Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
shotgun2010

superintendent skill

15 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
786 battles

whenever I play a BB, I feel like superintendent is wasted cuz I run premium consumables and that gives me 4 heals, which is normally enough to last me the whole game... 

I don't know if the extra heal is important for higher tier games, and I don't want to be wasting 3 skill points... plz advise

Edited by shotgun2010

Members
22 posts
786 battles
Just now, Stauffenberg44 said:

Have you considered using the 3 pts for something else?

[lol]

I was planning fire prevention... 

i'd have to give up the double fighter skill

Edited by shotgun2010

[DESU]
Members
180 posts
4,293 battles

HP is a resource for BB's that you spend, it's all about opportunity cost when we play BB's

The more HP you have, the more risks you can take to do more damage, simple as that.

Another heal charge is another 10-40k HP at high tier, giving you more opportunities.

Superintendent is way too good to not have at high tier, the only other upgrade that comes close is survivability expert, but that's only mitigation.

(Also fire-prevention is a tier 4 skill)

Edited by Arlios
  • Cool 1

Members
22 posts
786 battles
5 minutes ago, Arlios said:

HP is a resource for BB's that you spend, it's all about opportunity cost when we play BB's

The more HP you have, the more risks you can take to do more damage, simple as that.

Another heal charge is another 10-40k HP at high tier, giving you more opportunities.

Superintendent is way too good to not have at high tier, the only other upgrade that comes close is survivability expert, but that's only mitigation.

(Also fire-prevention is a tier 4 skill)

what I've found is that if I play aggressive enough to be using heals consistently, I die with a few heals in reserve

if I play safer, I end up using only 1 or 2 heals, rendering superintendent useless. 

[DESU]
Members
180 posts
4,293 battles
11 minutes ago, shotgun2010 said:

what I've found is that if I play aggressive enough to be using heals consistently, I die with a few heals in reserve

if I play safer, I end up using only 1 or 2 heals, rendering superintendent useless. 

Do what you do,

If you're dying with heals, you're too aggressive, if you have heals to spare by the end of a long game, you're too passive.

Edited by Arlios
  • Cool 1

[SOA]
Alpha Tester
557 posts
2,486 battles

I used to feel that Vigilance was a better first 3-point pick compared to Superintendent, back in the day. Now, though, the value of Vigi is significantly diminished by deepwater torps, and the prevalence of firespam means Superintendent is basically a must-have; if you're playing passively enough that you're not burning through all your heals, you could be doing a lot more for your team.

--Helms

[VW]
Members
1,833 posts
12,288 battles
2 hours ago, shotgun2010 said:

Extremely true.

[VW]
Members
1,833 posts
12,288 battles
2 hours ago, Arlios said:

Do what you do,

If you're dying with heals, you're too aggressive, if you have heals to spare by the end of a long game, you're too passive.

This is not accurate. It is very easy to deal large amounts of damage without taking damage in return. If this was not the case cruiser play would be even less frequent than it already is.

[RKLES]
Members
7,104 posts
8,758 battles

I have plenty of matches wher I burn through all 5 of my heals in battles to ensure victory. While not always in need of all 5 heals it still is nice to have them.

Members
842 posts
3 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

This is not accurate. It is very easy to deal large amounts of damage without taking damage in return. If this was not the case cruiser play would be even less frequent than it already is.

(we're talking about BBs here, not cruiser or DDs, so stay on topic)

In a BB, if you're not soaking up damage in either direct form or via potential damage, you're not doing your job correctly.  Sitting around safely sniping is bad play, period. Because that means the parts of your team that are LEAST able to deal with being shot are are the focus of enemy fire, whereas you, in the BB, are the MOST capable of dealing with said enemy fire, and aren't doing so. 

Not tanking in a BB is just as bad as refusing to ever cap in a DD.

So, yeah, if you're not running through your heals consistently, then it's your playstyle that needs to be fixed.  Remember that doing damage is NOT the only job of a BB, and, arguably, it's not even the most important job of a BB.

A large part of good BB play is standing around going "Hey, look at ME! SHOOT AT ME!" while your DD and CA friendlies go do important stuff without getting noticed.  Like capping. Or doing raw DPM. Or being given the opportunity to stealth torp or take advantageous positions without opposition. Or distracting the enemy team from finishing off a wounded friendly before they can hide.  You will take damage doing this, and that's why you have armor and heals. Not using them is simply bad play.

That's not to say that SI is a required BB skill (at least, not in the way that CE is for non-russian DDs).  It's a very helpful skill, but the OP does have a reasonable point that if you're running Premium Repair Party all the time, then it may very well make sense to at least delay getting SI over another skill:  BoS is a good possibility instead, as it reduces the need for heals.

Edited by EAnybody

[VW]
Members
1,833 posts
12,288 battles
3 hours ago, EAnybody said:

(we're talking about BBs here, not cruiser or DDs, so stay on topic)

In a BB, if you're not soaking up damage in either direct form or via potential damage, you're not doing your job correctly.  Sitting around safely sniping is bad play, period. Because that means the parts of your team that are LEAST able to deal with being shot are are the focus of enemy fire, whereas you, in the BB, are the MOST capable of dealing with said enemy fire, and aren't doing so. 

Not tanking in a BB is just as bad as refusing to ever cap in a DD.

So, yeah, if you're not running through your heals consistently, then it's your playstyle that needs to be fixed.  Remember that doing damage is NOT the only job of a BB, and, arguably, it's not even the most important job of a BB.

A large part of good BB play is standing around going "Hey, look at ME! SHOOT AT ME!" while your DD and CA friendlies go do important stuff without getting noticed.  Like capping. Or doing raw DPM. Or being given the opportunity to stealth torp or take advantageous positions without opposition. Or distracting the enemy team from finishing off a wounded friendly before they can hide.  You will take damage doing this, and that's why you have armor and heals. Not using them is simply bad play.

That's not to say that SI is a required BB skill (at least, not in the way that CE is for non-russian DDs).  It's a very helpful skill, but the OP does have a reasonable point that if you're running Premium Repair Party all the time, then it may very well make sense to at least delay getting SI over another skill:  BoS is a good possibility instead, as it reduces the need for heals.

you have an interesting opinon. the playstyle you describe is highly theoretical and assumes dds will spot, and cas kill dds. the number of times i've been in the open while playing bb and had cas and dds ignore enemy dds is so many that i'm convinced to expect otherwise is folly. depending on each ship type to do it's role is only safe in div or clan battle play. in randoms it's quite frankly everyone for himself, in which case firing effectively from cover is to me the safest way to play if playing solo (in high tiers). if you play tier 5 ish of course you can rush in a bb and come out winning. this is the reason i've suggested previously for bounties to be awarded for ships performing their intended roles. just this morning i had in 3 seperate matches 3 different zao's ignore dds withing 10 km to fire he at a full health bb. if i dont see cas shooting dds then no, i will not tank for them.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,568 posts
3,739 battles

Superintendent is extremely useful for ships like the Nelson, Lion, and Conqueror, they get less heal charges compared to other battleships and so having that extra charge increases that much more potential health to be in play.

• Cool 1

Members
842 posts
8 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

you have an interesting opinon. the playstyle you describe is highly theoretical and assumes dds will spot, and cas kill dds. the number of times i've been in the open while playing bb and had cas and dds ignore enemy dds is so many that i'm convinced to expect otherwise is folly. depending on each ship type to do it's role is only safe in div or clan battle play. in randoms it's quite frankly everyone for himself, in which case firing effectively from cover is to me the safest way to play if playing solo (in high tiers). if you play tier 5 ish of course you can rush in a bb and come out winning. this is the reason i've suggested previously for bounties to be awarded for ships performing their intended roles. just this morning i had in 3 seperate matches 3 different zao's ignore dds withing 10 km to fire he at a full health bb. if i dont see cas shooting dds then no, i will not tank for them.

Bad play on others part does not excuse bad play on yours.

Tanking is also not the same thing as rushing - it's merely exposing yourself to be shot at, in particular making yourself a more appealing target than nearby friendlies.  Also using chat and the designation keys helps a lot to get people to pay attention to important stuff.

That's not to say that things will always work out rosy. But if you don't hold to your role, you're hurting the team's chances of winning overall. 

Edited by EAnybody

[VW]
Members
1,833 posts
12,288 battles
7 hours ago, EAnybody said:

Bad play on others part does not excuse bad play on yours.

Tanking is also not the same thing as rushing - it's merely exposing yourself to be shot at, in particular making yourself a more appealing target than nearby friendlies.  Also using chat and the designation keys helps a lot to get people to pay attention to important stuff.

That's not to say that things will always work out rosy. But if you don't hold to your role, you're hurting the team's chances of winning overall. 

Qute but wrong. I help whichever team i’m on by my mere assignment to the team. In general its those assigned to my team that hurt my chances of winning except when it’s my turn to be on that team composed exclusively of top 10 ranked players

Sign in to follow this