take out Giulio Cesare every once in a while, and it consistently gets good games.

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
5 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

A port queen is not a defective product. A few of my port queens are for example the Alabama and Kutuzov. 

Yep, same here.  I have premium ships that are considered to be one of the best premiums in game, including ships like Belfast and Kutuzov.  They are excellent ships, but I simply don’t have the time to take them all out every time I play.  I prefer to play the two T9 premiums that I enjoy very much, plus few selected T10 ships.  Once I rotate through those, my allocated game time is all gone.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,368 battles
6 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I take out Giulio Cesare every once in a while, and it consistently gets good games.

Because it's OP a drunk friggin monkey could play that ship well. Krasny Krim, Murmansk, Texas etc are all Port Queens for those with half a brain.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,472 posts
4,055 battles

How does this impact your enjoyment of the game?

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,368 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

IronMike, of all the tier 5 premiums, about the only one that I'd call crappy is the Krazny Krym.  All of the others are more than  capable of performing well in tier 7 battles.

Capable maybe but why would you want to? I love seeing tier 5's in my tier 7's hence why I don't play tier 5 unless I'm making a point like I did playing Podvoisky. 

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
3 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Because it's OP a drunk friggin monkey could play that ship well. Krasny Krim, Murmansk, Texas etc are all Port Queens for those with half a brain.

Hey you were the one who said something about owning ALL of the T5 ships except kami clones, with ALL of them being port queens...  I had to stand up for the only T5 premium I have ever spend the money on.

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,368 battles
1 minute ago, Ramsalot said:

Hey you were the one who said something about owning ALL of the T5 ships except kami clones, with ALL of them being port queens...  I had to stand up for the only T5 premium I have ever spend the money on.

+1 to you sir if I could sell them all back for doubloons except the Cesare I wouldn't hesitate for a second it's the only tier 5 worth keeping.