Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

IFHE for US 5”/38 secondaries?

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,493
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts

If I do my math right, this skill would give US 5”/38 shells the ability to penetrate 28mm of armor.

Since 27mm of armor is a common break point... wouldn’t this skill significantly increase the damage of the 5”/38... against cruisers..or is my calculation not correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

either way, i don't think it's worth the 4 points in comparison to other skills. i'd rank concealment, AFT, and fire prevention above the off chance that your secondaries hit something. when they do hit something, you're better off hoping for a fire over a penetration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
740
[NG-NL]
Members
4,949 posts
8,094 battles

IFHE on US BBs is pointless since haven't the secondary range for it. I tried secondary build on NC for a while and dropped it. 8.4km max range is hardly worthwhile at high tiers unless you're a glutton for suicide rushes.

 

It will allow penetration, yes, but RoF isn't that good and range is meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,067
[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles

The new range on Massachusetts, if they buff the secondaries a bit more, might entertain it, but otherwise no.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,478
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,022 posts
7,604 battles
47 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

If I do my math right, this skill would give US 5”/38 shells the ability to penetrate 28mm of armor.

Since 27mm of armor is a common break point... wouldn’t this skill significantly increase the damage of the 5”/38... against cruisers..or is my calculation not correct?

Yep, you could get your 127mm/38s to penetrate up to 27mm of armour with IFHE.  The question of if this is worthwhile or not comes down to how often are you engaging tier VIII+ cruisers (and tier VI & VII battleships) in gunfights?   If it's a lot, then it's worthwhile.  If it's only incidental, then probably not.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
617
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
33 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The new range on Massachusetts, if they buff the secondaries a bit more, might entertain it, but otherwise no.

 

Maybe give the 5"/38 secondaries the correct RoF like everyone else gets.  I mean, I see all the American battleships panned in these forums repeatedly as trash, so why can't they give the proper RoF for the secondaries?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,024 battles

It's a BB cruiser trainer. Any USN cruiser with AA build can transfer directly to the MA for keks.

 

1.7 sigma is meh.

Edited by NeutralState

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
184
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,355 battles
4 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

If I do my math right, this skill would give US 5”/38 shells the ability to penetrate 28mm of armor.

Since 27mm of armor is a common break point... wouldn’t this skill significantly increase the damage of the 5”/38... against cruisers..or is my calculation not correct?

US secondaries = LOL :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
184
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,355 battles
2 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

Maybe give the 5"/38 secondaries the correct RoF like everyone else gets.  I mean, I see all the American battleships panned in these forums repeatedly as trash, so why can't they give the proper RoF for the secondaries?

I disagree, I think US BB' are just fine as is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,493
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts

I was actually thinking that I might try it on the MA when it comes out.  

I guess I’ll have to try it on Alabama in the training room and see how much difference it makes vs various opponentss.  My first time to use the training room!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
240
[NUWES]
Members
1,628 posts
5,475 battles
8 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yep, you could get your 127mm/38s to penetrate up to 27mm of armour with IFHE.  The question of if this is worthwhile or not comes down to how often are you engaging tier VIII+ cruisers (and tier VI & VII battleships) in gunfights?   If it's a lot, then it's worthwhile.  If it's only incidental, then probably not.

^

I get in close a lot with my American BBs, but I just can't afford the cost. It is useful, but there simply aren't enough points after you spend on other things which are more generally needed for American BBs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,493
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts
15 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

^

I get in close a lot with my American BBs, but I just can't afford the cost. It is useful, but there simply aren't enough points after you spend on other things which are more generally needed for American BBs. 

Out of curiosity, what do you consider the other things that are needed?  Just wondering how closely your picks align to mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243
[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,287 battles

At the four point level, I assume people are talking about CE, AFT, Fire Prevention, and/or Manual AA in some mix to build general line strengths in concealment and AA and mitigate the susceptibility of those long ships at upper tiers to fire spam.  Even if you wanted to have a secondary build, you would probably take AFT and Manual Secondaries first - so only by sacrificing everything else could you also get IFHE in a 3 x 4 build.

You don't have an Arkansas Beta, by chance?  Apparently (I don't) the secondaries have now become pretty good for the tier if you enjoy secondary builds.  I could see having a dedicated captain for that - but I don't know if there is a lot of 25-27 mm plate in the tier 3-5 MM bracket that IFHE would help you with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,493
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts
2 hours ago, Lillehuntrix said:

At the four point level, I assume people are talking about CE, AFT, Fire Prevention, and/or Manual AA in some mix to build general line strengths in concealment and AA and mitigate the susceptibility of those long ships at upper tiers to fire spam.  Even if you wanted to have a secondary build, you would probably take AFT and Manual Secondaries first - so only by sacrificing everything else could you also get IFHE in a 3 x 4 build.

You don't have an Arkansas Beta, by chance?  Apparently (I don't) the secondaries have now become pretty good for the tier if you enjoy secondary builds.  I could see having a dedicated captain for that - but I don't know if there is a lot of 25-27 mm plate in the tier 3-5 MM bracket that IFHE would help you with.

I do have an Arkansas beta and its fantastic.  I'm not sure IFHE would help her though.

If I do wind up building a dedicated Massachusetts captain with IFHE, I'll try him out in the Ark Beta also and see if it makes much difference there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,562
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

The 127mm DP /38 guns on USN BBs aren't worth IFHE.  Right now their range is so poor it's not a good investment.  Hell, if you have an extra 4 points you're yearning to spend, you can go for a Manual AA Build on a USN BB and really cause some CV tears.

 

Manual AA would play into the strengths high tier USN BBs are already known for:  Great AA capability, whereas secondaries have always been of questionable at best reputation.  Even the better secondaries found on Montana are woeful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

Funny enough, since the HE shell used by the 5"/38 Mark 12 guns (both primaries and secondaries) is actually the semi-armor piercing Mk 32 Common, it should theoretically have IFHE built in. Not that I'm suggesting that this should actually happen, but I just like to point that out. :fish_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
671 posts
2,201 battles

Give the 127/38 its actual 20 RPM and ... maybe on the Massachusetts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[SYN]
Members
4,521 posts
11,433 battles
21 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

If I do my math right, this skill would give US 5”/38 shells the ability to penetrate 28mm of armor.

Since 27mm of armor is a common break point... wouldn’t this skill significantly increase the damage of the 5”/38... against cruisers..or is my calculation not correct?

US BB secondaries, while serviceable, aren't worth the 4-points spent on IFHE when there are far more useful level-4 skills for US BB captains.  Namely, Concealment and AFT, with the latter helping the secondaries more than IFHE.  You get the added range and you'll still start fires, while with IFHE you lose a chunk of fire chance and gain a negligible damage gain on few more penetrations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×