You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AyanoMidori

Ship Signalling

24 comments in this topic

[-ARP-]
Members
395 posts
3,623 battles

Wouldn't it be cool to see a ship's searchlights flashing when that player is typing in the chat or sending a quick command?

• Cool 16

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,716 posts
11,332 battles

It's a cool idea, but such a small thing likely to go unnoticed. I would rather seem them deal with the multitude of existing issues. Still +1 for the idea.

[-ARP-]
Members
395 posts
3,623 battles

If Wargaming could make smoke come out of funnels when the ship horn goes off, I don't see why the devs can't implement something small like this. :Smile_Default:

Members
17,786 posts
5,084 battles
5 minutes ago, AyanoMidori said:

If Wargaming could make smoke come out of funnels when the ship horn goes off, I don't see why the devs can't implement something small like this. :Smile_Default:

But it does, at least on some ships. Haven't really looked for it, but I know for sure at least Hindenburg does exactly that.

Edited by Skpstr

[O_O]
Members
783 posts
4,734 battles

Huh.

That'd be pretty neat, yeah.  If our signal flags didn't already do something completely different it'd also be neat to see them being hoisted and struck from time to time.  Or poor little SMSN Jones out on the starboard wing, semaphoring away until turned into a sticky, red poof.  

Erm, strike that last idea.  Too much caffeine today.

-R

Members
377 posts
8,269 battles

It would be kinda neat, but only if it doesn't affect gameplay, Ping/FPS wise. Should be an option to turn on/off if it does.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,049 posts
9,289 battles

I just want ship lights to be able to temporarily blind @Lord_Zath and @Kombat_W0MBAT when we div so they get distracted from my torps I launched at them.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

Many games have tried something like that, most got rid of it when players figured out how to abuse it. Wait to see the indicator that an enemy is typing, focus fire. They can't WASD if they have the chat window open.

Even if you don't wait, even if you are just firing as normal, as soon as any enemy starts typing, EVERYONE fires at that new target knowing it can't dodge.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

i think it's better to pop the chat on mini-map (like bubble linked to the talking ship), i mean right now chat is like blind, you don't know which ship is talking what, very ineffective communication tool

Edited by Happy668
  • Cool 1

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
5,573 battles

Why would you do this, as all communications between ships in the game is done via lasercomm tight beam communications that are unjamable and completely clear of distortion?

Putting in this suggestion would imply ships in WOWS are communicating through semaphore, which would completely break immersion and historical accuracy for the level of technology involved in these ships.

[O_O]
Members
783 posts
4,734 battles

As far as I know all messages are stored client-side until sent to the server when the player presses "Enter" (or "Return" I guess.)  I doubt it'd do much to influence targeting as the ship would already have to be visible to spot the flashing light.

One thing it could be used for is to target armchair admirals and/or actual skilled players who are taking the time and effort to help their teammates.  Of the two, the former is significantly more common though.  As a regular teammate of those folks; thank you in advance for smudging them into floating pools of oil and burning debris.

43 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Oh freddled gruntbuggly, Thy micturations are to me, (with big yawning)
As plurdled gabbleblotchits, On a lurgid bee,
That mordiously hath blurted out, Its earted jurtles, grumbling
Into a rancid festering confectious organ squealer. [drowned out by moaning and screaming]
Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles, Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts,
And living glupules frart and stipulate, Like jowling meated liverslime,
Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,
And hooptiously drangle me, With crinkly bindlewurdles,mashurbitries.
Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don't!
(I probably won't!)

Are... are you talking about World of Warships?  Honestly though, I understand you weren't speaking Vogon exactly but I have no earthly idea what you were trying to say.

-R

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
5,573 battles
12 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

As far as I know all messages are stored client-side until sent to the server when the player presses "Enter" (or "Return" I guess.)  I doubt it'd do much to influence targeting as the ship would already have to be visible to spot the flashing light.

One thing it could be used for is to target armchair admirals and/or actual skilled players who are taking the time and effort to help their teammates.  Of the two, the former is significantly more common though.  As a regular teammate of those folks; thank you in advance for smudging them into floating pools of oil and burning debris.

Are... are you talking about World of Warships?  Honestly though, I understand you weren't speaking Vogon exactly but I have no earthly idea what you were trying to say.

-R

While I'm sure some will recognize sarcasm in my post, the truth is that what we have in the game is a communications system that would put to shame modern data networks.

* Always transmits to your own side and -only- to your own side.

* Always reaches all ships without fail.

* Always allows the message to arrive without distortion, loss, or fragmentation.

* Cannot be intercepted, decoded, jammed, or even detected by enemy ships, even those directly between the transmitting and receiving ships.

* Works without any degredation from the time the ship enters battle till it slips between the waves (and, to the misery of some, long after).

So, not exactly sarcasm, but also a commentary that what we have in this game is a far cry from the technology of WWII.

I hope that clarifies what you were unable to understand about my post.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
783 posts
4,734 battles
14 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

I hope that clarifies what you were unable to understand about my post.

It does, thank you.

-R

[-ARP-]
Members
395 posts
3,623 battles

Yeah I did want to say it would be for your team only. A flashing light shouldn't really impact FPS, as I never stated we should actually see the shutters on the searchlights blinking.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
5,573 battles
3 minutes ago, AyanoMidori said:

Yeah I did want to say it would be for your team only. A flashing light shouldn't really impact FPS, as I never stated we should actually see the shutters on the searchlights blinking.

I think it would more be the need of the game to track the chat activity on a streaming rather than burst method. That would greatly increase the processing needed per ship as you are no longer just processing text entered in one shot but actively monitoring each individual ship constantly for activity in the chat box and causing a real-time graphic effect in the game to follow it.

Also, I don't know of any way you can block a part of a rendered model from being seen by only one side, so this would be something seen by everyone in the game.

[-ARP-]
Members
395 posts
3,623 battles

I'll let WG decide whether or not it's an issue. I know my game doesn't start lagging when somebody is blowing their ship's horn and smoke is coming from their funnel, so why would a searchlight that starts blinking when someone presses the enter key cause lag issues.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,964 posts
6,441 battles
12 hours ago, AyanoMidori said:

Wouldn't it be cool to see a ship's searchlights flashing when that player is typing in the chat or sending a quick command?

you mean like this?

tumblr_nw4l9uZ0xs1rk0k2jo1_500.gif  then yes, that'd be a neat little detail to add

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
5,573 battles
4 hours ago, AyanoMidori said:

I'll let WG decide whether or not it's an issue. I know my game doesn't start lagging when somebody is blowing their ship's horn and smoke is coming from their funnel, so why would a searchlight that starts blinking when someone presses the enter key cause lag issues.

Because instead of the chat being done at the moment the text is sent, I understood your suggestion to mean it would start flashing as soon as they started entering words and would stop once the words were done.  That means, instead of a quick burst, the program has to change to one that constantly watches each player's chat box for activity.

That aside, I do think it would be abused by people spamming chat to get lights to flash on their ship, and I don't see any way to block the enemy from seeing the same without a major overhaul of the graphics engine.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
412 posts
6,180 battles

I support that idea. I think it would be fun. Why not make a night battle as well where spotlights are required