You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PotatoMarshal

Astoria on live server?

14 comments in this topic

[ARP2]
Members
7 posts
1,488 battles

Spotted an Astoria during a game today on the live server, I thought Wargaming haven't implemented the new cruisers yet?

Astoria.thumb.png.2c7b2539be7271111897d2412b59e014.png

[AXANR]
Members
3,361 posts
16,547 battles

They are on the live server for testing only. A small group of players, called supertesters, get to play new boats on the live server before release to test them. That way the devs can see how they work in the actual live server meta. 

From my understanding, supertesters also have to do a lot of analysis and reporting about the ships they test...it's not just 'go have fun playing the new ship' like the public test server is. You have to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) that you won't leak info about the new ships. And they're pretty selective about who they let be a supertester. But it's always cool to see how a ship performs by watching a supertester put one through its paces. :)

Edit: I forgot, community contributors (streamers, YouTubers, review writers like LWM, etc.) also get to play with the boats early, as do the Wiki editors. But they also have certain rules they have to follow. It's not a lot of people compared to the server population...I''m sure that well under 1% of active players get early access for being in one of those three categories. 

Edited by poeticmotion
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,228 posts
8,804 battles

Supertesters and other "special" people have them for testing.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

other "special" people have them for testing.

Hopefully one of those "Special" persons is @LittleWhiteMouse, and we'll get another kick-[edited]review soon! (Yeah, Tiger it IS a hint!)

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,228 posts
8,804 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Hopefully one of those "Special" persons is @LittleWhiteMouse, and we'll get another kick-[edited]review soon! (Yeah, Tiger it IS a hint!)

I would think that she is one of those "special" people.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,968 posts
12,487 battles
42 minutes ago, Umikami said:

39 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I would think that she is one of those "special" people.

She does have the ship but don't expect a full review. It's not a premium ship that's going to be sold.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
53 minutes ago, Lert said:

She does have the ship but don't expect a full review. It's not a premium ship that's going to be sold.

Ahhhhhhh! Life is hard ...

[AXANR]
Members
3,361 posts
16,547 battles
8 hours ago, Lert said:

7 hours ago, Umikami said:

Ahhhhhhh! Life is hard ...

Yeah, but LWM has a finite amount of time to do reviews, so I for one would rather see her focus time on premiums where I have a limited time to make a decision (during ships' initial offerings) and have to spend real money to acquire her without being able to try her out first, as opposed to tech tree ships where, if I hate it, I just sell it and grind more credits to replace the ones I spent. She's probably saved me a couple hundred bucks on not buying ships I would have bought without her review, and made WG about $50 buying ships I might have overlooked with her review. Once I'm back off unemployment (got laid off recently) I'm looking forward to supporting her Patreon just as a thank you for the money she's saved me. :D

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
297 posts
4,976 battles

Flambass has been playing the Astoria on his twitch and from what I have seen he likes it quite a bit at tier 7.  He also did like the Columbia, but mentioned it had a high risk high reward play style mostly due to the mb range.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
13 hours ago, Lert said:

It's not a premium ship that's going to be sold.

Then what is it?

[WAG]
Members
379 posts
7,274 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Then what is it?

"American cruiser Astoria, tier VII, is the ex-New Orleans, moved one tier down. The new name is a placeholder until the ship is released to avoid confusion with the existing one. Original name will be returned upon release."

[HINON]
Supertester
18,968 posts
12,487 battles
9 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Then what is it?

5 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

"American cruiser Astoria, tier VII, is the ex-New Orleans, moved one tier down. The new name is a placeholder until the ship is released to avoid confusion with the existing one. Original name will be returned upon release."

^

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
4 hours ago, DustRhino said:

Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, Lert said:

^

I can't believe you got ninja'd on that one, but thank you also!

• Cool 1